Start by marking “Who Was Marco Polo?” as Want to Read:
Who Was Marco Polo?

Who Was Marco Polo? (Who Was/Is...?)

Marco Polo was seventeen when he set out for China . . . and forty-one when he came back! More than seven hundred years ago, Marco Polo traveled from the medieval city of Venice to the fabled kingdom of the great Kublai Khan, seeing new sights and riches that no Westerner had ever before witnessed. But did Marco Polo experience the things he wrote about . . . or was it all ...more
Published July 5th 2007 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who Was Marco Polo?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Was Marco Polo?

George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy HawkingThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankIf You Lived Here by Giles LarocheBalloons Over Broadway by Melissa SweetCastle by David Macaulay
Best Children's Nonfiction
163rd out of 219 books — 88 voters
A Girl from Yamhill by Beverly ClearyBertie the Balloon at the Zoo by Mrs Kim RobinsonBilly Bramble and The Great Big Cook Off by Sally DonovanCan a Princess Be a Firefighter? by Carole P. RomanClaude Going for Gold! by Alex T. Smith
Books for Y3 Pupils
42nd out of 72 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Judi Paradis
Aug 02, 2010 Judi Paradis rated it liked it
My first "who was" (or "big head" as we call them at school) biography. I really enjoyed this. It was clearly written with a nice sense of narrative so that it really felt like a novel. The text is paced well with lots of line drawings and maps. There are also several call outs in the book that provide additional background information about the times and customs of the biographical character. I learned a lot here! Excellent choice for grades 3 and up.
Little Miss and the Legomeister
Legomeister used this book to write his fourth grade biography speech. I really liked it. It had lots of good information, was very understandable and readable, and made the subject interesting. I learned quite a bit. I plan on reading more of this series.
Aito Okamoto
May 01, 2016 Aito Okamoto rated it it was amazing
Helped me on my 3rd grade project
Tindra
Nov 14, 2016 Tindra rated it really liked it
The book I read was, Who was Marco Polo by, joan holub. This book is explaining his life and his journeys. But the most famous part is his journal.This journal is how he became famous and all the things he did. The main famous events that happned is traveling to china in 3 years and meeting the leader of china. People found this so interesting becuase it was so dangerous to travel there and that's what he did. But not everyone one beilived him becuase of the crazy unbeliever details he had put ...more
Mckayla M
Oct 25, 2016 Mckayla M rated it really liked it
October
Who was Marco Polo
Joan Holub

Marco Polo was just 17 when he had decided to travel to China. When he arrived back home, he was 41! People who lived near him and even his family didn't even recognize him because his clothes were all raggedy and dirty from the journey. But when he ripped off his clothes, tons of jewels fell out and people then new that he was a polo. Years and years ago, Marco travelled from Venice all the way to the kingdom of kublai khan. On his journey, he has seen many
Tag Broaderip
Oct 03, 2016 Tag Broaderip rated it liked it
Marco Polo was a vary rich child when he was little so if he wanted he could travel a lot. He did travel a lot he was one of the first people who traveled to China in his country and he wanted to go all over the world but is was vary dangerous and his parents did not want him to at such a young age so he water a few years and he went to China again for 20 years they met the leader of China and he was a vary good leader now one did not like him every one loved him but by the time they were going ...more
გიგი ყავრიშვილი
wava ra sainteresoa
zapkode.marie
{My thoughts} – Everyone is aware of the game that individual’s like to play called Marco Polo. One person says Marco and another says Polo. The individual that says Marco is suppose to find the individual that says Polo without being able to physically see them. This game is often played in bodies of water. Marco Polo the explorer is whom the game is named after.

Marco Polo was a born a merchant in Italy. He came from a family of merchants and it was ll he every knew and was taught. When he turn
Victoria
Mar 10, 2010 Victoria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children of an appropriate reading age
I volunteer through a pen pal service to get and discuss books with fifth graders. This is the biography that my pen pal chose. I must say, I found this book to be really well-written for the age group. While obviously it was not particularly enlightening reading for myself, I was surprised by just how much information was crammed into the compact little book. It also seemed very interactive with the special sections. I was particularly impressed by the "What life would be like if you were a..." ...more
Takuya Kitaura
Jun 30, 2013 Takuya Kitaura rated it it was amazing
penguin level 3.0
Time 6/29 50 min 6/30 20min
7 word summary Marco-travel-Asia-saw-many-interesting-map

Discussion question

Marco traveled many places and saw many things.

Have you ever been to foreign countries more than 1 time?

What is your favourite experience, if you went to foreign countries?

A. When I was freshman, I went to
Boston. Then I had marverous experience with my host father. He was good at marcial arts. He taught me Muay Thai and Kung Fu. That was my marverous and bizarre experience.

Ma
James
Mar 20, 2011 James rated it it was amazing
Dear Readers,

I read a book called Who was Marco Polo written by Joan Holub. The setting took place in Italy where Marco Polo lived in over 750 years ago. The house looks like a little bit small. The sound Marco Polo may hear is people selling meat and foods. Also, Marco Polo may smell the meat outside that has may given to someone. Marco Polo may see many people walking and buying stuff.

