Start by marking “Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents” as Want to Read:
Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents

Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  260 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
Discover the gentle art of Infant Massage...

In this completely updated version of her renowned classic, Vimala McClure, founder of the International Association of Infant Massage, and its premier proponent in the United States, helps you master the techniques of infant massage so you can incorporate this joyful and wonderful healing art into your baby's life. She shows you
Paperback, Revised, 272 pages
Published October 31st 2000 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Infant Massage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infant Massage

Scarlett
Jun 28, 2011 Scarlett rated it really liked it
This book has some really beautiful ideas about how massage can help babies and parents and it clearly outlines safe and effective techniques for infant massage. The author also articulates some wonderful thoughts on what it means to be valued and respected and how to translate those feelings to your baby through massage. The one gripe I have with this book is that it talks to a specific type of parent even though it is said a few times that infant massage can be a great part of your routine no ...more
MaryKay Keller
Sep 22, 2014 MaryKay Keller rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book!!! Well who doesn't like a massage to relax. It is a no brainer that massaging babies will be beneficial to the baby, but how about to the parent as well. As an author, a researcher and an educator I can not emphasize the importance of reading Vimala's book. It provides a succinct yet comprehensive description of the importance of massaging babies. I kept her book as a ready reference for my own research on Fathering. I researched fathers experiences massaging their babies and ...more
Ash
Apr 12, 2016 Ash rated it it was ok
Not a very useful book. It is difficult to massage looking at the book as you won't understand half of the strokes. Better to watch a video than read about it. But if you have no idea why massaging is needed for babies or you have no idea about massaging at all, then pick this book. My mom already knew how to massage and I learnt it from her, so I hardly referred to this book.
Jul 23, 2015 Sarah rated it liked it
Overall a good book. The author describes how and why you would want to massage your infant, and describes how to do so with helpful pictures. I read this for a continuing education course for my massage license. The massage techniques themselves are easy, and are aimed at parents, with simple explanations and alterations for different situations.
The author also talks about how massage can fit into an infants early experiences and create bonding, better sleep, better mood (for baby and parent).
Myridian
Apr 06, 2011 Myridian rated it really liked it
Shelves: parenting
This book is by the initial proponent of infant massage in the US. She walks through her theories behind infant massage and then presents a system of massage you can use on your own child. I very much like the idea of using massage with my baby and am familiar with some of the literature on the benefits of touch on stress hormone levels and development.

One thing I disagreed with was how McClure discussed the idea of adults' inner infants and that this may impact how they treat their babies. I d
Bethany
Mar 21, 2011 Bethany rated it really liked it
Shelves: massage, about-kids
I love that, right off the bat, Vimala McClure delves into the "Why's" and benefits of Infant Massage. So many new parents are afraid of "spoiling" their children that they're reluctant to hold them for any length of time. This book is an excellent resource for refuting this ridiculous belief.

From a massage therapy student's point of view, the actual techniques are very basic and familiar -- just condensed and miniaturized. The descriptions are easy for non-therapists to follow; no jargon here!

T
Richard
Jun 19, 2014 Richard rated it liked it
Its a little hard to follow the techniques. Better as a video I imagine.
Still there's some nice chat at the start and it seems like a fun way to interact with the little guy so i'll probably give it a go.
Jul 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2012-reads
A very quick and easy read that outlines the importance of touch. The sense of touch is developed at 7 weeks gestation and is an important aspect of continued development. Vimala brings together Indian Massage, Sweedish Massage, Yoga, and reflexology to provide parents and infants a beneficial and healthy relationship. Vimala explains, with pictures, each stroke and provides explanation for modifications due to disabilities, temperament, and age.

As a recently trained, in Vimala's theory, Infant
Charissa
Nov 11, 2015 Charissa rated it really liked it
A lovely little book and a wonderful tool for caring for our babies and beyond in loving, compassionate ways.
E.v. Sage
Feb 23, 2015 E.v. Sage rated it it was amazing
Informative and encouraging, this book is all about facilitating bonding between baby and parent. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has a baby, especially those who experienced medical problems or were adopted.
Mimi
Jul 20, 2008 Mimi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book twice. Once with William and again with Evey. I am the kind of mom that sticks the kid in the sling and does 7 other things at once all day. This helped me to turn a diaper change into a prolonged massage session/ real mommy-baby time. I could tell it helped William at night to calm down and Evey's tummy to relax (I still do it with her sometimes).
I use coconut butter and they both responded with smiles when I started to warm up the oil in my hands by rubbing them together fast
Becky
Oct 02, 2007 Becky rated it really liked it
Shelves:
I didn't read any other infant massage books, so I have nothing to compare this one to, but I found this book easy to understand and I was able to get started quickly. I'm a massage novice with no aspirations of becoming a massage professional. I just wanted to be able to massage my baby, but I needed a book to give me some confidence and guidance. This book accomplished that for me.

