Start by marking “X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream” as Want to Read:
X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream

X-23 - Volume 1: The Killing Dream (X-23)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  769 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Government-controlled killing machine. Child of the streets. X-Man. X-23 has lived many lives, but none of them have ever felt right. She knows she's a killer, but she's not sure she can be anything else. The X-Men offer her a home and help facing her demons, but she's done being someone's project. She wants to be her own woman, and she'll do it on her own terms. Leaving t ...more
Published November 2nd 2011 by Marvel (first published April 20th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about X-23 - Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-23 - Volume 1

Anne
This is Marjorie Liu's take on X-23, and the first solo tile I've read about the character.
I liked it!

description

Now, even though this is volume 1, this is by no means an origin story for Laura. In fact, there seems to be quite a bit of backstory to her that I'd love to find out more about. However, this does give you everything you need to get started with this story arc, so even if you've never heard of X-23, you'd be ok starting off here, I think.

It starts off with X-23 feeling isolated and ostracized a
Sesana
I kind of worked my way sideways into my interest in Laura. I'd heard of her, but wasn't inspired to look into her at all. Female clone of Wolverine? Meh. My first real exposure to her was in Kyle's X-Force. That's when she really started to grow on me. And honestly, I felt pretty bad for the kid. This ended up being a good place to pick up, set after that version of X-Force became public knowledge.

Liu does a really good job of communicating Laura's confused emotional state. She feels lonely, b
David
Sep 02, 2013 David rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Wolverine clones, goth chicks who cut themselves and are whoa tragic + mutant powerz!!!
This volume apparently is relatively late in the history of X-23, but it has a helpful summary of her history in the back, narrated by Wolverine, so now I know more or less what her story is.

The summary reminded me why I stopped reading X-Men way back when - every other issue introduces some new global conspiracy and a new recurring villain, and since villains never, ever die permanently in comics, 50 years later you have like a bazillion nemeses each of which is "The X-Men's greatest enemy!"

Any
Kristen
The art is the worst part of this book. It does match the tone of the writing, but it isn't what I'd call pretty to look at most of the time. There are different artists who worked on this so it isn't the same all throughout. Some are better than others, but generally it isn't a nice looking book. And is it just me, or is Ororo so light-skinned it's hard to tell it's her? I didn't know until Logan said her name...

But it does have good writing. There are, admittedly, some moments that are on the
Nancy O'Toole
Having recently enjoyed Chris Kyle's take on X-23's origin story, I decided to seek out some more X-23 comics. The one problem with that is Marjorie M. Liu's run begins significantly further down Laura's timeline, and the results are not always friendly to new readers. While reading The Killing Dream, I often found myself confused, and suspect I would have enjoyed the graphic novel more had I been more experienced with the series that directly preceded it (X-Force).

At the same time, even with th
Rosa
I have been hearing tons of great stuff about X-23 so when I saw the graphic novel at work I grabbed it. This volume is the beginning of X-23's standalone series but it is the beginning of her story. Right of the bat I want to say that I thought they did a great job integrating information about X-23's past into the story so that I could still follow along even though I have been out of the loop for a little while. The also provided a great summary in the back to make things even easier.

I find
Michael (Tattoogirl Reads)
What I knew about X-23 before this? Uh…? She has claws like Wolverine. Lives in the X-Men universe. The end.

What I thought? I saw Laura (that’s her name, lol, I know now) in a Guardians of the Galaxy comic and I thought she seemed stoic, yet interesting. This brought me to grab X-23: The Killing Dream. I was expecting to find a complex girl with a cool character design. I got that…but…not how I wanted it.

Laura was complex. I translate that to complex shit happened to her but I don’t know what it
Liz
3.5

I've never really been a fan of X-23. Wolverine is already Marvel's most overexposed character, and creating a teenage girl version of him reeks of gimmick. But given how hard it is to find mainstream superhero comics written by women or with a female audience at all in mind and that this series got pretty good reviews, I decided to give it a shot.

