Start by marking “Babies & Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have Around the Home” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  847 ratings  ·  35 reviews

Barry exposes natural childbirth as a pop phenomenon of the 1960s that, alongwith bell-bottoms and sideburns, deserves a rest.

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published February 1st 1993 by Phoenix Books, Inc (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Babies & Other Hazards of Sex, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babies & Other Hazards of Sex

Sean Halpin
A must read for anyone considering having children.
Jessica
Love my Dave Barry. I think I read every book he ever published, though some before I started keeping my book journal. Warning, reading Dave Barry at a music concert in a nice Princeton recital hall comes with the danger of audibly snorting and disturbing those around you. I was a multi-tasking child, and well prepared for my future college job as a stage manager at the School of Music during which I would sit backstage and again read books instead of paying attention to the music.
Kristin
This book is hysterical, and it's because it's exaggerated truth. Anyone who has or works with kids knows how dead on Dave Barry is in this book. My favorite was when he explained how to keep children from eating disgusting things they pick up off the floor. (Lure them away with something even more disgusting.)
Jane Stewart
I smiled a lot!

This is a short piece, 1 hours. I’ve heard these things before, but it’s fun to hear Dave’s take. Example: a baby’s purpose in life is filling diapers and putting disgusting things in his mouth.

Audiobook narrator Arte Johnson was good.

DATA:
Unabridged audiobook length: 1 hrs and 34 mins. Swearing language: I don’t recall any. Sexual content: none, other than jokes about sperm and eggs. Book copyright: 1984. Genre: humorous essays.
Tim
I devoured all of Dave Barry's stuff in high school and college, but I haven't read him in years. Now that I have a baby of my own, I remembered a lot of his jokes about babies from 30 years ago. So I reread the book, which is still pretty good. (Although not quite as hilarious as I remember.)
Tim Williams
Not bad. I don't read this type of book hardly ever but the title pulled me in and I have had friends who just loved his humor. Its funny but not over the top. For me it got old around the middle.
Maria Dudley
Read this a long time ago, but I loved it and all of Dave Barry's books.
Don't judge me. I needed to laugh and do the opposite of thinking :)
Bobbi Weiss
I don't have kids, myself. But this told me all I need to know!!
Liz
This book is hilarious. Dave Barry manages to narrate the first three years of raising a child without being offensive to virtually any parenting style or birthing preference, which is a tricky tightrope to walk. I laughed out loud a LOT. An easy, quick read.
Millerbug
It was a cute read. Although, I'm way past having more children (closer to grandparenthood... and I'm hoping that is in the distant future) But I did get a kick out of a lot senerios in this book.
Anna
My parents were given this book as a gift while pregnant with me. It will always be dear to my heart.

You must read this for a laugh or two. Then you should go bowling.
Katie
This was written in the 80s/early 90s, so the information is a little dated. But, birthing/parenting hasn't really changed that much, so it's still pretty funny.
Julie
Had to pull over and stop the car because hubby and I were laughing sooooo hard! A MUST read for anyone who is pregnant!!!!
Matt
Read it as part of the book Dave Barry's Guide to Life.

While parts were funny, it was too crude for my tastes.
Shelley
An outrageously funny account of the shocking nature of first time parenthood. Take it to your next baby shower.
Gina Mora

Hilarious, but you might not want to read it until your child is 3 and you can see the humor in it.
Marlena
Apr 05, 2010 Marlena marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
No babies here yet. Just thought this looked funny and wanted to remember to check out at BN sometime.
ASA
Dave Barry is really funny and this is a good book for anyone who plans to have or has ever had a baby.
Liz
Man, I love this author. This book is absolutely hilarious. I want to read some of his others.
Jim
Before children: This book is kinda dopey, not really funny. After children: It's hilarious.
Stephen Snyder
Very Humorous!!! Excellent book. Thank you Franklin Public Library for the loan.
Heather
there was a few funny parts. not as many as I expected.
Daniel
Dave Barry is always entertaining and a quick read.
Jean Doolittle
Funny book--in this case, painfully funny!
Julie
Hilarious, a must read for all expectant parents.
Ashley
Cute articles, poor sound quality
Kathleen
Cassettes. Listened With The Kids.
Huma Rashid
Standard Dave Barry fare. :D
  • When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home
  • Don't Stand Too Close to a Naked Man
  • Another Day in Cubicle Paradise
  • No Shirt, No Shoes...No Problem!
  • Scrum Bums: A Get Fuzzy Collection
  • Car Fever: Dispatches From Behind The Wheel
  • The Unbeheaded King (The Reluctant King, #3)
  • Cows of Our Planet
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd
  • Anguished English: An Anthology of Accidental Assaults Upon Our Language
  • The Return of the Lone Iguana: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Ranting Again
Dave Barry is a humor columnist. For 25 years he was a syndicated columnist whose work appeared in more than 500 newspapers in the United States and abroad. In 1988 he won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary. Many people are still trying to figure out how this happened.
Dave has also written a total of 30 books, although virtually none of them contain useful information. Two of his books were used as
More about Dave Barry...
Peter and the Starcatchers (Peter and the Starcatchers, #1) Peter and the Shadow Thieves (Peter and the Starcatchers, #2) Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (Peter and the Starcatchers, #3) Big Trouble Peter and the Sword of Mercy (Peter and the Starcatchers, #4)

“Babies and Other Hazards of Sex: How to Make a Tiny Person in Only 9 Months, with Tools You Probably Have around the Home.” 22 likes