Start by marking “Who is Conrad Hirst?” as Want to Read:
Who is Conrad Hirst?

Who is Conrad Hirst?

Who is Conrad Hirst? Knowing the answer could get you killed. Not knowing could get him killed.

Conrad Hirst is a hired killer working for a German crime boss. Disturbed by the death of his girlfriend ten years earlier and still bearing the scars of post-traumatic stress after serving as a mercenary, he's valued precisely because of how broken he is, by how coldly he ki

Published November 13th 2007 by Simon & Schuster (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Who is Conrad Hirst?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is Conrad Hirst?

Armin Hennig
Nov 27, 2014 Armin Hennig rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Selbstfindung mit der Wumme

Absolut hirnloses und spannungsfreies Gemetzel, das in den Keller der Ein-Stern-Zone gehört.

Dabei ist die Grundidee gar nicht mal so schlecht: Auftragskiller meint seine Laufbahn mit vier strategischen Morden beenden zu können. Tatsächlich setzt Conrad Hirst mit seinem ersten Mord eine fatale Kettenreaktion in Gang, denn die Nummer zwei auf seiner Liste ist nicht identisch mit der Person, der er zu Beginn seiner Killerlaufbahn vorgestellt wurde.
Und da er eigentlich n
Maddy
May 29, 2010 Maddy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2007-reads
RATING: 4.25

How does a hit man give up his career and go on to live the life of a normal man? That's the dilemma that faces Conrad Hirst, who is burned out and only too aware of how barren he has become emotionally. He's only 32 years old, but his most recent hit shatters him and destroys his willingness to continue his nihilistic life. He arrives at a simple answer—he must kill the only four people who know his identity. After that, he should be able to put away his assassination tools and sett
Joleen
Oct 28, 2008 Joleen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
I loved it! There were very few things about this book that were predictable. I thought I had it all figured out then there was the epilogue, which immediately makes sense of the entire book! Great read! I loved all the twists and turns particularly the last one!
ri
Jun 29, 2011 ri rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Ein Auftragskiller will aussteigen, doch so einfach geht das in dem Gewerbe nicht. Vor allem, wenn man nicht nur für den gearbeitet hat, der einen beauftragt hat, und man gar nicht weiß, für wen man wirklich gearbeitet hat. So ergeht es Conrad Hirst. Seine seit zehn Jahren aufgebaute eiskalte und berechnende Identität bricht in sich zusammen wie ein Kartenhaus, so dass er selbst gar nicht weiß, was er glauben soll und nicht. Ein Katz-und-Maus-Spiel beginnt.

Kevin Wignall ist ein intelligenter und
Paul Pessolano
Feb 27, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it
This is a very unusual book. It could easily be defined as a spy thriller, but it is so much more. If you are looking for something that might be totally different from anything you have read before, this book is looking right at you.

Conrad Hirst finds himself fighting as a mercenary in Yugoslavia. He falls in love with a young girl, but loses her in a bombing. He is so distressed that he becomes immune to his past life and really doesn't care for his future. He is introduced to, what he believe
Pygmy
Mar 25, 2008 Pygmy rated it it was ok
Shelves: actionthriller
Less an action thriller and more of a character study of a hitman who wants to leave the business, which is a great idea. But the execution leaves something a little lacking. Granted, the hitman admits several times that he's a total n00b in terms of pumping people for info and sneaking around; he's only good at killing people. But I find it terribly difficult to believe that the CIA will let a rogue agent go so easily after he's gone and killed several CIA agents, even if it was because of a la ...more
Christina
Jan 28, 2009 Christina marked it as abandoned
Shelves: 2009-reads, fiction
I originally picked up Who Is Conrad Hirst? for my younger brother after my mom asked me find him something to read at the library, but he read the back and handed it right back to me. The cover looked interesting enough, so I threw it onto my bookstack.

