Start by marking “Slim to None” as Want to Read:
Slim to None

Slim to None

No sport has gone through the seismic changes that rocked tennis when the game, long a holdout against professionalism and creeping commercialism, abandoned its roots as a genteel, amateurs-only enterprise and became a pro sport, vying for the heart of the public with rivals like soccer, NFL football, or NBA basketball.
Peter Bodo, who has covered tennis since the dawn of
Published October 18th 2010 by Diversion Books (first published April 27th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Slim to None, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slim to None

Mary Maffer
Heather
Oct 10, 2011 Heather rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic, kindle
I thought I'd like this much more than I did. But the CONSTANT self-deprecating fat jokes were exhausting. A few, sure, but they were honestly nearly every page and I just got sick of it.

Abbie occasionally seemed to get a little bit of a clearer mind and be more aware of herself and her situation but then she'd be right back into eating baklava and claiming to herelf it was a white food so it was okay, and for me it actually made the few times when she seemed sympathetic and intelligent more dif
Fiona (Titch) Hunt
I was given a copy of this via Netgalley in exchange for my review. Well what can I say from a book that has recipes, love, heartache, loads of JOY and LAUGHTER from a new to me author.

Abigail Jennings is a Food Critic with a difference. Her love of food comes from her grandmother. So what exactly did that PAGE SIX picture reveal? Well it revealed loads of things for Abbie to contemplate on her life. What happened over the years will all be revealed with recipes along the way.

I've loved every s
Christine
* I received this ebook at no charge from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. *

Abbie Jennings loves three things in life; her job as a restaurant critic, cooking and her husband, quite possibly in that order. Of course, being a restaurant critic requires being able to dine incognito so she gets the “regular customer” dining experience. And, being a restaurant critic also involves copious amounts of food being placed in front of her on a regular basis – and for Abbie – that equals an expa
Molli
Oct 25, 2011 Molli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I paid 99 cents for this. It was just OK. I am hoping a few of the recipes will be the saving grace. I bought it for Kindle, and there were A LOT of editing errors. It drove me nuts that they would switch from Abbie to Abby back to Abbie. They also had a chapter of calling Mortie, Mordie.

If anyone wants to read it, I can loan on Kindle.

Brittan Culclasure
I could not even finish this book. I tried, I really did but it was like reading a cook book. So so so boring. There didn't seem to be a plot at all and the character was just wallowing in self-pity. Definitely do not understand the 4 star rating everyone gives this book.
Ana
I was really torn about rating this one. I'd say it's more of a 2.5 read, but I'm gonna round it because I loved the ending.
The story is centered around Abby, who works as a food critic. She's got an awesome job, right? Of course, eating all day for the sake of reviewing restaurants means she's got some extra pounds, but then again, eating is basically her job...oh, yeah and writing about food.
She loves her job! I mean, of course, who wouldn't, eating in all these fancy restaurants. But one day
Isabella
Dec 27, 2011 Isabella rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When the New York Post’s highly acclaimed and overweight food critic Abby(ie) loses her job for being found out on the cover of Page Six, she’s advised to drop (A LOT OF) weight to reclaim her job. How is she supposed to do that if food is all she knows, even stemming back to her childhood? Through Abby(ie)’s journey of losing weight, **POSSIBLE SPOILER** almost losing her husband, and finding out that she has a half-sister **END POSSIBLE SPOILER**, her self-esteem begins to grow, and she begins ...more
Katherine Cowley
An enjoyable book that I breezed through, Slim to None features a food critic who loses her job because she's so overweight that she's instantly recognizable.