Let me also say that massaging a baby is fun and relaxing (as long as there is no crying). And what can convey lov
Jun 05, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
Good information. She makes me want to find the time to use this.
Jen Bury
Apr 13, 2011 Jen Bury rated it really liked it
I enjoyed learning how to bond with and sooth my baby. There were some things in the book that I don't use, and some things that are a little hokey for me too. But all in all I found it to be a useful and beneficial read. I think touch is a wonderful way to heal or release tension. Just think how good a massage feels for adults, then think about all the ways babies are learning to use and develop their muscles. Not only was our nightly routine relaxing and enjoyable, it released tension and the ...more
Hilary
Apr 21, 2014 Hilary rated it it was amazing
Really good instructional book that also has interesting facts about infant massage and its benefits. I got the book as part of an infant massage class I took, but I think the pictures in the book are good enough that you could learn the technique from the book alone. Also has sections on massage for specific problems -we have used the routine for gas and the facial massage for nasal congestion and I think both helped. My little guy certainly seems to enjoy his massages, so that is enough for me ...more
Apr 29, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and think it's a great resource. There are tons of photos and great descriptions of all the techniques. I loved that she addressed bring calm and peace to your relationship with your baby and that crying is sometimes a good release for your baby (and the only way they can communicate. I also liked that she talked about using massage to relieve different illnesses (fever, cough, congestion, etc.). I think this would be a great read for all expecting/new parents.
Sep 19, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always thought that infant massage was simple. And it is, but the illustrations and recommended strokes are helpful to start. In particular, I appreciated the recommendations for premature infants and children with physical disabilities.

The author does express some outdated and, to me, offensive opinions about infant daycare (and I'm not even a parent) in the early chapters. Feel free to skip that and get right into the hands-on chapters.
Kristin B.
Dec 08, 2008 Kristin B. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: New Parents
Shelves: parenting
A great book for parents looking to connect and build a relationship with their baby in an intuitive way. More and more studies are showing that skin-to-skin contact helps a babies overall development including: physically, mental and emotional. I like this book because it gives great background about infant massage as well as full techniques with pictures. So glad I came across this book!
Sep 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I thought this gave a good background and basis for why to do infant massage. A neighbor lent me this book and it was a quick and informative read. The instructions and photos really make it clear what to do, and I was able to start practicing right away. It's a good reference to have.
Elizabeth Merchant
Oct 19, 2014 Elizabeth Merchant rated it liked it
Shelves: our-library
This is as good as an infant massage book can be if it has only low-quality black & white photos in the way of visual instruction. The text is concise, yet moving and persuasive.
Vickie
Feb 01, 2009 Vickie rated it really liked it
Very informative. I definitely am interested in infant massage (I never was before reading this). The pictures aren't very helpful though. I really want a little instruction in person on how to do some of the massages.
Andrea
Sep 05, 2009 Andrea rated it really liked it
Andrea's review: if you have a colicy baby, or one who needs soothing routine, this is the book for you. Helped us get our very colicy/refluxy baby to bed peacefully every night. What a lifesaver.
Carol
Mar 10, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
I haven't had the opportunity to apply any techniques I learned yet but felt the book was very informative. Descriptions and photographs were good and just in general I agreed with her philosophy.
Alaine
Oct 02, 2013 Alaine rated it really liked it
Read this for my class on infant massage. Going to buy a copy for myself now. This would be a great present to give to a exspectant parent. Some parenting advice mixed in with with the course.
Joanna Vaught
Sep 04, 2007 Joanna Vaught rated it really liked it
really, i skipped everything but the routine and the massage strokes, because i didn't need to read 200 pages on why massage is beneficial. i went to massage school, i am WELL AWARE.
Amber
Oct 14, 2008 Amber rated it really liked it
It is what it is. I learned some things from it. I didn't read it cover to cover. The idea of massaging babies is fabulous if you apply it. It can really help some babies.
Nicol
Dec 22, 2009 Nicol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I took an infant massage class when Olivia was only a few months old. I loved taking the time each day to bond with her through touch. I am excited to do this again with Lucy!
Amron
Jun 04, 2009 Amron rated it it was amazing
Baby massage is more than rubbing your baby's arms or legs for a second. This book lays it down in detail for any parent. Its incredible rewarding and valuable.
Erin
Mar 04, 2010 Erin rated it liked it
The BEST THING about this book is how she draws a line from lack of massage in infancy to children growing up to be sociopaths. LOL Vimala!
Elizabeth
Mar 14, 2008 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I think every parent should learn how to massage their infant. It's a great way to bond, calm them, and help with intestinal issues.
  • Nighttime Parenting (Revised): How to Get Your Baby and Child to Sleep
  • The Nursing Mother's Companion
  • Three in a Bed: The Benefits of Sleeping with Your Baby
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Magical Child
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • So That's What They're For!: The Definitive Breastfeeding Guide
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Attachment Parenting: Instinctive Care for Your Baby and Young Child
  • Touching: The Human Significance of the Skin
  • What Mothers Do: especially when it looks like nothing
  • On Mother's Lap
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding