Start by marking “The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles, #0.5)

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne (Steampunk Chronicles 0.5)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  7,004 Ratings  ·  884 Reviews
Finley Jayne knows she's not 'normal'. Normal girls don't lose time, or have something inside them that makes them capable of remarkably violent things. Her behavior has already cost her one job, so when she's offered the lofty position of companion to Phoebe, a debutante recently engaged to Lord Vincent, she accepts, despite having no experience. Lord Vincent is a man of ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Harlequin Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Strange Case of Finley Jayne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Strange Case of Finley Jayne

Navessa
Dec 17, 2014 Navessa rated it really liked it
This little novella was slipped into the beginning of my copy of The Girl in the Steel Corset, and somehow I didn’t realize it until I got to the end. Shaddup, I haven’t had enough coffee this morning.

If there was one word I could use to sum this up, it would be FUN. I enjoyed ever single moment of this. It was filled with the type of witty banter that some of my favorite historical romance authors excel at, the seamless world building reminded me of what I expect to find in urban fantasy, and
TL
Mar 21, 2016 TL rated it really liked it
Recommended to TL by: Muse-ic
Shelves: favorites

And so we are introduced to Finley Jayne :)

Really enjoyed this, Finley is a fun and very interesting character... it'd easy to connect with and root for her. She's kickass and loyal, someone I would be glad to have on my side :).

Her abilities aren't really explained here but left mysterious, Finley still getting the hang of things herself and doesn't understand why she is the way she is.
Makes me wonder if it com
Anne
I was blown away by the character development in this short-story, especially considering it was free. I guess it's proof that every now and then a little gem does pop up on the freebie list.

The story has some pretty crazy Frankensteinish elements to it, which may not appeal to everyone, but I thought it was fun. The plot was fast-paced, and Finley was a thoroughly interesting heroine.

I've been riding the fence when it came to reading The Girl in the Steel Corset, mainly because I'm burned out
ℓуηη, ℓσкιѕℓутнєя¢ℓαω
So I really enjoyed this. I might've even enjoyed it more than The Girl in the Steel Corset. Definitely an easy from me.

Lady Morton and her daughter Phoebe are quite lovable characters, and you love them all the more for accepting Finley as she is, not fearing her or wanting to reject her. I really hope to see them again later in the series. Dear sweet people. And how can you not love Finley? She's as badass as they come, and is protective of Phoebe and her mother. Busting up automotons, knocki
Nikki
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a quick, fun prequel to a book I haven't yet read, The Girl in the Steel Corset. It works reasonably well on its own, without having to infodump. If you're used to steampunky worlds, it isn't that different, at least at first glance.

It's not very subtle or very deep, but then, it is a short story/novella (not sure how many words it has and which exactly it qualifies as). Basically, it introduces the character of Finley Jayne, who is rapidly realising that she'
Wendy Darling
Well, well, well. This short story, which is billed as a prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset, is probably technically better than the actual book, if only because it feels more complete and is much tauter and better plotted. The mechanical wizardry is still a little nuts, but somehow it's in a more enjoyable way here--it's almost what you'd expect from a film that's been MST3K'd.

There weren't quite as many threads connecting it to the main story as you might hope, aside from a few near-miss
Vane J.
2.5 out of 5 stars

I don't normally read novellas. I don't think I've read more than five of them, but I decided to try this one because it was said it is better than the series. And it was true.

This less than a hundred pages novella was much more fun than the series. In first place, Finley is better developed... in less than a hundred pages. In the series, she's boring, while in this book, she's more kick-ass, which is what I wanted from the series.

In second place, this is much more fast-paced.
AH

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is the prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset. I picked up this short novella as a free download from Kobo books. The title and the cover were attractive and its relatively short length encouraged me to read it. I'll admit that while I liked the story, I just wasn't wowed.

It seems to me that a lot of authors are jumping on the steampunk bandwagon. I enjoy the genre; I love the contraptions and gadgets. This story had all sorts of cool gadgets, from simple flush
Nicole D.
Nov 10, 2014 Nicole D. rated it it was amazing
Finley Jayne has always been different. When she is fired for punching a governess for hitting a child,she isn't sure how she is going to find another job without a reference. When Lady Morton walks into her stepfather's bookshop and offers her a job as a companion to her daughter Phoebe,Finley jumps at the chance.

I love Finley. She is a such a great heroine.She is intelligent,stubborn,brave,unique,and stands up for the weak. This is one if not the best prequel novella I have ever read. This nov
Kate Copeseeley
Three words that have stuck in my head since reading this short story/ novella: lackluster, disappointing, and uncertain.

I haven't read Kady Cross before, but I bought "The Girl in the Steel Corset" and thought, since this little prequel was free on Kindle, that I'd pick it up and read it as well. The three words I used previous to describe it, highlight each of the three issues I found with this story.

First of all, steampunk is one of the most exciting genres to catch on in YA fiction thus far.
Kate McMurry
An action-packed, short-story prequel to the YA steampunk novel, The Girl in the Steel Corset

As an appetizer for The Girl in the Steel Corset, this short story works really well. It gives a tantalizing glimpse into the life of sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne before the events of The Steampunk Chronicles series.

Finley lives in an alternate-universe Victorian England where familiar, modern-day technology exists, but with a brass-and-steam twist in keeping with the actual technology of the real Vict
Elizabeth
Jul 04, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Shelves: steam-punk
This short story was actually at the beginning of the ebook The Girl in the Steel Corset, and I have to say I like Finley more in this story than in the actual book. I really liked the book, but the girl in the short story is more daring and in control. I was a little sad to finish this and then move to the book where she's less feisty.

After being fired from her position as a maid for hitting the governess after she made one of the small children cry Finley is worried that she won't be able to f
Petra (Safari Poet)
This prequel introduces the main character of The Girl In the Steel Corset, Finley Jane. It's starts with her being fired for sticking up for a little boy, which right away tells me what kind of person she is. This is the second time she's been fired in a short time. She thinks something must be wrong with her and that she's evil because of her sometimes dark thoughts, super strength and hearing.

She goes home to her mother and stepfather, Silas even though she'd rather not be a burden to them. B
Kate
May 28, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-ya, steampunk
This novella was included as part of the ebook The Girl in the Steel Corset. It is a prequel told in first person, where Finley Jayne is employed as a companion for a wealthy young lady engaged to be married to a devious man with a dangerous plan - the lady's mother has heard of Finley's unusual strength and her penchant to fight for what is right, and as the mother hopes, Finley is suspicious of the fiance and takes it upon herself to discover his real plan.

The novella was a such a great introd
Donna
May 06, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Miss Finley has lost her job all due to her defending an helpless child, so home to mom it is. But that is not all, she has another problem and she fears that it will be the fall of her. She has no one to turn to. She needs another job but as odd as it seems that was not hard as the job offer came looking for her!

She was offered a position to be a companion to Miss Phoebe but she can not believe her ears, how can this be? She accepts the offer and her whole life is changed! Phoebe is such a rema
Joanna Marie
Jan 10, 2013 Joanna Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Wow! I never thought it would be this good!

The strange case of Finley Jayne is her supernatural strengths. She may not be able to control her temper sometimes but she (so far) uses this in a good way especially when protecting the people she serves or her loved ones. And in this new job, she protects her new companion, Lady Phoebe from the mad scientist/mechanic Lord Vincent and him marrying her.

The setting is in London which is a perfect lovely setting for this historical yet robotic era of aut
Philip
Jun 06, 2011 Philip rated it it was ok
This was a quick read. As such, the author didn't take very much time giving much plausible reasoning/justification for a lot of what happened. It just happened that way and those people did those things, deal with it.

There is enough background/introduction to make it alright as a stand-alone story; I didn't feel like I was missing anything substatial, but it was obvious that it was part of a series and Finley Jayne was more developed elsewhere. At least I hope it's part of a series, or else I m
Veronica Morfi
Jun 20, 2011 Veronica Morfi rated it it was amazing
I love prequels! You can get a pretty good idea about the real thing from them. And I think I'm going to love these series.

Finley Jayne is not normal. She can see and hear better than anyone and is stronger than any guy is knows. Finley has a new job as a "freind" of a girl her age, Phoebe, who just got engaged. Phoebe's mother is worried about the man her daughter is to marry and hires Finley to find out his secrets, which are darker than she could ever imagine.

This the first Steampunk book I'v
Denise
Jun 27, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, read-2016
I first read this prequel novella for the Steampunk Chronicles five years ago, didn't particularly care for it at the time and thus never followed up on reading the rest of the series. Having since developed a lot more interest and liking for the genre and been sorely tempted by seeing the whole trilogy beckoning me from my local library's shelves lately, I figured I might as well give it another try - and this time around, the experience was much different. The story hooked me from the first pa ...more
Karly *The Vampire Ninja, Luminescent Monster & Wendigo Nerd Goddess of Canada (according to The Hulk)*
Having read the three full stories in this series I found The Strange Case of Finley Jayne a bit of character regurgita. However, it has been a while since I read them so I also found it interesting.

A short, rather poorly edited, preclude on the life of Finley Jayne a kick butt girl who can take out a grown man without breaking a sweat.

