Start by marking “Claim of Innocence (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Claim of Innocence (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #4)

Claim of Innocence (Izzy McNeil Mystery #4)

Forbidden relationships are the most tempting. And the most dangerous.

It was a crime of passion—or so the police say. Valerie Solara has been charged with poisoning her best friend. The prosecution claims she's always been secretly attracted to Amanda's husband…and with Amanda gone, she planned to make her move.

Attorney Izzy McNeil left the legal world a year ago, but a fr
Published August 23rd 2011 by Mira (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Claim of Innocence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claim of Innocence

Kathy
Apr 14, 2012 Kathy rated it liked it
Cocktails and Books
Izzy McMeil has returned to the world of Law after having left it a year ago. When her friend, Maggie, calls her and urgently tells her she needs her help on a case, she rushes to her aide. When she meets up with Maggie, it's to find out she needs Izzy's help with a criminal case involving a woman who's been accused of murdering her best friend. So Izzy, who's only tried civil cases, signs up to help Maggie co-defend their client.

Just as Izzy's about to jump, feet first, into the case, her ex-f
Lori
Oct 04, 2011 Lori rated it liked it
Shelves: legal-thrillers
I love a good legal mystery and if the mystery comes with a hero or heroine that I really like and it has a good personal drama and/or romance thrown in, I am there. Claim of Innocence by Laura Caldwell delivered. It is a solid legal mystery with strong characters and addictive writing.

This was my first novel by Ms. Caldwell and she did not disappoint. Despite Claim of Innocence being the fourth installment of the Izzy McNeil series, and the first that I have read, I was easily able to pick up t
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

A mixture of a trial in criminal court and the trials in Izzy O’Neil’s personal life creates a feeling of “Is anyone really innocent?”.

Izzy, a lawyer once again working, finds criminal court different from civil court where she had worked before. Like her personal life, her professional life has taken a new road. She likes the change and the challenge, yet, she is reluctant to turn loose the past connections. As the reader travels the
Sep 07, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I was a twenty-five pages or so into this book and wondering why I felt I'd been dropped into the middle of something... and then I realized that I had been dropped into the middle of a series and the publicist failed to mention that before I agreed to review this. I am not a fan of reading books out of order when it comes to a series, and although the prior books weren't necessary to the plot, I still felt like I wasn't getting as much out of the personal relationships between the characters as ...more
Deborah Sloan
Sep 19, 2011 Deborah Sloan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Attorney Izzy McNeil thought she had left the legal world behind her until called in on a case by a friend and fellow attorney needing help on a difficult case. For Valerie Solara the charges of murdering her best friend must be faced. She hopes her attorneys can figure things out in time without her revealing too much. Protecting her daughter is more important than being free. As it would be for most of us. Protecting our children comes first. Protecting them from predators like Amanda’s husban
Wendy Hines
Jul 01, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it really liked it
Izzy hasn't practiced law in quite a while, but with the call of help from her best friend, Maggie Bristol, Izzy was back in the courtroom. Maggie is defending Valerie Solara, a woman accused of poisoning her best friend. Valerie swears she is innocent, but Izzy feels she is hiding something.

Maggie's father, Martin, is the lead on the case but is feeling poorly. He decides to rest at home now that Izzy is on the case. Izzy wants to know if Valerie is innocent or guilty but Maggie states it doesn
Sian
Jan 01, 2012 Sian rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
A woman is on trial for murdering her best friend and Izzy McNeil has been drafted in to help with the case. But she is a woman who likes answers and facts and starts delving into who did do this murder and what is Valerie the woman on trial hiding.

I didnt realise this was a second in the series for the character of Izzy McNeil.
And to be honest it did throw me. There are a lot of references to what happened in the previous book and as someone who hadn't read the previous book I got confused in t
Kiki
Aug 14, 2011 Kiki rated it really liked it
A good story, “Claim of Innocence” was that, a very well-told tale of a courtroom murder trial and a lawyer rediscovering herself on many professional and personal levels. It had all of the layers: an edgy job, deep friendships, complicated family matters, and messy romances. Along with all of that, it had those few tidbits, more strings I would say, thrown continually at the reader, the hints of what is tying all of the plot lines together, what was really going on. All of these elements ...more
Johnsergeant
Mar 08, 2014 Johnsergeant rated it really liked it
Narrated by: Nancy Liem

Length: 11 hrs and 46 mins

Series: Izzy McNeil, Book 4

Publisher's Summary

Forbidden relationships are the most tempting. And the most dangerous.