This book is all about food metaphors, puns, and descriptions, so I'll frame my review in that way. This book is like a cupcake that you buy from the cute, chic, cupcake shop on the corner. It's adorable, it tastes good, you eat it quickly--including the excess frosting. There's a certain satisfaction to biting into that pure, easy-to-chew
Christy
Jan 29, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I also bought this book as a kindle DOD, and was eager to read it. This was one that I zoomed through fairly quickly. A lot of people that have read this book are down-putting about all the depreciating fat jokes and comments that Abby makes about herself. Well, hello, she's fat!! I know from experience (past and present) that when you are presently fat -before you finally get off your a** and do something about it- you tend to put yourself down mentally and out loud on a fairly regular bas ...more
Joelle
Jul 28, 2011 Joelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbie Jennings has it all...the perfect job as food critic for the NY Sentinel, a loving husband and a sweet furbaby. But what happens when your world comes crashing down on you because you enjoyed your job just a little too much?!?

This book really could not have "fallen" into my hands at a better time. While I've not been faced with losing my job, my husband needing a break or finding out I have siblings I never knew, I am faced with that 4 letter word that no woman wants to hear...diet. While
Kelly Mcdonough
Dec 10, 2011 Kelly Mcdonough rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can see the continuing eductation assignment sheet now: Take a novel that you've just read (Garlic and Saphires)and put your own spin on it.... assignment 2: add conflict; assignment 3: add subplots. This is the most poorly written book I've ever read. The plot is transparent, the food analogies are weak and forced, the conflicts magically and instantly resolved. I am shocked that this got published, more shocked to find the author has other published novels. If you haven't read it yet, buy Ga ...more
Lenore Kosinski
Oct 18, 2011 Lenore Kosinski rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pixel-of-ink, kindle
Actually a 4.5 stars. This book started out and I wasn't sure I was going to appreciate it....the fat jokes came across harsh, and I wasn't sure what the angle of the book was. But I ended up getting sucked right in.... Love the Abster. So much thought-provoking stuff.... A heroine with definite flaws, but you rooted for her... I cried a lot. Yeah....apparently I'm not feeling sentence complete-ish today.
Katie Thigpen
Dec 02, 2011 Katie Thigpen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very easy, fun read. I loved that there were recipes between the chapters. Several of them looked yummy and not too difficult. As a food lover myself, this book was a fun look at a food lover trying to diet.
Danielle (is feeling overwhelmed)
This was a sweet book, I enjoyed the story and the addition of the recipes between chapters was very welcome, albeit not for the waistline. Overall, the story fell a little flat in places and I felt like skimming but the premise was interesting.
Elizabeth
This book wasn't great. I liked the moral part of the ending the most... I was disappointed to say the least...
Susan
Aug 24, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know it's silly, but a misspelling on page 112 really bugged me: commodian instead of comedian. Really jarring and took me out of the story.
Heather
I would have liked to read more about the actual progression of the main character's development. The Kindle edition had quite a few typos/editing errors. Overall, it was okay.
Brenda
Dec 27, 2011 Brenda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I do not recommend this book. The author goes way overboard on the food analogies
Rita B
Jan 07, 2017 Rita B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading about someone who has a weight problem and feels insecure about it. Journeys people go through are one of my favorite topics. It is also good when a husband loves his wife no matter what she looks like. I also enjoy when those who play dirty y for a job get taken down a peg.
Olivia
Jan 02, 2017 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was an entertaining and fun, quick read!
Gaele
Mar 19, 2015 Gaele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
My first encounter with this author, and this foodie coming to grips story was engaging, if difficult at times. And the whole reason for the difficulty was Abbie herself. A food critic, she has thrown her entire being into food, and found herself in the midst of a crisis.

Outed as a food critic at a new spot, then photos splashed over all the newspapers in town, Abbie is unable to continue critique, as a large portion of that position requires on her anonymity. So, without her dream job and gros
Jun 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: food-lit, ebook
You may have noticed I'm on a Food-lit kick as of late.  Author Jenny Gardiner did, and suggested her book, Slim to None.  Of course, I purchased it immediately.

