Start by marking “The One that Got Away: My SAS Mission behind Enemy Lines” as Want to Read:
The One that Got Away: My SAS Mission behind Enemy Lines

The One that Got Away: My SAS Mission behind Enemy Lines

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  2,044 ratings  ·  70 reviews
The SAS mission conducted behind Iraqi lines is one of the most famous stories of courage and survival in modern warfare. Of the eight members of the SAS regiment who set off, only one escaped capture. This is his story. Late on the evening of 24 January 1991 the patrol was compromised deep behind enemy lines in Iraq. A fierce fire-fight left the eight men miraculously uns ...more
Published (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The One that Got Away, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The One that Got Away

As the companion to Bravo Two-Zero this provides another point of view of the events that took place in Iraq during the first Iraq war. The major difference is that the author was one of the three which got separated from the other five members of the squad and was the only one to actually escape Iraq.

It is always worthwhile seeing the same events from different points of view, as all memories are coloured by perspective. The main difference in these two accounts is that Andy takes most of the r
Looking at the cover of the edition I bought, I think you'd be forgiven if you initally judged Chris Ryan to be a bit egocentric, because it bears the tagline "The real hero of Bravo Two Zero". Being published two years after Andy McNab's account of his experience in the same mission I translated that as "Do you know how difficult it is to escape from Iraq when there's a war on? Those other guys just sat there and people hit them!". Whether or not Ryan himself was responsible for the final cover ...more
Mark Maguire
This was an incredible book! I heard of the legend of Bravo Two Zero; I had watched numerous episodes of "Hunting Chris Ryan" on the Television, but until I had read this gripping book, I had no comprehension about the incredible mental, and physical challenges that the author had undergone during his record-breaking Escape and Evasion across Iraq to the relative "safety" of Syria. Indeed, some of the most memorable sections of the book occur during the authors' arrival in "friendly" territory. ...more
Sep 01, 2008 Jared rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Justin Grieco
Spoiler alert... I discuss specifics within the book.

Hm... deciding between a two and a three starrer for this one was tough. I ultimately decided for three stars because his account of stumbling through Iraq was interesting. His pub conversation style of story telling carries this type of story very well.
Still, just by his style and recollection, I know his type very well. While his story is amazing, it is just that. I am by no means calling him a
To say Chris Ryan is not a egotist would be a lie, pictures in this book show him walking through fire in a sort of "Rambo" style.
To say he is a hero is also a lie, he starts the story talking about how his nerves cut out, and moments in his remarakable trak make you want to go "But how could you do that?"
But one thing that is not a lie....Chris Ryan is damn impressive, strong willed and can get the job done, and if not, he can salavge something from it.
This work, which made him fairly well know
first book i read from Chris Ryan in moment he became my favorite author. and i would also recommend this one as first book to read from him. i know why author didn't dig that much in feelings and it was cleat even he tried to keep a distance and give a reader as much as possible objective story of his survival. i'm sure a never could write this way same story, but that's why i appreciate it more. only when you realize what's behind the word, you can fully understand. there is no way to doubt, y ...more
I wasn't crazy about this book, it had a bitter, angry tone. I suppose he has a right to be upset, but it's not nice to read. I see some of the other reviewers on here say that he comes across as egotistical... I looked out for that as I read it, but didn't really feel that he was full of himself until the last few pages.

The fact that this is from a British perspective threw me. Even though I grew up with British English in our country, I am used to American television and literature. So MANY of
Steve Wilkinson
Jul 19, 2007 Steve Wilkinson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any fan of war / survival / non fiction
My favourite book of all time and one I have read on many occasions. The story of one guy and the only guy from the Bravo Two Zero SAS team dropped behind enemy lines during the first Gulf War to escape.

The story goes from the beginnings of him being called up for service to the team being dropped and concentrates on his hundreds of miles walk to survival. The encounters he has and the way in which he and obviously the SAS are taught to survive is incredible to read.
I had the impression that I might find THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY a bit boring - after all, I'd already read one version of the story in Andy McNab's BRAVO TWO ZERO. However, Ryan's authoritative tone adds his own spin to the proceedings.

The tale of the escape sees Ryan being pursued by vehicles, drinking radioactive water and murdering sentries. It's all Boy's Own adventure stuff written with a survivalist edge. A great story well told.
Andy B
Nothing like a true story and one that shows the sheer battle with the elements within a war zone can kill you more than the enemy. Chris Ryan shows great guile, sheer perseverance and pure will to survive in one of the most hostile places on the planet at the height of a war that really had no winners. Great read, you feel like your taking the journey with the author.
This book is about a spy that goes behind enemy lines and gives information to his group. But somebody spots his group and has to go and rescue them. So this guy in this book does that. He goes to rescue them and he succeds in doing so. Then he gets the purple heart for his honor and bravery. I like this book because it was about war.
This is a great book and amazing when you take into account that it is in fact a true story.

