Start by marking “A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves” as Want to Read:
A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves

A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Just a few of the vitally important lessons in caring for your aging parent—and yourself—from Jane Gross in A Bittersweet Season

As painful as the role reversal between parent and child may be for you, assume it is worse for your mother or father, so take care not to demean or humiliate them.
Avoid hospitals and emergency rooms, as well as multiple relocations from home to a...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about A Bittersweet Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Bittersweet Season

Noreen
I decided to read this after spending two weeks with my 86-year-old mother this past December and noticing a shocking increase in her cognitive impairment. I'm afraid I was short with her a number of times and I feel guilty about it. I searched the net on the subject of being more patient and compassionate with elderly loved ones and found The New Old Age Blog on the New York Times website, written by Jane Gross and two other reporters. I shopped for books and this one seemed perfect. I remember...more
Jessica
Part memoir, part advice, Jane tells the story of her mum's slow decline and what she learned from it. She discusses funding (Medicare v. Medicaid) and the maze of trying to get her mum's care covered. She discusses the stigma of going "on welfare" and how in the end, Medicaid didn't really pay for very much after all. She discusses how to plan for and cope with an elderly patient's needs, though her advice is definitely from her own experience of someone fairly well off. The most validating (th...more
Martha Rogers
I learned a lot from this.
Marisa
Grim, extremely well-researched, well-written, and overwhelming.
Ann-Marie
This is a well-written, moving, and useful book. It's also grim. One memorable quote, reportedly spoken by the author's mother, goes something like this: "Your reward for living to old age is that you rot to death." That is, die slowly, with a gradual and humiliating loss of function. The author, who is a former reporter for the NY Times, argues strongly that this is the norm for most people who live to be that age, and our healthcare system is not set up to deal with it.

Amanda
Excellent. I learned so much from this book that I wish my family had known several years ago. I've bought an extra copy to share with others.
Jessica Bang
4.5 stars to be exact.

It's an informative and insightful book. You should definitely read it if you are in need of knowledge pertaining to caring for the elderly in the United States (especially in New York City). There is an abundance of information here that I will surely recommend to many for reference.
Barbara
Excellent book. Much food for thought for anyone whois providing care to a loved one. Also, for ourselves as we age. I have been recommending this book to friends and acquaintances. Not a how-to book but raises points to be conscious of when serving as an advocate for someone.
Judy Baumgarten
Probably not a "book club" book, but a wonderful road map for navigating the issues of caring for an aging parent. A must read. (Just read the "description" listed here of the book -- pretty simplistic. The book is actually better than this description, in my opinion!)
Part how-to, part memoir, this is a must-read for anyone helping to care for an aging parent. I felt less alone, like I had a wise friend who had been down this road and could offer some advice.
Ray
Well written informative memoir with good tips for adult children with elderly parents, written by a loving, caring daughter.
Lori
A very informative and touching book about a subject that we don't talk about unless we are in the middle of it. Thanks, Barb :)
Ann
Really, really helpful.
Linda
I found this book informative and insightful. I will take a lot away for future reference.
Patti Siegel
Patti Siegel marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Sheila Quirk
Sheila Quirk is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Laura Goone
Laura Goone marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Lore
Lore is currently reading it
Jul 30, 2014
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Barb Fatino
Barb Fatino is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2014
Ok Hwa
Ok Hwa added it
Jun 23, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves a bittersweet season:Caring for our Aging Parents and Ourselves Bittersweet Season, A: Caring for Our Aging Parents--And Ourselves A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents---And Ourselves