Start by marking “Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jacob (Nightwalkers, #1)

Jacob (Nightwalkers #1)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  13,919 ratings  ·  703 reviews
Since time began, there have been Nightwalkers - the races of the night who live in the shadows of the moonlight. Love with humans is absolutely forbidden, and one man makes certain to uphold this ancient law: Jacob, the Enforcer...

For 700 Years, He has resisted temptation. But not tonight...

Jacob knows the excuses his people give when the madness overtakes them and they f...more
Mass Market Paperback, 376 pages
Published December 1st 2006 by Zebra (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Jacob, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacob

Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
43rd out of 1,438 books — 9,442 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
41st out of 3,132 books — 6,413 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May

I just cannot take it any longer! Maybe it was unfair that I gave the ending 1 star but I wouldn't know because I never made it there. This book just bugged me so much in every way. I love the paranormal romance genre, that and dystopias are what get me going book-wise; so I was thinking this would be another to add to the list: Fever Series, Black Dagger Brotherhood, Lords Of The Underworld, etc, etc. I even ignored the terrible Mills & Boon style cover and pretended it didn't offend my ey...more
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I really liked this book, but I can't give it more than 3 stars.

Pros
I love the new take on demons, on nightwalkers in general, turning them into an ancient race of honourable, magical beings who are only turned into hideous, slobbering, demonic fiends when summoned by human necromancers.

I'm a big fan of elemental magic - the five elements are usually earth, air, fire, water and spirit. Here, instead of spirit, it's mind and body. Each demon is master of one particular element. Jacob's is earth.

I...more
Duchess Nicole
I listened to the audiobook of this one, so my review reflects that. I think an audio experience colors my opinions in a big way. The narrator is a pretty popular one. She did a great job, although her voice is a bit sweet on the female lead's parts. Her Croatian accent (I think they're Croatian) was amazing. Not one you hear regularly, so kudos to her for that. It really delineated the male characters.

I enjoyed this story, but honestly, it left me more interested in what is coming up for the re...more
Terra
Jacob (Book 1 of The Nightwalkers Series) by Jacquelyn Frank is a better than delightful romantic treat in the world of paranormal. Deliciously sensual ground shaking love and Demons like you have never seen before encompass this book with an elemental frenzy.

Jacob is young for his six hundred years and every bit the professional when it comes to his job. Being an immortal Demon does have it's drawbacks and it's up to Jacob as The Enforcer to make sure that things go as they should and if a law...more
Buggy
Opening Line:"How ridiculously simple it would be to cause them harm."

Jacob is the Demon enforcer for his people. His responsibility for the past 700 years has been to protect the human population from fellow Nightwalkers who fall victim to the maddening Moonlust. He takes his duties as enforcer seriously and over the years has even had to punish close friends and family members when they stray too close to humans. Because of this Jacob has become feared within Demon society, now an involuntary...more
Kelli
This review is for the audiobook version of Jacob, narrated by Xe Sands.

Warning: this review contains blatant preconceptions about the PNR genre, lots of exclamation points, phrases entirely in capital letters, some commentary on the sexy bits of the book, and a little bit of tongue-in-cheek. No offense intended if I insult your favorite book ever.

I am tempted to give this one a 4 star rating but my rational brain might make me stick to 3. I may even come back and change it after some thought.

In...more
Carolyn F.
Re-read by audiobook. I also have the paperback. At first I didn't care for Xe Sands' narration much but she definitely got better. The problem is though that scenes from the book that I found unforgettable - him hiding around a corner just to be near her and him falling asleep with his nose at her neck so he could smell her all night - were just read through quickly and I almost missed them. I'll keep the rating the same because I did enjoy the book.

06/16/10 previous reviewThis book started ou...more
Anita
I'm surprised I liked this book, but I did - quite a lot. It's a soulmate-type paranormal romance, and I'm not a huge fan of "soulmate" romances, but this one really worked for me. The affection between the lead characters felt real, the humorous reparte had me laughing out loud a few times, and the 'verse was interesting - lots of fun special effect powers to learn about.

Basic plot: Demons are a hidden subculture of night creatures inhabiting our world. (There are also vampires and weres out th...more
Christel
Mar 28, 2009 Christel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: paranormal readers
Recommended to Christel by: Amazon.com
Shelves: jacquelyn-frank
A little different take on the paranormal world.

