Start by marking “Two Cool Cows” as Want to Read:
Two Cool Cows

Two Cool Cows

When Millie and Maud, two cool cows from the Huckabuck farm, decide to do some late-night jumping to the far side of the moon, the Huckabuck kids -- Kate, Doug, Daisy, and Spoon -- chase after, wondering if they'll ever see their new black button-back boots again! Rollicking verse breathes new life into a time-honored nursery rhyme, and answers the age-old question: Just w ...more
Published November 10th 1997 by Puffin (first published May 9th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Two Cool Cows, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kim Vu
Mar 24, 2015 Kim Vu rated it really liked it
Two Cool Cows, by Toby Speed, is an adorable twist on the nursery rhyme of the Cow Jumps Over the Moon. But in this version, two cool cows named Millie and Maude run off in the children's boots and their sweet shades to jump to the moon. They eat and play on their little vacation, but eventually come home and dance with the children all night long.

This book is definitely one to be read aloud, its filled with silly words and onomatopoeia. It is also written with a rhythmic bounce as it plays on
Anna Baize
Mar 22, 2015 Anna Baize rated it really liked it
Two Cool Cows by Toby Speed takes the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle and creates a fun, extended story from it. The Cows, Millie and Maude, have stolen boots from the Huckabuck kids, Kate, Doug, Doug, Daisy, and Spoon, and they take the boots to jump over the moon. After a night doing the bunny hop and having a good time on the moon with all the other cows they have to rush back to the Huckabuck farm before morning. They make it back and are happy on the farm with the Huckabuck kids.

This story
Wyatt Fessenden
Mar 01, 2015 Wyatt Fessenden rated it really liked it
Two Cool Cows by Toby Speed is a sort of fractured fairy tale that plays off of the Hey Diddle Diddle nursery rhyme. It shows the journey of the "two cool, too cool cows," Millie and Maude. They have to go on an adventure to get to the moon and back over it before the sun rises and the moon sets. It is and exciting take on the nursery rhyme that is super entertaining.

One textual element that was really amusing in the book is the rhyming. There are so many whimsical words that make the book exc
Meg McGregor
Oct 16, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it liked it
The verse is fun and will hold a little one's attention; but it is the illustrations that really make this book as fun as it is.

I wish I could live on the moon if it looks as wonderful as these pictures depict it to be!
Christian Lyles
Sep 25, 2014 Christian Lyles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edrd314
I personally really liked this book just because it was a funny subject and children love the animals that live on farms.
Alysha DeShaé
Oct 19, 2014 Alysha DeShaé rated it really liked it
Just a silly story about cows. :-)
Elaine
Feb 03, 2014 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Family favorite to read aloud
Jay Bushara
Feb 13, 2013 Jay Bushara rated it really liked it
From the creators of the equally delirious Brave Potatoes come Millie and Maude, "over the hills of Hillimadoon and Willimadoon and Ratamadoon and Hatamadeen" - if your brain starts to fog over at pronunciation like this, then Two Cool Cows is probably not for you. On the bright side, they do steal off with children's cowboy boots just because, wear shades, and go clubbing on the moon. Hey diddle diddle. Everyone needs to blow off some steam.
Susan Seaman
Oct 29, 2009 Susan Seaman rated it it was amazing
My favorite read-aloud book, but it's not much of a "read to yourself" book. I saw it several times before I read it to my kids and discovered the music in the words. I have a friend who asked me to read it to him when he was in his twenties. There's just something about it. It's kind of hard to find, but worth it.
Seth
Nov 15, 2012 Seth rated it liked it
PB:42 Two Cool Cows. I really did not get into this book at all especially from the start. I do like the rhyming words, which can be quite challenging to children. The illustrationsmade this book, not the story. This is more so a read aloud book to children because when you read it to yourself it is quite boring.
Savannah
This story plays off of the nursery rhyme "Hey Diddle Diddle". Its a an interesting story about 2 cows that plan to jump over the moon. You may have students that have never heard the nursery rhyme before so you might want to introduce it to them first but either way its still an entertaining story.
Taylor Bennett
Dec 04, 2013 Taylor Bennett rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-302
I didn't really get into this book. Reading it by yourself it is boring. I didn't really see the point of the story, the illustrations are what made this book exciting. The one thing i did like was the use of rhyming words and that with the words it went to the tune of "hey diddle diddle."
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: ar-2, a29
AR Quiz No. 26727 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.8 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
C
Sep 17, 2008 C rated it it was amazing
Recommended to C by: found in the library!
Shelves: children-s
Another family favorite. The rhymes in this book are just perfect and amazing. The rhythm of it makes it a joy to read aloud. And the illustrations are so fabulous. And then there is actually a good story line, too, happy and oddly poignant and mysteriously hopeful.
Gloria
Oct 07, 2008 Gloria rated it really liked it
Ellen gave us this book when it first came out; it was so nice to have a children's book that had such fun rhyming word play. Our boys both really enjoyed it when they were little, but I will admit I don't know if they recall it now.
Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 Alyce Dougan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I admired the rhymes in this book as well as the two cool cow’s sense of style. Children will like this book too especially if there are familiar with the 'Hey Diddle Diddle Nursery Rhyme'. This story would be a great read aloud.
Michael Jones
Dec 28, 2011 Michael Jones rated it really liked it
if this one is red with a good sense of rhythm and tempo, it can be an awesome bedtime poem! It's all in the way you read it, but the pictures definitely make you think of the moon and cows some of the kids favorite things.
Bethann
Nov 15, 2011 Bethann rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. It is an excellent choice to read to children because of the rhyming words. Some children tend to pick up on the rhymes easily. The story is also a child favorite.
Roy
May 12, 2008 Roy rated it it was amazing
I enjoy reading this book to my daughter as much as she loves hearing it read to her, maybe a little more. Definitely stands out from the pack of children's lit.
Jami
May 20, 2008 Jami rated it did not like it
Shelves: bedtime-stories
The story just didn't flow smoothly. I'm not sure what kind of story this is meant to be. It was like a bedtime story told in freeform.
Sharlene Spencer
Nov 11, 2009 Sharlene Spencer rated it it was ok
Cool cows on the moon? Read about a night time escapade on the moon. Made connections to the nursery rhyme Hey Diddle Diddle.
Jenny Forgay
Apr 14, 2010 Jenny Forgay rated it really liked it
Great to use when working with nursery rhymes and rhyming. Also a good book to use when working on word choice.
Rita
Apr 24, 2008 Rita rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, picture-books
This is another pre-school and up book. It's just poetic and cute, a very unique book.
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
There's two cool cows and they took eight black boots from a family. T.R.
Ronna
Apr 24, 2009 Ronna rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cows on the other side of the moon.
Marilyn
Dec 10, 2011 Marilyn rated it liked it
Read it with the Christmas Cows books.
Jill
Sep 28, 2011 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

funny
Sheila Flatley
Sheila Flatley rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2016
Sarah added it
Aug 29, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm the author of children's books, mysteries and other fun word formations. DEATH OVER EASY, my first murder mystery, is out in October 2013 from Five Star, and I am working on book #2 in the series.

My short story, "At the Corner of Night and Nowhere," is included in an anthology called MOON SHOT: MURDER AND MAYHEM ON THE EDGE OF SPACE, forthcoming from Untreed Reads. I also write poetry. I will
More about Toby Speed...