Start by marking “Caribbean Moon” as Want to Read:
Caribbean Moon

Caribbean Moon (Manny Williams #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,159 ratings  ·  114 reviews
Written in the tradition of I.Johansen, J.Patterson of old, and JA Konrath. Small-town detective/workaholic, Manny Williams is thrilled with the prospect of finally taking the long-awaited vacation he had promised his wife, Louise. The couple’s exotic getaway begins in sunny San Juan, Puerto Rico, by attending the wedding of a fellow Lansing police officer, followed with a ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published March 25th 2011 by Rick Murgittroyd

To ask other readers questions about Caribbean Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Caribbean Moon

Dawn
Roger
It was very high on Amazon, but I didn't care for it much. My biggest complaint was that they heroes just reacted to the villain in almost all cases. By that I mean they didn't use any internal strengths to overcome obstacles and force the flow events in a direction they wanted, or at least interrupt the flow the villain had planned. I like stories where the heroes struggle and overcome. In this book they were basically puppets in the hands of the villain.

In the beginning I was also a little cre
Mary James
Cruising murder

I gave this book high marks as it hooked and reeled me in from the beginning. Characters were well developed and an emotional attachment unique to each of them was formed. Parts of the story were a little too graphic for my gentle mind. If you like NCIS and other police-based stories, this book will not disappoint you.
L.W.
I loved it. It was a fast moving who done it with some very interesting people. I was amazed at the number of characters in this book that had to be kept track of...and it was done with a certain degree of elegance and style.

Loved the story. This is my first time reading one of his books...I don't think it will be the last time I check his work out
Rajesh
A pretty bad read. Incidentally this happened to be the my first Kindle book as well. Learned not to trust Amazon reviews. Badly written and a wafer thin plot. Hardly worth a review.
Val Wilkerson
Definitely do not take this book on a cruise to read.....people on a cruise ship are
getting murdered right & left.....
Joanna
it seems like the plot could be interesting, but the writing style seems immature.
Caron
Very good mystery with nice twists. Never boring.
Linda
From the start, we're told who the killer is, which instantly makes this unremarkable. It's not a murder mystery, it's a cat and mouse game and a rather unbelievable one at that: almost everyone the killer wants revenge against ends up on the same cruise ship. How convenient. If that's not enough, he's also got victims lined up for every port just because he's a killer and has to kill things.

There are a lot of characters to keep track of, which isn't necessarily a problem. I like a large cast wh
Al
The description of "Caribbean Moon" some places says it is “written in the tradition of Connelly, Patterson of old, and JA Konrath.” I was on the verge of writing this off as marketing hype; Murcer’s book is good, but not at the level of those three, nor, if you evaluate the words, is that claim being made. Then I realized that the statement does give a hint of what Murcer is aiming for and, in the JA Konrath comparison, is the hook to describe the qualities of this book.

Konrath’s "Jack Daniels"
Eric
May 28, 2012 Eric rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery readers, suspense readers
Recommended to Eric by: Amazon.com
Shelves: mysteries
Caribbean Moon
by Rick Murcer
3 Faerie Points

Before I start in on the main review of this book I need to go on a bit of a rant about something that ticks me off about books, which was brought back up for me with this particular book. In one section of this book, I won't mention where due to spoilers, the author has a character talk about fags and queers in a basic derogatory manner. In Murcer's case I can forgive him somewhat because it is from the viewpoint of a killer, but a part of me can't ev
Judie
In CARRIBEAN MOON, Lansing Michigan Sergeant Detective Manny Williams joins some of the other members of his department in Puerto Rico and then on a Carribean cruise as they celebrate the marriage of one of their own. As they leave their hotel to get to the ship, he sees police cars and an ambulance pull up. He continues to the ship, knowing something major happened but he realized he was on vacation.
Once aboard the ship, however, the gruesome murders continue, the first victims being members o
Sally Bennett
Excellent setup for the next book in the series.

This crime thriller definitely left me wanting more, with its intense action and compelling (albeit disturbing) glimpses into a deranged killer’s mind. Warning: this is a gritty book, not for the faint of heart.

Murcer has a distinctive writing style, with metaphors galore and vivid descriptions. Although I might like to see fewer metaphors and less description during action scenes, the author uses his time in the characters’ heads to flesh out moti
Terri Powers
I picked up this book at the Michigan Authors on Michigan Avenue event in December 2012 and finally had the opportunity to take it up and read it. I was excited to be reading something from a fellow Michigan author, and thrillers are kinda my thing.

CarribeanCaribbean Moon is written in a gritty, raw, cop-speak fashion and I had to look at Mr. Murcer’s website to see if he is or was a policeman. I could not determine that from his biography, but went ahead with the book, thoroughly enjoying the s
Douglas Cook
roller coaster ride!

first paragraphs

CHAPTER-1 “I’ll need to see your ID, sir.” “What?” Manny Williams stared at the pretty, Latino barmaid. He must have looked like a deer in headlights because she started to grin, rescued her composure, and asked again. “Uh, I’m thirty-eight years old. I don’t . . .” “Having trouble gettin’ served, Williams?” Glancing to his left he noticed Sophie Lee, his diminutive partner as she stood a few feet away wearing one of her famous gotcha grins. “I should have kno
Sharon Kennedy
This would have rated higher had it not been for the sheer and total stupidity of one of the characters, who, despite being aware that there was a killer on a vengeance mission, who obviously had knowledge of each of their habits, chose to stick to her routine and go for a run...ON HER OWN! Sorry, it was at this point that I felt the story fell apart from the tightly crafted drama at the beginning.
Kris
I enjoyed this mystery/thriller. Police detective Manny Williams is taking a well-deserved cruise vacation along with some co-workers and a newlywed couple (daughter of one of the co-workers). The bodies start to pile up before they've even boarded the ship, and they keep piling up - getting closer and closer to Manny and his wife, and the MO is suspiciously like that of a serial killer Manny and his team put in jail some years earlier.

