Start by marking “The US Intelligence Community” as Want to Read:
The US Intelligence Community

The US Intelligence Community

The role of intelligence in US government operations has changed dramatically and is now more critical than ever to domestic security and foreign policy. This authoritative and highly researched book provides a detailed overview of America's vast intelligence empire—its organizations, its operations (from spies on the ground to satellites thousands of miles in space), and ...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Westview Press (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The US Intelligence Community, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The US Intelligence Community

Chad
Apr 23, 2014 Chad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So I went on a kick of spy/intelligence books last year, and bought this one as part of it. As it turns out, this book appears to be a textbook for at least a 300 or 400 level government class. It goes into painstaking detail about the names of departments, delineation of responsibilities, history of who merged into what and so on. I wouldn't have bought this book without taking a class that needed it if I hadn't realized, although I did learn a huge amount of detail by reading it.
Mel
Jun 27, 2010 Mel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: waste-of-my-time
I had to read this for a college course. Basically this is a cut and paste of different sources, with absolutely no flow from paragraph to paragraph or original thought. Every time I tried to read it I would be overcome by an overwhelming desire to close my eyes and sleep. I highly recommend this book to insomniacs or people who gather information for research papers by typing in a search string on Google and then copying the first paragraph of everything that Google spits back at them.
Spencer Willardson
If you want to know the who, what, where, and why of intelligence in the U.S. this is the first place you should start. Richelson is thorough in his description of agencies and their relationships with one another.
Joshua
Jun 11, 2012 Joshua rated it liked it
Not a hard read per se. Lot's of graphs and charts. Probably the worst thing about this book is it's littered with alphabet soup. As a friend pointed out if you want a good book on the IC, Intelligence by Lowenthal is a better read.
Wayne
Nov 25, 2008 Wayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have actually read the fourth edition that was written in 1999. I am interested to take a look at this new edition and see what changes are in it since the intelligence community has changed so much since 9/11.
Shawn
May 09, 2008 Shawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A concise and nonpolitical primer on US intelligence, useful as a quick desk reference for researchers but only scratches the surface.

www.cryptome.org
www.wikileaks.org
www.governmentattic.org
Dr. Barrett  Dylan Brown, Phd
A decent, if now outdated, attempt to catagorize and map out the various U.S. Agencies with an investment in Intelligence.
Justin Smith
Justin Smith rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2012
Taylor Reynolds
Taylor Reynolds rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2012
Nathan
Aug 27, 2011 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encyclopedic -- and incredibly boring!
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2015
Alexis Marrero
Alexis Marrero rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2016
Prateet
Prateet rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2017
Evelien Josselin
Evelien Josselin rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2014
Jis
Jis rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Lee
Aug 21, 2008 Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome information source
Peter Delaney
Peter Delaney rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2015
Toby Davis
Toby Davis rated it it was ok
Feb 16, 2012
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Jeremiah Genest
Sep 10, 2007 Jeremiah Genest rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
One of the definitive pieces on US Intelligence.
Larry Hunter
Larry Hunter rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2013
J N
J N rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2009
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Jenny Neyland
Jenny Neyland rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2017
Jason Franks
Jason Franks rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2015
Phillip
Phillip rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merging - US Intelligence Community 3 150 Sep 10, 2012 09:40AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: A pretty dry read 1 5 Apr 06, 2012 07:34AM

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »