Start by marking “The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1)

The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers' Club #1)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,980 ratings  ·  124 reviews
How to tell if a man is an unrepentant rogue:

1. He has no patience for frivolous debutantes
2. He kisses you after a single dance
3. He makes you forget yourself and kiss him back . . .

After years away from London, Captain Bennett Wolfe is back—and alive, much to Society's surprise. Having been presumed dead, this rugged adventurer is now much sought after by every marriage-
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 8th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published October 27th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Care and Taming of a Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Care and Taming of a Rogue

Eastofoz
Nov 30, 2009 Eastofoz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of the in yer face alpha hero
Suzanne Enoch’s latest stand alone is a pretty solid read overall. The hero couldn’t have been better and the heroine is alright for the most part if a little full of herself. The story keeps you turning the pages mostly because of the what’s-he-going-to-do-next attitude of the hero.

The hero, Captain Bennet Wolfe is a big name explorer who was presumed dead but wasn’t really. This is cleared up within the first 5 pages of the novel and thankfully not dragged out. He hates society and its rules b
Beanbag Love
After loving Enoch's "Always a Scoundrel" I was disappointed I didn't like this book more. In an earlier review, Audball mentioned that she didn't like Enoch's anachronistic heroines (correct me if I'm mistaken please, Audball). This isn't a problem for me. I thought Phillipa was pretty much like all of Enoch's heroines and I tend to like most of them pretty well. I actually thought she was pretty amusing sometimes, and the times I didn't get her were the times when I thought the story wasn't fo ...more
Keri
This was a fun read. Captain Bennett Wolfe has just come back from Africa after being gone from England for over 3 years. Funny thing is, is that everybody thought he was dead. Even worse the man that was his second in command is the one that reported him dead and wrote a book about his exploits and made the his own.

Now Bennett must figure out somehow he can gain his reputation back and expose David's lies. In the process he meets sweet Phillipa Eddison...you know the bookish, plain one, not th
Mona
Me ha encantado. Cautivador y con personajes poco convencionales, como me gustan a mi. Además todos actúan acorde con su personalidad (lo menciono porque en muchos libros son del todo incoherentes). Phillipa Eddison no es una heroína, ni una femme fatale, ni una seductora ni nada de eso. Es una rata de biblioteca que no tiene pretendientes. Por eso me ha gustado tanto. Además, es una historia romántica pero que tiene sus dosis de aventuras y emoción. El final es totalmente adictivo y los dos últ ...more
Audrey
I really liked this book and was wavering between giving it 4 or 5 stars. I ultimately went with 4 because some of the plot points dragged in the middle.

***Possible spoilers in this paragraph***I also gave it a 4 and not a 5 because I thought they jumped into intercourse pretty quickly. Personally, I like a little more foreplay or, in the words of our heroine (taken out of context), "steps" between passionate kisses at a ball and doing the deed. Maybe this is partly characterization (in that Be
Juliana
Can't believe I'm saying this about an Enoch book ... but it wasn't that great

Suzanne Enoch is a fabulous writer and some of my absolute favorite historical romances have been written by her, namely London's Perfect Scoundrel and Always a Scoundrel, with close second favorites being England's Perfect Hero, By Love Undone, and After the Kiss. Needless to say, I was ecstatic about this book coming out and expected it to join my "all-time favorite" bookshelf - it won't, and frankly, I'm considering
Erin
I wanted to like this more than I did, and I'm honestly not sure why I didn't like it more. It's your basic historical romance novel--strapping dark roguish adventurer type + sassy brunette book-ish type (always unappreciated by London society!) meet, try to resist each other (well, SHE tries to resist him, he basically pursues her like a jungle cat), fail miserably. The story is somewhat unique in that the hero is an African explorer who's presumed dead and who returns to London finding out his ...more
That's it Suzanne Enoch. I officially wash my hands with you. I gave you a second chance because I really enjoyed Reforming a Rake, inspite of its cringe-inducing cover. But after enduring Meet Me at Midnight, I'm done. This book started off on a good note, and I really liked the relationship between Phillipa and her sister, which is pretty much the only reason I kept reading after things started going down hill. I just don't understand how someone with such a good premise for a book can make su ...more
Kyraryker
The beginning of the book was a little strange and it took me awhile to get into a rhythm of reading the story. But once I was able to get into the book I really did enjoy the beginning. This story and the tone seems different from anything I have read before. (or less dramatically in a while)
Oh my gosh the repertoire between Bennett and Phillipa during the picnic is awesome. I love when she blurts out "I bathe in lemon water." and then Bennett answers back "Do you now. Tasty." Ah, little intera
Pepa
Es un libro entretenido, pero espero mucho más de este autora.
La historia me ha parecido absurda, los personajes muy poco creíbles y ni he visto amor, ni pasión.
De todas formas es tan absurda que resulta original, tiene algunas escenas graciosas.
Pero no pasa de entretenido..