Jacob is a Demon who is the Enforcer of the Nightwalkers. he is centuries old and it is his job to make sure his species of Demons do not bother or chase after humans. This mainlky happens during 2 phases of the year, Samhaim (Autumn) and Beltran (Spring). Jacob is immune to forbidden desires and the curse of the full moon.
Isabella works as a Librairian in New York City. She lives in an apartment with her sister Corrine. One night while she is lean...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
I had a blast reading this book! Jacob (Nightwalkers series) isa fun, sexy, charming, fascinating, and highly captivating read. I fell in love with the hero and heroine, Jacob and Bella, right from the start.

Jacob stole my heart. He was funny, sweet, fierce, domineering, and extremely loyal. It was impossible not to love him.Bella was an extremely strong and determined heroine, while still remaining feminine with a touch of vulnerability. At times she did get on my nerves (putting her hands on h...more
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Quick review:

Cover: Nice
Rating: NC-17
Steaminess: Smoking
Overall: I admit, I lusted over a demon
Characters: Well done
Plot: Can he keep her safe until she comes into her own
Page Turner: Yes
Series Cont.? Yes
Recommend: Yes
Book Boyfriend: Jacob

SUMMARY (50 words or less)
This series starts off with world building surrounding demons. But don’t think Hell demons. No, this series takes the word and uses it for a race that’s nothing like the interpretation you may have now. This beings...more
Leah
Gokce ~Muslin Myst~
The book that made me create a shelf for "gal I hated/annoyed me to no end" or something along the lines. The heroes, the nightwalkers were ok likeable characters, but the heroine, oh my god, the heroine..I have never read such an annoying character before. It's safe to say that she's ruined the whole book for me and even though I wonder about the other guys I'm kinda afraid of their females turning out to be just like this one. She was a cocky, extremely childish little brat that kept on snappi...more
Heather C
Jun 25, 2013 Heather C marked it as did-not-finish
I can't believe I bought this TWICE!! Paperback years ago and eBook recently

I was really liking this in the beginning but then around 20% I hit a road block. I kept pushing forward because the sexual tension was crazy, hot and I was really liking the concept of the story. Then the author's writing started driving me crazy!!! There was all this "telling" and not "showing" and the adjective overuse and eye-rolling metaphors were gagging me. At 32% I finally had enough when I got to this:
"Her mout
Nadine
Das beste, was man über dieses Buch sagen kann ist, dass es konsequent auf sämtlichen Ebenen enttäuscht.

Charaktere:
Bella: Sie schwankt zwischen kindlicher Naivität (und hüpft gerne mal vor Aufregung von einem Fuss auf den anderen) und absoluter Genialität (wenn sie gerade erst dabei ist, die "Damönensprache" zu lernen, sich 3 Tage im Archiv vergräbt und dort die alten Schriften ind er gerade erst erlernten Sprache mit den vielen Bänen voller Damönengestze vergleicht und ihr dabei auffällt, dass...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

I liked this book, it reminds me of the Demonica series in the sense that I like it bit I don't LOVE it. It doesn't inspire me to build shrines and write poetry and become genrally obsessed, not that I do that of course! *quickly hides Black Dagger Brotherhood and Immortals After Dark Shrine* But I did like it, it made me laugh, it was romantic and it had a little bit of action in it as well.

Set in a world where there is a whole different group of species collectively called Nightwalke...more
Laura the Highland Hussy

This was a really interesting start to what promises to be an interesting series.

Jacob is the demon king's Enforcer. That means he enforces their laws on any of his people found consorting with humans. Their bestial natures are too much for humans-especially at the Beltane and Samhain moons-May and October. They call it the Hallowed madness.

Enter Isabella.

She falls out of her apartment window and Jacob catches her...mid-air! He is instantly connected to...more
DarienMoya
So the first book in the Nightwalker series is just plain good. I am seriously in love with these tortured demon men. The first book is titled Jacob easily named after the hero in this book.

Jacob is the Enforcer the one whose job it is to see that Demons who have broken their law be brought to justice. He is the embodiment of earth, able to cause hurricanes and earthquakes, because the earth is everything so Jacob is everywhere. Because under the bright light of the full moon Demons become fille...more
Denise~The Procrastinating Book Diva~
I'd heard so many great things about this series so I bought the first 3 books without thinking twice - BIG MISTAKE!!! This book was terrible. The first book I have ever read that was so bad I could not even finish it. I knew it was over when Isabella meets Jacob for the first time by falling out of the window of her apartment into his arms - just plain stupid!!! But I kept on reading, I paid for these books dammit, it just had to get better!!! Wrong!!!
Ms. Frank's writing style is simply boring,...more
valee
I started this book thinking that I would like it, but I never expected to found another awesome series. This book was so good that I couldn't stop with it until it was over.

