Start by marking “My Name Is Brian Brain” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Brian Brain

My Name Is Brian Brain

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This "outstanding" (School Library Journal) book for children is the sensitive portrayal of a boy who struggles to hide his dyslexia from his friends. Based on the author's personal experience as a dyslexic, this novel is "drawn from real insight". Kirkus Reviews.
Published January 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published March 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Brian Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Brian Brain

It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned VizziniThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThirteen Reasons Why by Jay AsherFlowers for Algernon by Daniel KeyesWintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
YA "Brain" Novels
79th out of 95 books — 161 voters
The Dyslexic Advantage by Brock L. EideOvercoming Dyslexia by Sally E. ShaywitzDyslexia by Carolina FrohlichPercy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set by Rick RiordanSecret Life of a Dyslexic Child by Robert  Frank
Best Dyslexia Books
8th out of 35 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth Bell
It is extremely difficult to find a book for middle school students that gives them a peek into the life of a child with a learning disability. This was one of the better books. I felt that it was a slow start but improved as it went along. I was glad to see his teacher and tutor as two people pulling for him. It was disappointing that although his teacher was a good guy, he never took control of the teasing/bullying in his classroom. I would like to think that this aspect of the book was unreal ...more
Cheryl
Explores the discovery of an 11 yo as he learns he has dyslexia and is guided to cope with it, and with his so-called friends' reactions. Effective, feels authentic, but doesn't pluck at the heartstrings or have much excitement.
Tej Pemmarazu
This is an excellent realistic Fiction. Brain is a good kid with responsible behavior. However, he gets into trouble at home and school because of his unknown problem and peer pressure. Him and his friends go to a secret hide out club where they meet after school and make jokes of other people. His parents are worried about his education and try to help him by hiring a tutor. At school he was assigned a project with a classmate, named Isabell that he is not really friends with. However, he puts ...more
Sara
Meh.

It's a story about a 12yo boy with dyslexia, lousy friends, and even lousier parents. I'm probably being picky, but a few things left a bad taste in my mouth-- for one, kids with shotguns, making fun of others as sport, and again, lousy parents.

It's nice to see a book about a main character coming to terms with his dyslexia. However, the resolution at the end left me wanting. I'm sure the author was going for the the "orphan complex" by giving the mc such uninvolved, uncaring parents. By the
Mehdi
My name is Brain Brian
By Jeanne Betancourt

Brian, is a very funny! He makes his classmates laugh when he write his name as Brain! But Brian knows that he is not really a brain! He is very stupid, and some of his classmates call him teachers pet! One day he discovered why he was so stupid, and it changed all of it.

I would not like to be friends with any character! Some are mean, most are stupid! I did not really like the book.

I did not like the book because Brian is very stupid and he doesn't real
Gordon Pennington
Brian, Dan, Richie, and John are the class clowns in school. They call themselves ‘The Jokers Club’. Sometimes Brian makes people laugh without even meaning to, such as when he writes his name as Brain instead of Brian. Mr. Bigham, Brian’s sixth grade teacher, diagnoses Brian with dyslexia. The other members of the Jokers Club begin to tease Brian about his problem, which forces Brian to truly assess what makes a real friend. He ends up becoming friends with a former enemy (Isabel) and disbands ...more
Nickie
I don't like the way kids and family are treating each other in the book but I do like that we are reading about dyslexia and the challenge of a boy who is diagnosed. One of our children also has dyslexia so it's nice to read about someone else with this challenge who is also bright in other ways that have to be discovered.

We finished this little book with some disappointment on my part. I really did not like how the parents behaved as adults. They sound unhappy and selfish.