Liu has actually warmed me up to the character a bit with this volume. The comic contains two 3-issue arcs. The first, a tie-in to the 'Wolverine G
Becky
First, I am very confused as to why there are two entries for this book on Goodreads.
Second, I love this book. I love Laura. I love Gambit. I love inner demons and complex character development.
Basically:

I am still confused as to who it was that was posing as Logan. Is that guy coming back? Do we learn what was going on there?

I was kind of concerned when her villain was a female version of Mr. Sinister, but then Laura managed to kick him out of her own head. I know he's weak right now, but eve
Gavin
I'd already read Vol 2. So this seemed like a logical step...in reverse order. I really enjoyed this book. Looking at the psychological consequences of being a mindless assassin for so many years and everything it did to her, along with giving Gambit some of the best stuff he's had in years, along with a whole different dimension to Wolverine. I also like a female X-Man who's not all Tits and Ass too. Also no ridiculous love triangles and crap like that. Just good old fashioned stuff. Reminds me ...more
Brian
I really like Marjorie Liu's take on the X-23 character (I read the entire series, which is made up of 4 trades one of which is a dual trade crossover with the Daken: Dark Wolverine book Liu was co-writing with Daniel Way). I wasn't super familiar with Laura (X-23) before this book, only seeing her pop up now and again in other X-Men and Wolverine books but I was always intrigued by her. Liu does a slightly similar thing to what we saw in the old Cass Cain Batgirl books. Someone "different" who ...more
Brittney
A graphic novel written by a woman that features amazing art by Will Conrad should be impressive, but it couldn’t make me see past the large issues I had with the narrative of X-23.

X-23, a.k.a. Laura, is the teenage clone/daughter of Wolverine who was raised in a lab to be the perfect assassin. She escapes and becomes a prostitute, so naturally she has a couple issues. Unfortunately, after some bad leadership decisions from Cyclops, she no longer feels like she belongs with the X-Men. Wanting to
Michael
X-23, Laura Kinney, ist eine junge Frau, fast noch ein Mädchen, deren Probleme weit über die üblichen eines Teenagers hinausreichen. Sie ist das Produkt von Klonforschungen eines Waffenkonzerns, des Weapon X-Programms, und ab Kleinstkindalter zum Töten konditioniert worden. Später stieß sie zu den X-Men und wurde Teil der X-Force, eben jener Einheit, die entgegen den moralischen Standards anderer Superhelden-Teams auch die Tötung des Gegners als taktisches Mittel in Kauf nimmt, um ihr Ziel zu er ...more
thuy
I went into this not knowing anything about X-23. I picked it up because it was written by Marjorie Liu, a writer whose urban fantasy and paranormal romance novels I really enjoy. I was a big fan of X-Men as a teen but haven't read it in years. I'd heard good things about X-23 though and was excited to dive in.

I am not sure where this volume falls into the X-23 timeline but it's written as a good entry point for those who might be unfamiliar with the character or need a refresher course. X-23 is
Silas
I much preferred this story to the previous X-23 solo stories that I have read. It takes place in the context of other X-Men comics, but only involves a few. The main characters that are involved are Gambit (one of my favorites) and Miss Sinister. The action is interesting, and actually relates to other things in universe, which is cool, and adds some complexity to X-23 beyond her being an emotionless killing machine (though it does start there, since that is her thing). I enjoyed the sort of De ...more
Andrew
Why on Earth would someone start a new X-23 series with a confusing tie-in to Wolverine, Vol. 1: Wolverine Goes to Hell? Chris Kyle's previous X-23 volumes were fantastic. This is mediocre at best.

The first 3 issues are related to Wolverine's excursion to Hell and how some demon goes after X-23. I thought it was boring. The remaining 3 issues have X-23 team up with Gambit because clearly X-23 isn't interesting enough by herself. (But she is!)

If you missed Kyle's stories, X-Force or the other tie
Gary Butler
48th book read in 2012.

Number 113 out of 280 on my all time book list.

Follow the link below to see my video review:

Craig
This is a nicely written and pretty well illustrated graphic novel, the first in a run by Marjorie Liu featuring X-23, aka Laura-clone-of-Logan. Since it's a volume one I expected to be able to pick up on everything and know what was happening and who was who all along, but was frequently blind-sided by events and characters and developments from other books that left me baffled. There is a very good five page recap of and introduction to the character at the end of this book, which would have b ...more
Chantaal
Can't get any better than the pairing of Marjorie M. Liu and X-23.

