The Kind of Light That Shines on Texas: Stories

The Kind of Light That Shines on Texas: Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
This collection of short stories, by award-winning author Reginald McKnight, explores the rich and complex experience of the African American middle class, from a small southern classroom to a mythical Africa to suburban streets.
Published August 1st 1996 by Southern Methodist University Press

aggie
Jun 05, 2007 aggie added it
Recommends it for: human beings
Intelligent use of dialect and allegory. But beware: each story in this collection is as much a vortex as is a down comforter on a queen sized bed in a mountaintop lodge - the stories are so engaging that new sentences cannot cross your eyes soon enough and before you realize it, forty minutes have passed, your breathing is back to normal, you've reached the end of the story and you look up and realize the moon's taken over the sky.
Cattii
i liked this book but the plot was to long to work with. if the authour had cut some bits out it would be better. its a good book otherwise however the end is a bit boring.

cattii
Aneesa
First I read the title story, which is great, then I read the first story, which was not worth it, and then I had to return it to the library.
William
I loved this book
Nikita Aitkins
Nikita Aitkins marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Marianne Cerillo
Marianne Cerillo marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Nick Elder
Nick Elder marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Theresa B.
Theresa B. marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
Bob
Bob added it
Mar 12, 2013
Myrriam
Myrriam marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2012
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2012
He Sleeps: A Novel I Get on the Bus White Boys: Stories Moustapha's Eclipse Wisdom Of The African World