Start by marking “Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County Series #2)” as Want to Read:
Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County Series #2)

Looking for a Miracle (Brides of Lancaster County #2)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,023 ratings  ·  48 reviews

As a child, Rebekah Stoltzfus suffered a freak accident that left her legs paralyzed. Now, confined to a wheelchair, she feels she'll never measure up to the expectations of her Pennsylvania Amish community that a woman should marry and raise a family. She longs to be loved, yet she prays for a way to be self-supporting. Daniel Beachy wants to court Rebekah, but she believ

Published August 15th 2009 by Barbour Publishing, Incorporated (first published January 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for a Miracle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for a Miracle

Natalie
This is better than the first book. I loved Rebekah's spiritual growth from the beginning to the end. The book teaches a strong lesson to people because the main character didn't let her disability get in the way. I was surprised by the ending. Highly recommended for anyone who's loking for a relatively quick read that they can learn something from.
Jessica
I picked up this book due to the cover. Being Amish and in a wheelchair? That's two concepts I had never thought about together.

What I didn't expect was that it would be written at an children's or early middle school level (despite having a YA or adult length).

The author explains every thought, action, or emotion at a very elementary level. For example, you'll never read that a man laughed at a joke. Instead, Brunstetter tells you that he laughed at a joke because he found the joke funny.(You k
Emma-Jean
‘Looking For A Miracle’ by Wanda E. Brunstetter is the second novel in the series ‘Brides of Lancaster County.’ Although this book is not as interesting as the first book, ‘A Merry Heart,’ it still grabbed my attention.
Rebekah Stoltzfus is a handicapped Amish young adult, who has been confined to a wheelchair since a young child. When she was little, she excepted it for how it was, but as she grew older she began to feel self-conscious. Rebekah often felt as is she was a burden to her family a
Dyllen
Can you imagine suffering an accident that would forever change your life. Well Rebekah Stolitzfus was injured in the storm when a huge branch fell on top of her buggy when she was just little. Rebekah was paralyzed. She feels as if she's failing her family and the rest of her Amish community. In this book it tells you about how Rebekah struggles when she can't get up and run like every other normal person age, and how she gets in the pain of losing her dear grandmother. Also she's having since ...more
Dragondreamsjen
A vast improvement on the first book, this second in the series follows a child character from the first novel now grown to a woman. Dealing with handicaps in the Amish culture provided some interesting insights as the story developed and the characters were both ones you could get attached to.
Christian Singer
Have you ever prayed for a miracle, and things worked out better than you hoped? With all the disappointments and heartaches in life, sometimes we stop hoping for our hearts' desires. As you read this book, be open to praying about your heart's desires.
Karen & Gerard
Looking For A Miracle by Wanda E. Brunstetter is about Rebekah, an Amish youngwoman who had an accident as a girl and was confined to a wheelchair. It is a slow moving story about how Rebekah struggles with trusting God for her future and is somewhat bitter because of her handicap. I liked how she found a way to become more self-supporting and finally found romance and love. It gives some insight into the Amish community which I found to be interesting and includes a recipe for home-made root be ...more
Lynn Grier
Looking for a Miracle had me hooked from the first page. Heartwarming read. I loved the story and a must to read to see if Rebekah finds her miracle. Wanda you are never a disappointment.
Pam
I didn't think I would read this book but when I couldn't find anything that was "IN" at the library, I decided to pick it up. It was ok. I mean, it had a pretty good story and I LOVE the fact that it is clean. BUT the conversations were almost painful to read. WAY too formal for me. I've met Amish people before and none of them were *that* formal in their conversations with each other OR with me. I couldn't stand being in a relationship with someone and talking that way. ANYWAY, I won't be read ...more
Colette

This is book 2 of a series and continues a few years after the 1st book leaves off. Miriam and Amos are now happily married Rebekah has now reached courting age but she is depressed with her wheelchair and disability and feels that no man could ever want her. She decides she needs to become self-sufficient and her father and the neighbors build her a greenhouse where she sells plants and seedlings. Shy Daniel Beachy has eyes for her and helps her with her greenhouse and finally admits his feelin
Kate
I enjoyed this book. I appreciated the reminder that we need to be in constant contact with God . . . always seeking His will for our lives . . . and we need to have His help so we do not miss His miracles for us.

That said, there were times in the book I just wanted to shake Rebekah and call her “dummkoppe” (loosely translated as a dunce, but used in a teasing reference). Daniel was no better at points. I guess having characters that make you want to shake some sense into them, yet while still w
Heather
i love these book they just keep getting better and better.
Mom
Pretty predictable book. I like reading Amish themed books because they rely so heavily on God that it makes me ponder my own faith.
Janet C.
Rachel Stolzfus suffers a freak accident as a child. She is permanently disabled and confined in wheelchair. As a young adult, she yearns for what every young woman wants to be loved and have a family herself. What is worse is she is in love Daniel Beachy, who she thinks is in love with her best friend Mary Ellen Hitely. But who would ever consider a girl in a wheelchair???

