Start by marking “The Mountain of Gold” as Want to Read:
The Mountain of Gold

The Mountain of Gold (The Journals of Matthew Quinton #2)

3.48  ·  Rating Details  ·  101 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Beset by pirates, Knights of Malta, and saboteurs, Matthew Quinton sails to Africa in this buoyant sequel to Gentleman Captain.

When a captured Barbary pirate saves his neck with the story of a fabled mountain of gold, Captain Matthew Quinton has his doubts. But King Charles II can’t resist the chance to outstrip the Dutch with a limitless source of wealth. With the deviou
Published January 31st 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Mountain of Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountain of Gold

Rob Ballister
Jan 23, 2016 Rob Ballister rated it liked it
Shelves: english-navy
J. D. Davies' second novel, THE MOUNTAIN OF GOLD, is a decent sequel to his first book, GENTLEMAN CAPTAIN.

In this second work, Captain Matthew Quinton is back, this time serving as commanding first the king's warship Wessex and then the brand new Seraph. No longer a rookie seamen, Quinton has a more confident demeanor on the open sea than before, yet is still humble enough to know that he needs to learn more.

While operating in Africa, his ship captures an Arab pirate who by law should go to the
Marko
Mar 03, 2016 Marko rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining story, overall, although the first half of the book can get heavy-going with the family intrigue that keeps us waiting for the descriptions of naval life and African expedition. The characterisation leaves something to be hoped for, but the historical detail and the rarely explored era in naval history novels makes up for it.

Full review at:

Kevin
Nov 13, 2014 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The second book of our Gentleman Captain from England in the 1600’s. Not so good as the first as more than half the book is about his brother’s wedding to some mysterious woman. The mystery is more or less solved in the end, but I was hoping for more naval action, and less about the intrigue of the Court of Charles the II.

Don’t read this until you have read the first book, as I think you would miss out on the evolution of many of the characters. Colorful, but ‘bitchy’ characters (they whine exce
L. (I need one of these, do they come in threes? cuz I need to squeeze them)
A delightful read. I may have found an author with the strength to wrench me out of Bernard Cornwell's grasp.

While most of the story takes place on a ship, Davies doesn't obliterate me with all that sea speak of fo'c's'le or jib or I see flashes of light from the harbour which I'm really not into.

The second book in a series - again I'm reading a series out of order because this book was on sale when the first one was not. What was I saying? I got distracted. Oh yes, I was simply going to say tha
Jeff Miller
Dec 27, 2011 Jeff Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in a series featuring the "Gentleman Captain" Captain Matthew Quinton which takes place during the time of King Charles II.

The first book was an enjoyable read, but not without flaws. The use of a major coincidence to resolve the ending of the book soured it a little.

This book though was an improvement on many levels and while there is a bit of coincidences in it, they are minor without the plot depending on them. Once again we see intrigues regarding Captain Quinton's fa
TC
Jan 29, 2012 TC rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seventeenth century naval adventure is the second in the Matthew Quinton journals series, but I found this on Netgalley, was intrigued and read it without having read Gentleman Captain first. Matthew Quinton is an inexperienced young captain who is also brother of an Earl, and heir to the title. When he captures a galley from under the nose of a Maltese Knight he discovers an Irishman, posing as a barbary pirate, who has tales of a mountain of gold. This tale stays his execution and maps ou ...more
Patricia O'Sullivan
Young British naval captain, Matthew Quinton, is on his third mission, hunting down Barbary pirates in the Mediterranean when his ship sights a crippled galleon with a Maltese galley bearing down on her. Quinton and his crew pluck the prize from the galley only to learn the captain of the galleon, Omar Ibrahim, is actually an Irishman, Brian Doyle O’Dwyer, and that it is O’Dwyer, not his cargo, that the Maltese are after. Quinton brings O’Dwyer back to England to be tried for treason, but O’Dwye ...more
effie
Jan 10, 2016 effie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
for a book where a man gets his face ripped off by a lion, another is beheaded by a crocodile, an entire harbor is set on fire, and we hang out with the literal king of england, this book is relentlessly, incredibly, mercilessly boring. I wanted so badly to like it - history! tall ships! royals! adventure! - but good grief; it's like slogging through treacle. stick with aubreyad.
D.J. Butler
There's a lot of Napoleonic-era naval fiction out there, some of it world-class literature. This rousing adventure tale, awash in Dutch colonizers, African kings, French intrigue, dastardly knights of Malta and perfidious Irishmen turned Turk, is set a century earlier, in the time of Charles II. Captain Matthew Quinton -- who may or may not be heir to the earldom of Ravensden, depending on the outcome of his brother's marriage to a known conniver and suspected murderess -- sails with mixed feeli ...more
Curtis Rhodes
Apr 05, 2012 Curtis Rhodes rated it liked it
Now, I'm a big fan of Patrick O'Brien and the wonderful adventures of Jack Aubrey on his ship The Surprise as they sailed the seas during the Napoleonic years and so this book, whose cover even looks like one of O'Brien's books, had a lot to live up to. I'm sorry to say that I didn't find this book had quite the same beautifully written mix of amazing characters and sense of actually being aboard a man of war as when I sailed with Captain Jack. The Mountain of Gold and this hero, Matthew Quinton ...more
Trish
Three, but a high three.

