Start by marking “Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)” as Want to Read:
Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)

Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles #9)

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  220 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Arun returns to his mother's house on Cold Shoulder Road, only to find it deserted and flood-ravaged. Some say she's run off with a Silent Sect, other whisper that she's a witch, and Mrs Boles mutters fearfully about the Emjee and the Handsel child, but dares say no more. With the help of his indomitable cousin, Is Twite, Arun sets off in search of Admiral Fishkin - their ...more
Published August 1st 1996 by Red Fox (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Cold Shoulder Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cold Shoulder Road

Alex
Kirsten
Sequel to Is Underground. In the previous book in the series, Is Twite travelled north to find her missing cousin, Arun. Now Arun has been found, and they are going back to his home town to reunite him with his mother. But when they get there, they discover that Aunt Ruth has disappeared. Arun's family was part of the Silent Sect, a strange group of true believers who believe that silence is holy and noise is sinful. But things have changed in the sect since Arun left -- there is a new, charisma ...more
Shirley
The first line - on a sort of prologue page - although it is not labeled as such - is a sort of back story - although you don't understand it until midway through the book:"Every night, around nine o' clock in Cold Shoulder Road, the screaming began." Gothic, tongue-in-cheek- adventure involving a Chunnel created before its time, smuggled ivory tusks, a necklace of death, and Aiken's usual really horrible villains - flavored just right with the Gorey cover illustration. I've long enjoyed Aiken's ...more
Chris
The sequel to 'Is' (US: 'Is Underground') is another of Joan Aiken's unputdownable novels in the James III / Wolves sequence. The villains are as villainish as ever, with few redeeming features, the young (and not-so-young) protagonists are regularly scrobbled, and much of the fairytale action which would normally be regarded as implausible acquires a degree of reality through Aiken's powerful storytelling.

Rich in details, the novel dovetails chronologically into the rest of the series but can b
Anthony Faber
Wolves #9. Is brings her cousin Arum back to his mother, but she's not there, she's off foiling a plot by wealthy powerful men, and Is and Arum help her out. In addition to bad science, this one has a few anachronisms.
Nigel
Is is back, travelling with Arun from the north to find his mother in the south. But the house on Cold Shoulder Road is empty and the people are unfriendly and there are smugglers and bandits abroad with a fierce grip on the land, with hostage children and terrible reprisals and mammoth-tusk ivory smuggled through the channel tunnel. Another Tale Of Twites, good and bad, dogged heroism versus diabolical mischief. Chases and kidnaps, traps and escapes, inventive hidey-holes and strange folk of on ...more
Jenn Estepp
enjoyable, especially for the compleatist in me, who is keen on reading the entire series. but far from the best of the series. while i can get past the heavy use of "thought language" i hated the ever-so-convenient ending. that being said, i really enjoyed most of the characterizations and supporting players whom is twite interacts with in the course of this adventure.
Lia
This was a very different read than I was expecting. I've read her short stories, but this was my first Aiken novel. It is a complex story dealing with smuggling between France and England and the children and others who are caught in the fear and danger created by greedy people.
Ayu Palar
I read this book back then in high school when my English was still so-so. Yet I remember that I was impressed a lot by this book. It's dark but at the same time it offers the light.
Tyas
This was the first book in Wolves of Willoughby Chase sequence that I read; and the impression it left me still makes me shudder sometimes.
jennifer
only two more after this, forever. unless i start writing posthumous continuations of the series-world.
nicole
Deeeeeelightful even as it is grim. My favorite adventure series.
Jan Yip
Another childhood favorite.....
Miss Mouse
Jun 30, 2009 Miss Mouse marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gothic
Willoughby#10
Kalilah
Kalilah marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Dean
Dean marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Emma Griffiths
Emma Griffiths marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Nell Cutliffe
Nell Cutliffe marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Dalton Adams
Dalton Adams marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Lazar Alexandra
Lazar Alexandra marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Amy Jackson
Amy Jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
  • The Wizard in the Tree
  • The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2)
  • Seven-Day Magic (Tales of Magic, #7)
  • Fog Magic
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • Black Maria
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
  • The Diddakoi
  • I Walk in Dread: The Diary of Deliverance Trembley, Witness to the Salem Witch Trials, Massachusetts Bay Colony, 1691
  • Fireweed
  • Bachelor Girl (Little House: The Rose Years, #8)
  • She Was Nice To Mice: The Other Side of Elizabeth I's Character Never Before Revealed by Previous Historians
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • Dragon Strike
  • The Road from Roxbury (Little House: The Charlotte Years, #3)
  • Linnets and Valerians
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)