Start by marking “Arcane” as Want to Read:
Arcane

Arcane

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Spring 2011 -- from editor Nathan Shumate and publisher Sandy Petersen comes the first issue of a new magazine of weird chills! This issue contains “Hazards” by Justin Pollock, “Darnell Behind Glass” by Jeff Crook, “The Mine” by Jason V. Shayer, “Ricky and the Elder Gods” by S.M. Williams, “Gingerbread and Ashes” by Jaelithe Ingold, “Dear Management” by Tom Wortman, “In th ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Arcane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arcane

Gef
Right out of the gate, through the introduction, editor Nathan Shumate makes it clear that he's not a big fan of the themed anthologies prevalent in speculative fiction. The themes tend to be too restrictive to readers and writers alike, with the end results often presenting a collection of stories too closely resembling one another. Well, such an accusation cannot be heaved at Arcane, which presents as eclectic an array of stories as I've read in a while.

Arcane weighs in with thirty stories, so
Gef
There is a new dog in the hunt for short horror fiction and its name is Arcane. I finally got a chance to read the inaugural issue, which was made available in late spring. With a subtitle of Penny Dreadfuls for the 21st Century, the tone is made readily apparent, which is a welcome change over some of the ambiguous titles of magazines and other short fiction markets.

Issue #1 contains a brief introduction by its editor, Nathan Shumate, as he lays out the format of the book is irrelevant compared
Caitlin
An absolutely excellent collection of short horror stories. There was nothing included that didn;t scare or thrill me in some way, and I'm very pleased to be reading right from the first issue.

Horror fans will love this start-up magazine.
Jessica Bronder
This is a collection of thirty different stories that range from short one or two pages to novellas. And, unlike most anthologies, they really have nothing to do with the other stories. A few authors sound familiar, but the best thing is how Nathan Shumate found unheard of, promising authors for this collection. I hope to find more books from some of the unknown authors.

These stories range from strange westerns to fantasy to horror. I admit that I didn’t read all of them through. I’m not really
Todd Newton
Aug 20, 2011 Todd Newton rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Todd by: Harry Markov
Lot of good stuff here, only a few stories I didn't care for.
Eric
Okay, you're going to have to humor me a little with that five-star rating. This anthology is of special import to me because it houses the first fiction story I ever sold and had published: "God of the Kiln." If that's not worth five stars, what is?

However, a more sober assessment would peg this between 3 and 3.5. That is due, in part, to the fact I'm not a horror or creepy story kind of reader. A number of the offerings in here (like "Corporautolysis" by Christopher Slatsky) have been cited wa
Frida Fantastic (book blogger)
Arcane is a quarterly magazine with a focus on weird horror, the supernatural, and the fantastic. This is the first issue and it’s a collection of twelve chilling short stories.

Here’s a taste of three out of the dozen:

-“Darnell Behind Glass” by Jeff Crook: the owner of a seedy convenience store finds that he may have sacrificed more for his store than he previously thought

-“Gingerbread and Ashes” by Jaelithe Ingold: a fresh but haunting perspective on the Hansel & Gretel fairytale told by an
T.W. Fendley
Nathan Shumate's ARCANE anthology brings together thirty uniquely imagined stories. Some are strangely humorous, others are outright bizarre, and many are truly frightening. The only thing they have in common is excellent writing.

These stayed on my mind after finishing the book:
--In Eric Francis' Far Eastern tale, "The God of Kiln," a priest leads the Blossom People in a fanatical display of devotion that earns his god's displeasure.
--“Lady of the Crossroads” by Christine Lucas, takes us to an
Rebecca Snow
In his introduction, Mr. Shumate explains why he dislikes themed anthologies. Many times, the stories in them are too similar and predictable. He continues on and tells us that Arcane has no theme aside from being a collection of stories that unsettle the reader in some way. He also states that all the stories are good. While I didn't like them all, they are all well-written and entertaining. And yes, they were all a bit disturbing in one way or another, and most of them were more than a little ...more
Adeline
Adeline marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Bnga
Bnga added it
Aug 18, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Hristo
Hristo is currently reading it
Feb 09, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Sanjleen
Sanjleen marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Duranduran
Duranduran marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Philip
Philip marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Piotr
Piotr marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Nathan Shumate is a Utah author, small-press publisher, assemblage artist and dilettante (although he prefers the term “Renaissance Man”). He has written (and gotten paid for) comic books, screenplays, and various forms of fiction and non-fiction. His short stories have appeared in the magazine Amazing Stories, the anthology Monsters & Mormons, and other venues. He is the publisher and instiga ...more
More about Nathan Shumate...
Space Eldritch II Arcane II The Golden Age of Crap The Demon Cross (Avalon & Company, #1) Levels: Fantastic and Macabre Tales