Start by marking “Profit and Loss” as Want to Read:
Profit and Loss

Profit and Loss

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Celebrated as an unusually original poet—nervy, refreshing, deceptively simple—Leontia Flynn has quickly developed into a writer of assured technical complexity and a startling acuity of perception. In her third collection, Flynn examines and dismantles a fugitive life. The first sequence moves through a series of rooms, reflecting on aspects of the author's personal and f ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Random House UK (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Profit and Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Profit and Loss

Craig
I had no idea what to expect from this book. I’d never heard of Leontia Flynn. The title Profit and Loss, and the unprepossessing cover, silhouettes of flying birds, didn’t help me much.

Well I’m pleased to tell you I thoroughly enjoyed it. I devoured the entire thing within the course of a day.

It in turns bewildered me, wowed me, entertained me and unnerved me. Flynn is clearly a very accomplished poet.

She varies her style quite a bit which I liked. She writes these cold nervy little poems that
Paul Gallear
I first took a punt with this book because I liked the cover. This isn't always the best policy when choosing poetry or any sort of book, but as I knew nothing of the poet, it seemed as good a reason as any.
I have been nothing but surprised by it. It is full of ghosts and shadowy figure lurking in memories and in now-empty rooms. It is all delivered in the beautiful lilt which a lot of the Irish writers seem to have instinctively. At times profound and heart-wrenching, I will definitely be explo
Gail
Dec 07, 2011 Gail added it
'The Spirit's hardly wearing thin/ so much as changing shape' ('Letter to Friends')

'[...] magpies
are untranscendent and corporeal;
they are grounded. They are guardians. They keep guarded
the black and white beneath the feathers' gloss.
('Magpies')

Leontia Flynn, Profit and Loss (London: Cape, 2011), 42; 58.
Danya
This was recommended to me by a librarian at the library where I work, and I loved it! Leontia Flynn's writing is incredible - I love her lyrical style and her use of Irish colloquial terms.

Plus, check out that name! Irish names are so beautiful.
Joanna
Gorgeous book of poetry I found while browsing in a bookstore in Manchester. I'm so glad my girls kept me waiting while they finished shopping. This book is a treasure.
Sue
I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought Leontia's poems were original and strong. I particularly enjoyed following a train of thought as it developed throughout each poem.
Rebecka Mustajarvi
Has been a while since I've even looked at my poetry books, but Flynn's collection is so fantastic I am now reading poetry book after poetry books.
Harry Rutherford
Another one from the Poetry Book Society.
Ángel
Leontia Flynn is a must read.
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Jude Nonesuch
Jude Nonesuch is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015
Martin Davis
Martin Davis marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2013