Start by marking “Sea-Horse in the Sky: A Science Fiction Novel” as Want to Read:
Sea-Horse in the Sky: A Science Fiction Novel

Sea-Horse in the Sky: A Science Fiction Novel

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This little-known story begins when over a dozen people awake in coffins. They find themselves in an area made to look like a town--it contains a stocked store, a hotel, a inoperable car & plastic coffins, each containing a passenger from an international flight, each apparently snatched out of midair, since there's no flight wreckage & all seem alive & unharme ...more
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 191 pages
Published March 1969 by Hodder & Stoughton Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Sea-Horse in the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea-Horse in the Sky

Kurt Reichenbaugh
“My dear,” he said lightly. “You must allow me the privilege of a certain quaint hypocrisy. A gentleman never does his nut in the presence of a lady.”

Sea-Horse in the Sky, by Edmund Cooper is the first old (from 1969) Science Fiction novel that I've recently read that provided some of that sense of wonder that turned my on to the genre when I was a kid. No, it hasn’t made the upper echelons of Sci-Fi classics, but it’s a pretty cool book anyway.

The novel begins with 16 strangers waking up in co
Stonebender
I've been feeling nostalgic recently. So I'm rereading old faves or reading authors I haven't read since I was a kid. This was one of those, I read Mr. Cooper as a child, but haven't read this particular book before.

This story is very reminiscent of a Twilight Zone '50's style. The fun part is really the beginning. 16 people who were on the same flight from Sweden to England suddenly wake up in plastic see-through coffins on an asphalt road. As they escape their boxes they find they have awakene
melydia
Russell Graham is a member of Parliament on a flight from Stockholm to London when things get interrupted and he awakens in a strange green coffin in a fake town containing only a store and a hotel. The road goes nowhere and the cars on it have no engines. He and a handful of his fellow passengers are stranded and must figure out what's going on. I really enjoyed this one, especially the journey through the story, slowly discovering the truth along with the characters. I can honestly say I did n ...more
V.W. Singer
The thing about Edmond Cooper is that he still remembered that Science Fiction was all about how science, human or alien, affected humans, and sometimes vice versa.

Sea-Horse in the Sky is an excellent example of the "what if" school of SF. A plane load of passengers wake up in green plastic/glass coffins in a world that is obviously not Earth. Despite that, the air is breathable and the planet actually rather nice.

The MC, the "hero" if you will, is, like most of Cooper's heroes, fairly unremarka
Cerrah
Sometimes book sale finds are the best. You can create and search as many reading lists as you like but the gems you discover on your own always mean the most. Edmund Cooper is a genius. I have read no other story that was so beautiful and intelligent in its simplicity in the realm of science fiction and I believe it is something that any reader can enjoy.
James
Very good book by sadly much-neglected author - possibly because this has the feel of a 'golden age" late 1950s science fiction novel despite being written in the mid-60s; maybe the time for this style had passed. Taken as a golden-age novel though, it would be the equal of the likes of Clarke, Asimov, or any of the other big names. Recommended.
D.M. Dutcher
Decent if forgettable SF novel. 16 people on a British flight suddenly wake up in green coffins next to a hotel, a supermarket, and two cars. They try and deal with what obviously is an alien abduction, but for what purpose? And why do they see knights and fairies here too?

It's good in that the sixteen people face their challenge in a realistic manner. They don't act particularly stupid nor is it all one dystopian scream-fest. It's a little unrealistic in how well they adapt, however, and once t
Willa Cartwright
Read this many years ago. It was presented to be as a intriguing novel - which indeed, it is.
Amadeo Donofrio
John
Nov 07, 2014 John rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
1982 grade B
Erik Graff
Jun 29, 2009 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cooper fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I liked this science fiction novel more than some of the other, extremely sexist, books I've read by Cooper. Indeed, given how little I've liked most of his publications it is remarkable how many of them I've read. Presumably this is because his books tend not to be saved and end up in resale shops.
krin
Oct 16, 2010 krin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
This is a good science fiction story about different groups of people finding themselves in a very new and unexpected place. I liked how they figured out how to get beyond the river valley and learn who brought them there and why.
Mark
excellent bus book
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 18, 2015
Otto Granath
Otto Granath marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Steven Laube
Steven Laube marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Betsy
Betsy added it
Jun 08, 2015
Jennifer Brum
Jennifer Brum is currently reading it
Jun 03, 2015
Hugh
Hugh marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Walking Israel: A Personal Search for the Soul of a Nation
  • Wolfbane
  • Evening in Byzantium
  • Bombay Ice
  • The Wonder (Bison Frontiers of Imagination)
  • The Purity Plot ( Family d'Alembert #6)
  • The Morpheus Factor (Stargate SG-1 #4)
  • Servants of the Map
  • The Immortals
  • And Chaos Died
  • Four Dragons
  • Betrayals
  • Star Wars: The National Public Radio Dramatization
Excerpted from wikipedia:
Edmund Cooper was born in Marple, near Stockport in Cheshire on April 30, 1926. He served in the Merchant Navy towards the end of the Second World War. After World War II, he trained as a teacher and began to publish short stories. His first novel, Deadly Image Deadly Image by Edmund Cooper (later republished as The Uncertain Midnight) was completed in 1957 and published in 1958. A 1956 short story, B
More about Edmund Cooper...
The Overman Culture Transit A Far Sunset All Fools' Day Kronk (Coronet Books)