It's cute, in an overly sweet cupcake sort of way, but fun to play around before the story a bit.
Alexandra
Jan 10, 2012 Alexandra rated it liked it
This is a short story which is a prequel introduction to a series. I found it enjoyable. Finley was an interesting and pretty likeable character, but I found the plot a bit silly. As far as "Steampunk", I'm not sure I would quite classify it as such. There are automatons, etc. But the Victorian atmosphere was very thin. I may read the next (officially first) book in this series, but was not inspired to want to do so right away.
April
Apr 17, 2013 April rated it it was amazing
I love and hate prequels! I love them because they whet the appetite for a new series, I hate them because they are a big tease!

to be cont...
Christine Anna  Kirchoff
Nov 23, 2015 Christine Anna Kirchoff rated it it was amazing
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is absolutely a must read! Review: http://thetbrpile.weebly.com/reviews/...
Petra
Mar 16, 2016 Petra rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Funny and simple read with a badass main character. I quite liked it and I will start the girl in the steel corset soon!
Fabienne Danielle
Mar 15, 2015 Fabienne Danielle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I loved it so much!!!
Ariela
Mar 12, 2017 Ariela rated it it was ok
Read as part of the pop sugar challenge. Didn't know what steampunk was and now I know.
Shelley
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is a prequel to The Girl in the Steel Corset series set in the Victorian era and is clearly a steampunk novel. I do believe this book can be read on its own merits, and not wait until the next book is available if you are so inclined.

This story introduces us to Finley Jayne who is fired after she punches a Miss Clarke who slapped a young boy named Fenton. She is now unemployed in a city where it is hard for a girl to find work without proper introductions. She is
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
I haven't read that many steampunk books but I have read a few, and this is definately my favourite one of the (rather small) pile. Steampunk isn't a widely known genre, so to help along here is the wikipedia, oh great holder of all knowledge's, definition:

"...steampunk involves an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century and often Victorian era Britain—that incorporates prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy. Works of steampunk often feature
Rachel
May 15, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
The Strange Case of Finley Jayne is the delightful, engaging and slightly creepy prequel novella to The Girl in the Steel Corset. This short story, which reads like a standalone tale, introduces readers to Finley Jayne, the main character in the full-length novel.

In this story, which takes place just before the full-length novel begins, readers follow along with Finley as she takes a job as the companion to Phoebe, who is engaged to the much older, wealthy and slightly eccentric inventor, Lord V
Karissa
May 17, 2011 Karissa rated it really liked it

This short story is a prelude to The Girl in the Steel Corset, the first in Kady Cross's Steampunk Chronicles. I have already read The Girl in the Steel Corset and really enjoyed it. This story is good filler as to how Finely gets to where she is in the beginning of The Girl in the Steel Corset. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it as a good sample of the author's writing style because there isn't a lot of back story in this short story.

Finley Jayne is different. Normally she is a good girl, but
Romance Readers R...: Buddy Reads -Meet and Greet- The Strange Case of Finley Jayne-Starts Feb 1! 13 18 Feb 01, 2014 03:55PM
The Steampunk Chronicles 5 26 Jul 15, 2012 06:01AM
  • Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2)
  • Flash Gold (Flash Gold Chronicles #1)
  • The 19 Dragons
  • Viridis (Viridis, #1)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • Like Clockwork
  • Corsets & Clockwork: 13 Steampunk Romances
  • Her Own Devices (Magnificent Devices, #2)
  • Necromancer (Necromancer, #0.5)
  • Retro Demonology (The Demon Trappers, #0.5)
  • Clockwork Fagin (Free Story from Steampunk!)
  • Tarnished Knight (London Steampunk, #1.5)
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • The Doomsday Vault (Clockwork Empire #1)
  • Supernatural Devices (Steampunk Scarlett, #1)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
  • Touch of Steel (Clockwork Agents, #2)
  • Miss Bramble and the Leviathan
Kady Cross is a pseudonym for USA Today bestselling author Kathryn Smith. She lives in Connecticut with her husband and a pride of cats. She likes singing with Rock Band on the 360, British guys, Vietnamese food, and makeup (she’s hopelessly addicted to YouTube makeup tutorials!). When she’s not writing Kady likes to catch up on her favorite TV shows, read a good book or make her own cosmetics.
More about Kady Cross...

Steampunk Chronicles (4 books)
  • The Girl in the Steel Corset (Steampunk Chronicles, #1)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Girl with the Iron Touch (Steampunk Chronicles, #3)
  • The Girl with the Windup Heart (Steampunk Chronicles, #4)

“You're the very spawn of Satan and I'll not have you darken this door ever again.” 13 likes
“Learn from it and then let it go. Dwelling never helped anyone.” 13 likes