Start by marking “Kako nastane strip” as Want to Read:
Kako nastane strip

Kako nastane strip (The Comic Books #3)

4.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,299 Ratings  ·  234 Reviews
Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics was published in 1993, just as "Comics Aren't Just for Kids Anymore!" articles were starting to appear and graphic novels were making their way into the mainstream, and it quickly gave the newly respectable medium the theoretical and practical manifesto it needed. With his clear-eyed and approachable analysis--done using the same comics ...more
264 pages
Published (first published 2006)

Aaron
Mar 25, 2007 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pencilers, Manga-ka, nerds, dorks, geeks, spazzes, dweebs, me
The frustrating thing about how authoritative McCloud is is the fact that he's essentially right about everything. I've read it half-a-dozen times, and I'm doing the chapter exercises, and I'm very angry about how correct he often is.
Carlos
Sep 14, 2012 Carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Scott McCloud propone con Making Comics una visión para aspirantes a profesionales del cómic que ojalá todos leyesen. También sus lectores, ya que proporciona un marco de referencia nada dogmático pero inestimable para comprenderlos y valorarlos. Y lo hace con màs claridad expositiva, espíritu didáctico y modestia que ningún ensayista de cualquier tema que haya leído nunca.

Sólo por esta lección sería obligado, pero además sus reflexiones son acertadas, ¡y sentatas!. Autor de la apreciada y exit
Trey
Mar 28, 2011 Trey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always wondered why the master of explaining comics has never achieved the status of master of creating comics. Scott McCloud admits as much in the first few pages of "Making Comics," and I assumed for most of the book that it's a case of "those who can't do teach." If he had the innate ability to put great ideas on paper, maybe he wouldn't have the time (or the ability) to analyze comics so well. Towards the end, though, McCloud mentions another factor that may be holding him back when he ...more
Eric
Dec 06, 2010 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comics artists or fans
Shelves: comics, nonfiction, art, how-to
This is an excellent book for anyone who is interested in making comics, or just learning about the theory behind them.

Scott McCloud lays out the fundamental building blocks and questions behind creating a comic, and covers them in depth. He eschews questions of technical execution and personal style in favor of theory and design.

He covers communication, pacing, framing, and transitions in excellent detail. His chapter on the tools available is more brief, but gives a beginning cartoonist enough
J.G. Keely
May 24, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Scott McCloud. He is insightful and funny and his analytic method is always useful in dissection of concept. I find that the conscientious author tends to be the superior author, and for this reason, McCLoud is indispensable.

Another thing that is refreshing about McCloud is that he takes the medium very seriously, and reminds us, as creators, that we have a responsibility to the art to do everything we can with it, and not simply accept the given standards.

In a lot of ways, this b
Toby
Feb 28, 2016 Toby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic writers, comic artists
Recommended to Toby by: Raquel
I got this book when I was really young, and it's what got me into comics. I have to get a new copy, because the one I have is falling apart from so much reading, re-reading, and referencing.
If you want to get into writing and/or drawing comics, this book is essential. Every time I read it I notice a new gold nugget of information or philosophy that inspires me to go and make more comics.
Tamahome
May 21, 2014 Tamahome rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm not going to make comics, but I still find it interesting to read about storytelling. Remember, symmetry means life.

All done. If you liked Understanding Comics, it's pretty much more of the same. Plus he references a ton of indie comics and they're indexed in the back. He also has Reinventing Comics, but that seems to be unpopular, heh.

Alex Ristea
Nov 16, 2013 Alex Ristea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Fantastic, fantastic introductory book to the world of comics. It's told in an easy, conversational style, making for a quick, yet deeply effective read.

In the end, story is story, no matter the medium.

Even though I'm garbage at drawing, I hope this will inform my own writing, or at least make me see the graphic novels I read in a new light.

Paulo Galindro
Apr 08, 2016 Paulo Galindro rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Uma bíblia para quem, como eu, estiver com ganas de mergulhar de cabeça na concepção de uma novela gráfica.
Eleanor
Apr 29, 2015 Eleanor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is an excellent book for anyone interested in writing comics and wants some tips and tricks to help them on their way. I am personally working on creating my first comic book and though I have had years of art education and lessons in how to draw I have never learned anything about incorporating that into a narrative structure. So this book was exactly what I was looking for.

Unlike most books about making your own comic this is not a how to draw book. It is very firm in it’s view that you c
Danielle Freeman
I picked up this book because, as a student of animation, I believe firmly that knowing how comics work and what makes them work is essential to being able to make a good animated film or series. After all, animation as we know it was born of comics. What I discovered in this book was not just a guide to making great comics, but to telling great stories.

