Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents

Infant Massage: A Handbook for Loving Parents

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Discover the gentle art of Infant Massage...

In this completely updated version of her renowned classic, Vimala McClure, founder of the International Association of Infant Massage, and its premier proponent in the United States, helps you master the techniques of infant massage so you can incorporate this joyful and wonderful healing art into your baby's life. She shows you...more
Paperback, Revised, 272 pages
Published October 31st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1982)

Scarlett
This book has some really beautiful ideas about how massage can help babies and parents and it clearly outlines safe and effective techniques for infant massage. The author also articulates some wonderful thoughts on what it means to be valued and respected and how to translate those feelings to your baby through massage. The one gripe I have with this book is that it talks to a specific type of parent even though it is said a few times that infant massage can be a great part of your routine no...more
Myridian
This book is by the initial proponent of infant massage in the US. She walks through her theories behind infant massage and then presents a system of massage you can use on your own child. I very much like the idea of using massage with my baby and am familiar with some of the literature on the benefits of touch on stress hormone levels and development.

One thing I disagreed with was how McClure discussed the idea of adults' inner infants and that this may impact how they treat their babies. I d...more
Bethany
I love that, right off the bat, Vimala McClure delves into the "Why's" and benefits of Infant Massage. So many new parents are afraid of "spoiling" their children that they're reluctant to hold them for any length of time. This book is an excellent resource for refuting this ridiculous belief.

From a massage therapy student's point of view, the actual techniques are very basic and familiar -- just condensed and miniaturized. The descriptions are easy for non-therapists to follow; no jargon here!

T...more
A very quick and easy read that outlines the importance of touch. The sense of touch is developed at 7 weeks gestation and is an important aspect of continued development. Vimala brings together Indian Massage, Sweedish Massage, Yoga, and reflexology to provide parents and infants a beneficial and healthy relationship. Vimala explains, with pictures, each stroke and provides explanation for modifications due to disabilities, temperament, and age.

As a recently trained, in Vimala's theory, Infant...more
Mimi
I read this book twice. Once with William and again with Evey. I am the kind of mom that sticks the kid in the sling and does 7 other things at once all day. This helped me to turn a diaper change into a prolonged massage session/ real mommy-baby time. I could tell it helped William at night to calm down and Evey's tummy to relax (I still do it with her sometimes).
I use coconut butter and they both responded with smiles when I started to warm up the oil in my hands by rubbing them together fast...more
Becky
I didn't read any other infant massage books, so I have nothing to compare this one to, but I found this book easy to understand and I was able to get started quickly. I'm a massage novice with no aspirations of becoming a massage professional. I just wanted to be able to massage my baby, but I needed a book to give me some confidence and guidance. This book accomplished that for me.

Let me also say that massaging a baby is fun and relaxing (as long as there is no crying). And what can convey lov...more
Jen
I enjoyed learning how to bond with and sooth my baby. There were some things in the book that I don't use, and some things that are a little hokey for me too. But all in all I found it to be a useful and beneficial read. I think touch is a wonderful way to heal or release tension. Just think how good a massage feels for adults, then think about all the ways babies are learning to use and develop their muscles. Not only was our nightly routine relaxing and enjoyable, it released tension and the...more
I've always thought that infant massage was simple. And it is, but the illustrations and recommended strokes are helpful to start. In particular, I appreciated the recommendations for premature infants and children with physical disabilities.

The author does express some outdated and, to me, offensive opinions about infant daycare (and I'm not even a parent) in the early chapters. Feel free to skip that and get right into the hands-on chapters.
Kristin B.
Dec 08, 2008 Kristin B. rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: New Parents
Shelves: parenting
A great book for parents looking to connect and build a relationship with their baby in an intuitive way. More and more studies are showing that skin-to-skin contact helps a babies overall development including: physically, mental and emotional. I like this book because it gives great background about infant massage as well as full techniques with pictures. So glad I came across this book!
I thought this gave a good background and basis for why to do infant massage. A neighbor lent me this book and it was a quick and informative read. The instructions and photos really make it clear what to do, and I was able to start practicing right away. It's a good reference to have.
Vickie
Very informative. I definitely am interested in infant massage (I never was before reading this). The pictures aren't very helpful though. I really want a little instruction in person on how to do some of the massages.
Andrea
Andrea's review: if you have a colicy baby, or one who needs soothing routine, this is the book for you. Helped us get our very colicy/refluxy baby to bed peacefully every night. What a lifesaver.
Carol
I haven't had the opportunity to apply any techniques I learned yet but felt the book was very informative. Descriptions and photographs were good and just in general I agreed with her philosophy.
Alaine
Read this for my class on infant massage. Going to buy a copy for myself now. This would be a great present to give to a exspectant parent. Some parenting advice mixed in with with the course.
Joanna Vaught
really, i skipped everything but the routine and the massage strokes, because i didn't need to read 200 pages on why massage is beneficial. i went to massage school, i am WELL AWARE.
Amber
It is what it is. I learned some things from it. I didn't read it cover to cover. The idea of massaging babies is fabulous if you apply it. It can really help some babies.
Nicol
I took an infant massage class when Olivia was only a few months old. I loved taking the time each day to bond with her through touch. I am excited to do this again with Lucy!
Amron
Baby massage is more than rubbing your baby's arms or legs for a second. This book lays it down in detail for any parent. Its incredible rewarding and valuable.
Erin
The BEST THING about this book is how she draws a line from lack of massage in infancy to children growing up to be sociopaths. LOL Vimala!
Elizabeth
I think every parent should learn how to massage their infant. It's a great way to bond, calm them, and help with intestinal issues.
Lauren
I only read the section on techniques. It gave me new ideas for massage & validated what I was already doing.
Sausageclaire
Fantastic easy to use book. Really help my babies when they had colic highly recommend it!
Amy
I wish I had this book years ago. This is an esy, must read for parents of little ones.
Mandi
AMAZING!

If interested in learning more check-out http://www.infantmassageusa.org/
Elena
A great way to bond with your baby. My baby loves the massage more and more every time.
Precious book with infant massage and bonding techniques.
Brandee
Apr 09, 2008 Brandee is currently reading it
great so far, wish I'd had massage growing up.
Laurene Jewell
Wonderful. i highly recommend this book.
Nicolas
This book was too New Agey for me.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
199444
Vimala McClure has been credited as one of the founders of the International Association of Infant Massage (IAIM®).

Vimala’s interest in infant massage began during her travels throughout India and while working orphanages. In India, McClure had the opportunity to experience massage first hand during a time of illness. This nurturing touch helped Vimala to feel cared for, comforted and encouraged h...more
More about Vimala McClure...
The Tao of Motherhood The Path Of Parenting: Twelve Principles To Guide Your Journey Fabric Dyeing For Beginners A Woman's Guide to Tantra Yoga The Ethics of Love