Start by marking “Chaos in Death (In Death, #33.5)” as Want to Read:
Chaos in Death (In Death, #33.5)

Chaos in Death (In Death #33.5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  3,947 ratings  ·  134 reviews
Eve Dallas is the tough lieutenant hot on his trail, but this is unlike any case she's ever been assigned—or any killer she's ever pursued. A police sketch based on eye-witness testimony reveals the killer has green skin, swollen red eyes, goblin ears, and a dislocated jaw-structure that defies the human form. Is it a mask? Is it make-up? Or is the explanation more siniste ...more
Audio CD, 4 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2011)

Naked in Death by J.D. RobbGlory in Death by J.D. RobbVengeance in Death by J.D. RobbImmortal in Death by J.D. RobbRapture in Death by J.D. Robb
Best of J.D. Robb
31st out of 43 books — 44 voters
And Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieMurder on the Orient Express by Agatha ChristieEveryone Burns by John DolanThe Complete Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan DoyleThe Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
Best Murder Mysteries Of All-Time
336th out of 471 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbhbz
This book was great read by all means I'm not saying that the story lacked any interest. You have Eve Dallas investigating this triple homicide & dealing with her traumatic past. Dr. Chaos the murderer is reminiscent of Dr. Jeckle & Mr. Hyde. The story was a quick escape from post holiday blues.

I knew that Nora Roberts was well know for her romance novels; however, I never had read her books before. Until a friend gave me a book called Black Dahlia.

I started reading The Black Dahlia (
Tina
This was a neat little whodunnit and how-dunnit.

Three recovering addicts who are really turning their lives around are found brutally murdered in their apartment. Eve catches the case. The weird thing is the eye-witness describes the killer as a green skinned, red-eyed monster who capered and danced up the street after the murders. He leaves behind a message on the wall of the house inscribed in the victims' blood and signs it 'Dr. Chaos.'

This leads Eve and her team to a prominent rehab clinic a
Betsy
This was my first experience with an audible book of fiction. Susan Erickson was the narrator and I found her voice very annoying. Strained, almost harsh. And her Irish accent for Roarke was much too heavy. It is described by Robb as the merest hint of Ireland, but Erickson did a moderately strong accent. It bothered me every time she spoke as him.

Other than the narration, this was not one of my favorite Eve Dallas tales. It was short -- novella length maybe -- so it seemed truncated to me. Non
Lisa
This is the third In Death book I've tried and I'm officially giving up on the series. The previous two books left me indifferent at best but this one underlined everything I didn't like about the series and didn't add anything to the "pros" column. I know this series has a big following and virtually every book is highly rated but I just don't see what other people see in it.

The main character, Eve Dallas, is extremely rude to everyone she meets, including her friends and her husband, Roarke. I
Ed
#33.5 in the Eve Dallas (in Death) series - novella #8 in the series. AS usual, Robb's novellas are packaged with those of other authors in a collection described as super-natural, ghost stories, or psychic. This time around she is investigating medical research scientists for a series of murders and clues point to an inhuman perpetrator. I'm happier with her full length volumes.

#33.5 Eve Dallas series - novella (The Unquiet (2011) anthology) - Eve Dallas' latest case is starting off a little mo
Maura
Laurie Traverse
Three and a half stars - this is a novella and was kind of 'hokey' for lack of a better word. I'm hoping that the next "In Death" book describes Chaos as a bad dream that Eve had. I would say that this was my least favorite Eve/Roarke story due to the unbelievable murderous character.
Michael Arches
As many have noted, the In Death novellas have an odd relationship to the series. They're usually paranormal, but I think this story, Chaos in Death, is more properly science fiction. Of course, the entire series is supposed to be science fiction, having been set a half-century ahead of our time. But with occasional exceptions, the New York Eve lives in is strikingly similar to the present-day.