In Making Comics, McCloud lays down the fundamentals of storytelling through text and pictures--everything from character design to world buildi
Erik
Jan 24, 2009 Erik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I was never a huge fan of his retro-esque work on the 80s Zot!, Scott McCloud has become – in my eyes – the hero of modern comic book structural theory and analysis. And one heck of an effective writer and artist at conveying the hidden truths of this ever-developing medium, I might add. He is neither condescending nor intellectually ambiguous – despite his evident braininess.

As the author/artist of two earlier ground-breaking works – Understanding and Reinventing Comics (both of which
Sofia
Sep 06, 2009 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Comic book readers and artists
Shelves: graphic-novels, art
Being rather new to the comics world (I only started reading them more steadily last year), I was eager to know more about the medium, and various online searches kept pointing to Understanding Comics The Invisible Art (also by Scott McCloud) as a great starting point. Unfortunately, at the time I set out to buy it it was unavailable, so I settled for this one instead.

I have to say I loved it! It really opened my eyes to a lot of details I was missing, or rather, things that I was aware of on an
Juan Bosco
Mar 29, 2011 Juan Bosco rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Si hay algo evidente en los libros que Scott McCloud ha escrito acerca de los cómics es que de verdad ama a ese medio. Este libro parte de los principios, análisis y teoría expuestos por McCloud en Understanding Comics para explicar ahora cómo se hace un cómic.
Desde las ideas abstractas e intuitivas como el ritmo y fluyo de la historia, hasta los aspectos técnicos del dibujo y las herramientas que se usan para crear una página de cómic. Todo explicado de la manera más lógica posible: a través de
Erin
(I don't do stars.)

Not an artist, not a cartoonist. I just love reading guides for creative activities that aren't my own.

Making Comics concerns itself with decisions about the form that can happen organically or chosen deliberately. As a "happen organically" type, I really appreciate anything I can soak up on the other side. The section on Stories for Humans should be required reading for anyone who tells them. The rest is excellent for any writer who wants to take on the challenge of thinking
Ashley
Mar 19, 2015 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book. I can't count the times that McCloud said, "A complete understanding of this topic is beyond the scope of this book, buuuut let me do all the hard work and give you the highlights." And so he did. I am a theory-minded person so his breakdown was particularly helpful to me and those who think in more abstract terms. But of course the entire book is one big comic so there are tons of illustrative pictures and comparisons for those who want to see a more concrete example! ...more
Zack Patten
This book was very helpful. It has helped me understand how to properly make a comic. I feel that in reading this I have a better idea on how to do my Graphic Novel final. It is definitely a good read if you want to learn how to make a proper comic.
Desiree
Jun 30, 2008 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book should be retitled as "Making Comics the Scott McCloud way," and he even admits to it. Then again, I suppose one can only teach what one knows, and he has definitely done his homework. Even though it gets a bit ranty at some points, you can tell that McCloud is someone who really and truly cares about his craft, as well as those who are 'drawn' to it.

I don't think that this book is quite as accessible as the others--it presumes a lot of foreknowledge. I found the sections about facial
Phoebe
Truly a masterpiece, this is a one-book non-credit course on exactly the title: Making Comics. Also, the little comic version of Scott is hilarious and inventive in all the bizarre shapes it takes to show and share with us the many elements, styles, shapes, and considerations that go into making comics and graphic novels.
Noah Dennie
Mar 08, 2015 Noah Dennie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book Making Comics: By Scott McCloud you learn about almost everything there is to know about making a comic. There are chapters on the facial expressions of your characters and body language, the importance of the setting, how to create a realistic scene, what to do when you have a "boring" character, the different tools you can use to make your comic, the flow of the reader's eye, the different styles of art and countless other things!

In my opinion, one of the best things about this boo
Daniel
Feb 17, 2014 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is ESSENTIAL reading for anyone with an interest in....well, making comics! Though it is also an excellent reference for people with an interest in digging into the mechanics of storytelling in the comic book medium. Like his seminal work "Understanding Comics", McCloud's broad approach to the material and fun, laid-back style makes the concepts that he discusses easily digestable. It also means that many of the concepts he explores - such as pacing and character creation - can be applied t ...more
Althea J.
May 20, 2015 Althea J. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McCloud uses the graphic novel medium to look behind the curtain of the industry and artistry of the graphic novel. He puts forth an understanding of comics and its potential for the future in a way that is refreshingly inclusive, encouraging, and empowering. He breaks down the elements of comic creation into its most basic components and synthesizes the ideas behind them in thought-provoking ways. McCloud challenges the reader/aspiring/current creator to push beyond what is known.

