Start by marking “Beowulf” as Want to Read:

For a dozen years, the monster Grendel has haunted the Danish kingdom ruled over by Hrothgar. In the night, Grendel stalks the land, slaughtering all he meets. When food is scarce, he raids the king's high hall, devouring warriors and hauling others back to his dank home in the marshes. Word of the monster spreads far and wide, and from across the sea comes the warrior Beo ...more
Published October 2nd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published October 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beowulf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beowulf

Jan 15, 2008 Ben rated it liked it
A decent retelling of the story, with excitingly stylistic, but surprisingly minimalist art. Some nice Old English kennings are preserved. But none of the history portion remains. At least there's no Angelina Jolie.
Tom Fogarty
Feb 13, 2008 Tom Fogarty rated it really liked it
A lot better then the movie screenplay by Gaiman and Avary. I would recommend reading the original translated version over the graphic novel,(I only read the Chickering version but I hear good things about Heaney's translation), but this is still entertaining and valid.
Jennifer Wardrip
Apr 29, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it liked it
Reviewed by JodiG. for

Based on the classic story, this graphic novel tells the tale of Beowulf, an epic hero who bravely faces the most fearsome creatures.

In the kingdom of Hrothgar, men are being slaughtered by a godless creature. Grendel has proven that he cannot be defeated, even by the king's greatest warriors. He comes in the night and feeds on the men. After twelve years, Beowulf comes to the aid of Hrothgar. He defeats Grendel and earns himself fame. But his battle is fa
Jul 27, 2008 David rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Not the best version of Beowulf I've read, but pretty good. And Chamberlain's art really jumps off the page. Very dynamic.
Nov 03, 2008 Merica rated it it was amazing
I think the following recurring line best represents this book: "All things born to live on this earth must die, no matter how they struggle. The light from even the greatest being dims in time. It is so for each and every man and woman. And also for heroes and monsters." (Great writing mini-lesson opportunity, along with several strong metaphors throughtout the text.)

The words and graphics in this graphic novel work together seamlessly to make a classic tale come alive for the reader. I'd highl
Dec 10, 2008 Stuart rated it really liked it
This is actualy a suprisingly good book. It pretty much summerizes the whole beowulf book but it is easier to understand because it does all the visulzing for you. It also take real quotes from the actual book that make it even closer to the actual text.
Mar 09, 2009 Jamesmcbride rated it liked it
Shelves: q2-2008

We recently read Beowulf in class, and to help understand I wanted to read the "comic book." It was entertaining with all the details of the real story and awesome pictures to help you visualize what's going on. I'm not completely finished with it yet, but so far it's really helped me grasp the story better.

This retelling of the epic poem Beowulf gives you more of an idea of the story with graphic pictures, and easy to understand text. Based more like a comic, I was able to better
Jun 04, 2009 Tripmastermonkey rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
well, now i know the tale of beowulf and grendel. i think there's a bit probably missing in the translation. the point of an epic is in the telling, yeah? eh, it was a quick read
Scott Berzon
Dec 28, 2009 Scott Berzon rated it liked it
One of the first graphic novels I've ever read, so I'm not sold on the genre yet. Having said that, for those who like the Beowulf story, it'll be a quick and enjoyable read.
Tim Hardin
May 01, 2011 Tim Hardin rated it liked it
Norse mythology. power struggle, Great story
Eric Kienholz
Eric Kienholz rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2011
Anna rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2012
Michal rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Manasi rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Giuliana Yandoli
Giuliana Yandoli rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2013
Sophia Regan
Oct 11, 2013 Sophia Regan rated it liked it
Well, I had to read this book for school it sure wasn't my favorite... but it kept me interested I guess...
Aysia Schroeder
Oct 31, 2013 Aysia Schroeder rated it liked it
“Beowulf”, is an epic poem about Hrothgar’s castle in Denmark that is harassed by a monster, Grendel, for over 12 years. Beowulf, a Geat, hears about this and decides he is going to be the hero and fight Grendel. He sails across the sea and gets to Denmark with 14 other Geats. Since Grendel does not use any weapons Beowulf decides to fight him with his bare hands as well. Beowulf goes into the battle with confidence. In the end he rips off Grendel’s arm. Grendel then flees to his lair and soon d ...more
Apr 25, 2015 Kurt rated it liked it
The poetic flow made this book fun to read. I'd recommend it purely for the historical significance. I read the translation by Crawford Logan (which wasn't listed here in Goodreads).
Jan 24, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
This graphic novel is a good intro to the Beowulf epic poem. This version is close enough to the plot lines covered in the bigger academic versions of the story. The pictures are not too bloody so I would recommend this even to younger readers.
Feb 24, 2014 Destinee rated it really liked it
Great story! I had to read this for a university class and actually came to like it! It was read in Old English so it was hard to get into but I loved the scenes with Grendel! This story painted many mental images!
Amy J
Mar 31, 2014 Amy J added it
Read in LA Class, does have some action but can be hard to absorb the details at some points. Plot is somewhat engaging but very good when learning analysis of Old English language.
Isabelle rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Regino Leon
Jun 02, 2015 Regino Leon rated it it was amazing
Now "Beowulf" is a book I could get into. This is a book that had a lot of fighting and a lot of adventures. This is the kind of book I enjoy because as a boy, I was always fascinated by myths and fairy tales.

"Beowulf" is an epic poem about a man from Sweden who travels to Denmark so he can rid the land of an evil monster named Grendel. Grendel was a monster that terrorized the castle named Heorot. After this battle, Beowulf fights Grendel’s mother after she murders Hrothgar's adviser, Aeschere.
Ioriana Maiava
Ioriana Maiava rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2015
Dec 17, 2015 Jludlow rated it liked it
Kristen rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Ryan Hunt
Mar 21, 2016 Ryan Hunt rated it it was ok
Honestly, for what it was, a short graphic version of the epic narrative, this book did a fairly good job. Of course, the fun of Beowulf comes from the poetic language and descriptions of battle and monsters. The comic tries its best to keep this language, but steals from the imagination what could have been more interesting Grendels and more mighty feats of battle.

I would recommend this book to someone who wants a quick familiarity with Beowulf without the large investment of reading the epic,
Sarah rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Dana Emerick Yocum
Dana Emerick Yocum rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Ashante Hunter
Sep 23, 2016 Ashante Hunter rated it it was amazing
this book is very interesting.i like the way how they explain everything in detail and how they describe the way the beast was made .the main part that i like is how they show the way the man killed the beast....
Credits 1 4 May 23, 2010 11:47AM
  • Amber Was Brave, Essie Was Smart
  • Marathon
  • Shakespeare's Hamlet: The Manga Edition
  • Last of the Mohicans (Marvel Illustrated)
  • Flink
  • Axe Cop, Vol. 3
  • The Case of Madeleine Smith (A Treasury Of Victorian Murder)
  • Herobear and the Kid Volume 1: The Inheritance
  • Prince of Persia
  • The Killer, Volume One
  • King Lear
  • Waltz With Bashir: A Lebanon War Story
Stefan Petrucha (born January 27, 1959) is an American writer for adults and young adults. He has written graphic novels in the The X-Files and Nancy Drew series, as well as science fiction and horror.
Born in the Bronx, he has spent time in the big city and the suburbs, and now lives in western Massachusetts with his wife, fellow writer Sarah Kinney, and their daughters. At times he has been a tec
More about Stefan Petrucha...