Bueno terminado ya la relectura, poco cambio.
Sigo pensando lo mismo, le falta desarrollo a la parte en la que se enamoran, porque tanto él como ella parecen hacerlo de repente.
Eso sí, me encantan las protagonistas arrojadas
Lita Bouquard
Having read one awful Enoch book and one okay this was the decider whether to continue with this author. An intelligent, socially naive woman admires Bennett Wolf, explorer and favorite to Prinny. Presumed dead, Wolf returns to England to find his reputation tarnished by his travel partner who has claimed Bennett's journals as his own writings. London society isn't sure what to make of Bennett. Is he the brave explorer or was his true character really that in this latest published diary. Bennett ...more
Mey Buentipo
The first book that I read from Suzzane Enoch. I liked the book from the start to the finish. It gave me a sense of adventure for myself also. It is some different from the other books I read. There are witty and smart conversions between the h/h that I loved. It is so funny, that the heroine fainted when the hero gave her 2 dozens of red roses. It maybe a simple story, but I liked the flow of the story and each characters brought the best of it.
Sierra
I know its a cheesy romance but I enjoyed this one. It had an adventurous side along with a respectable heroine. They had an odd couple dynamic that was fun.
Gwyn Plummer
Phillipa, also lovingly known as Flip, is not your typical socialite. She prefers reading over flirting, and museums over soirees, unlike her beautiful and well sought-after older sister, Olivia. When Flip gets the chance to meet an adventurer and author of two of her favorite books, she discovers that his expeditions aren’t the only things about him that arouses her.

Bennette Wolf was presumed dead, but that was not the only shock he got when he returned to London. He was also shocked to learn t
Ann Keller
Excellent historical romance, interwoven with danger and intrigue. Bold, powerful characters are wonderfully meshed with the strict protocols surrounding courting in Victorian England. It's delightful to see just how far each character is willing to give as love inspires them to risk it all for a chance at happiness.
Yossra kerkeb
DNF at 41%.

Reading too many HR can become a bit of a bother, because now that I got use to reading Lisa Kleypas, or Laura Kinsale, everything else seems bland in comparison. There was nothing wrong with this book, which is the main reason I made myself keep reading, however it just didn't captivate me.
Lisa
This book had potential but fell flat. Our hero was just too absurd for my tastes and our heroine...well, I can't remember anything about her so I suppose that says something. I usually enjoy Enoch but was disappointed.
kreekree
I wanted to like this, but in the end everything fell flat for me. I know the "history" in historical romances are to be taken with a grain of salt (and believe me I've rated novels with high marks even without the accurate historical detail), but I guess what I couldn't get past was the fact that everyone was calling each other by first name almost from the moment that they met.

And I do love a novel in which a strong stubborn male goes after the nerdy female, but somehow I feel like I've read
Koki
Bennett nie je typickým hrdinom, ktorých poznáme z historických romancí. Nie je ani zvodca, ani záletník. V žilách mu skôr koluje krv dobrodruha a cestovateľa. Hoci nehľadí na spoločenské pravidlá, etiketa mu je cudzia, a niekedy sa správa ako barbar, pri zoznámení sa s Phillipou sa to všetko mení. Flip ho očarí už na prvý pohľad, ba čo viac, mladá dievčina očarí aj jeho opičku Kero, ktorú si so sebou priviezol z Konga.
Celú recenziu si prečítajte tu: http://kokinakniznica.blogspot.sk/201...
DemetraP
This was a did not finish book for me. The heroine was annoying, "How could a man like you be interested in me?" Then she referred to herself as a "bluestocking" every other sentence. So annoying.

The rest of the plot was how someone stole the hero's work and he had to prove he had written it. So he decides it's a good idea to punch the bad guy in the middle of his own ballroom and pull a knife on him in front of 200 people. I couldn't believe any hero would be so stupid.

Don't waste your time.
Susinok
First of all this was a fun story with quite a few laugh out loud moments. The Note in the daisys was priceless. I loved both characters plue the secondary characters.

However...

There were quite a few historical research blunders which threw me out of the story.

1. Tattersals did not admit women in the Regency period. Sloppy lack of research. Even reading other Regency period novels would have pointed this out.
2. Regency dresses do not shrug off the shoulders to pool at the feet. Also the Regency
Jan
The Enoch up until now I got least sidetracked with. The plot seemed more or less consistent, and it never really dragged.

I still don't think Enoch is the author for me, but overall I liked this book. It was nice and sweet and even funny at times. It never really went beyond all that to anything remotely nearing depth, but it was nice. I don't think nice is enough for much longer though, I'd like to read a romance with some meat on, or a romance on the light side that's actually GOOD.

