Start by marking “Rubinė (Meilė keliauja laiku, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rubinė (Meilė keliauja laiku, #1)

Rubinė (The Ruby Red Trilogy #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  52,916 ratings  ·  5,856 reviews
Nuotaikingas, nuotykių kupinas pasakojimas apie šešiolikmetę Gvendoliną Šepard. Ji ne tik regi vaiduoklius ir lietvamzdžių chimeras, bet netikėtai paveldi kelionių laiku geną, leidžiantį elapsuoti - persikelti į praeitį. Ten ji susiduria su paslaptinguoju grafu Sen Žermenu, susitinka su savo proprosenele ir patiria daugybę kvapą gniaužiančių išgyvenimų.

Nekontroliuojamos k
Published March 2010 by Alma littera (first published January 6th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rubinė, please sign up.

Ariane Yes, of course! l read it for the first time when I was eleven and it's a really funny love story.

Sasha Alsberg
I'll be uploading my review to my YouTube channel abookutopia!! (I review both the book & the movie).
Loved this book!!!
Ariel
Review to come.. It's 2:42am! THIS DARNED GREAT BOOK MADE ME STAY UP SO LATE!
____________

Okay! So it's the 27th now, and I'm ready to write my review. The first thing that should be apparent is that I loved this book. I gave it 5/5 stars, and it kept me up into the ridiculous hours of the night on both of the days that I read it. I recommend it to all!

Now, let's break it up.

Firstly, plot. One of the main reasons I loved this book was because it was constantly exciting. The plot kept up at a grea
Kat O'Keeffe
Loved this book! Gwen is such a charming and funny character, her voice and personality were great! The time travel aspect was well thought out, and I'm really liking how the main mystery is developing. Definitely looking forward to finishing this trilogy! (Even though the third book doesn't come out until OCTOBER! *sigh*)
Christine Riccio
I had so much fun reading this book. I love the narrator! I just posted my booktalk/discussion: http://youtu.be/b5bTqUrWG2I =D
Etnik
4 SOLID STARS!

description

Full review to come!
Tatiana
I knew Ruby Red wouldn't be quite my type of YA lit after reading first couple of pages of it. Even though the main character, Gwyneth, is 16 going on 17, she sounds about 12. Naturally, a quick decision-maker that I am, I made up my mind to drop it right after finishing chapter 1. After finishing chapter 1 I decided to drop it after chapter 2, and so it went...

Gwyneth is a member of the family of time-travelers. Every other generation or so her family produces a girl who starts uncontrollably t
Duchess Nicole
Sometimes I really wonder what young adults see in certain young adult books. This series has pretty good ratings but I just don't see it. I was so bored for the first eighty percent of the book. I felt as if I had no idea who this heroine really was. I don't even think it says how old she is until late in the book, which left me feeling a little off about her character. Since each year makes a big difference when it comes to teens, not knowing if she was twelve or seventeen was weird. So much o ...more
Cara
I decided I was going to take some time to percolate my ideas for this book, but it's still up in the air what I exactly think. Had some aspects I liked (i.e. time-travel), and others I didn't (i.e. the arc of the story).

All right synopsis first: Gwen is a sixteen-year-old girl who lives in London (the book was written in German originally so I'm not sure why that setting was chosen). Normal enough, but she comes from a family who can time-travel. Thankfully the gene bypassed her and was given t
Taissa
So incredible and fast paced! (it is so hard to write a good short novel)
I flew right through it, and there was a point about mid way through the book where I was kinda confused but not once was the writing ever bad.
3.8 stars!
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Gonna read this gonna read this hooray
Cynn

Sí,me gustó, me gustó, me gustó y muuuuucho.

En Ruby Red nos encontramos con una historia sobre viajeros del tiempo. Se centra en la vida de Gwendolyn, una adolescente de 16 años que al parecer nunca imaginó que ella podía ser la portadora del "especial gen familiar". Este gen especial es poder viajar al pasado. Cuando ocurre el llamado salto (que sería cambiar de una época a otra) puede estar 10 segundos, 30 minutos o 3 horas en el mismo lugar en el que se encontraba antes de saltar pero en otra
Edel

Before I delve into this review I first want to point something out - I should NEVER have picked up this book. Why you may ask? Well, because this does not even remotely sound like a book I would enjoy. The blurb alone would be evidence enough of that, two particular sentences stand out the most:

"can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesley, watching movies and talking about boys."

Oh and it gets worse...

