Start by marking “Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa” as Want to Read:
Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa

Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  423 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
In 1894, out-of-work banker Jacob Hirsch is stranded in Homestead, Iowa. Will Jacob's intrest in a lovely Amana girl force him out of the colonies, or will Liesel be willing to leave her beloved community forever?
Published April 1st 2011 by Summerside (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa

Maureen Timerman
Sep 17, 2011 Maureen Timerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-read
This was such an enjoyable read. I didn't want it to end, and it made me want to live in the Amana Colonies. Life was very hard for people all over the Country in 1894, when this book begins, a lot of people are out of work. Jacob Hirsch decides to leave Chicago IL with his daughter Cassie and two dollars in his pocket. There is a rail strike going on and he ends up hopping a freight train, which he hopes is going to his destination of Seattle WA! Once on the train his daughter become extremely ...more
Stacy
Nov 10, 2011 Stacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've seen the "Love Finds You" series before, but had never read any of them. I'm sure they're all very similar and not everyone's cup of tea. But I really enjoyed this one and plan on checking out more of these (was glad to download another of these free for my Kindle, as this one was free also). This one is set in the late 1800's, in the Amana colonies, which upon further research, was an interesting time and place I had never heard of. Similar to the Amish community, the Amanas lived together ...more
Shari Larsen
Mar 21, 2012 Shari Larsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the title, you might think this is just a "fluffy" romance, but there's so much more depth to the story than that.

Times are hard in 1894 Chicago, after losing his job at a bank due to the economic depression, Jacob Hirsch rides the rails west with his 4 year old daughter Cassie. When a life threatening illness strands them in Homestead, Iowa, the local Amana villagers welcome Jacob and his daughter into their peaceful society. Leisel, a young Amana woman, nurses Cassie back to health, and t
Michelle
I have always enjoyed Melanie Dobson's storytelling and so far I have read every book she has written. Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa was just as amazing as all of her other books. She knows how to capture my attention from the first page and her stories always have excellent pacing. While tender and sweet, this novel was still enthralling for me and compelling, probably because I learned something new as I read.

I have never heard of the Amana Colonies before reading this book, but thought t
Leona J. Atkinson
I loved this book! I usually do not read fiction, however, this book attracted my attention because I used to live very near Homestead, Iowa. The author, Melanie Dobson, described the area very well. Her characters seemed real and alive and the book held me in suspense. I couldn't stop reading it and when I got to the end, I didn't want it to stop!
Highly recommend this book. It is enjoyable reading, plus gives one the history of the life of the Amana Colonies in Iowa.
Next on the List to read: "
Loraine
SUMMARY: Times are hard in 1893. In the midst of an economic depression, Jacob Hirsch loses his job with the banking industry. Desperate for work, the widower rides the rails west from Chicago with his four-year-old daughter, Cassie. When their train is derailed in a flood outside Homestead, Iowa, the communal Amana Society settled there rallies around the newcomers. Liesel, a young Amana woman, takes Cassie under her wing at the Amana Kinderschule and the Homestead elders offer Jacob work. But ...more
Lauren
Sep 06, 2011 Lauren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story! I'm not normally a fan of inspirational fiction nor of romance novels, but this one manages to be both without slapping you in the face with either genre. A fun, light read but also very well written (as many light reads tend not to be) with accurate historical details. I can't wait to read the next "Love Finds You" book by Melanie Dobson.
Rosemary Cantrell
I grew up in Iowa and have been to the Amanas many times. That, naturally, is what made me want to read this book. It did a good job of telling the story of the people who built the commune. It also showed their close relationship to God. They lived by very strict rules in order to preserve the community, but I thought the book did a good job of showing that it was done with love. The story itself was predictable. It is a romance between a widower with a daughter who is very sick and a young Ama ...more
Sarah Sundin
Jan 01, 2012 Sarah Sundin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More than just another "bonnet book" - Love Finds You in Homestead, Iowa features endearing but realistically flawed characters, a captivating romance, and a hint of mystery. Add Dobson's impeccable research into the little-known Amana colonies, and you have a thoroughly enjoyable novel.
Victoria
Jan 25, 2014 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really wonderfully written book about a man named Jacob from Chicago who is trying to find work after being fired from his bookkeeping job at a bank in the late 1890s. He has a four year old daughter Cassie and longs to help her survive. When she becomes sick, he quickly gets off a train in Homestead, Iowa where he comes across a womana from a Christian commune named Liesel.

Liesel was recently engaged to a man whom she got along with in her childhood, but wasn't truly sure of her own
Sep 10, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Title: LOVE FINDS YOU IN HOMESTEAD, IOWA
Author: Melanie Dobson
Publisher: Summerside Press
March 2010
ISBN: 978-1-935416-66-1
Genre: Inspirational/historical

Jacob Hirsch worked as a banker in Chicago, but when the banks started being run broke by depositors demanding their money, Jacob lost his job. With nothing but $1.95 to his name and the Pullman cars under strike, Jacob is forced to hop onboard a freight train with his four year old daughter, Cassie, in hopes of finding a job out west.

Cassie is
Brenda
Jul 04, 2010 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't wait to read this book. I am a direct descendant of Christian Metz one of our forefathers that told our group in Germany to come and settle in America. His quotes from testimonies are in the book. I have lived in Amana all my life where the book is about. I think Melanie Dobson described very well how the Amana people lived back in the communal days. My dad was from Homestead and my mom lived in Amana so I can think of them when Liesel and Jacob are apart and want to see each other.