This story involves not magic, but science gone wrong, and in a way very familiar. Bad medicine mixed w
Lynda
When you read a series so long, the characters seem to become beloved members of your family. That probably colors my review of this short story. I guessed the outcome early on, but getting there was engrossing.
Sharal Hunter
Chaos In Death is one of the short stories offered in The Unquiet anthology and with the other short stories in this series, I only read the Eve Dallas story. Chaos finds Eve and the gang on the trail of a sadistic killer who leaves notes at the scene of his crimes signed as Dr. Chaos. Witnesses who have seen him report seeing a monster, distorted green skinned face and fangs. He is also observed to be laughing and dancing after the killings. The victims are mutilated with the precision like ski ...more
Netha
3 orang bekas pecandu ditemukan tewas terbunuh secara mengenaskan di kediaman mereka.

setiap orang yang sempat melihat orang asing yang mencurigakan yg diduga berkaitan dengan pembunuhan tersebut menggambarkan orang itu dengan gambaran 1/2 devil, 1/2 mutan & 1/2 manusia.
benar2 mengerikan apalagi tertawanya sangat sadis.
mungkin memang si pembunuh 1/2 devil & 1/2 mutan karna cara pembunuhannya yang kejam. korban2nya kehilangan 1 bagian anatomi tubuh mereka.
si pembunuh menyebut dirinya sendi
This Is Not The Michael You're Looking For
The In Death short stories/novellas have almost universally been written for anthologies, often with specific themes. In many cases, these themes conflict slightly with the logic of the regular In Death universe, particularly with respect to the supernatural, and I've found these stories to generally be disappointing because of it. Chaos in Death is no exception.

The primary problem is that these supernatural elements detract from the logic of the setting. For example, a previous story required a
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
This is the Eve Dallas short story in an anthology which also includes stories by Mary Blayney, Patricia Gaffney, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Mary Kay McComas. I haven't read the other stories.

When Eve and her team are called in to investigate the brutal murder of three young recovering addicts, they finds themselves on the hunt for a monster. The killer, captured on a surveillance camera, has clearly gleefully enjoyed the murders. He's also wearing what Eve immediately assumes is a costume... green f
Rosemary
Dec 06, 2012 Rosemary rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
For the first time, I find myself saying, "I did not like this book." I find myself saying, "This book is a disappointment."

Given the number of books Nora Roberts manages to pump out each year, it is a bit amazing that it has taken this long for there to be a title, within this series, that was a huge disappointment. This book does not forward the storyline, does not further develop the characters and is not necessary to the series.

The story is weak at its strongest moments.

Spoiler Alert:
The
Lizabeth Tucker
I actually read the story rather than had the audio version.

Three recovering addicts are murdered by an apparent madman, one who removed an ear, an eye, and a tongue from the victims before writing a snarky message in blood on the wall. New York Detective Eve Dallas' investigation leads to a group of philanthropists trying to cure addiction.

I really do love all the Eve Dallas stories, even some of the weaker ones. And I include her short stories with the weak end normally because the writer does
Caro
Great and creepy! A good, if a little scary, anytime one-sitter read. Some twists, plenty of humor, some sweet and steaminess, a little quick, surprising, a little gruesome, and a good ending. Definitely gives a little futuristic twist to a classic. Written well and gets you from the start. Gotta love the little personality quirks that pop up throughout. Ready and revving for the next! Enjoy!
Kem
I listened to audio book on this one while driving. Interesting story, but not a lot of meat. Eve didn't come to the bad guy in a logical practiced way. It's like while thinking of the people she interviewed first, she just picked one. Not as satisfying as others. But I love Eve and Roarke. This took place right after their trip to Dallas to catch evil Isaac McQueen.
Virginia Boylan
It's impressive how the author comes up with such a variety of stories. This one was fun, with a bizarre killer who has supernatural abilities and super-disabling deformities, yet still manages to kill. I had a little trouble with Eve's determination of who to concentrate on, but it was fun all the way. I'm really enjoying this series.
Jonetta
Eve Dallas is back in New York after facing her monsters in Dallas, only to be confronted with a new one on her home turf. Three people are dead, viciously assaulted by someone who, well, looks like a monster.

It was great to see Lt. Dallas back in form as she tackles the latest case. She and Peabody were again in typical form, with their typical banter and investigating procedures. We also see brief interludes with some of the others but, yes, it was too brief.

