Start by marking “Abstract Algebra ” as Want to Read:
Abstract Algebra

Abstract Algebra

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  334 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Covering such material as tensor products, commutative rings, algebraic number theory and introductory algebraic geometry, this work includes exercises ranging in scope from routine to fairly sophisticated, including exploration of important theoretical or computational techniques.
Hardcover, 2nd Edition
Published January 15th 1999 by Wiley (first published January 1st 1900)

David
Dec 28, 2010 David is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Going on 6 years of "currently reading."
Justin
Sep 20, 2014 Justin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Another page turner. This is a wonderful text for anyone looking to learn abstract algebra. No wonder it's called the algebra bible! David S. Dummit weaves in tons of juicy examples for basically all the stories. He doesn't really leave a lot of things as a mystery for the reader. Everything is pretty crystal clear and up front. If you're looking for a mystery novel, this is not the choice for you. Sometimes I wish he left even more proofs as exercises for the readers. That would have reall ...more
Nishant Pappireddi
I am a student at UC Berkeley who is studying mathematics. Nine months ago, my friend sent me a pdf of this book because I was interested to see what kind of problems were being assigned in her Algebra class. Ever since then, I have become more and more enamored with Algebra, and this book has been critical in allowing me to discover its beauty and power.

As a general note, the layout of the book (in terms of aesthetic appearance) is actually among the best that I've seen in math textbooks. The p
Angm81
Dec 30, 2014 Angm81 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I certainly wouldn't say I liked this book, but I wouldn't say I liked any advanced math textbook. It did help me survive a 600-level Abstract Algebra class, though. The book itself was frustrating in a lot of the typical math textbook ways (i.e. using "clearly..." and "obviously..." in proofs to avoid explaining yourself; if it's clear and obvious, then it should be easy enough for you to state it, so do so!). I found it beyond annoying for another reason, though: the blatant disregard for use ...more
Terran
Nov 19, 2008 Terran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-serious
If you're going to study Abstract Algebra on your own, from texts, this is absolutely the place to do it. Thorough, clear, readable, in-depth, and yet not "concise" in that sense that mathematicians mean "readable only by experts in the field".
Qubitng
Mar 14, 2013 Qubitng rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math-algebra
Had to use it for undergrad algebra decades ago. Can't see the tree because there are too many leaves. Not recommended as the primary text at the undergrad level but maybe as a source for exercises.
John Hammond
Dec 13, 2011 John Hammond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math, algebra
Excellent book on Algebra.
César Carranza
Aug 26, 2016 César Carranza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
La verdad si es bueno))
Sofi Ullah
Mar 22, 2016 Sofi Ullah marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
it is very good for student.
AJ
Jan 10, 2009 AJ rated it liked it
Shelves: math
This book is certainly, as it proposes, thorough (as far as group theory, I can vouch) and certainly attains a readability that Hungerford lacks and an adherence to standard notational conventions (in the more advanced algebraic regimes such as Lie algebras) in which Lang is deficient. However, their style is slow.
For independent study at a leisurely pace, of group theory, this book is a good first source. It has a good collection of exercises overall, and these should be worked out instead of
Dan
Jun 25, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like abstract algebra
Shelves: maths
This book is dense and huge. So you know it has a ton of information.

I don't know if it is the best treatment of the material, but it is thorough (maybe even TOO thorough.)

But all in all it was the best algebra textbook I've ever had.

Used it all year in a graduate algebra course, and fortunately my torrid love affair with it has come to an end...

What I learned from this book:

commutative algebra, field theory, representation theory (sort of,) galois theory, and algebraic geometry.
Ming
Jul 31, 2015 Ming rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Used this book for Group Theory, Ring Theory, Module Theory and Galois Theory for the Honors Algebra Sequence in UChicago. Pretty good book - some very basic exercises, some suitably challenging ones; the exposition is relatively lucid and organised, the pacing comfortably slow (you don't have to do too much filling in of the gaps when it comes to proofs of important theorems and results). A pretty decent introduction to fundamentals of Abstract Algebra.
Waffles
It's a math text, so I didn't enjoy reading it, but it is a good comprehensive overview of algebra. I'm glad this was the text for my algebra sequence.
Une
Natalya
Jul 27, 2007 Natalya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mathematics
Eww, I have bad memories of Professor Shariari now.
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Eric Paniagua
Eric Paniagua rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Theodore Chronis
Theodore Chronis rated it it was amazing
Aug 23, 2016
Carrie
Carrie added it
Aug 18, 2016
SUCHARITA DAS
SUCHARITA DAS marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Aman Bhadoria
Aman Bhadoria marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Rintu Mauray
Rintu Mauray rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Marco Antonio
Marco Antonio rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2016
Brijesh Singh
Brijesh Singh rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Soham Pal
Soham Pal rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2016
kasthurica
kasthurica rated it did not like it
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Andrew Hughes
Andrew Hughes rated it it was amazing
Thiago Vasconcelos
Thiago Vasconcelos marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
  • Topology
  • Algebra
  • Algebraic Topology
  • Algebra (Graduate Texts in Mathematics) (v. 73)
  • Algebra
  • Calculus On Manifolds: A Modern Approach To Classical Theorems Of Advanced Calculus
  • Naive Set Theory
  • Linear Algebra
  • Introductory Functional Analysis with Applications
  • An Introduction to Information Theory: Symbols, Signals and Noise

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »