Start by marking “Molto presto di mattina” as Want to Read:
Molto presto di mattina

Molto presto di mattina

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  352 ratings  ·  13 reviews
In England and America Dylan Thomas made his art and personality widely known through public readings, radio broadcasts and recordings. Many of the 25 short stories, autobiographical sketches and essays in Quite Early One Morning, a volume planned by Thomas shortly before his death, were read by him on such occasions. They are alive with his verbal magic, his intense perce ...more
Hardcover, i coralli 199, 180 pages
Published 1964 by Einaudi (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Molto presto di mattina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molto presto di mattina

Matthew DeCostanza
Aug 01, 2010 Matthew DeCostanza rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles
Astounding. The sort of book that follows you around, occupying space in your head as you steal glances at it lying on your living room table, seductively wishing to be read over and over. The prose pieces are fluid and smooth, expressing very much with very little. The essays, while they paint Thomas as rather snobbish, are highly persuasive, leaving one with the desire to become a snide commentator of false art, just as he is.

Some highlights include the collection's namesake, a brief account o
Craig Barner
Dylan Thomas was a word drunk before he was a beverage drunk. His superb verbosity is a delight to read. Moderns are obsessed with succinctness, spareness and the less-is-more philosophy. Dylan Thomas would have nothing to do with such silliness as it applied to his writing. And the succinctness-is-all attitude can be silliness. Poetry and the prose of a poet should be an overflowing of passion. His love of words is evident throughout "Quite Early One Morning." I was hooked on the work's first s ...more
Jan
Mar 06, 2013 Jan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an ear
Shelves: memoir
A mash-up of autobiographical short stories, radio broadcasts and lectures: a collection of short prose pieces with much poetry quoted (as well as poetical prose) by a literary and linguistic giant. Loved it when he referred to "the bilingual sea" off the Welsh coast.
Mason Barlo
'A silent hullabaloo of balloons.'

Joanna Lee
I'm just going to highlight some really nice quotes from the book (some parts of poems, and some parts of his prose):

"...the shape of another country lies so near,
the wind on Dover Cliffs could touch it with its finger.

And from this island-end, white-faced over the shifting sea-dyes,
a man may hear his country's body talking, and be caught
in the weathers of her eyes." --Our Country

"You cannot generalize about age and poetry. A man's poems, if they are good poems, are always older than himself; a
Vicky
Was quite excited for the rest of this book after I finished the first story and saw that the table of contents promised essays about reading one's own poems, how to write poetry, on poetry and etc, but then between the first and second sections, I lost interest from how often Dylan Thomas feels like he needs to play with a phrase to make it interesting or something—

"And of what has gone I know only shilly-shally snatches and freckled plaids, flecks and dabs, dazzle and froth; a simple second ca
Don
Nothing could be more unfashionable to contemporary writing style than all these ebullient, alliterative, inventive, cascading adjectives. The first half is a collection of short character pieces. I can read this part again and again. The second half is poetry criticism.
Web Ruble
There is no writer like Dylan Thomas. His lyric prose are as good as his poetry. Not only does his stuff show the richness of the soul of Wales, but it stirs the souls of the Irish, British, and even us Americans.
Riley
I was surprised, but Dylan Thomas didn't do it for me here. Maybe he's too word happy or too sentimental. One caveat...I've never been able to read poetry and Thomas obviously was a poet.
Robert
Mar 16, 2009 Robert is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
rereading again and again and again... thomas is my constant influence to the beauty of language
Dan Siney
The story "The Enemies," is one of my favorite things in the world.
Ottoleo
probably writes more clearly than he thinks
trevor
Good thus far. I'm about half-way through.
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Megan
Megan added it
Mar 28, 2015
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Josephine K.
Josephine K. marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Cara
Cara is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Paul Byrne
Paul Byrne marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
David Gleichauf
David Gleichauf marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Wert
Wert marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Honour
Honour marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Geta
Geta marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
David Loos
David Loos is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
  • Less Than One: Selected Essays
  • Poemas
  • The Essays of Leonard Michaels
  • Tutte le poesie
  • Behind the Palace Doors: Five Centuries of Sex, Adventure, Vice, Treachery, and Folly from Royal Britain
  • News of the World
  • Red Cavalry and Other Stories
  • A Shropshire Lad
  • Almost Invisible: Poems
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subtle Welsh lilt, became
More about Dylan Thomas...
Collected Poems Under Milk Wood A Child's Christmas in Wales Portrait of the Artist as a Young Dog The Poems of Dylan Thomas