McCloud's worl
Quin Herron
Aug 03, 2015 Quin Herron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Obviously if you have any interest in making comics this book is for you. Scott McCloud uses his deep knowledge of the medium to explain everything except the more technical aspects you would just learn from practice anyway. For those of us who may never put one panel next to another, this book offers a glimpse into the unique perspective creating great comics demand. Not to mention the patience, the consistency, and the commitment. A cartoonist is faced with countless decisions to tell his stor ...more
Ifa Inziati
Mar 22, 2014 Ifa Inziati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sukaaaaaaaaaa

Nyantai banget bacanya. Ngalir. Tapi nggak melupakan hal esensial yang harus disampaikan. Dibanding sama Understanding Comics yang menurut saya masih terlihat menggurui dan menampilkan banyak statistik (duh, grafik mah taro aja di jurnal ya Bang McCloud hehe) yang ini kece berat. Nggak bikin pusing, buat yang nggak suka komik pun mungkin bakal senang baca ini.

Terus, saya mau kasih poin plus soal tujuan Abangnya (penulisnya, biar sok akrab) bikin buku ini: untuk mengingatkan saya sen
Paul
Oct 04, 2009 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I once wrote a 6-page comic and was blessed to have someone illustrate it. I don't think I'll ever do get involved with such a thing again, but this book is very interesting regardless. The information on emotion is influenced by Dr. Eckman's studies and worth a read all on its own. I can't wait to read Understanding Comics.
Sierra Randolph
May 01, 2015 Sierra Randolph rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: scholars, knowledge gluttons, art enthusiasts, comic enthusiasts, authors, artists, ANYONE
Absolutely one of my favorite books. I have read Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics multiple times each. Together, they have given me so much understanding regarding storytelling, perception of art, and comics as a medium.

For this book specifically: this is both a "conclusion" to the "trilogy" and a standalone companion of sorts. It's more interactive than the other two while still providing a framework for why these things are important (or at least important to think a
Brandon James
Dec 05, 2014 Brandon James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great companion piece to Understanding Comics and could very well stand on its own as an introduction to the teachings of Scott McCloud or to the world of comics and graphic novels.

I've always wanted to make comics and dabbled in it when I was much, much younger and this book has lit a fire in me yet again. I probably won't pursue any creation, but I have started to practice drawing again every day. I have also started reading comics again and I believe this book has heightened my crea
Taylor Ellwood
May 17, 2014 Taylor Ellwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, comics
If you want to write comics or create art for comics or do both this book is essential. And if you're a writer of prose, I still recommend this book because it'll help you appreciate writing from a different angle. If you enjoy reading comics books and want to know what happens on the creation end of them, then this book is a must read. There are some excellent ideas, and McCloud does a great job of providing readers a chance to peak behind the curtain and understand what happens when you make c ...more
Jeff Jackson
Sep 08, 2008 Jeff Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Anyone interesting in storytelling period will find some great tips here, including a fascinating chapter on facial expressions and physical gestures and an essential section on how Manga works.
Theresa C. C.
Apr 25, 2016 Theresa C. C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After borrowing this from my local library, I purchased a copy for myself-- that's how highly I esteem Mr. McCloud's instruction. Whether you want to draw comics or simply understand the art form more fully, this is the book to read. McCloud's use of comics to explain comics is brilliant, and far more intuitive than simply reading about the process.

I'm not sure I've got the chops to launch into creating a graphic novel of my own, but this book has been my entree into the genre (yes, I'm a late
  • Comics and Sequential Art
  • Drawing Words and Writing Pictures
  • How To Make Webcomics
  • Perspective! for Comic Book Artists: How to Achieve a Professional Look in your Artwork
  • Writing for Comics, Vol. 1
  • The DC Comics Guide to Writing Comics
  • Reading Comics
  • How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
  • Vanishing Point: Perspective for Comics from the Ground Up
  • The Animator's Survival Kit: A Manual of Methods, Principles, and Formulas for Classical, Computer, Games, Stop Motion and Internet Animators
  • Framed Ink: Drawing and Composition for Visual Storytellers
  • Creating Characters with Personality
  • Cartooning: Philosophy and Practice
  • Writers on Comics Scriptwriting, Vol. 1
  • Writing for Comics with Peter David
  • Cartooning the Head and Figure
  • Mythology: The DC Comics Art of Alex Ross
  • The Ten-Cent Plague: The Great Comic-Book Scare and How it Changed America
Scott McCloud (born Scott McLeod) is an American cartoonist and theorist on comics as a distinct literary and artistic medium.
More about Scott McCloud...

The Comic Books (3 books)
  • Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
  • Reinventing Comics: How Imagination and Technology Are Revolutionizing an Art Form

“If you just write the kinds of stories you think others will want to read, you'll be competing with cartoonists who are far more enthusiastic for that kind of comic than you are, and they'll kick your ass every time.” 7 likes