"He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen i
Elii Vela
Voy a empezar diciendo que la portada no es mucho de mi agrado, era una de las cosas por la que me costó mucho decidirme a abrirlo; no me gusta la portada original tampoco, pero sí la francesa. Después de haber leído el libro y viendo la portada pues sí, esa llave se trae un misterio que me me intriga mucho...

Gwendolyn es una adolescente -y mi enorme agradecimiento a la autora por haberla descrito como tal (luego hallamos unas que pecan de tontas, que bueno...)-, que le encanta ver películas, es
Gackelchen
This book got it all.
It s funny, it s making you angry, its making you puzzling.
The lovestory (all of them) are clean and making your heartbeat going faster within 2 phrases.

A lot of you guys were complaining about how childish Gwen acted sometimes. That she is like a 12 year old instead of 16.

I have an opinion about that. You may not like it and I m sorry if that is so.
Becoz of my work, I see a lot of 16 year old girls and I can remember when I used to be 16 ;)
I was childish sometimes, a
Francisca Viegas
You can also find this review at http://goaway-imreading.blogspot.pt

Ruby Red was a really nice surprise. I have always been fascinated by the concept of time-travelling, but I had never read a book in which it was the main issue. This book has it all - history, science-fiction, witty and funny dialogue, intriguing characters and even a little bit of fantasy.
I was a tiny bit disappointed that this was such a small book. It felt a little like an introduction to the actual story. When I was so exci
Susan
My mind is literally blown at this moment. All I am really capable of doing is gaping at the computer screen and desperately wishing the sequel, SAPPHIRE BLUE, was available now. Or that my German skills were better so I could tackle book 2 in its original form.

This book is SO. GOOD. Buy it--don't even wait to read this review. Just run to the nearest store or library and start reading.

First of all, Gwyneth is one of the most likable heroines ever. Yes, truly. Ever. She's hilarious, brave, cleve
Fenia
This book is sooo good!! It just flew by!!! I read it in a day!!! :O I love the book as a book (such a beautiful cover) i loved that it has to do with time-travel (Doctor Who,where are you??) I loved that you could only go back in time,since that's the time that i love most,Victorian age,Downton Abbey age,Shakespeare Age..the good stuff!!! Gwenyth was such a great character!! I related so much with her!! I too,have an immense obsession for movies,i have a best friend like Lesey and i often think ...more
Nikoleta
Καλό, ωραία υπόθεση, ενδιαφέρον και ψαγμένος κόσμος: μια θεία που βλέπει οράματα, ένας μαυροντυμένος που παρακολουθεί το σπίτι από τη γωνία, χαμένοι συγγενεις, φαντάσματα, ένας μπάτλερ που μοιάζει να το έσκασε από τον 18ο αι., ένας υπερόπτης (αν και κούκλος) νεαρός, για να μην μιλήσω για τα ταξίδια στο χρόνο και τα ατελείωτα γενεαλογικά δέντρα που σκαρφίστηκε η συγγραφέας.
Όμως κάπου το γλυκό δεν έδεσε. Tο περίμενα πολύ καλύτερο, διότι πάνω από το μισό βιβλίο έχει αρκετά αργή πλοκή, πολλές περιτ
Anica
first read May 2009

When I found out about this book I knew I had to buy it. Simply because the cover is so very pretty! Plus, it is written by Kerstin Gier. You can't go wrong with that.

To be honest, I expected some kind of vampire novel regarding the cover. I am kinda glad that I was wrong. Although I wasn't very convinced that I would like the time travel part. But Kerstin Gier proved me wrong. The time travel is kinda logical, exciting and mysterious. Gwen is a very nice heroine and Gideon is
Randee
WHAT! THAT is how it ends?!
O M G !!
I need the next one! This was fun

My full review can be found here
Annabeth Stone
it was a generally good book. At some parts though the main character (Gwyneth), for lack of words, acts fake. The dialogue between her and her best friend are also at times fake sounding but other than that it was very good. There was action in both the present day and the past and there was a good budding relationship between Gwyneth and Gideon. I would recommend it.
Kristi
Ruby Red is an international bestseller, I've had many of my German friends/readers telling me that this book was coming to the US and that I HAD to read it! Thanks to all of you that emailed me about this book! You were right! It's fantastic!

I haven't read a book that's been translated before... that I can think of anyway, but I didn't notice anything in particular that would have made me think that. It was written really well and translated very well! This novel is part of a trilogy and I must
AriaTheBookNerd
I could not... finish this one. I tried. For weeks i've tried to get into the story which is why I didn't add any other books on my currently reading, but I could not finish it.