I loved this book. The bond between Bella and Jacob was so strong and sweet that I felt like sentimental the whole time I was reading this book.

And this new world of druids and Demonds! so good.
Also I felt like I wanted to know more about the other characters. I loved this book and I can't wait to read the nexts. If you hav...more
Martina ♥ Bookaholic
Ich mag Urban Fantasy, Paranormal Romance für Erwachsene und auch Wesen mit einzigartigen Fähigkeiten, also dürfte man auch meinen, dass dieses Buch perfekt nach meinem Geschmack wäre. Tja, leider hat diese Kombination nun zum ersten Mal nicht funktioniert.

Die größte Schuld daran, gebe ich der Schreibweise der Autorin und den Charakteren. Und vor allem diesem ständige Wechsel der Sichtweise, der nicht von Kapitel zu Kapitel vonstatten ging, sondern Absatzweise und auch total schnell und ohne Log...more
Liz
Let me start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of paranormal romance. The love stories are just as good but sometimes I find it difficult to fully immerse myself in a story if there are details in the story that are difficult to wrap my mind around. Don't get me wrong: I love paranormal stuff: Anne Rice, Charlaine Harris, Laurell K Hamilton, etc. But when we're talking ROMANCE, its hard for me to get INTO it when you're talking about an (undead) vampire getting his groove on, ya know? I mean, do...more
Tricia
May 02, 2008 Tricia rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
I had heard good things about this author, but sadly I was disappointed. I understand the need to "describe" in order for the reader to paint the picture, but this author OVER does it. I found myself flipping pages just to get past her blah blah blah's, and back to the story.

Her sex scenes are dry, and boring. It's like she copied and pasted each one, and just changed the characters according to the book she was writing.(Jacob, Gideon, Elijah) All tormented, and undeserving of love and family....more
Diana
Audiobook Narrated by Xe Sands

If you’ve ever read a paranormal romance starring ye olde fated mates, you know what’s on the checklist. Let’s just get this out of the way.

Hero: A demon (the good kind) living in a compound with his bros protecting humans against the supernatural forces of evil. Jacob is The Enforcer, charged with the prevention of consorting between demons and humans because simply terrible, apocalyptic things will happen if such a mating occurs. I was never really sure why, but w...more
Kathleen
Decent plot. Likeable characters. Sexy, too. Weak and sometimes frustrating writing style, even though I appreciated the absence of excessive profanity and vulgar terms for female anatomy. So, to be fair, I will elaborate on why this writing is weak, IMO.

Some of the dialogue is just silly, especially given the characters are demons and necromancers. Examples:

"That magic using bastard never had a chance against my little enforcer." (p. 209)

