Two Cool Cows

Two Cool Cows

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When Millie and Maud, two cool cows from the Huckabuck farm, decide to do some late-night jumping to the far side of the moon, the Huckabuck kids -- Kate, Doug, Daisy, and Spoon -- chase after, wondering if they'll ever see their new black button-back boots again! Rollicking verse breathes new life into a time-honored nursery rhyme, and answers the age-old question: Just w...more
Published November 10th 1997 by Puffin (first published May 9th 1995)

Elaine
Family favorite to read aloud
Jay Bushara
From the creators of the equally delirious Brave Potatoes come Millie and Maude, "over the hills of Hillimadoon and Willimadoon and Ratamadoon and Hatamadeen" - if your brain starts to fog over at pronunciation like this, then Two Cool Cows is probably not for you. On the bright side, they do steal off with children's cowboy boots just because, wear shades, and go clubbing on the moon. Hey diddle diddle. Everyone needs to blow off some steam.
Susan Seaman
My favorite read-aloud book, but it's not much of a "read to yourself" book. I saw it several times before I read it to my kids and discovered the music in the words. I have a friend who asked me to read it to him when he was in his twenties. There's just something about it. It's kind of hard to find, but worth it.
Seth
PB:42 Two Cool Cows. I really did not get into this book at all especially from the start. I do like the rhyming words, which can be quite challenging to children. The illustrationsmade this book, not the story. This is more so a read aloud book to children because when you read it to yourself it is quite boring.
Savannah
This story plays off of the nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle". Its a an interesting story about 2 cows that plan to jump over the moon. You may have students that have never heard the nursery rhyme before so you might want to introduce it to them first but either way its still an entertaining story.
Taylor Bennett
I didn't really get into this book. Reading it by yourself it is boring. I didn't really see the point of the story, the illustrations are what made this book exciting. The one thing i did like was the use of rhyming words and that with the words it went to the tune of "hey diddle diddle."
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a29, ar-2
AR Quiz No. 26727 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
C
Sep 17, 2008 C rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to C by: found in the library!
Shelves: children-s
Another family favorite. The rhymes in this book are just perfect and amazing. The rhythm of it makes it a joy to read aloud. And the illustrations are so fabulous. And then there is actually a good story line, too, happy and oddly poignant and mysteriously hopeful.
Gloria
Ellen gave us this book when it first came out; it was so nice to have a children's book that had such fun rhyming word play. Our boys both really enjoyed it when they were little, but I will admit I don't know if they recall it now.
Alyce Dougan
I admired the rhymes in this book as well as the two cool cow’s sense of style. Children will like this book too especially if there are familiar with the 'Hey Diddle Diddle Nursery Rhyme'. This story would be a great read aloud.
Michael Jones
if this one is red with a good sense of rhythm and tempo, it can be an awesome bedtime poem! It's all in the way you read it, but the pictures definitely make you think of the moon and cows some of the kids favorite things.
Bethann
I enjoyed reading this book. It is an excellent choice to read to children because of the rhyming words. Some children tend to pick up on the rhymes easily. The story is also a child favorite.
Roy
I enjoy reading this book to my daughter as much as she loves hearing it read to her, maybe a little more. Definitely stands out from the pack of children's lit.
the Reeds
The story just didn't flow smoothly. I'm not sure what kind of story this is meant to be. It was like a bedtime story told in freeform.
Sharlene Spencer
Cool cows on the moon? Read about a night time escapade on the moon. Made connections to the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle.
Jenny Forgay
Great to use when working with nursery rhymes and rhyming. Also a good book to use when working on word choice.
Rita
This is another pre-school and up book. It's just poetic and cute, a very unique book.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
There's two cool cows and they took eight black boots from a family. T.R.
Ronna
Cows on the other side of the moon.
Marilyn
Read it with the Christmas Cows books.
Erin
Erin added it
Jul 01, 2014
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Alicia Cheang
Alicia Cheang marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the author of children's books, mysteries and other fun word formations. DEATH OVER EASY, my first murder mystery, is out in October 2013 from Five Star, and I am working on book #2 in the series.

My short story, "At the Corner of Night and Nowhere," is included in an anthology called MOON SHOT: MURDER AND MAYHEM ON THE EDGE OF SPACE, forthcoming from Untreed Reads. I also write poetry. I will...more
More about Toby Speed...
Brave Potatoes Death Over Easy Water Voices Whoosh! Went the Wish Hattie Baked a Wedding Cake