Start by marking “The Real Face of Atheism” as Want to Read:
The Real Face of Atheism

The Real Face of Atheism

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  455 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Atheism is a world without God. Its true nature—whether disguised in Eastern mysticism or American cynicism—is despair. In this thought-provoking and witty book, Ravi Zacharias provides Christians a clear apologetic for their faith.

Formerly published as A Shattered Visage, The Real Face of Atheism systematically examines atheistic positions on human nature, the meaning of
Published September 1st 2004 by Baker Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Real Face of Atheism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Face of Atheism

David Natiuk
Oct 27, 2010 David Natiuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: christians,atheists,philosophers,college students
"A Shattered Visage" is an honest, hard look at the Atheist's view of life on Earth and some of the inherent problems and challenges of this mindset. Ravi Zacharias is well-studied in philosophy and brings to light many examples of great minds who have struggled with this very issue. The conclusions and analysis are most intriguing.

Most people might not want to go this deep into philosophy and the meaning of life, but I believe it is imperative to take the time to educate yourself and ask the mo
Bro
Aug 03, 2011 Bro rated it really liked it
scary book for those who want to think there is no God. Some think we have to prove there is a God, but we don't have to do any such thing. God says his works prove He is. You have to explain beyond theory how we came to exist and how that there is good and evil in the world, and if there is a moral code then there is a moral giver of this code. For the believer God explains that. For the unbeliever there is nothing except blind faith. Ravi delves right into the heart of all these debates and un ...more
Raffi
Jun 11, 2012 Raffi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's an interesting philosophical and apologetic book against atheism. Ravi gives examples and how atheism refutes the presence of God, but does not give a viable option regarding why humans are on earth and the moral ground upon which they should operate.
Also, I should mention that it is not an easy read. Some lines and paragraphs I had to re-read them to comprehend.
John
Oct 29, 2013 John rated it really liked it
I really enjoy most Ravi Zacharias books, and this was no different. I had to knock it down a star for technical reasons having to do with the ebook. I read this on my kindle, and there were several quotes that were replaced with a note saying that they couldn't be included due to rights restrictions. It seems fairly ridiculous to me that the owners of these various things were fine with including the text in a traditional book, but can't abide by having it in a digital format. One or two, I wou ...more
Patrick
Nov 24, 2013 Patrick rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a terrible book. There are so many errors in this book and so many holes in his arguments that I don't even know where to begin. The whole book is basically an ad hominem attack on atheism as the points he attempts to address have no bearing on the validity of atheism as they are not ideas inherent in atheism.

Chapter one is dedicated solely to attacking Nietzsche and erroneously attempting to connect his writings (and of course by extension atheism) with various genocides of the 20th centur
Winston
May 30, 2013 Winston rated it did not like it
Anyone who has read more than one of Ravi's books has likely encountered Ravi's tragic suicide attempt as a teenager. As an adult, Ravi milks this for all he thinks it's worth. It features as a central theme in The Lamb and the Fuhrer, The End of Reason and Has Christianity Failed You?

While an effective emotional tool, it wears thin on many people, myself included. Not only because it is an experience unique to the author, but also because Zacharias, in his dishonesty, attempts to smear all athe
Eric Bjerke
I have read and re-read this one many times. Zacharias is a great thinker.
Eric
Feb 23, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians and atheists with questions
As usual for Ravi Zacharias, compassionate but fervent appeal to the reader to understand the issue (atheism) and to accept the solution, Christ. The tone of the book seemed more intense than other books I have read by the same author, perhaps due to the topic. I recommend the book for anyone too caught up in current denials of God, or someone who has questions about why the atheists are wrong, or an atheist looking for answers.
Freerk Jan
Feb 14, 2016 Freerk Jan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In an attempt to challenge my intellect I decided to read A Shattered Visage. Although I appreciate the effort, Zacharia shows that he does not grasp the true implications of the most important statements of atheism. He only touches the surface of the main issues he discusses very lightly. When I finished the book I was very dissapointed, for I had hoped that a Christian intellectual like Zacharia would be able to challenge me.