Good things about the first two Matthew Quinton books: interesting period, lively prose, liberal use of the word "whipstaff", properly proofed manuscripts which make the reading experience easier. Also some humor.

Things that could be improved: stories are a little thin, characters are not very well developed.

Will I read the next one? Yes I will.
Emily
Jun 03, 2012 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just checked this out of the liebrary and my book has a diffrent look then what this one is. I am enjoying this book, the chapters are a tad long but I am on chapter 4 going into five. I am almost half way through this book and it is very good. I do think you need to know a little of old English hummar to understand some of the book. But over all the chapters are very interesting and so I am loving it.

I loved this book. Very interesting and some humor considering the time period.
Rachel
May 27, 2011 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: ship-books
Ugh. Barely made it through. Skimmed the last 1/4. So bored. I think the first-person narrative was very limiting in a book that needed sweep and scope to hold my attention. Matt Quinton (whose name is great, anyway) bored my eyes out with his tactic of telling the reader he has an idea, and then not telling me what it is, until the reveal at the end of the chapter, when I think "Oh, so you didn't think what you said you thought. Whatever."
James Nelson
Oct 23, 2014 James Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nautical-fiction
I enjoyed this book very much. Davies knows the Restoration period through and through, and it's not a period you often read about. He knows the seamanship aspects, too, and weaves a good, tight story.
Nick Jones
As others have said, not Patrick O'Brian. But nice to see the English Restoration period as the subject. Sentimentalizes too much on an intense subject, the beginning of the slave trade.
DROPPING OUT
Not as thrilling as the first volume in this series. Too little derring-do that marks the genre. Also, mixture of 17th century mixed with contemporary usage made for a jarring experience.
Michael Rhode
Apr 28, 2015 Michael Rhode rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A fun series set in the English Restoration, rather than the Napoleonic wars so the ships are smaller, and the Dutch are the enemy.
J.B. Siewers
interesting side plots and great descriptions of the 1660's England, and Europe/Africa
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Chuck
Chuck marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
mike
mike marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Andy L Stoelting
Andy L Stoelting rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
J
J rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Anders
Anders marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2016
John Addison
John Addison marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
Mrs Lindsey Wilson
Mrs Lindsey Wilson rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Charles
Charles is currently reading it
Mar 07, 2016
Adcarroll
Adcarroll rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Author of 'The Journals of Matthew Quinton', a series of naval historical fiction set in the Restoration period, and of non-fiction books including 'Pepys's Navy' and 'Blood of Kings'. Currently living in Bedfordshire, UK, but originally from Llanelli in West Wales.

More about J.D. Davies...

The Journals of Matthew Quinton (5 books)
  • Gentleman Captain
  • The Blast that Tears the Skies (The Journals of Matthew Quinton, #3)
  • The Lion of Midnight  (The Journals of Matthew Quinton, #4)
  • The Battle Of All The Ages