I wouldn't like to go to Italy over 750 years ago because they don't normally have many seats to sit and to ea
Yuka Honda
Nov 18, 2012 Yuka Honda rated it liked it
Title-Who was Marco Polo?
Time-11/17=40min,11/18=30min
7Words-Italy,travel,note,China,Mongol,camel,desert
Discussion Question-
1. Q. Marco Polo liked traveling. What countries do you want to travel?
A. I want to travel in China, because I learn Chinese, so I want to commnicate with Chinese.
2. Q. He respected rules of a Chinese philosopher named Confucius. Who are you respect?
A. I respect my mother, because she always works at a banks and do housework. I want to be a mother like my mother.
Lola
Jan 13, 2012 Lola rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Yet another miss by Who Was. To be fair, Marco Polo is a hard subject for anyone, but especially for a series for kids. The sources for Marco Polo are few and mostly unreliable. For a children's series like this, it's hard to write about someone we don't have any definite information on because kids studying history like to know that something is absolutely 100% true, and that's pretty rare in the era Marco Polo lived in.
Ippei
Dec 09, 2012 Ippei rated it liked it

-grosset&dunlap, geoff edgers, leaves3.0
-Time 12/10=90mins
-7-word summary: Italy-Map-China-trade-prisoner-Travelar-world
-Discussion questions:
1.He did a long trip for a long time. Do you like to travel?
Yes, but I love my home country so I prefer a short travel.

2.If you have a chance, what country do you want to go?
I want to go OZ because there is a friend who stayed at my home several years ago. I want to meet him again.
Chris
Apr 19, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
I love this series of books because they have factual information about historical people in an interactive, engaging manner that students like to read. I kept hearing about the legend of Marco Polo leaving China with over 600 men and when he returned he only had 8 men and a princess left. It looks like that was true and now I want to know what truly happened on the voyage home.
E2south
Apr 12, 2013 E2south rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
If you are looking for a book about Marco Polo and an early reader or just want to know about him I would suggest this one because it has a lot of facts. It also has pictures to follow along with.It is a short life story of him.Has a lot of great information. It tells about his sea battles, where he went, what he traded, when he was a boy etc.
Yusuke Sato
Nov 14, 2013 Yusuke Sato rated it liked it
90minute

7words
traveler/Europe/book/adventure/Mongol/Vasco de Gama/sailing

Question
If you were travelar, where do you want to go?
I want to go to Egypt, because I'm interested in Egyptian culture.

In the past, everyone believed the continent is conected. However, Marco Polo traveled around the world to reveal the fact.
Raylyn Lee
I know what you are thinking, why is this 11 year old reading this book. But the book was actually very information. I learned a lot of things that I didn't know. Such as who Marco Polo was. I think this book always kept my interested. I would recommend this book to all people because it is very informational. I really enjoyed this book.
Melissa
Jul 25, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is a fun book about Marco Polo and the era he lived in. I love the many facts of Kublai Khan, China, and the people who lived there during his time. I also liked how they left it up to the reader to believe what they wanted about Marco Polo. This book encourages students to do more research on Marco Polo.
Esther May
Oct 15, 2014 Esther May rated it liked it
Wow, some people just have interesting lives. He was born in a time when people just usually stayed where they were born, but he did not. Most of his life was lived really far away from home. Marco Polo was an interesting guy to read about.
Elizabeth
Feb 25, 2014 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
My daughters were 6 & almost 3. Both enjoyed it...my youngest obviously did not sit with us every time we read but she would repeat things about Marco for weeks to follow. My oldest thought it was great.
jenni1st
Aug 31, 2016 jenni1st rated it it was amazing
Maricarmen Estrada M
Nov 06, 2014 Maricarmen Estrada M rated it really liked it
Great read about the life of Marco Polo and lots of fun facts related to his biography! I can't wait for my students to read it!
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
What this book did well was contextualize Marco Polo's trip in its time period. Wish there was more discussion of ideas that were new that he brought back. Also this book needs maps.
Antonio Talamantes
Jul 19, 2015 Antonio Talamantes rated it really liked it
Amazing facts! highly recommended it for schools. Lots of pictures and maps which make it a fast paced book.
Mayrocks
Sep 05, 2013 Mayrocks rated it really liked it
I love playing Marco Polo. but one day I thought wanted to find out what was behind the name.so I picked up this book and read it.
Kate
Mar 31, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, in2books
This was picked by my In2Books penpal. I thought it was a really cute and informative take on Marco Polo's life.
Teige Seiden
Feb 29, 2016 Teige Seiden rated it it was amazing
Quick book with lots of facts. I believe Marco Polo's stories. He might have exaggerated a teeny bit. I think like 1% exaggeration.
Isaac
Jun 27, 2011 Isaac rated it it was amazing
I learned new things about Marco Polo and new words. I think it was interesting. Marco Polo did not go on the trip to China alone. He went with his uncle and dad.
Robin Jorgensen
My son read it

my son felt it did not provide any new information about Marco polo beyond what he had already researched on the web
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Who Was Thomas Jefferson?
  • Who Was Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Mark Twain?
  • Who Was Daniel Boone?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Elvis Presley?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Leonardo da Vinci?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Charles Darwin?
  • Who Was Annie Oakley?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
Children's book author: MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love.
More about Joan Holub...

Who Was/Is...? (1 - 10 of 128 books)
  • Who Was Abigail Adams?
  • Who Was Abraham Lincoln?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Alexander Graham Bell?
  • Who Was Alexander the Great?
  • Who Was Alfred Hitchcock?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Andy Warhol?