Start by marking “Profit and Loss” as Want to Read:
Profit and Loss

Profit and Loss

Celebrated as an unusually original poet—nervy, refreshing, deceptively simple—Leontia Flynn has quickly developed into a writer of assured technical complexity and a startling acuity of perception. In her third collection, Flynn examines and dismantles a fugitive life. The first sequence moves through a series of rooms, reflecting on aspects of the author's personal and f ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Random House UK (first published September 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Profit and Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Profit and Loss

Sep 16, 2013 Craig rated it really liked it
I had no idea what to expect from this book. I’d never heard of Leontia Flynn. The title Profit and Loss, and the unprepossessing cover, silhouettes of flying birds, didn’t help me much.

Well I’m pleased to tell you I thoroughly enjoyed it. I devoured the entire thing within the course of a day.

It in turns bewildered me, wowed me, entertained me and unnerved me. Flynn is clearly a very accomplished poet.

She varies her style quite a bit which I liked. She writes these cold nervy little poems that
Paul Gallear
Oct 23, 2012 Paul Gallear rated it it was amazing
I first took a punt with this book because I liked the cover. This isn't always the best policy when choosing poetry or any sort of book, but as I knew nothing of the poet, it seemed as good a reason as any.
I have been nothing but surprised by it. It is full of ghosts and shadowy figure lurking in memories and in now-empty rooms. It is all delivered in the beautiful lilt which a lot of the Irish writers seem to have instinctively. At times profound and heart-wrenching, I will definitely be explo
Dec 07, 2011 Gail added it
'The Spirit's hardly wearing thin/ so much as changing shape' ('Letter to Friends')

'[...] magpies
are untranscendent and corporeal;
they are grounded. They are guardians. They keep guarded
the black and white beneath the feathers' gloss.

Leontia Flynn, Profit and Loss (London: Cape, 2011), 42; 58.
Dec 31, 2012 Danya rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
This was recommended to me by a librarian at the library where I work, and I loved it! Leontia Flynn's writing is incredible - I love her lyrical style and her use of Irish colloquial terms.

Plus, check out that name! Irish names are so beautiful.
May 06, 2012 Joanna rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous book of poetry I found while browsing in a bookstore in Manchester. I'm so glad my girls kept me waiting while they finished shopping. This book is a treasure.
Aug 10, 2012 Sue rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this and thought Leontia's poems were original and strong. I particularly enjoyed following a train of thought as it developed throughout each poem.
Rebecka Mustajarvi
Sep 15, 2013 Rebecka Mustajarvi rated it it was amazing
Has been a while since I've even looked at my poetry books, but Flynn's collection is so fantastic I am now reading poetry book after poetry books.
Harry Rutherford
Oct 03, 2011 Harry Rutherford rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Another one from the Poetry Book Society.
Dec 01, 2012 Ángel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Leontia Flynn is a must read.
James rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Jim Leckband
Jim Leckband marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Hannah McNeill
Hannah McNeill rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Alex Pryce
Alex Pryce rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Alex Pryce
Alex Pryce rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
hannah rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Vincent rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2016
Ian Johnson
Ian Johnson marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Jacinta rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2016
Kanej added it
Jan 24, 2016
Kevin Freeburn
Kevin Freeburn is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Shona added it
Dec 31, 2015
Andy Mckinney
Andy Mckinney marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jeremy Purves
Jeremy Purves rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2015
Terry Everett
Terry Everett marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Simone rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2015
Max rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2015
Jude Nonesuch
Jude Nonesuch is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2015