Start by marking “The Real Face of Atheism” as Want to Read:
The Real Face of Atheism

The Real Face of Atheism

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Atheism is a world without God. Its true nature--whether disguised in Eastern mysticism or American cynicism--is despair. In this thought-provoking and witty book, Ravi Zacharias provides Christians a clear apologetic for their faith.
Formerly published as A Shattered Visage, The Real Face of Atheism systematically examines atheistic positions on human nature, the meaning
Published September 1st 2004 by Baker Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Face of Atheism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Face of Atheism

David Natiuk
Oct 27, 2010 David Natiuk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians,atheists,philosophers,college students
"A Shattered Visage" is an honest, hard look at the Atheist's view of life on Earth and some of the inherent problems and challenges of this mindset. Ravi Zacharias is well-studied in philosophy and brings to light many examples of great minds who have struggled with this very issue. The conclusions and analysis are most intriguing.

Most people might not want to go this deep into philosophy and the meaning of life, but I believe it is imperative to take the time to educate yourself and ask the mo
Bro
scary book for those who want to think there is no God. Some think we have to prove there is a God, but we don't have to do any such thing. God says his works prove He is. You have to explain beyond theory how we came to exist and how that there is good and evil in the world, and if there is a moral code then there is a moral giver of this code. For the believer God explains that. For the unbeliever there is nothing except blind faith. Ravi delves right into the heart of all these debates and un ...more
Raffi
It's an interesting philosophical and apologetic book against atheism. Ravi gives examples and how atheism refutes the presence of God, but does not give a viable option regarding why humans are on earth and the moral ground upon which they should operate.
Also, I should mention that it is not an easy read. Some lines and paragraphs I had to re-read them to comprehend.
John
I really enjoy most Ravi Zacharias books, and this was no different. I had to knock it down a star for technical reasons having to do with the ebook. I read this on my kindle, and there were several quotes that were replaced with a note saying that they couldn't be included due to rights restrictions. It seems fairly ridiculous to me that the owners of these various things were fine with including the text in a traditional book, but can't abide by having it in a digital format. One or two, I wou ...more
Eric
Feb 23, 2014 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Christians and atheists with questions
As usual for Ravi Zacharias, compassionate but fervent appeal to the reader to understand the issue (atheism) and to accept the solution, Christ. The tone of the book seemed more intense than other books I have read by the same author, perhaps due to the topic. I recommend the book for anyone too caught up in current denials of God, or someone who has questions about why the atheists are wrong, or an atheist looking for answers.
Matt
Aug 07, 2008 Matt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Matt by: Joe Raybell
We read this book in my small group a while ago. Overall, I think the impression of the group was positive. In classic Zacharias style, he stays on the “big picture” level in an attempt to encourage the reader that they might be able to understand an atheist better and interact with him if s/he tackles the broader questions and assumptions. They are: reason for being (origin), no ethics to espouse (morality), no reason for living (meaning), and no hope beyond the grave (destiny). If you approach ...more
Patrick
What a terrible book. There are so many errors in this book and so many holes in his arguments that I don't even know where to begin. The whole book is basically an ad hominem attack on atheism as the points he attempts to address have no bearing on the validity of atheism as they are not ideas inherent in atheism.

Chapter one is dedicated solely to attacking Nietzsche and erroneously attempting to connect his writings (and of course by extension atheism) with various genocides of the 20th centur
Ayame Sohma
Anyone who has read more than one of Ravi's books has likely encountered Ravi's tragic suicide attempt as a teenager. As an adult, Ravi milks this for all he thinks it's worth. It features as a central theme in The Lamb and the Fuhrer, The End of Reason and Has Christianity Failed You?