Abbie Jennings is not at home in her own skin which made it hard for me to be comfortable with her.  No doubt, weight is a sensitive subject for most women, but that's not what made me uncomfortable.  (For me, the person I see in my head is not the same as the one in the mirror... but I am fitting into some clothes I haven't worn in a wh
Andrea
Jun 20, 2012 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I went on an extreme reading binge this summer and at the top of my list : read as many Jenny Gardiner books as I could without breaking the bank. Mission accomplished. One of my first reads on this list was Slim to None. I struggled with my rating for this book but ultimately settled with 4 stars. I really did like the book and not just for the recipes and delicious food I could almost taste through my digital screen. As an adult woman who has struggled with weight gain, well the gain has never ...more
Anita
Dec 23, 2016 Anita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have now read two books by Jenny and am becoming a true fan. Slim to None is a good read that made me really think of our obsessions with weight in our world today. I hate my weight and can be obsessive. I liked how Jenny wrote about how something like weight, can really impact lives.
Cheryl
Nov 02, 2011 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humorous
This is a light, humorous slice of gingerbread with whipped cream topping.

Not really. The food and recipes I salivated over throughout my reading brought up this metaphor, but it's still pretty apt. Not quite chick lit and not quite women's fiction, the story kind of straddles the two.

Abbie, the overweight heroine, loses her job as a newspaper food critic because she's gotten so fat the restaurant owners recognize her. The editor puts her on a temporary part-time column and gives her an ultimatu
Jac (For Love and Books)
I grabbed Slim to None on Amazon this past week, it popped up on the "People who bought htis also bought..." list, I liked the idea of a food critic going on a diet, and it was cheap. My perfect combination! *lol* And it was a pretty good, quick and fluffy read.

There was so much I liked about Abbie, she was a great main character with a great personality and a good job. And I suppose, in many ways she was realistic - and that may have been just what I didn't like about her. I didn't like that
Jennifer Murphy
May 28, 2013 Jennifer Murphy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who does constantly have those internal battles between good food versus diet and exercise?

Jenny Gardiner introduces us to Abbie Jennings, a famous NY food critic, who gets ousted from her job. In order to get her job back, she must lose weight. But how can she do that when she loves food so much?

Not only is her dream job in jeopardy (she's be relegated to writing a weekly column) but her home front is in trouble. Abbie's husband loves her the way she is, whatever size, but is tired of taking a
Tiffany
Feb 23, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This Review and others can be found on my blog: http://talkwordy2me.blogspot.com/

Slim to None by Jenny Gardiner is a book about Abbie Jennings who happens to love her job as a top Food Critic. Abbie ends up losing her position at the paper because she gets recognized and finds it hard to hide herself due to her size. Abbie decides to do something about her weight in order to get her job back and this is her journey.

When I read what this book was about I thought I would really enjoy it but honest
Stephanie
Apr 09, 2013 Stephanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
  • Behind The Red Doors (Santori Stories #1)
  • Hidden Steel
  • Marrying Missy
  • Accidentally on Purpose
  • High Heels Mysteries Boxed Set (High Heels, #1-5)
  • Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
  • Last Bite
  • JFK: The CIA, Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F. Kennedy
  • Holly Would Dream
  • The Supper Club
  • I Want It Now! a Memoir of Life on the Set of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
  • Waxed
  • The Single Wife
  • Best Friends
  • Eating Heaven
  • The Puppy Whisperer: A Compassionate, Non Violent Guide to Early Training and Care
  • The Expat Diaries: Single in the City
Jenny Gardiner is the author of #1 Kindle Bestseller Slim to None and the award-winning novel Sleeping with Ward Cleaver. Her latest works are the It’s Reigning Men series, featuring Something in the Heir; Heir Today Gone Tomorrow; Bad to the Throne; and the upcoming Love is in the Heir. She also published the memoir Winging It: A Memoir of Caring for a Vengeful Parrot Who's Determined to Kill Me, ...more
More about Jenny Gardiner...