This story is the second in the series of Brides of Lancaster County.
Carolyn
A young adult book -- very simple. But, I lived in Lancaster County (subtitle: Brides of Lancaster County) and enjoyed being around the Amish. So, I will read it, but probably not read any more of them. There are two series -- Brides of Lancaster County, and Daughters of Lancaster County. If a young person has no experience with the Amish, this is a good introduction. After I've finished it -- not worth the time unless you're a 14 year old girl.
Kaye
2nd in the series. This one is about the girl from the first novel who lost the use of her legs. Now she is grown up and is concerned that she must be able to take care of herself and no one will love her because of her handicap. Liked the Amish courting story. But again the writer really could use a thesaurus because she uses the same phrasing over and over. Predictable, but sweet.
Jessie Cumpson
Another good Amish story. I have enjoyed every book in this series so far. Whole series is good.
Jacqueline
This one had different pacing than the other one I read by this author. This story took place in a much shorter period of time and the scenes followed each other fairly rapidly. Here again the woman was much better drawn than the guy. We never even knew how old he was. Just that he was young. You didn't get much feel for him. It was enjoyable though.
Julie
This is the 2nd of these I've read, and it's unfortunate that I don't like them better because I really do love so many of the Amish series. It just seems like there's more whining and self-center-self-pity than I can deal with. Not really planning on trying any more of these.
Dawn
A different kind of romance novel. It combines the interesting history and customs of the Amish with a cute love story, but there's no steamy, sexual romance you would typically see in todays romance books. It's perfect for light reading and a different kind of love story.
Pam
I listened to this unabridged audiobook on a recent trip. It's not a type of book I would normally read, but I was looking for something light and easy to follow while I was driving. It met those expectations. It was very predictable and maybe a little boring.
Jodie
I am enjoying this series. Not the best Amish series that I have ever read, but I enjoyed it. Wanda Brunstetter tends to put a bit more religion into her stories that I enjoy, even though it is about the Amish and I expect there to be some.
Paula-O
I have now started the 2nd book in the Brides of Lancaster Co and know I am going to enjoy the story of Rebekah...
great story I have read all the books in this series quickly as they were so good did not want to wait to see what would happen next.
Bryn S
i liked it, but it could have been better. was a good story idea, but a little on the boring side at times. after a while i was just like, "get over it, anna! you're in a wheelchair! so what?"
Jodi
Not my favorite of her books. Seemed to repeat itself a lot. The story would start to move forward and I'd get really into it and then it would repeat itself again and be slow reading
Ashley
I just finished this book today. At first I didn't think I was going to like it but it turned out to be a very good book. I am glad that I finished it.I would recommened it to others.
Corri Johnson
Again, while predictable, I really enjoy Brunstetter's books. I liked seeing how the author dealt with her characters trial.
Stephanie
As a young lady comes to grips with her disability, she learns to trust God and rely on Him to guide her.
Judy
I like the stories with both views. This was a one sided story but still very good
  • Wanted (Sisters of the Heart, #2)
  • Plain Paradise (Daughters of the Promise, #4)
  • Rebecca's Promise (Adams County #1)
  • A Hand to Hold (Hearts of Middlefield, #3)
  • The Forbidden (The Courtship of Nellie Fisher, #2)
  • The Bridge of Peace (Ada's House, #2)
  • Lilly's Wedding Quilt (Patch of Heaven, #2)
  • A Place of Peace (Kauffman Amish Bakery, #3)
  • The Search (Lancaster County Secrets, #3)
A nationally recognized authority on the Amish community, Wanda E. Brunstetter has sold more than seven million copies of her fiction and nonfiction books. Wanda enjoys an uncommon kinship with the Amish and continues to visit their communities throughout the country. Her books have won numerous awards and topped several bestselling charts.
More about Wanda E. Brunstetter...

Brides of Lancaster County (4 books)
  • A Merry Heart (Brides of Lancaster County, #1)
  • Plain and Fancy (Brides of Lancaster County, #3)
  • The Hope Chest (Brides of Lancaster County, #4)
The Bishop's Daughter (Daughter of Lancaster County, #3) The Storekeeper's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #1) The Quilter's Daughter (Daughters of Lancaster County, #2) A Cousin's Promise (Indiana Cousins, #1) A Sister's Secret (Sisters of Holmes County, #1)

“I believe miracles are to be prayed for, not wished for.” 0 likes
“You see, one day God showed me something very important. He let me know that my bitterness and blaming myself for so many things was of my own doing. He showed me that I could shed all my doubts and hurts from the past, God can do that for you too. He wants you to be happy, and if you'll only trust Him, He can work a miracle in your life, just as He did mine.” 0 likes