The main point Zacharia is trying to make with this book is that alth
Matt
Aug 07, 2008 Matt rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Joe Raybell
We read this book in my small group a while ago. Overall, I think the impression of the group was positive. In classic Zacharias style, he stays on the “big picture” level in an attempt to encourage the reader that they might be able to understand an atheist better and interact with him if s/he tackles the broader questions and assumptions. They are: reason for being (origin), no ethics to espouse (morality), no reason for living (meaning), and no hope beyond the grave (destiny). If you approach ...more
Zen Hess
Jan 02, 2015 Zen Hess rated it it was ok
Zacharias has made an effort to upend atheism primarily based on the outcome of an atheistic worldview. His challenges are backed with some specific cases. However, his critique is too generalized in nature. Not all atheists are what he says they are. I think his effort is worthwhile, however I would have liked to see a more theological approach -- perhaps that was not his purpose, in which case he may have succeeded in his task. I, unfortunately, did not find it that convincing.
Michael Vincent
Feb 10, 2014 Michael Vincent rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, evangelism
Ravi Zacharias always give helpful insights into truth and apologetics. His stories are interesting and he gives quotes from a variety of sources. The book is very apologetic in nature and helpful concerning the philosophical side of evangelism.
Caroline Miller
Normally timid of apologetic books, but Ravi knows how to approach it in a logical and yet loving way.
Master Rakoty
Feb 16, 2015 Master Rakoty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
لتحميل نسخة pdf من الكتاب
Kelly
Jan 16, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Couldn't put this book down.
Chris
Jul 05, 2007 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a thought-provoking book, challenging atheism from a Christian perspective. Zacharias is well-read and includes thoughts from a variety of philosophers, scientists, authors, and theologians. At his best he puts forth some excellent arguments against the atheistic world view and in favor of theism and Christianity. At his worst he can be occasionally be unclear in his reasoning for the conclusions he is drawing. Overall, it was a good, quick read and helpful to my own thinking.
Rachel
Jan 05, 2012 Rachel marked it as to-read
I really struggled in my reading of this book. It has so much depth, and was not as easy to read unless you have extensive knowledge of history, science, and theology. I would recognize names but this book would be a much richer experience if the reader was more familiar with much of the research that the author briefly alludes to throughout this work.
Will try to read again later- sometimes I have to be in the right mood/season of life to read books with this much "meat."
Sergio Flores
Aug 17, 2013 Sergio Flores rated it really liked it
This book was really good, many memorial quotes and ideas. I liked this book because it dealt with questions that a lot of people have while or after studying atheism like where does this leave science? Overall this book was good and showed as the title says "The Real Face of Atheism" the last set edition the book has powerful comments throughout the book to remember and use when talking with someone about worldviews.
Brent Rosendal
Jul 04, 2014 Brent Rosendal rated it really liked it
Ravi is one of my favorite authors/speakers. I enjoyed this book but it was a much more difficult read than the other books of his I read. Ravi not only shows us the problems with the athiestic system of belief but how the thiestic/Christian faith does a better job at answering life's most important questions.
Pete Foley
Apr 10, 2013 Pete Foley rated it really liked it
As usual, Dr. Zacharias does not disappoint. A former atheist himself, Zacharias walks the reader through the evolution of atheistic thought, the major shapers of the movement, and, ultimately, why atheism is a hopeless POV.

Highly recommend this book!
benebean
3.5 I think I would have given it a more solid rating if I hadn't heard most of it before from lectures by the author. I guess that isn't very fair for him to have to compete against himself :)
Aimee
Nov 05, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it
Although it is a small book so it can only cover so much, he makes some very valid points and has given me a better understanding of the logic that must follow from an atheistic world view.
Joel
Jul 28, 2008 Joel rated it it was amazing
Wow. Ravi writes with truth, wit, and love while communicating at a level that adults will appreciate. This book points out the many logical and practical flaws that atheism promotes.
Atchisson
Jan 31, 2008 Atchisson rated it it was amazing
Zacharias is simply an amazing writer. His insight is genuine and thought-provoking. Any chance to read him is a chance to understand and appreciate your faith all the more.
Rod
Mar 28, 2016 Rod rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apologetics, atheism
A great book by my favorite Christian philosopher. I doubt it will change any atheists minds but it sure is an important message to us Christians.
Luuya
Jun 06, 2013 Luuya rated it it was amazing
Wonderful Book: Гайхалтай ном. Христитгэлийн үндэс, ертөнцийг үзэх үзлийн суурийг гүн ухааны арга барилаар харуулж буй ном.
May 01, 2009 Sarah marked it as to-read
Great for highly educated readers, but for the majority of North Americans, the concepts are very lofty.
Brian
good nontheism crusher...not the best apologetics book if you have the wrong motive
Cris
Sep 12, 2008 Cris rated it it was amazing
I loved all of Ravi's books that I read. This one was fantastic!
Mark Economou
Sep 09, 2013 Mark Economou rated it it was amazing
An outstanding read in philosophy, religion, and good thinking.
Atheists and Skep...: Most are 50% atheist, 20% skeptic? 25 94 May 02, 2015 05:51AM
Atheists and Skep...: IF Atheism is True? 43 78 Apr 30, 2015 11:13PM
  • Darwin on Trial
  • The Devil's Delusion: Atheism and Its Scientific Pretensions
  • Reasonable Faith
  • Defending Your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air
  • Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
  • The Historical Jesus: Ancient Evidence for the Life of Christ
  • The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World
  • Five Views on Apologetics
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
More about Ravi Zacharias...

“With no fact as a referent, what is normative is purely a matter of preference.” 55 likes
“Knowledge and education in the hands of one who claims no higher accountability or authority than one’s own individuality is power in the hands of a fool.” 4 likes