Jacob repeatedly calls Bella "my little enforcer" and "...more
Ezinwanyi~the Troublemaker   (Oh My Shelves)
3.5 Stars.
Unfortunately, I wanted to put Isabella Russ in a headlock for most of the book. She goes down as top 5 most annoying heroines. Miss "Hand on the Hip" smart mouth. Does she really think she is the female Jackie Chan? Okay, a couple of males let you punch them, now you think you are Mike Tyson.
girl, go sit down on a ledge--and really fall down this time.
She wasn't even suave like Cat to be so mouthy. Jacob, I really liked, but I look forward to reading the books of Gideon, Elijah &...more
Dawn
Apr 15, 2009 Dawn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: pnr
This book starts off slow. It seems like the vanilla story where a virgin librarian is uber powerful then she literally falls out of a window and meets a powerful demon who has never been tempted to be with a human in 400 years. Of course they get together and they become power couple numero uno. Then somewhere around page two hundred we get some action and things get interesting. I get this is a series that is just starting and the first hundred or so pages is all world building but to me it se...more
Tammy
I absolutely loved this book. I also loved Jacob and Bella together and can't wait to see what Gideon's book has in store. I have read that this is a great series and now that I have started reading them, I would say that I agree.
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
This is a book I tried reading a year ago and was not able to get past the first couple of chapters..I started the audio and was almost immediately sucked in. The narrator did an awesome job and I can't wait to start the second book.
Miriyam Schtraks
Miriyam Schtraks marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Jacquelyn Frank - Night Walker Series 6 53 Dec 28, 2011 12:11PM
A New Nightwalker Story From Jacquelyn Frank 1 23 Oct 24, 2011 10:39AM
A New Three Worlds Novel From Jacquelyn Frank Just Released 1 14 Jul 26, 2011 08:17AM
New Release Kicks Off Jacquelyn Frank's New Three World Series 1 15 Mar 22, 2011 06:17AM
  • When Darkness Comes (Guardians of Eternity, #1)
  • Passion Unleashed (Demonica, #3)
  • Scent of Darkness (Darkness Chosen, #1)
  • Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians, #1)
  • Atlantis Rising (Warriors of Poseidon, #1)
  • Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1)
  • Shades of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #7)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • Obsession Untamed (Feral Warriors, #2)
  • Tempt Me with Darkness (Doomsday Brethren, #1)
  • The Dark One (Wild Wulfs of London, #1)
  • Dreams of a Dark Warrior (Immortals After Dark, #11)
  • Nightkeepers (Nightkeepers, #1)
  • In Darkness Reborn (Paladins of Darkness, #3)
I live in Asheville NC and have written a book...or two...or is it ten?
More about Jacquelyn Frank...
Elijah (Nightwalkers, #3) Damien (Nightwalkers, #4) Gideon (Nightwalkers, #2) Noah (Nightwalkers, #5) Ecstasy (Shadowdwellers, #1)

5 trivia questions
1 quiz
More quizzes & trivia...
“Whenever I see you, I am overcome with the urge to be rooted within you, to be buried deep so your body can nourish me.” 19 likes
“Do you think, little flower, that there will ever come a day when you regret meeting me?” he asked quietly.
“Yes,” she said simply.
“I see,” he said tightly.
“Would you like a specific date?”
“You are teasing me,” he realized suddenly.
“No, I’m dead serious. I have an exact date in mind.”
Jacob pulled back to see her eyes, looking utterly perplexed as her pupils sparkled with mischief.
“What date is that? And why are you thinking of pink elephants?”
“The date is September 8, because, according to Gideon, that’s possibly the day I will go into labor. I say ‘possibly,’ because combining all this human/Druid and Demon DNA ‘may make for a longer period of gestation than usual for a human,’ as the Ancient medic recently quoted. Now, as I understand it, women always regret ever letting a man touch them on that day.”
Jacob lurched to his feet, dropping her onto her toes, grabbing her by the arms, and holding her still as he raked a wild, inspecting gaze over her body.
“You are pregnant?” he demanded, shaking her a little. “How long have you known? You went into battle with that monster while you are carrying my child?”
Our child,” she corrected indignantly, her fists landing firmly on her hips, “and Gideon only just told me, like, five seconds ago, so I didn’t know I was pregnant when I was fighting that thing!”
“But . . . he healed you just a few days ago! Why not tell you then?”
“Because I wasn’t pregnant then, Jacob. If you recall, we did make love between then and now.”
“Oh . . . oh Bella . . .” he said, his breath rushing from him all of a sudden.
He looked as if he needed to sit down and put a paper bag over his head. She reached to steady him as he sat back awkwardly on the altar. He leaned his forearms on his thighs, bending over them as he tried to catch his breath. Bella had the strangest urge to giggle, but she bit her lower lip to repress to impulse.
So much for the calm, cool, collected Enforcer who struck terror into the hearts of Demons everywhere.
“That is not funny,” he grumbled indignantly.
“Yeah? You should see what you look like from over here,” she teased.
“If you laugh at me I swear I am going to take you over my knee.”
“Promises, promises,” she laughed, hugging him with delight. Finally, Jacob laughed as well, his arm snaking out to circle her waist and draw her back into his lap.
“Did you ask . . . I mean, does he know what it is?”
“It’s a baby. I told him I didn’t want to know what it is. And don’t you dare find out, because you know the minute you do I’ll know, and if you spoil the surprise I’ll murder you.”
“Damn . . . she kills a couple of Demons and suddenly thinks she can order all of us around,” he taunted, pulling her close until he was nuzzling her neck, wondering if it was possible for such an underused heart as his to contain so much happiness.”
5 likes