It was a crime of passion—or so the police say. Valerie Solara has been charged with poisoning her best friend. The prosecution claims she's always been secretly attracted to Amanda's husband… and with Amanda gone, she planned to make her move.
Attorney Izzy McNeil left the legal world a year ago, but a friend's request pulls her int
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: August 23, 2011 (Available Now!)
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Mira
Author’s Website: www.lauracaldwell.com
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes
Series Best Read In Order: YES
Steam Level: Warm

Overall, this wasn’t actually the type of story I typically seek out. While the mystery was incredible — tons of nuances and hints to pick up on, as well as some very lovely unexpected twists —
Dawn
Dec 07, 2013 Dawn rated it really liked it
At first I was thinking I'd give this three stars because I hadn't read the other books in the series and it seems like they are very relevant to this story. But then I realized it's my fault I haven't read them, not the author's, and she actually does do a good job of filling in the back story from the previous books. I didn't feel lost from not having read the others. But the information she gave about the events from the other books really made me want to read them. I enjoyed this one a lot. ...more
Chanpreet
Jan 02, 2012 Chanpreet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I sort of jumped the gun on this one after seeing Laura Caldwell's name as the author. I must sheepishly admit I haven't read the previous Izzy McNeil books, so I was more than a little lost at any references to past events and developments. But the suspense and mystery more than made up for my confusion.

Once you think you've got it all figured out, Laura Caldwell comes with a new turn events that upsets everything you thought you knew and has you starting all over again. There are so many char
Jane
Jul 26, 2011 Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a solid legal mystery and marks the return of Caldwell's
protagonist Izzy McNeil to the legal arena. Izzy had been on a bit of
a hiatus when it comes to practicing law but is drawn back in and is
acting for the defense in a criminal trial for the first time. Her
friend is about to go to trial in defense of a woman accused of
poisoning her best friend. Though Izzy hasn't done criminal defense
she agrees to help with the case. She is having a tough time because
it bothers her that she doesn't kno
Patt
Nov 11, 2013 Patt rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
This is book #4 in Caldwell's Izzy McNeil series. I have thoroughly enjoyed all four! Izzy has been away from her law career for about a year when this book begins. She is still in a bit of confusion in her personal life. When her friend, Maggie, needs help with a criminal case, Izzy agrees to co-chair, even though criminal cases are not her usual forte.
An interesting case develops involving Valerie's being accused of murdering her best friend. The interesting twists in the plot keep you readin
Star
Jul 15, 2016 Star rated it really liked it
In Claim of Innocence, Izzy McNeil is drawn back into practicing law by a colleague who is defending a woman accused of poisoning her best friend. But no case is ever black and white. Now Izzy is in a race to find the truth behind Amanda's murder. Who is Valerie so desperate to protect that she's willing to give up her freedom?