I'm not a fan of the novellas and
Srisurang
อานจากคินเดิลในเลมรวมเรืองสัน The Unquiet คะ เลมนีเจอฆาตกรหนาตาประหลาด ตาพองสีแดง ผิวเขียว กรามเบียว เหมือนใสหนากาก แตงตัวเปน Evil เรืองนีตองเดาคนราย วาเปนใคร เราชอบคุณหมอสุดหลอคนใหม กับคูหมันคุณหมอคนสวยมากเลย Dr. Justin Rosenthall กับDr. Arianna Whitwood เปนคูทีนารักดี (แตกนาสงสัยดวย) แลวยังมีผูตองสงสัยเปนผูชวยคุณหมออีกสามคน แตอีฟเนนไปทีสองสามคนเทานัน ไมสับสน เรืองนาติดตาม พลอตดีสำหรับเรืองสอบสวน เริมมาเราเดาตัวคนรายถูกแตแรกเลย แตพออานไปๆ เปลียนใจคิดวาอีกคน พอตอนจบ คนทีคิดแตแรกนันแหละถูกแลว โห ...more
Pauline
Manda
I love JD Robb's books. I love the writing and the characters. The main reason I love the series so much is because of how realistic the characters are. That being said, the bad guy in this was so far fetched it was a bit hard to enjoy it as much. I understand it was one of the novella type Halloween shorts but still
Carol
This is the first novella of J.B. Robbs I've listened to. It only lasts about 3 hours, and her usual characters are there, but the who dun-it was quite strange and how he-dun-it is very strange. It was still a good story, just a lot different than the others! Recommend, but with some warning.
Eileen Troemel
Robb's version of Jekyll and Hyde. She takes a unique approach which holds few surprises but is a great follow up to NY to Dallas. It's a quick read with some amusing quirks but I'm not a huge fan of the Jekyll and Hyde theme.
Darcy
Sometimes some of these shorts feel rushed, that was not the case for me. I liked that Eve was dealing with the events in Dallas from the last book. The people around her were aware that beyond the bad events Dallas was a bad place for her and let her know that if she wanted to talk they would be there for her. Eve is such a closed off person that she would never, but the fact that they acknowledged that meant a lot to her.

The crime was blah. I think the best part was the witness id. Somehow it
Steven
It amuses me that these books have pretty much gotten a whole bunch of mundanes reading science fiction, even though the pseudonymous Robb (Nora Roberts) is a purveyor of fairly light science fiction wrapped around a mystery core with a pair of strong, interesting women as the real heart of things. This was my first foray into one of the Eve Dallas series, and it makes a decent introduction, especially considering that I'm having to visit the series via audiobook -- a novella is just perfect. I' ...more
Melissa
Book #82 read in 2014

I don't love these "half" number stories as much as the normal ones. The supernatural aspect of them comes off as strange with what we know of the characters. But still love the narration!
Gina Mora
This was freaky. What happens when drugs get REALLY bad in the future? Well, this happens. Murder and freaky shit like that. I love the fact that Roarke is hovering after the Dallas incident. Such a cute couple.
J.D. Robb : Chaos in Death (Spoiler Zone) 37 80 Apr 26, 2014 09:16PM
  • Canyons of Night (Rainshadow, #0; Harmony, #8; Looking Glass Trilogy, #3; Arcane Society, #12)
  • Hot Rocks
  • Alien Diplomacy (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #5)
  • All Through the Night: A Troubleshooter Christmas (Troubleshooters, #12)
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Heaven Can't Wait (I-Team, #1.5)
  • If You Know Her (The Ash Trilogy, #3)
  • The Hell You Say (Adrien English Mystery, #3)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Dirty Martini (Jack Daniels Mystery, #4)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 42 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)

“Eve: "What do you want?"
Nadine: "A man of amazing sexual prowess, great sensitivity, stupendous abs, and the face of an angel. Toss in a wicked sense of humor and stupendous wealth, who adores the very ground I walk on. Oh wait, you already have him.”
14 likes