I
Gabrielle
Good book, picked it for the Amana history. The information on the Amana colonies is superb! Dobson does a great job at making it interesting. The downfall is that this is your typical, unrealistic love story. It's not a story that, I doubt, would happen in real life.
Debbie Eifert
Feb 27, 2015 Debbie Eifert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read

This book held my interest from the first page to the last. The story drew me in immediately, with intrigue, romance and a spiritual overtone...and learning about the Amana group was really interesting.
Rebecca
Sep 07, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story full of rich, fascinating history and deep, engaging characters. It's always a little disappointing when Melanie Dobson's books have to come to and end!
Sara
I loved this book. There was background information on the Amana colonies that was new to me. One of the best Love Finds a You books, in my opinion.
Brook
Feb 23, 2015 Brook rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Dobson is a wonderfully descriptive writer. I couldn't stop reading...The best thing about this book is the fact that she intertwined down to the smallest details of the lifestyles of the Amana Society.
Wendy
Mar 17, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am always pleased to find a book about the Amana Colonies, that is what I knew them as when I was a child growing up in the midwest, eastern Nebraska. I have visited the 'Colonies' but have learned so much more about them by reading books like Melanie's. She did a wonderful job of holding my interest and teaching me more about the 'Community of True Inspiration' and their beliefs.

I have read other books Melanie has written and really enjoyed them too. I think I have all of Melanie's 'Love Find
Crissy
Dec 04, 2014 Crissy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Based in Iowa and about the Amish, so I was intrigued.
Jodi
Mar 29, 2010 Jodi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Melanie Dobson is a gifted storyteller and she doesn’t disappoint in her latest book, Love Finds You In Homestead, Iowa. Dobson artfully weaves history, romance, and suspense together to create a story you won’t want to put down. From the first paragraph to the final sentence, you’ll be transported to the peaceful Amana colonies of 1894 where life for Liesel is comfortable and predictable until a fateful day in July when a handsome outsider turns her life upside down. You won’t want to miss this ...more
Kami Sexton
I have enjoyed both of the Love Finds You books that I have read. It is fun how it takes you to a different culture and tells you how their world works. This one was fun because when I started reading I thought that Amanas sounded so familiar to me and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why. The end of these books describe the changes in the communities and how they have progressed. They make Amana fridges! I'm a cook and I couldn't believe it took me that long to put together the name of ...more
Apr 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: iowa
This wonderful story of loss, illness and love again takes place in eastern Iowa's Amana colonies and how the communities might have operated in 1894. The historic story transverses locations between both Homestead, Iowa, and Chicago, Illinois. Rich historic detail and a fantastic love story are both key reasons to read this book.

I'll never stop for coffee, pie and ice cream in Little Amana on my way across Iowa without remembering Melanie Dobson and the charming characters she brings to life i
Charlene Mills
Jun 28, 2015 Charlene Mills rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gooood.
Cheryl
Jan 27, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story has a man and his daughter leaving Chicago in Depression days. They end up accidentally on a train that stops near the Amanas. His daughter has diphtheria; a dr from the Amanas treats her successfully. The comparison between Chicago city life and rural life in the Amanas is interesting.

There is a whole series of Love Finds You in .... by a variety of authors. It as fun to read one in Iowa.

I recommended this book to be purchased for the Anita library.
Kim
Aug 10, 2014 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great and interesting read by this author.
K
Jun 06, 2012 K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet love story near the turn of the nineteenth century. I found the overt religious references to be heavy handed and lacking any depth but that is typical for this genre. What drew me to this book was the setting, the Amana Colonies. Having been there, I was interested to "see" them during their early years before the Great Change. It was very fascinating and I know for sure my spirit of independence would rebel against the rigors and conformity of commune life.
Kel
Sep 02, 2012 Kel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is set about 50 years after "Love Finds You in Amana, IA." Dobson does a great job of describing the economic woes that plagued our nation after the financial crash of 1893. She weaves the lives of Jacob and Cassie, who end up in Homestead by "accident," with Liesl. Liesel has lived in Homestead her entire life. Jacob and Liesel fall in love, but will Jacob be able to stay and adapt to their lifestyle? A great story.
Melissa
Sep 02, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, chick-lit
This is the second book I've read about the Amana's. I really have enjoyed reading some history about the area (even if it was presented in fiction) and Ms. Dobson's stories have peaked my interest in the area, where my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother's grew up.

The characters were interesting and the story was a page turner, even though some of the plot was expected.

Worth reading, very enjoyable.
Carman
Aug 09, 2010 Carman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are certain things about the way the Amana Society believes that bother me. So those instances made the book a smidgen less enjoyable for me, but for the most part, I liked the book. The writing was good, and I liked the characters, but I didn’t fall in love with them. This is an enjoyable read with a sweet ending though, and I did like it.
Reina Williams
I liked the main characters and the portrayal of the Amana colonies (which I know very little about) but I didn't like the skipping to the bank manager's point of view. I skimmed those parts because I wanted to get back to the hero and heroine. Overall, a good, fairly quick, read for those who like sweet historical romance.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Sep 13, 2015 07:43AM
  • Love Finds You in Calico, California
  • Love Finds You in Valentine, Nebraska
  • Love Finds You in Maiden, North Carolina
  • Love Finds You in Hope, Kansas
Writing novels is a fun excuse for Melanie to explore ghost towns and old houses, travel to unusual places, and spend hours reading dusty books and journals. She writes both contemporary and historical fiction with threads of romance and suspense.

Melanie is the award-winning author of fourteen historical romance, suspense, and contemporary novels including Shadows of Ladenbrooke Manor, Chateau of
More about Melanie Dobson...

“Sit and pause a while, my spirit this great miracle behold; See the king of highest merit, on the cross, so bare and cold! Out of heaven God has given His own Son in love untold!” 0 likes