I'd never read any of the other books in the Izzy McNeil Series, but I didn't feel like I missed a lot. I enjoyed the interplay between characters and while some of the pu
Kerry  sullivan
This book is deceptive, it is a slow story and creeps along and makes you care about what's going on. It a tangled web the plot of this story but intriguing to the max. It is like a giant puzzle with a who done it thrown in. Everyone life is changing for different reasons and boy was the end satisfying. I will admit that at one point my skin was crawling as I thought the Zavy was going to walk away, but it all came together skilfully. This book is a masterpiece and a shining example of what a ...more
Joe Caplinger
Jan 12, 2012 Joe Caplinger rated it liked it
I picked this book up not realizing it was the 4th book in a series so I think I might have liked the book a lot better had I read the previous books and built a bond with the characters. I felt like most the way through the book they spent a lot of time with the characters and their conflict outside of the legal realm of the book. For instance the struggles between the ex-fiancee and current boyfriend and the relationship between the character and her split parents. The legal portion of the ...more
Kristina
Oct 10, 2015 Kristina rated it really liked it
I dunno, I gave this book four stars because it was an ok read. I enjoyed the characters and the story seemed to move smoothly along. I kinda got annoyed when Izzy kept bringing up Sam. It was enough is enough already. Move on or get together. Other than that I thought that this was an ok read. Not my favorite book, but if you like courtroom dramas this is a book for you.
Judy
Jul 13, 2015 Judy rated it liked it
Good story with a twist, good court descriptions (just enough). Since I started in the middle of the series I wasn't up-to-date with Izzie's love life but easy to figure out.
A woman is accused of poisoning her friend and goes on trial for her murder.
The story moves quickly and keeps you interested. I'll go back and read the series from the beginning.
Rita
Nov 27, 2011 Rita rated it liked it
I enjoyed the book. It kept me interested and was a nice story. It wasn't a book that kept me hopping though. The story was good. I have just read some extremely different books lately that have kept me on my toes and in suspense that I had to rate it average. It still was a great book to read. Rita
Becky
Feb 23, 2016 Becky rated it really liked it
Izzy is back in the courtroom! Enjoyed the court scenes, Izzy isn't bond chasing in this one. Enjoyed her for being her, as well as the sub characters. Was worried it was going to be different than the "Red Hot" books, but still a great series, and will continue on!
MacKenzie
May 18, 2012 MacKenzie rated it it was amazing
Laura Caldwell just keeps getting better! I loved this book and all the extra twists and turns. Even if I hadn't meet her and loved her down to earth personality I would still say this is an awesome read!
Sheryl
Jun 27, 2015 Sheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
I really enjoyed this series and look forward to the others. There is just something that got me hooked on Izzy and I do miss her. I wish I read the books closer together, but when I started reading it feel into place.
3.5/5
My full review may be read on my book review blog Rundpinne.
Ali
Oct 18, 2011 Ali rated it really liked it
I really like these Izzy McNeil lawyer mysteries and I'm not typically a court room drama kind of reader. There's definitely a female angle to these that appeals to me. This is the fourth book in the series and I think it might be my favorite - it kept me up late at night reading.
Readers Roundtable
Aug 23, 2011 Readers Roundtable rated it really liked it
4.5 Gold Crowns. In Claim of Innocence, Laura Caldwell weaves a complex tale of friendship, murder and betrayal. To read this review in its entirety, please visit http://thereadersroundtable.com/myste...
Jackie
Apr 05, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_2012
I would recommend this book to people who enjoy mysteries and Chicago literature. There is something appealing about the Izzy McNeil character. Lizzie is a lawyer who solves mysteries through her cases. The Izzy McNeil books are a good summer read.
Petra
Dec 30, 2011 Petra rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one and I hope more will follow to this interesting idea. This story would make a very interesting movie for sure. All the characters, twists and turns and the author keeps you interested at all times.
Lisa
Sep 20, 2015 Lisa rated it it was ok
I was so tired of the main character and her dithering with her problems with men. It was difficult to pick out the main plot with all the drama of her love-life! I almost quit reading it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dealing Her Final Card (Princes Untamed, #1)
  • Dark Secrets (Arcane, #2)
  • Night After Night (The Reliance Group, #2)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • To Touch a Sheikh (Pride of Zohayd, #3)
  • Endless Night
  • A Novel Seduction
  • The Paris Secret
  • Dangerous Secrets
  • Final Exit
  • The Naked Truth (The Confederacy Treaty, #2)
  • Much Ado About Rogues (Blackthorn Brothers, #3)
  • Blackout
  • Jaq's Harp (Future Tales, #1)
  • Viper's Kiss (McCormack Security Agency, #1)
  • The Lost (Sin Hunters, #3)
  • In Dark Waters
  • Laird of Darkness
Laura Caldwell is a Chicago-based lawyer turned novelist. Her first book, Burning the Map, was selected by Barnes & Noble.com as one of The Best of 2002. Following that, A Clean Slate received a starred review from Booklist. The release of The Year of Living Famously and The Night I Got Lucky prompted Booklist to declare, “Caldwell is one of the most talented and inventive...writers around.”

La
More about Laura Caldwell...

Izzy McNeil Mystery (6 books)
  • Red Hot Lies (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #1)
  • Red Blooded Murder (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #2)
  • Red, White & Dead (An Izzy McNeil Mystery #3)
  • Question of Trust (An Izzy McNeil Mystery, #5)
  • False Impressions