While an effective emotional tool, it wears thin on many people, myself included. Not only because it is an experience unique to the author, but also because Zacharias, in his dishonesty, attempts to smear all athe
Michael Vincent
Ravi Zacharias always give helpful insights into truth and apologetics. His stories are interesting and he gives quotes from a variety of sources. The book is very apologetic in nature and helpful concerning the philosophical side of evangelism.
Chris
This was a thought-provoking book, challenging atheism from a Christian perspective. Zacharias is well-read and includes thoughts from a variety of philosophers, scientists, authors, and theologians. At his best he puts forth some excellent arguments against the atheistic world view and in favor of theism and Christianity. At his worst he can be occasionally be unclear in his reasoning for the conclusions he is drawing. Overall, it was a good, quick read and helpful to my own thinking.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2012 Rachel marked it as to-read
I really struggled in my reading of this book. It has so much depth, and was not as easy to read unless you have extensive knowledge of history, science, and theology. I would recognize names but this book would be a much richer experience if the reader was more familiar with much of the research that the author briefly alludes to throughout this work.
Will try to read again later- sometimes I have to be in the right mood/season of life to read books with this much "meat."
Scott
Exposes the philosophical roadblocks of atheism. The author says, 'The atheist is left with no reason for being, no morality to espouse, no meaning for life, and no hope beyond the grave.' He adds later, 'If, after death, he should find out that there is a God, his loss has been irreparable; for not only did contentment and peace elude him in his life, but death has opened the door to an ultimate and eternal lostness.'
Sergio Flores
This book was really good, many memorial quotes and ideas. I liked this book because it dealt with questions that a lot of people have while or after studying atheism like where does this leave science? Overall this book was good and showed as the title says "The Real Face of Atheism" the last set edition the book has powerful comments throughout the book to remember and use when talking with someone about worldviews.
Brent Rosendal
Ravi is one of my favorite authors/speakers. I enjoyed this book but it was a much more difficult read than the other books of his I read. Ravi not only shows us the problems with the athiestic system of belief but how the thiestic/Christian faith does a better job at answering life's most important questions.
Pete Foley
As usual, Dr. Zacharias does not disappoint. A former atheist himself, Zacharias walks the reader through the evolution of atheistic thought, the major shapers of the movement, and, ultimately, why atheism is a hopeless POV.

Highly recommend this book!
benebean
3.5 I think I would have given it a more solid rating if I hadn't heard most of it before from lectures by the author. I guess that isn't very fair for him to have to compete against himself :)
Aimee
Although it is a small book so it can only cover so much, he makes some very valid points and has given me a better understanding of the logic that must follow from an atheistic world view.
Joel
Wow. Ravi writes with truth, wit, and love while communicating at a level that adults will appreciate. This book points out the many logical and practical flaws that atheism promotes.
Atchisson
Zacharias is simply an amazing writer. His insight is genuine and thought-provoking. Any chance to read him is a chance to understand and appreciate your faith all the more.
Rod
A great book by my favorite Christian philosopher. I doubt it will change any atheists minds but it sure is an important message to us Christians.
Luuya
Wonderful Book: Гайхалтай ном. Христитгэлийн үндэс, ертөнцийг үзэх үзлийн суурийг гүн ухааны арга барилаар харуулж буй ном.
May 01, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Great for highly educated readers, but for the majority of North Americans, the concepts are very lofty.
Brian
good nontheism crusher...not the best apologetics book if you have the wrong motive
Eric Bjerke
I have read and re-read this one many times. Zacharias is a great thinker.
Cris
I loved all of Ravi's books that I read. This one was fantastic!
Mark Economou
An outstanding read in philosophy, religion, and good thinking.
James
Another solid work in Christian apologetics.
Naveen
one of the best books i have read!
John Edwards
John Edwards marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
The Hitler button 2 5 Nov 08, 2013 03:28PM
Atheists and Skep...: IF Atheism is True? 24 46 Jun 03, 2013 01:11PM
Atheists and Skep...: Most are 50% atheist, 20% skeptic? 25 80 May 14, 2013 08:35PM
  • Baker Encyclopedia of Christian Apologetics
  • Reasonable Faith: Christian Truth and Apologetics
  • Scaling the Secular City: A Defense of Christianity
  • The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions
  • Darwin on Trial
  • The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
  • Gunning for God: A Critique of the New Atheism
  • The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ
  • The Historical Reliability of the Gospels
  • Signature in the Cell: DNA and the Evidence for Intelligent Design
  • Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air
  • Recovering Biblical Manhood & Womanhood
  • Is God a Moral Monster?: Making Sense of the Old Testament God
  • Jesus Under Fire: Modern Scholarship Reinvents the Historical Jesus
  • Foundations of the Christian Faith
  • Genesis in Space and Time: The Flow of Biblical History (Bible Commentary for Layman)
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
More about Ravi Zacharias...
Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message Can Man Live Without God The Grand Weaver: How God Shapes Us Through the Events of Our Lives Walking from East to West: God in the Shadows The End of Reason: A Response to the New Atheists

“With no fact as a referent, what is normative is purely a matter of preference.” 45 likes