Start by marking “Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966” as Want to Read:
Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966

Fragrant Palm Leaves: Journals, 1962-1966

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Thich Nhat Hanh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, poet, and peacemaker. Author of more than 35 books, including Living Buddha Living Christ, Being Peace, and The Heart of Understanding, he lives in France, where he heads the monastic community known as Plum Village. Since the early 1980s, he has come to NorthAmerica regularly to lecture and give retreats on the art of mindful ...more
Published December 28th 1998 by Parallax Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Fragrant Palm Leaves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fragrant Palm Leaves

Garrett Zecker
This was a really phenomenal book. I am so glad that I read it when I did, especially considering I was going through a lot of anxiety and worry over some really seemingly important things. The beginning of the book was very relaxing and introspective about nature, and as the Vietnam war became more and more unavoidable in his journal writing, it became a dialog on how to take worries and make them transparent and look at oneself a little more introspectively. I am very grateful for everything I ...more
Myridian
Tich Nhat Hanh's writings here were so poignant and so beautiful that I highly, highly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in Buddhism or mindfulness or Tich Nhat Hanh. It's really enlightening to see the struggles that even this man, who I would consider a bodhisatva, goes through as he deals with the pain and horror of what man is capable of. This book made Tich Nhat Hanh a real person to me. It also increased my dedication to trying to live my own life mindfully and with a commitme ...more
Megan
Fragrant Palm Leaves is a wonderful book about a monk who leaves Vietnam during the War and teaches at Columbia University. I enjoyed the book a lot because there were a lot of hidden life lessons. Although it was a great book, I didn't like how the novel was journal entries. I would recommend this book to teenagers and adults who enjoy reading journal entries and are interested learn about the Vietnam War.
Kapila
"Flowers don't know how to hate"

We know the feeling of difference after being somewhere, or reading something, or having an experience that leaves us changed - temporarily, anyway. Like being in a quiet place, or an old place, this book leaves you changed, and makes you yearn for that other way of being that seems to be so close to us, that other way of being that would leave you changed forever.
sallie
This book beautifully mixes both tragic and uplifting stories. But what makes this book such a pleasure to read is that it allows us reside within the mind of a monk who, despite great difficulties in Vietnam, remains peaceful, joyful, and with enjoyment of the most simplest of pleasures. The simplest of thoughts become revolutionary enlightenment.
Donna
So often while reading this book, my heart swelled and I could not help but smile by the gentle words of Thich Nhat Hanh. I am familiar with his teachings, but it was insightful to see everyday thoughts and ideas being set into motion. A lovely lesson on living a meaningful life away from the places and people you hold dear.
Anthony
TNH's depiction of his native Viet Nam and mangrove forests was the first calling I had to visit that country. Too bad what I saw bears only a scant resemblance to his idyllic capturing of both nature and a stalwart people.
Britt Doughty-godchaux
I picked up this book to understand a person who I admired in theory, but didn't connect with in some of his other materials. Now I get it more: Thich Nhat Hanh is just like anyone else. He pines and he copes.
Rebecca
Thich Nhat Hanh is a remarkable human being. These journals provided insight into his daily life in a way that is even more personal than his usual style of writing. They end just before he is forced to leave Vietnam.
Travis Fortney
Years and years after reading these books, I recently recommended them to a friend who was looking for an introduction to Buddhism. I hadn't realized how much of Hanh's teaching had worked it's way into my daily life.
Megan K
a personal account of thich nhat hanh's early life full of so much beauty, wisdom, and poetry.
Julie
This is the first book I've read by Thich Nhat Hanh and I look forward to reading others.
Evan Sutter
A beautiful and sweetly written journal by a very interesting and inspirational man
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Paolo
Paolo added it
Jan 03, 2015
Molly Conlon
Molly Conlon is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2014
Jayne West
Jayne West marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Wisky Liu
Wisky Liu marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Deborah Bowman
Deborah Bowman marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Najthida
Najthida is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2014
SoSaysB
SoSaysB marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Colby
Colby marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Pure Heart, Enlightened Mind: the Zen journal & letters of Maura "Soshin" O'Halloran
  • Teachings of the Buddha
  • Open Heart, Clear Mind: An Introduction to the Buddha's Teachings
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Zen Buddhism: Selected Writings
  • The Five Books of Moses: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy (The Schocken Bible, Volume 1)
  • The Magus of Java: Teachings of an Authentic Taoist Immortal
  • The Dhammapada: A New Translation of the Buddhist Classic with Annotations
  • The Beginner's Guide to Zen Buddhism
  • Awakening: Conversations with the Masters
  • Zen Effects: The Life of Alan Watts
  • The Heart of the World: A Journey to the Last Secret Place
Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in southwest France where he was in exile for many years.

Born Nguyễn Xuân Bảo, Thích Nhất Hạnh joined a Zen (Vietnamese: Thiền) monastery at the age of 16, and studied Buddhism as a novitiate. Upon his ordination as a monk in 1949, he assumed the Dharma name Thích Nhất Hạnh. Thích is an honorary
More about Thích Nhất Hạnh...
Peace Is Every Step: The Path of Mindfulness in Everyday Life The Miracle of Mindfulness: An Introduction to the Practice of Meditation Living Buddha, Living Christ The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching: Transforming Suffering into Peace, Joy, and Liberation Being Peace

“Life waits patiently for true heroes. It is dangerous when those aspiring to be heroes cannot wait until they find themselves.” 0 likes