Who Is Conrad Hirst? is a character study of an assassin trying to quit the business, except this assassin works for the CIA. The writing is very tight and there are very little mistakes, but just I wasn’t engaged in the story at all. And as the
Jordan McPeek
Nov 17, 2012 Jordan McPeek rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, box-7
An odd genre book - which genre it belongs to is arguable: spy or crime? Odd isn't bad. It makes for an unpredictable read that keeps the pages turning. A hitman who wants to leave the business is a familiar storyline. What sets him apart is his motivation for getting into and out of the business. It's not money or blackmail or training or loyalty; it's a psychological crisis. An interesting character study thrown in with enough plot, action, and twists to call it a thriller. An enjoyable unusua ...more
Colin
Nov 25, 2008 Colin rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the first spy or crime (not really sure what designation it fall under) novel so I wasn't sure what to expect or even whether I would like it.
The writing is godd but not amazing. The story is, for me, memorable in that it broke away from the expected and the character was very well developed. Instead of a fun but mindless book I got a fun and interesting mystery and character portait.
Jessica
Mar 11, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: germany, hitman
Picked this one up off a favorable review in my favorite bastion of Britishness, The Economist, and I think it earns the praise. Most hitman books are breakneck thrillers, so the more meditative pacing in this one is refreshing. Also worth noting is the clever way Wignall plays on the "man without a past" stereotype that permeates the genre by taking Conrad's story in unexpected directions. Not a long one, so worth a shot even if you don't normally go for this sort of thing.
Caleb
Aug 12, 2008 Caleb rated it liked it
In the good but not great category. It's a thriller that is very fast- 230 pages which I read in less than four hours. It does a lot in this span, but I just didn't love the main character enough (some of the killings were unconscionable and I don't think the protagonist got off too lightly on them). That said, it was a great airplane/beach read and the two twists at the end certainly caught me by surprise.
Kevin
Oct 30, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it
Wignall continues his hit man theme and again manages to pull it off with tight writing, an interesting lead character, and an undercurrent of difficult moral questions.

In the process of describing how a person might fall into the position of killing for a living Wignall mediates on the nature of identity, fate, and violence.
Sam
Feb 01, 2008 Sam rated it liked it
This book is a standard book about a drop out assassin, until the last chapter.
That last chapter changes the book, forever really. So read the book through once, then realize you'll have to read it through again. I read it through twice in the same day, cause i was a little shocked by what I had read at the end.
Good book, but needs some different pieces working forward into the story.
Shawn
Oct 08, 2008 Shawn rated it really liked it
you will be thrilled, frightened, scared, angered, relieved, and finally completely and totally gut-wrenchingly heart broken. even if you see the end coming you're hoping it won't and when it does...bamf. sucker-punch.

a great book.
Kathryn Ottele
Feb 07, 2015 Kathryn Ottele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who is Conrad Hurst?

This was very good. I liked the insightful views of this character, trying to make sense of the chosen path he took in life. This was a very good, thought provoking book.
Mark
Great read

Excellent storyline. Well written and moving story, a great examination of the introspection of the main character. Good surprise twist at the end.
fred maudsley
fred maudsley rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Laurence
Laurence rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Bonnie Prunka
Bonnie Prunka rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Carl
Carl rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Narti
Narti rated it it was ok
Jul 15, 2016
Uwe Windhoven
Uwe Windhoven rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2009
Kester
Kester rated it it was ok
Dec 13, 2007
Jarno
Jarno rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Will
Will rated it really liked it
Feb 17, 2016
Moto
Moto rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2009
Ant
Ant rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2012
Esme
Esme rated it did not like it
Sep 20, 2016
Stephen Tomlin
Stephen Tomlin rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Harry, Revised
  • Moth (Lew Griffin, #2)
  • Severance Package
  • Auschwitz
  • Las Películas de Mi Vida
  • Second Shot (Charlie Fox Thriller, #6)
  • An Expensive Education
  • Conception
  • The Barbarous Coast
  • Going Down South: A Novel
  • The Warsaw Document
  • Midnight Plus One (Crime Masterworks)
  • The Prone Gunman
  • Rachesommer (Walter Pulaski, #1)
  • Karjalan lunnaat
  • El Gavilan
  • Nächsten Sommer
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
Army Child till age nine.

Settled back in a small town in the west of England.

Lancaster University - degree in Politics &
International Relations.

Writer.

Also writes as K.J. Wignall

Email: kevin@kevinwignall.com
More about Kevin Wignall...