The US Intelligence Community

The US Intelligence Community

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The role of intelligence in US government operations has changed dramatically and is now more critical than ever to domestic security and foreign policy. This authoritative and highly researched book provides a detailed overview of America’s vast intelligence empire—its organizations, its operations (from spies on the ground to satellites thousands of miles in space), and...more
Published July 26th 2011 by Westview Press (first published 1985)

Chad
So I went on a kick of spy/intelligence books last year, and bought this one as part of it. As it turns out, this book appears to be a textbook for at least a 300 or 400 level government class. It goes into painstaking detail about the names of departments, delineation of responsibilities, history of who merged into what and so on. I wouldn't have bought this book without taking a class that needed it if I hadn't realized, although I did learn a huge amount of detail by reading it.
Mel
I had to read this for a college course. Basically this is a cut and paste of different sources, with absolutely no flow from paragraph to paragraph or original thought. Every time I tried to read it I would be overcome by an overwhelming desire to close my eyes and sleep. I highly recommend this book to insomniacs or people who gather information for research papers by typing in a search string on Google and then copying the first paragraph of everything that Google spits back at them.
Joshua
Not a hard read per se. Lot's of graphs and charts. Probably the worst thing about this book is it's littered with alphabet soup. As a friend pointed out if you want a good book on the IC, Intelligence by Lowenthal is a better read.
Wayne
I have actually read the fourth edition that was written in 1999. I am interested to take a look at this new edition and see what changes are in it since the intelligence community has changed so much since 9/11.
Spencer Willardson
If you want to know the who, what, where, and why of intelligence in the U.S. this is the first place you should start. Richelson is thorough in his description of agencies and their relationships with one another.
Shawn
A concise and nonpolitical primer on US intelligence, useful as a quick desk reference for researchers but only scratches the surface.

www.cryptome.org
www.wikileaks.org
www.governmentattic.org
Barrett  Dylan Brown
A decent, if now outdated, attempt to catagorize and map out the various U.S. Agencies with an investment in Intelligence.
Jeremiah Genest
One of the definitive pieces on US Intelligence.
Nathan
Encyclopedic -- and incredibly boring!
Adam
Dry but informative.
Lee
Awesome information source
Al
Al is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2014
Veeraragavan Nandakumar
Veeraragavan Nandakumar marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Jamshid
Jamshid marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Aungkyaw
Aungkyaw marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2014
Rachel Corey
Rachel Corey marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
James P. Anderson
James P. Anderson marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kelley
Kelley added it
Feb 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Merging - US Intelligence Community 3 148 Sep 10, 2012 09:40AM
A Century of Spies: Intelligence in the Twentieth Century The Wizards Of Langley: Inside The Cia's Directorate Of Science And Technology Defusing Armageddon: Inside NEST, America's Secret Nuclear Bomb Squad Spying on the Bomb: American Nuclear Intelligence from Nazi Germany to Iran and North Korea The Ties That Bind