At first I thought it was okay, but as the story goes, it gets boring. Too many wasted scenes. Too many wasted pages. The main character, Gwen, just keeps on wasting time. She didn't want to tell anyone that she feels she's the time travelling person and not her cousin. Twice she had the chance to tell someone. She didn'
Lotte
Meh, this was alright. The writing style was funny and cute and exactly what I would've liked when I was 13/14. Unfortunately, this was a bit too immature for my taste and it also didn't help that nothing really happened for the first half of the book. I definitely prefer Gier's other book - Silber (German title) / Dream a Little Dream (English title, comes out this spring).
Isabella Zink
One of my least favorite tropes in a story is mystery fabricated only through characters not telling each other anything, especially family. It also doesn't help that Gwyneth is as dim as can be. Lesley is basically the only useful character in this whole story. Anyway, I can see why people like the series but I won't be continuing. Too many groans experienced during this read.
thebookbitch
I LOVE THIS BOOK SO FREAKING MUCH.

I need more.

MORE?!

Yes, sir. More.
Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
4.5/5 stars!! Probably will do a series review of this one :)
Carla *Jen7waters*
For some reason I didn't think I was going to like this book, and, honestly, I wasn't even planning on reading it--I think it came out around the time I was totally fed up with books featuring girls in gorgeous dresses on the cover, that ended up being not so enjoyable readings--but then there was a read-along and I didn't resist, and guess what? I liked it a lot! I love when books surprise me like this.

The main reason I enjoyed this book so much was the heroine, Gwen, she's such a sweetheart, c
Allison
Ruby Red is the first in a YA time travel trilogy that is really more of a contemporary paranormal set in London, and otherwise similar to other YA paranormals in tone (high school, parents/family, mean girl, quirky best friend, etc.).

It's also very short - only 200 pages - so it really just felt like a setup. I was frustrated at the end, realizing I'd just read an introduction and would have to read the next book to get anywhere with it. But I decided to continue on since this one was so short
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Ruby Red Trilogy by Kerstin Gier - Reading 'Ruby Red' from June 23rd 2015 84 120 17 hours, 37 min ago
WeReadYA: Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier 1 3 Jul 01, 2015 07:12AM
FANtastical Fiction: Ruby Red book talk| JUNE 7 11 Jun 24, 2015 05:10AM
A Million More Pages: 1 - Ruby Red (Ruby Red Trilogy): May 27 75 26 Jun 23, 2015 04:46PM
Obsessed With YA ...: Day 1: Chapters 1-3 3 18 Jun 22, 2015 09:38AM
Addicted to YA: Ruby Red 41 312 Jun 21, 2015 04:26PM
Bibliophile Academy: Reviews of Ruby Red by Kerstin Gier. 1 14 Jun 10, 2015 06:28PM
  • Arkadien fällt (Arkadien, #3)
  • Isola
  • Faunblut
  • Torrent (River of Time, #3)
  • Der Kuss des Kjer
  • Nebezpečná láska (Bavettovi, #1)
  • Der Sturm (Das Tal Season 1, #3)
  • The Traitor in the Tunnel
  • Hourglass (Hourglass, #1)
  • Dark Canopy (Dark Canopy, #1)
  • Splitterherz (Splitterherz, #1)
  • Türkisgrüner Winter (Kirschroter Sommer, #2)
  • Saeculum
  • Die magische Gondel (Zeitenzauber, #1)
  • Odstíny života (Odstíny života, #1)
  • Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2)
Kerstin Gier is the bestselling author of the Ruby Red trilogy, as well as several popular novels for adults.

More about Kerstin Gier...

The Ruby Red Trilogy (3 books)
  • Saphirblau (Edelstein Trilogie, #2)
  • Smaragdgrün (Edelstein Trilogie, #3)
Saphirblau (Edelstein Trilogie, #2) Smaragdgrün (Edelstein Trilogie, #3) Dream a Little Dream (The Silver Trilogy, #1) Silber: Das zweite Buch der Träume (Silber, #2) Für jede Lösung ein Problem

2 trivia questions
4 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“You were talking to that niche in the wall again, Gwyneth. I saw you."

"Yes, but it's my favorite bit of wall, Gordon. I'd hurt its feelings if I didn't stop and talk to it.”
431 likes
“If we were in a film, the villain would turn out to be the least-expected person. But as we aren’t in a film, I’d go for the character who tried to strangle you.” 370 likes