Start by marking “Molto presto di mattina” as Want to Read:
Molto presto di mattina

Molto presto di mattina

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In England and America Dylan Thomas made his art and personality widely known through public readings, radio broadcasts and recordings. Many of the 25 short stories, autobiographical sketches and essays in Quite Early One Morning, a volume planned by Thomas shortly before his death, were read by him on such occasions. They are alive with his verbal magic, his intense perce ...more
Hardcover, i coralli 199, 180 pages
Published 1964 by Einaudi (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Molto presto di mattina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molto presto di mattina

Matthew DeCostanza
Aug 01, 2010 Matthew DeCostanza rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles
Astounding. The sort of book that follows you around, occupying space in your head as you steal glances at it lying on your living room table, seductively wishing to be read over and over. The prose pieces are fluid and smooth, expressing very much with very little. The essays, while they paint Thomas as rather snobbish, are highly persuasive, leaving one with the desire to become a snide commentator of false art, just as he is.

Some highlights include the collection's namesake, a brief account o
Craig Barner
Dylan Thomas was a word drunk before he was a beverage drunk. His superb verbosity is a delight to read. Moderns are obsessed with succinctness, spareness and the less-is-more philosophy. Dylan Thomas would have nothing to do with such silliness as it applied to his writing. And the succinctness-is-all attitude can be silliness. Poetry and the prose of a poet should be an overflowing of passion. His love of words is evident throughout "Quite Early One Morning." I was hooked on the work's first s ...more
Jan
Mar 06, 2013 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an ear
Shelves: memoir
A mash-up of autobiographical short stories, radio broadcasts and lectures: a collection of short prose pieces with much poetry quoted (as well as poetical prose) by a literary and linguistic giant. Loved it when he referred to "the bilingual sea" off the Welsh coast.
Mason Barlo
'A silent hullabaloo of balloons.'

Joanna Lee
I'm just going to highlight some really nice quotes from the book (some parts of poems, and some parts of his prose):

"...the shape of another country lies so near,
the wind on Dover Cliffs could touch it with its finger.

And from this island-end, white-faced over the shifting sea-dyes,
a man may hear his country's body talking, and be caught
in the weathers of her eyes." --Our Country

"You cannot generalize about age and poetry. A man's poems, if they are good poems, are always older than himself; a
Vicky
Was quite excited for the rest of this book after I finished the first story and saw that the table of contents promised essays about reading one's own poems, how to write poetry, on poetry and etc, but then between the first and second sections, I lost interest from how often Dylan Thomas feels like he needs to play with a phrase to make it interesting or something—

"And of what has gone I know only shilly-shally snatches and freckled plaids, flecks and dabs, dazzle and froth; a simple second ca
Don
Nothing could be more unfashionable to contemporary writing style than all these ebullient, alliterative, inventive, cascading adjectives. The first half is a collection of short character pieces. I can read this part again and again. The second half is poetry criticism.
Web Ruble
There is no writer like Dylan Thomas. His lyric prose are as good as his poetry. Not only does his stuff show the richness of the soul of Wales, but it stirs the souls of the Irish, British, and even us Americans.
Riley
I was surprised, but Dylan Thomas didn't do it for me here. Maybe he's too word happy or too sentimental. One caveat...I've never been able to read poetry and Thomas obviously was a poet.
Robert
Mar 16, 2009 Robert is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
rereading again and again and again... thomas is my constant influence to the beauty of language
Dan Siney
The story "The Enemies," is one of my favorite things in the world.
Ottoleo
probably writes more clearly than he thinks
trevor
Good thus far. I'm about half-way through.
Rêve
Rêve marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
LauraJ
LauraJ marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Chris Van der Heijden
Chris Van der Heijden marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Cherie Bartlett
Cherie Bartlett marked it as to-read
Veena
Veena marked it as to-read
Lisa
Lisa is currently reading it
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
AC
AC marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Doctor Chapman
Doctor Chapman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Zoe
Zoe marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Andrew Dietz
Andrew Dietz is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Oct 17, 2014
Nan Byrne
Nan Byrne marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
  • Poemas
  • Escapes
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Almost Invisible: Poems
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subtle Welsh lilt, became
More about Dylan Thomas...
Collected Poems Under Milk Wood A Child's Christmas in Wales Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog Adventures in the Skin Trade