The guy deserves many many more medals than he got for such an amazing escape which helps create more mystery about the SAS and probably helps attract more intense hardened nut cases to its ranks.
I really loved this book, it was fantastic. It gave me an in-sight view of what it was like for Chris Ryan. Kept me on the edge of my seat after each page.
If your reading Bravo Two Zero then you should read this, its another 1st person perspective of the same fateful mission.
David Davies
You will not find a better real life special forces book.
Tina Crossley
Totally my bag, excitng and compulisve reading
Rich Gee
Amazing courage by an amazing soldier. Go SAS!
Sep 16, 2013 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Micheal Tan
Shelves: war-non-fiction
Well done CR,deserve all the accolade.
Hilmi Isa
Seperti Bravo Two Zero,buku ini juga merupakan sebuah buku memoir separa autobiografi. Namun demikian,pada sudut pandang orang yang berbeza,iaitu Chris Ryan yang juga merupakan salah seorang anggota di dalam patrol 8 orang yang dipanggil Bravo Two Zero (B2Z) ketika Perang Teluk 1991. Chris Ryan merupakan satu-satunya ahli yang terselamat daripada ditangkap dan berjaya melarikan diri ke Syria yang bersempadan dengan Iraq.
Saya tidak mahu mengulas mengenai sejarah pasukan kecil B2Z dan misi mereka
Wytzia Raspe
This book is in fact the tale of a long journey. A 290 km long walk in 7 nights out of Iraq into Syria and also the long mental journey described in the last chapter and in the long new introduction of what effects military life in general and such a traumatic event specific has on someone's personality. Those two things were exactly why I ordered it. Having been on the Iraqi border and defending refugees from that area for years myself and having listened to some of the stories someone told me ...more
Boss Target
Shortly after reading Andy McNab's engrossing and aptly titled book "Bravo Two Zero", I was impelled to read Chris Ryan's personal rendition of the ill fated British SAS patrol. Bravo Two Zero's mission was to infiltrate and exfiltrate behind enemy lines with a single objective: to eradicate scud missiles. It didn't go quite to plan...

Four of the men were captured and held captive, beaten, and starved by the Iraqi "Secret Police" and another three died; two of hypothermia and one in combat...not
This I read a looooooong time ago. But just looking through here I saw that I never reviewed it. I can't speak highly enough for this book. I think I read it in about 48 hours, I carried it with me moving around the house it was so good! This should have a permanent place on military recommended reading lists.

It is about Chris Ryan, a British SAS Commando and his experience during the Gulf War. In short, his SAS team was stranded, and everyone on the team was captured or killed but him. He holds
English Wide Reader
The One That Got Away by Chris Ryan
The One That Got Away is a highly rated action packed adventure when a group of the SAS are sent on a mission in Iraq where everything goes wrong. The one thing that I loved the most out of reading this book is that I never wanted to miss or jump a couple of pages because it is interesting the whole way through. A real downer for me though was reading the blurb on the back of the book because it gave away a lot of information about the book
Amazing account of survival although it amazes me how in spite of all the hardship, the British government did very little once Chris Ryan had crossed into Syria. It wasn't until he managed to get back to his base was something actually done. Nevertheless, its a good read. I just wonder how someone could survive so long out there.
Matthew Simpson
A book anyone needs to read if they have only read Bravo Two Zero. A differing account upto a point, where the stories obviously head their separate ways. Whether it's embellished a little in places or not, what this man did to return home, is nothing short of outstanding!
Joseph Tomlinson
I got my copy of this book from a book exchange in Townsville in '98. It was one of the many instigating factors for me to join the Army after high school in '05.

This is a unique, brilliant and thrilling story of true strength, courage and survival under enormous odds, particularly when compared to other accounts of the Special Air Services extraordinary tours of duty. I've read it 3 times over the years and it was written with such military precision and personal intuition, that new elements co
Abhijeet Dutta
The action and event sequence was described in a very realistic manner. Little bit of monotonous in between and less gripping till the end But still it was OK.
A very good read detailing the ill-fated bravo two zero mission from the perspective of the one team member not to be killed or captured. What chris ryan endured over his record breaking escape and evasion is inspirational, and he tells his story at a pace that makes it hard to put the book down. It could maybe have done with a bit more detail regarding the mission itself, which is the one negative when comparing to andy mcnab's 'bravo two zero'. But one thing that makes this account stand out i ...more
I read the Andy McNab book, "Bravo Two Zero" and thoroughly enjoyed it so thought that I would read this too as it was about the same mission. I usually enjoy Chris Ryan's books more than McNab's as I personally prefer his writing style. I enjoyed this book and was glad I read it but for once I preferred McNab's version, although that doesn't take away anything from this one. I would recommend that anyone read both books because they both tell tales of extremely brave men who survive in the most ...more
Patrick Pilz
Good story, badly written
  • Bravo Two Zero
  • The Real "Bravo Two Zero"
  • Sniper One: The Blistering True Story Of A British Battle Group Under Siege
  • Task Force Black
  • Soldier Five: The Real Truth About The Bravo Two Zero Mission
  • Eye of the Storm: Twenty-five Years in Action with the SAS
  • Roberts Ridge: A Story of Courage and Sacrifice on Takur Ghar Mountain, Afghanistan
  • Killer Elite: The Inside Story of America's Most Secret Special Operations Team
  • Delta Force: The Army's Elite Counterterrorist Unit
Chris Ryan was born in 1961 in a village near Newcastle. In 1984 he joined the SAS. During his ten years in the Regiment, he was involved in overt and covert operations and was also Sniper team commander of the anti-terrorist team.

During the Gulf War, Chris was the only member of an eight-man team to escape from Iraq, of which three colleagues were killed and four captured. It was the longest esca
More about Chris Ryan...
Agent 21 (Agent 21, #1) Strike Back Survival (Alpha Force, #1) The Watchman Blackout

“.'If things get on top of you', my mum always used to say, 'have a good cry.'.” 11 likes