Well, maybe Jonathan Hickman/any comic character ever, but you catch my drift.
Sonic
Had flashes of brilliance in the art and the writing, but over all ...

pfff.
Igorina
I really wanted to like this book more than I did. I had trouble getting past Miss Sinister being dressed in an outfit that appeared to be little more than underwear when her male alter-ego got to be covered from the neck down. Also I'm never crazy about reading a comic and finding that most of the storyline or backstory happens in several other series. I don't want to spend time on wiki just to understand the graphic novel I picked up.
Holden Attradies
This was the first thing I read with X-23 in it. Gotta say, I'm liking the character. I was sorta lost through some of this story, not having read any of her stuff before, but by then I felt I understood what was going on.
Elisa The-Bookie-Monster
So I grabbed this thinking it's the first in the series, that there wouldn't be a back story, or much of one. There are references to her past which kind of left me confused, but overall I really enjoyed this book
Adam Bogert
This isn't bad. But it's not great, either. I'm not sure if that's all Liu's fault though (I'd have to compare more of her work with Kyle/Yost's than just X-23).

I think the real issue is that this is an ongoing, and fails to pack the emotional punch of the tightly-scripted miniseries that preceded it. There are some interesting ideas here, and I've always wanted to see more of Gambit, but I feel like for the most part what happens in these pages is just a little dull.

Like I said: not bad, not gr
Jasmine
Some Marvel writers do the characters so PERFECTLY that it makes you feel like you're meeting friends again. (Friends you want to hug, or slap, or watch from a safe distance— some characters are not safe people, we all know this.) I didn't get that from this run. I actually had to go back two issues and re-read, because I had mixed up Storm with Emma Frost (a thing that should NEVER happen. Oh my god the art director needs to be taken out and shouted at). However, you know what I got from this r ...more
Naomi
My sister was kind enough to pick me up two comic books when she went shopping, so special thanks to her!

X-23 has to be one of my favorite superheroes and I have to say I enjoy reading her comics and I love the drawing style used in them. I think I need a regular book with a character like X-23, I'm tired of the girls always being so dependent on guys, I need someone like X-23 who's independent and just trying to find her own way. Heck, I just don't want the guy to keep saving the main girl.

I wa
Geppis Baltimore
I enjoyed the writing in the book a lot. X-23 is an underrated character. I recommend this to to those who enjoy Wolverine comics, and also those who enjoy YA novels.
Jedhua
My Brief Bookshelf Overview: gave-up-before-finishing, grim, mature, steady-storytelling-style, story-not-intriguing-enough
Joy
I wanted to like this more than I ended up actually liking it. Liu makes a valiant effort to provide backstory and context for new readers, but it wasn't enough for me (most of what I know about the X-Men comes from Wikipedia articles and the old cartoon). Also, there are way too many artists in this particular seq-art kitchen. I don't always dislike works with multiple pencilers, but the constant switches here were frustrating: Laura looks like a different person every few pages, and the consta ...more
Rob
The parts I liked were those least related to the x-men storyline. Gambit was a good team up for X-23, and I'm glad the writer put those two together, but the overall storyline was just sort of ok. Great 1978 Hulk moment with X-23 trying to walk away from her carnage alone down the desert roads, but the rest of it was meh.
  • X-23: Target X
  • Nyx: Wannabe
  • She-Hulk, Vol. 1: Single Green Female
  • Wolverine and Jubilee: Curse of the Mutants
  • Avengers: The Enemy Within
  • New X-Men: Academy X, Vol. 1: Choosing Sides
  • Gambit, Vol. 1: Once A Thief...
  • Generation Hope: The Future's a Four-Lettered Word

• X-23 (2010) #1
  • Daken/X-23: Collision
  • X-23, Vol. 2: Chaos Theory
  • X-23, Vol. 3: Don't Look Back
The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss #1) Tiger Eye (Dirk & Steele,  #1) Black Widow: The Name of the Rose Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2) Shadow Touch (Dirk & Steele,  #2)