Start by marking “X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream” as Want to Read:
X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream

X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream (X-23)

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  1,215 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Government-controlled killing machine. Child of the streets. X-Man. X-23 has lived many lives, but none of them have ever felt right. She knows she's a killer, but she's not sure she can be anything else. The X-Men offer her a home and help facing her demons, but she's done being someone's project. She wants to be her own woman, and she'll do it on her own terms. Leaving t ...more
Published November 2nd 2011 by Marvel (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about X-23 - Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23 - Volume 1

Anne
This is Marjorie Liu's take on X-23, and the first solo title I've read about the character.
I liked it!

description

Now, even though this is volume 1, this is by no means an origin story for Laura. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit of backstory to her that I'd love to find out more about. However, this does give you everything you need to get started with this story arc, so even if you've never heard of X-23, you'd be ok starting off here, I think.

It starts off with X-23 feeling isolated and ostracized
Jeff
Sep 23, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Why does it seems like it’s always the powered up teen-aged girls that need to get put through the paces in these storylines?

This is the first X-23 collection that I’ve picked up. For those who don’t know, Laura (X-23) is Wolverine’s clone, who was bred to be an assassin. She was put through unspeakable hoops to do unspeakable things, eventually, even by the X-Men.

Is it too late to get the “normal teen-aged life” genie back in the bottle? Probably. This doesn’t stop Laura from trying to get in
Sam Quixote
Laura Kinney is X-23, so-called as she’s the 23rd DNA sample from Weapon X/Wolverine and survived the lab that was trying to make her into another Weapon X. She’s Wolverine’s clone/daughter with all of his powers from a healing factor to the snikting claws!

In The Killing Dream, Laura deals with mental scarring as she confronts her traumatic past as well as a shape-shifting demon(?!) and then later teams up with the ragin’ Cajun himself Gambit to take on Mister Sinister – who’s trapped in a woma
Ivan
Sadly not as good as Craig Kyle's comics.Laura herself is still interesting but Innocence lost and Target X where self contained stories while in The killing dream story takes place includes more of the marvels world and character and that is where is my problem.I usually avoid Marvel comics because Earth 616 (universe where most of marvel characters exist) has become one overdeveloped mess and it takes a lot to pull off really good story there.It's still ok comic and I am continuing this story ...more
Sesana
Feb 28, 2015 Sesana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
I kind of worked my way sideways into my interest in Laura. I'd heard of her, but wasn't inspired to look into her at all. Female clone of Wolverine? Meh. My first real exposure to her was in Kyle's X-Force. That's when she really started to grow on me. And honestly, I felt pretty bad for the kid. This ended up being a good place to pick up, set after that version of X-Force became public knowledge.

Liu does a really good job of communicating Laura's confused emotional state. She feels lonely, b
David
Sep 02, 2013 David rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Wolverine clones, goth chicks who cut themselves and are whoa tragic + mutant powerz!!!
This volume apparently is relatively late in the history of X-23, but it has a helpful summary of her history in the back, narrated by Wolverine, so now I know more or less what her story is.

The summary reminded me why I stopped reading X-Men way back when - every other issue introduces some new global conspiracy and a new recurring villain, and since villains never, ever die permanently in comics, 50 years later you have like a bazillion nemeses each of which is "The X-Men's greatest enemy!"

Any
Terence
Laura was created to be a weapon.
description
Ever since she escaped other people have been trying to use her. Even the X-Men have utilized X-23's assassin training with X-Factor. Right now Laura is just trying to find herself.

The Killing Dream felt fairly disjointed to me. I assume I just didn't read the necessary issues prior to reading this, but I'm not certain. It seems a demon wants Laura to kill for him. It appears Laura is the hottest commodity since the Weapon X program was looking for a candidate to
Damon
Aug 11, 2016 Damon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kristen
Jul 23, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The art is the worst part of this book. It does match the tone of the writing, but it isn't what I'd call pretty to look at most of the time. There are different artists who worked on this so it isn't the same all throughout. Some are better than others, but generally it isn't a nice looking book. And is it just me, or is Ororo so light-skinned it's hard to tell it's her? I didn't know until Logan said her name...

But it does have good writing. There are, admittedly, some moments that are on the
Michael
Jan 29, 2014 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sequential-art
X-23, Laura Kinney, ist eine junge Frau, fast noch ein Mädchen, deren Probleme weit über die üblichen eines Teenagers hinausreichen. Sie ist das Produkt von Klonforschungen eines Waffenkonzerns, des Weapon X-Programms, und ab Kleinstkindalter zum Töten konditioniert worden. Später stieß sie zu den X-Men und wurde Teil der X-Force, eben jener Einheit, die entgegen den moralischen Standards anderer Superhelden-Teams auch die Tötung des Gegners als taktisches Mittel in Kauf nimmt, um ihr Ziel zu er ...more
C. Derick
Feb 21, 2017 C. Derick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is X-23 comic of 2010-2012 so don't confuse it with the mid-aughts origin story runs (those can now be found in the X-23 Complete Collection as can one of the two arcs in this volume). While I found the first arc of the demonic possession of Laura and the question of her soul a bit tiresome, Marjorie M. Liu's second arc with Miss Sinister and a more sympathetic and less pervy than normal Gambit was particularly good. The comprehensive backstory of X-23 is in the back and also helps, althoug ...more
Nancy O'Toole
Having recently enjoyed Chris Kyle's take on X-23's origin story, I decided to seek out some more X-23 comics. The one problem with that is Marjorie M. Liu's run begins significantly further down Laura's timeline, and the results are not always friendly to new readers. While reading The Killing Dream, I often found myself confused, and suspect I would have enjoyed the graphic novel more had I been more experienced with the series that directly preceded it (X-Force).

At the same time, even with th
Rosa
I have been hearing tons of great stuff about X-23 so when I saw the graphic novel at work I grabbed it. This volume is the beginning of X-23's standalone series but it is the beginning of her story. Right of the bat I want to say that I thought they did a great job integrating information about X-23's past into the story so that I could still follow along even though I have been out of the loop for a little while. The also provided a great summary in the back to make things even easier.

I find
Gavin
Mar 24, 2013 Gavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I'd already read Vol 2. So this seemed like a logical step...in reverse order. I really enjoyed this book. Looking at the psychological consequences of being a mindless assassin for so many years and everything it did to her, along with giving Gambit some of the best stuff he's had in years, along with a whole different dimension to Wolverine. I also like a female X-Man who's not all Tits and Ass too. Also no ridiculous love triangles and crap like that. Just good old fashioned stuff. Reminds me ...more
Iris Bratton
3.5/5 STARS
Norman
Mar 07, 2017 Norman rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-comics
Something about Marjorie Liu's writing feels so "written" to me.. like I feel no real emotion for the characters or dialogue because I am aware of the act of reading. I liked the characters introduced here - Alice, the lady Sinister, the mutant kid with no hands, etc - but they all seemed a bit one dimensional. Even Laura. At the start we feel her unease with herself, but as it moves forward we get absorbed in some convoluted plot.

By far my favorite X-23 story is her introduction, and coming out
Elisa
Aug 02, 2013 Elisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, superhero
3.5

I've never really been a fan of X-23. Wolverine is already Marvel's most overexposed character, and creating a teenage girl version of him reeks of gimmick. But given how hard it is to find mainstream superhero comics written by women or with a female audience at all in mind and that this series got pretty good reviews, I decided to give it a shot.

Liu has actually warmed me up to the character a bit with this volume. The comic contains two 3-issue arcs. The first, a tie-in to the 'Wolverine G
Michael (Mai)
What I knew about X-23 before this? Uh…? She has claws like Wolverine. Lives in the X-Men universe. The end.

What I thought? I saw Laura (that’s her name, lol, I know now) in a Guardians of the Galaxy comic and I thought she seemed stoic, yet interesting. This brought me to grab X-23: The Killing Dream. I was expecting to find a complex girl with a cool character design. I got that…but…not how I wanted it.