I liked Ben
Miss Lily
Kudos to Ms. Enoch; there were fun and different things in The Care and Taming of a Rogue and I enjoyed the banter between the characters. I've read a lot of Regency romances, and to give one four stars is high praise, from me. The characters' personalities were actually fun and likable, and some of the interactions between them (our heroine and her older sister, for instance), were believable. I've liked others of Ms. Enoch's books more in comparison, I'm not going to say this was my favorite, ...more
Amy Gideon
I liked the main characters and the chemistry between them was believable. I really liked Phillipa (Flip) - serious and clever without being boring or a know it all. Bennett isn't a typical Regency hero which I liked. He's brash, unkempt and everything an adventurer should be. The adventurer part was fascinating and unique - not a typical Regency Romance. I also liked that he was "mother" to a monkey.

I was annoyed on Bennett's behalf for his stolen journals and ruined reputation. I wanted him to
Petra Sýkorová
Suzanne Enoch se narodila někdy během druhé poloviny 20. století v jižní Kalifornii (přesné datum úzkostlivě tají). Jak už to tak bývá, zatímco ostatní chtějí být v dětství astronauty nebo hudebníky, Suzanne si přála být spisovatelkou.

Původně chtěla psát o svých dechberoucích dobrodružstvích v rámci své vášně pro zoologii, ale její představy byly krutě umlčeny ve chvíli, kdy v televizi viděla dokument o největším hadovi na světě - rozhodně nechtěla psát o tom, jak ji uštkla smrtelná kobra a muse
Claudia
this book is difficult to review because in the end I was slightly disappointed in it because it seemed lifeless. I was really looking forward to read another book by Suzanne Enoch, but this was nothing like the previous books (Lessons in Love) I read.

we have two complicated characters - one gentleman who does not really care what other people say and is more than rude at the beginning, and I really got annoyed with him because he was a hot-head and lost all rational thought.
and a lady who says
Ruth
I read The Lady's Guide to Improper Behaviour first not realizing it was part of a series. I prefer reading books in series (if it was preconceived as a series why not call it one, like The Adventurers or something?) although it didn't really prevent my enjoyment of it.

This book starts a little slowly. The first chapter or so seemed rather disjointed, with a couple of scenes where it wasn't clear who was talking to whom, nor which characters were present, and it didn't really settle down until
Lisa
This is yet another delightful historical romance from a new to me author. This is the first book in Ms Enochs Adventurers' Club series, and I am glad that the next two books, A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior and Rules of an Engagement, are already out so I can dive right into them!

This book follows the adventurer Captain Bennett Wolfe and Phillipa aka Flip. Bennett returns to London after being presumed dead from his fellow co adventurer Langley. Needless to say, when Bennett arrives at his
Lexie
When writing this review, there were several factors that needed to be sorted out first for this to work. One was how the male lead came off; second was how the female lead came off; and lastly, how it all wrapped up in the end. Individually there would normally be problems, but together, all the details seem to work.

Bennett Wolfe, the male lead, has almost no polish at all. He has spent almost all of the last decade and more traveling around and living in rough circumstances. What little use he
Caroline
Having enjoyed two or three other books by Suzanne Enoch, this one came as a let-down.

A publisher's blurb attracted me to the second volume in the Adventurers' Club trilogy (because of its Anglo-Indian connection) so I decided to start with Volume One, just in case the two were linked. They weren't. Within the first few pages it became clear that each book in the trilogy picks on one member of the club and follows his adventures, romantic and otherwise.

The Care and Taming of a Rogue is well writ
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
  • In Pursuit of a Scandalous Lady (Scandalous Lady, #1)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To Series #1)
  • The Truth About Lord Stoneville (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #1)
  • Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1)
  • Three Nights of Sin
  • The Spy (Liar's Club #3)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • Secrets of a Proper Lady (Last Man Standing, #3)
  • The Seduction of an English Scoundrel (Boscastle, #1)
  • All Night with a Rogue (Lords of Vice, #1)
  • Sleepless at Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • When Harry Met Molly (Impossible Bachelors, #1)
  • To Sin With a Scoundrel (Circle of Sin, #1)
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po ...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...

Adventurers' Club (3 books)
  • A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club #2)
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)
London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2) The Rake (Lessons in Love, #1) England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3) Sin and Sensibility (Griffin Family, #1) Flirting With Danger (Samantha Jellicoe, #1)

“Don’t cry,nyonda ,” he murmured.
Phillipa took a deep breath. “What does that mean, anyway?Nyonda ?”
His green gaze held hers. “It’s Swahili. It means ‘beloved.’” A small smile touched his mouth, and he
brushed her cheek again. “You do know I love you, Phillipa. To an alarming degree.”
3 likes
“Phillipa, my heart, my blood, my everything,
will you for God’s and my sake marry me?”
3 likes