Beowulf

Beowulf

3.2 of 5 stars 3.20  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A special adaptation of the big-screen retelling of the ancient myth from filmmakers Neil Gaiman, Roger Avary and Robert Zemeckis! In the sixth century, the warrior Beowulf must do battle with the monster Grendel as well as Grendel's mother and a dragon who has a personal connection to the Scandanavian warrior. Adapted by Chris Ryall and Gabriel Rodriguez (Clive Barker's T...more
Published October 30th 2007 by IDW Publishing (first published October 15th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Beowulf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beowulf

Ian Wood
This is the complete review as it appears at my blog dedicated to reading, writing (no 'rithmatic!), movies, & TV. Blog reviews often contain links which are not reproduced here, nor will updates or modifications to the blog review be replicated here.

I rated this graphic novel worthy!

WARNING! UNHIDDEN SPOILERS! PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK!

This is a movie/novel tie-in.

As in the movie (which this novel follows really closely for good reason!), but which is illustrated independently, the story beg...more
Charlotte
I should probably begin this review by saying, I'm not such a huge fan of graphic novels. Its the words, the connections we are able to make with characters through these words that captivate me. Unfortunately, pictures with small speech bubble conversations between characters cannot pull me into a story. I certainly felt throughout the graphic novel that due to this lack of written words that the story moved far to quickly for my liking, one moment these warriors are arriving via Viking ships,...more
SharlzG
I've not seen the movie but the original epic tale is on my list and Gaiman's work always intrigues me so when I saw this on sale I couldn't resist.

I have no doubt that it will vary significantly from the original tale but it was an interesting read and the art was well suited to the tale. I enjoyed it but definitely inspired to read the original work for comparison & because this adaptation assures me that it will be suitably epic for my liking (which I guess makes this a good teaser for t...more
Shanna
People have to understand that the graphic novel is based on the movie... And the movie is based on the original. So obviously there will be differences between the graphic novel version and the epic tale of the original. With that being said, I think that this version is a wonderful adaptation of the film. The illustrations are beautiful, the writing isn't childish yet still suitable for a graphic novel, and it's easy to follow (granted- I did see the film and have read the original).

I remember...more
Tonya
Pretty sure this is the edit I read. I have a new edit on my nook.

Epic and ancient poetry is fascinating to me...
eli
I wasn't aware that Neil Gaiman wrote the screenplay for the live action/animated theatrical version of Beowulf. I get the sense that things changed from the epic poem to the film (and this graphic novel based on the film) but I can't remember. Reading this graphic novel makes me want to go back and reread Beowulf and maybe find a copy of Grendel.

I think this graphic novel would be a intro to the more difficult Beowulf text. Teach with graphic novels, anyone?
Lars Guthrie
I, for one, liked the movie and Neil Gaiman and Roger Avary's twist on the original story. Grendel's mother is not really defeated until Beowulf dies fighting the dragon. That's because she is a part of who he is. It's a radical re-doing that somehow seemed true and provocative. So this comic book was a lot of fun.
Tom Fogarty
I was disappointed with the screenplay and the movie. I guess it would be unfair to blame this graphic novel as it is only an adaptation of the screenplay. I liked the original Beowolf and even the graphic novel that is its companion. This I could have done without. There was no need for any changes.
Peacegal
I thought the movie was a poorly-done bore, but thankfully, this adaptation of the classic hero tale transfers much more smoothly to the comics medium. I really enjoyed the illustrations--they were a standout. I will say, though, that that was the most suggestively-drawn cave I've ever seen.
angrykitty
holy crap did this suck!!! if it wasn't for my long standing stance that i don't give anything one star, this would have gotten one star.....wtf neil gaiman?????
Neil
Definitely one clever twist added to the classic, but still overall kinda bland.
Joy
The mother of Grendel, with her high-heel-mimicking bone-spurs, or whatever they are - what is that??
Erin
Not a horrible version of the Beowulf story. Obviously it does divert, but that is to mostly make it its own.
C Mayer
C Mayer marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Chinmmay Relle
Chinmmay Relle marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Leanna
Leanna marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Janice
Janice marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Kay Limbu
Kay Limbu marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Complete Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show Clive Barker's The Great And Secret Show, Volume 2 Road Rage Zombies Vs. Robots Zombies vs. Robots Complete