Good: It was nice to have a character who is happily married
Ron
A group of Michigan police officers and their wives embark on a Caribbean cruise following a coworkers wedding. Stalking them is a serial killer bent on revenge and murder. Lots of action and suspense but lacks a smooth writing technique necessary for a really good novel. I'd rate "Caribbean Moon" just okay as mysteries go.
Reverend Stanleigh Chapin
A good one

A mystery,with intensity, intrigue, character development and mainly believable. Except at the city of Lansing Michigan,because the complete law enforcement was on a ocean cruise
Greg
This is a fast-paced mystery with an interesting plot, strong characters and twists that keep you guessing. Sarcastic banter between some of the characters adds a touch of humor.

Detective Manny Williams and his wife attend a fellow officer's wedding and then the families and friends, including Manny's partner, Sophie, and his department chief (the groom's father), go on a Caribbean cruise vacation.

The vacation quickly becomes an FBI investigation when people are killed at each port stop and then
Laural
I quite liked this book. It does have some language here and there, but I can handle it here and there, just not everywhere! It was very addictive and kept me on the edge of my proverbial seat!
Noelle
This book combined a murder mystery with cruising and I love both. The murders were pretty descriptive in parts and could have been toned down a bit. The ending was interesting. All in all, not a bad read.
Dennis
I enjoyed this novel. I look forward to the next in this series which I'm about to start in a few minutes.
Wendy
This was a good book. Just a couple of things I didn't like.

1 From the beginning you knew who "did it" (Though there was a little twist I won't give that away)

2 The story was told by A LOT of different characters. Manny was the main point of view but it was almost as if the author had to let EVERY character in the book tell something from their point of view. At times it was a little confusing.

These were my only 2 issues with this book. This is the first time I have read this author and I will p
Tim Ellis
This is a thriller that moves inexorably from the lapping of water tickling your toes to a tsunami that washes over you as you're running like hell to get out of its way. Manny is gonna be one of those detectives you talk about in the future like Mike Hammer. An interesting peek into the mind of a psychopathic killer without empathy for his victims. Wonderful descriptions of Caribbean locations had me reaching for the sunscreen. A good plot with well-developed characters, and the twist at the en ...more
Brenda
Very intense and evil.
Janel
This book was alright. The romance in it sounds like it was written from the perspective of a romantic who is fourteen years old. The couples who have been together for many years talk and act like immature teens when it comes to romance.

As for the murder/thriller mystery.... meh. It was alright. There is a twist at the end.

If it wasn't for the twist, and the likeable characters,minus the silly interactions between them, it would have received one star.
Ken Rossignol
This is a great cruise thriller and is well developed with quick drop dead action for many of the characters, crafted in a way that is authentic and real to life in many ways, in fact, it's downright scary in that the psychos are really out in the world just as described and they are regularly let out of prison. If folks only knew how often, you wouldn't be refering to this book as fiction. Well done, I will buy the next one in the series. Thanks for the good read.
Janet
This book led me to Rick Murcer and every book he's written since, which just get better and better. I consider him one of the hottest indies out there right now, and I hope he continues in that vein, teaching all us younguns how to do it right.

I won't get into details of the story, only that it is a great thriller with dialogue between characters that is so real and entertaining, sometimes I feel like piping in myself!

Enjoy enjoy and become a Murcer fan.

Jan
Cheryl, The Book Contessa
This book was a bit cliche, a lotta killing, yet I couldn't put it down until I knew how it ended. I saw a lot of 1 star reviews on Amazon. I have certainly read worse. I was attracted to the book, since I lived many yrs in Lansing, MI(where the protagonist Manny Williams lives). I laugh that the author refers to it as 'Hicksville', as it IS the capitol of MI. It was ok for me.
  • A Touch of Deceit
  • Mortal Pursuit
  • Bone Dry (A Blanco County Mystery #2)
  • Hit or Missus (Peri Minneopa Mystery, #2)
  • Dead Of Winter (Louis Kincaid, #2)
  • Convictions
  • Grave Situation
  • Torch Ginger (Lei Crime, #2)
  • A Dyeing Shame (A Myrtle Clover Mystery #2)
  • Diva (Frank Renzi, #2)
  • Top Ten
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • Breaking News
  • Hidden in Plain View:: A Darryl Billups Mystery
  • Lucidity
  • Fatal Liaison
  • Terminal Ambition, A Maggie Mahoney Novel
  • Thirst
Rick Murcer lives in Michigan and like many in that part of the country lost his job in 2008 due to a decline in the economy. An experienced executive, he sent out over 600 resumes without success. With unemployment benefits waning and savings nearly depleted he did the only logical thing he could think of...decide to become a writer.

Fortunately for Rick, he defied all conventional wisdom about s
More about Rick Murcer...

Manny Williams (4 books)
  • Emerald Moon
  • Caribbean Rain (Manny Williams, #4)
  • Carolina Rain (Manny Williams, #5)
  • Vegas Rain (Manny Williams Thriller number six)
Deceitful Moon Emerald Moon Caribbean Rain (Manny Williams, #4) Capital Murder Carolina Rain (Manny Williams, #5)