Start by marking “Molto presto di mattina” as Want to Read:
Molto presto di mattina

Molto presto di mattina

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  401 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
In England and America Dylan Thomas made his art and personality widely known through public readings, radio broadcasts and recordings. Many of the 25 short stories, autobiographical sketches and essays in Quite Early One Morning, a volume planned by Thomas shortly before his death, were read by him on such occasions. They are alive with his verbal magic, his intense perce ...more
Hardcover, i coralli 199, 180 pages
Published 1964 by Einaudi (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Molto presto di mattina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molto presto di mattina

Matthew DeCostanza
Aug 01, 2010 Matthew DeCostanza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bibliophiles
Astounding. The sort of book that follows you around, occupying space in your head as you steal glances at it lying on your living room table, seductively wishing to be read over and over. The prose pieces are fluid and smooth, expressing very much with very little. The essays, while they paint Thomas as rather snobbish, are highly persuasive, leaving one with the desire to become a snide commentator of false art, just as he is.

Some highlights include the collection's namesake, a brief account o
Joanna Lee
I'm just going to highlight some really nice quotes from the book (some parts of poems, and some parts of his prose):

"...the shape of another country lies so near,
the wind on Dover Cliffs could touch it with its finger.

And from this island-end, white-faced over the shifting sea-dyes,
a man may hear his country's body talking, and be caught
in the weathers of her eyes." --Our Country

"You cannot generalize about age and poetry. A man's poems, if they are good poems, are always older than himself; a
Nancy Oyula
Jul 22, 2016 Nancy Oyula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allow me say how I enjoyed reading the poem "Hunchback in the park". I could picture the old man in my mind. Him sitting on a bench in a park I imagined, with his back facing me (Or rather Dylan Thomas). Everyday. I loved the author's lines. His childhood memories, trip to America, and his view on Welsh Poets is what stood out for me in the book.
This is a nice pick for lovers of poetry. I loved the arrangement of the text and style of writing. I’d recommend it to anyone, not just poetry lovers.
Craig Barner
Dylan Thomas was a word drunk before he was a beverage drunk. His superb verbosity is a delight to read. Moderns are obsessed with succinctness, spareness and the less-is-more philosophy. Dylan Thomas would have nothing to do with such silliness as it applied to his writing. And the succinctness-is-all attitude can be silliness. Poetry and the prose of a poet should be an overflowing of passion. His love of words is evident throughout "Quite Early One Morning." I was hooked on the work's first s ...more
Jan
Mar 06, 2013 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with an ear
Shelves: memoir
A mash-up of autobiographical short stories, radio broadcasts and lectures: a collection of short prose pieces with much poetry quoted (as well as poetical prose) by a literary and linguistic giant. Loved it when he referred to "the bilingual sea" off the Welsh coast.
Mason Barlow
Dec 24, 2014 Mason Barlow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'A silent hullabaloo of balloons.'

Vicky
Was quite excited for the rest of this book after I finished the first story and saw that the table of contents promised essays about reading one's own poems, how to write poetry, on poetry and etc, but then between the first and second sections, I lost interest from how often Dylan Thomas feels like he needs to play with a phrase to make it interesting or something—

"And of what has gone I know only shilly-shally snatches and freckled plaids, flecks and dabs, dazzle and froth; a simple second ca
Don
Jul 23, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Nothing could be more unfashionable to contemporary writing style than all these ebullient, alliterative, inventive, cascading adjectives. The first half is a collection of short character pieces. I can read this part again and again. The second half is poetry criticism.
Web Ruble
Jul 02, 2009 Web Ruble rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no writer like Dylan Thomas. His lyric prose are as good as his poetry. Not only does his stuff show the richness of the soul of Wales, but it stirs the souls of the Irish, British, and even us Americans.
Riley
Apr 24, 2010 Riley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised, but Dylan Thomas didn't do it for me here. Maybe he's too word happy or too sentimental. One caveat...I've never been able to read poetry and Thomas obviously was a poet.
Robert
Mar 16, 2009 Robert is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
rereading again and again and again... thomas is my constant influence to the beauty of language
Dan Siney
Mar 07, 2010 Dan Siney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story "The Enemies," is one of my favorite things in the world.
Ottoleo
Sep 22, 2010 Ottoleo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
probably writes more clearly than he thinks
trevor
Jan 11, 2008 trevor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good thus far. I'm about half-way through.
Teresita Doebley
He was quite brilliant.
Mark Mendoza
Mark Mendoza marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Melissa Charbonneau
Melissa Charbonneau rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Kate Anaïs
Kate Anaïs marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Liana
Liana is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2016
Andrea Marty
Andrea Marty marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Alessandra
Alessandra rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2016
Sharayu Gangurde
Sharayu Gangurde marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
W.T.Hull
W.T.Hull marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Danielle
Danielle rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Christel Thomsen
Christel Thomsen marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Lyndon Lennon
Lyndon Lennon marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
  • Odes to Opposites
  • Nonrequired Reading
  • When One Has Lived a Long Time Alone
  • The Snow Queen
  • Behind the Palace Doors: Five Centuries of Sex, Adventure, Vice, Treachery, and Folly from Royal Britain
  • The Sacred Wood
  • Alive Together
  • Poemas
  • Winter Hours: Prose, Prose Poems, and Poems
  • The Abstract Wild
Dylan Marlais Thomas was a Welsh poet who wrote in English. He is regarded by many as one of the 20th century's most influential poets.

In addition to poetry, Thomas also wrote short stories and scripts for film and radio, with the latter frequently performed by Thomas himself. His public readings, particularly in America, won him great acclaim; his booming, at times ostentatious, voice with a subt
More about Dylan Thomas...