I did like the change
Michelle
This book takes place in 1993 (published in 1993). I love that the author used the term 'learns differently' for the main character, Brian. Brian has dyslexia and needs to figured how he can learn differently than most students in his class. He learns to use assistive technology, a tape recorder and a laptop. For the times I think this is great and right on what was available. In many ways I'd love to see this story updated but I also like how simple it is with technology.
A great story to share
Beth
Slow start but good book.
Tweller83
Boy named Brian finds out from his 6th grade teacher that he isn't stupid, just dyslexic. He worries about not being friends with his "Joker's Club" because they all don't want to do well in school. He starts working with a tutor and feels much better about himself as the book goes along. He finds out he inherited his dyslexia from his father and grandfather. It seemed a little short in the explaining how dad got such a good job with dyslexia that went undiagnosed and untreated, but overall a go ...more
Roxana
A realy ggod book.
Brian Cave
Brian and a group of boy's could not stand school so they tried to make people laugh. One day Brian was called to the board, and spelled his name Brain. This was not part of a joke, but Brian had dyslexia. Brian is now the one who is teased, and troubled by his cognitive disability. His father is also a dyslexic, making matters even worse. You will see Brian grow.
Katie Jackson
Brian is a boy with dyslexia but doesn't know it. His teacher realizes his condition and gets Brian the help he needs. Brian is embarrassed of the extra attention he needs but realizes that he needs the attention becuase his brain works differently than everyone elses. This book would be used in my classroom to discuss self-esteem and always having hope.
Janine Darragh
This is a juvenile fiction book about a boy with dyslexia. Brian, a sixth grader, has to learn how to cope with his learning disability as well as his choice of friends and their behavior. The disability is realistically portrayed and does not overwhelm the plot line. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't moved by it either, hence 3 stars.
Danielle Krause
Although it does have some inaccuracies about the handling of disabilities in school, this book takes a humorous and sensitive approach towards the problems many new middle schoolers face. Kids will be able to relate to the themes of friendship and problems in school, and Brian is an interesting and intelligent narrator.
Jenn Bradley
I'm reading this for my special education course. I love the perspective the book is giving through the eyes of Brian. Not only is he struggling with a learning difference, but then the peer pressure all kids go through. I'm intrigued as to how my professor is going to use this in the class.
Krista
This book would be appropriate for a low elementary student who was struggling with their special needs. I love that it speaks to a special needs child, but I didn't find much substance to the book. Perhaps one day I'll run across a student who connect with this character.
Megan
I was supposed to teach this to my kids this year, but ended up running out of time. I'll be interested in what they have to say next year, though--I think some of them will recognize themselves in the annoying bad boys.
Stacey
Probably 4th-5th grade level. Great description about dyslexia for anyone though. Clever book with a few details about geese too!
Katie
Anyone with any kind of disabillity should read this
Ariel
Learning Profile, examples of Differentiated Instruction
SueAnn
Great lesson about dyslexia for kids.
Partridge Public
Sep 27, 2007 Partridge Public added it
Recommends it for: JF Bet
Shelves: juniorfiction
Betancourt, Jeanne PB
Matthew Johnson
Nov 17, 2008 Matthew Johnson rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Matthew by: library book sale
two words not good
Keri
Aug 27, 2012 Keri marked it as to-read
its good
Peter
Peter added it
Dec 08, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
  • Back to Front and Upside Down!
  • Rogue
  • My Dyslexia
  • Pinned
  • Double Dutch
  • All Alone in the Universe
  • A Friendship For Today
  • We Were There, Too!: Young People in U.S. History
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • A Boy Called Twister (Urban Underground #3)
  • Breaking Rank
  • All the Way Home
  • Return of the Library Dragon
  • The True Colors of Caitlynne Jackson
  • Choosing Up Sides
  • We Could Be Brothers
  • Report to the Principal's Office!
  • The Graduation of Jake Moon
When I was growing up I never thought of being an author. I was a terrible speller and didn't want to write any more than I had to. I wanted to be a tap dancer when I grew up. After a few years of teaching junior high and high school, I wrote my first novel. It was a surprise to discover that I liked making up stories and writing them down. I liked it so much that eventually I stopped teaching and ...more
More about Jeanne Betancourt...
I Want a Pony (Pony Pals, #1) A Pony for Keeps (Pony Pals, #2) Runaway Pony (Pony Pals, #7) Too Many Ponies (Pony Pals, #6) A Pony in Trouble (Pony Pals, #3)