Laura was complex. I translate that to complex shit happened to her but I don’t know what it
Craig
Aug 23, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nicely written and pretty well illustrated graphic novel, the first in a run by Marjorie Liu featuring X-23, aka Laura-clone-of-Logan. Since it's a volume one I expected to be able to pick up on everything and know what was happening and who was who all along, but was frequently blind-sided by events and characters and developments from other books that left me baffled. There is a very good five page recap of and introduction to the character at the end of this book, which would have b ...more
Becky
May 15, 2014 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
First, I am very confused as to why there are two entries for this book on Goodreads.
Second, I love this book. I love Laura. I love Gambit. I love inner demons and complex character development.
Basically:

I am still confused as to who it was that was posing as Logan. Is that guy coming back? Do we learn what was going on there?

I was kind of concerned when her villain was a female version of Mr. Sinister, but then Laura managed to kick him out of her own head. I know he's weak right now, but eve
Bina
Mar 27, 2016 Bina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I had no idea what was going on at first,.but managed to keep up somewhat thanks to the interspersed summary. Maybe not the best entry point for a superhero comics newbie. Too much happened in this Volume but I enjoyed the characterization of X-23 even if I mostly felt sorry for her. Doesn't look like she'll ever catch a break.
The art took away most of my enjoyment though. I chose this story because I expected a better representation of female characters in a Volume written by a woman but the ar
Sonic
Aug 21, 2012 Sonic rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had flashes of brilliance in the art and the writing, but over all ...

pfff.
Lauren
Jun 04, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why does Laura have to suffer so much
Gary Butler
Oct 29, 2012 Gary Butler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
48th book read in 2012.

Number 113 out of 280 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Chantaal
Can't get any better than the pairing of Marjorie M. Liu and X-23.

Well, maybe Jonathan Hickman/any comic character ever, but you catch my drift.
Seth
Jun 17, 2017 Seth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this volume of X-23. Marjorie Liu was not on my radar at all, but she sure is now. This series really captured the guilt and intensity carried on the shoulders of X-23. Plus she threw in a Gambit team-up, which was reminiscent of the Gambit/Wolverine team ups of the early 90's only better. The main villain was awesome too. This series may single handedly bring the X-Titles back into my reading list. I will absolutely be reading more of this series, no question.
Jessica Woods
Jun 07, 2017 Jessica Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully drawn, X-23 tells a complex and compelling story of Wolverine's clone Laura. Laura struggles with her purpose in life and sets off with X-men alumni Gambit to rescue children in Sinister's underground cloning facility. As a fan of Wolverine, I love X-23, a female character along the lines of Logan that kicks butt as well as any of the other X-men.
Mina
Jun 16, 2017 Mina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#1-#3 The Killing Dream
#4-#7 Songs of The Orphan Child
Nicole
May 23, 2017 Nicole rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
idk if i'm missing something or what but i'm not into this....
John
Mar 14, 2017 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came to this because of Marjorie Liu, who does solid work that does not take me anywhere unexpected, unlike Monstress which I adored. There are a couple arcs here, one about souls and possession that interests me less, a second with Sinister that was better. The art is very nice, from the line work to the colors and inking.
  • X-23: Target X
  • Nyx: Wannabe
  • Rogue, Volume 1: Going Rogue
  • Choosing Sides (New X-Men: Academy X #1)
  • Gambit, Volume 1: Once a Thief...
  • Avengers: The Enemy Within
  • She-Hulk, Volume 1: Single Green Female
  • Psylocke
  • The Invincible Iron Man, Volume 5: Stark Resilient,  Book 1
  • Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Volume 3: Death of Spider-Man Prelude
  • X-Men, Volume 2: Muertas
  • Generation Hope: Schism
New York Times bestselling and award-winning writer Marjorie Liu is best known for her fiction and comic books. She teaches comic book writing at MIT, and she leads a class on Popular Fiction at the Voices of Our Nation (VONA) workshop.

Ms. Liu is a highly celebrated comic book writer. Her extensive work with Marvel includes the bestselling Dark Wolverine series, NYX: No Way Home, X-23, and Black
More about Marjorie M. Liu...

X-23 (9 books)
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • X-23, Vol. 3: Don't Look Back
  • X-23: The Complete Collection Vol. 1
  • X-23 : The Complete Collection Vol. 2

“The first thing you learn is how to be alone. You learn, or suffer. It is an easy lesson. You suffer more when people are around. People make you feel alone. And loneliness is a quiet wound.” 1 likes