Start by marking “Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)

Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction #1)

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  891 Ratings  ·  171 Reviews
Geoffrey Wentworth, the Earl of Stratford, is a war hero focused on affairs of king and country rather than affairs of the heart. Nevertheless, his mother is playing matchmaker and has invited potential brides to visit the family estate. Geoffrey resigns himself to playing host to a gaggle of husband-hunters more interested in his title than in him—until he unexpectedly me ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages
Published February 7th 2012 by Signet Eclipse (first published February 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Enemy

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLeanA Night Like This by Julia QuinnThief of Shadows by Elizabeth HoytThe Duke's Perfect Wife by Jennifer AshleyA Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare
2012 Historical Romance Novels
34th out of 265 books — 669 voters
Onyx by Jennifer L. ArmentroutInsurgent by Veronica RothCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareLover Reborn by J.R. WardOnce Burned by Jeaniene Frost
Most Expected Romance Books 2012
207th out of 424 books — 1,483 voters

More lists with this book...

Rane
Feb 19, 2012 Rane rated it liked it
A plain fun regency with a touch of mystery, science and two great characters, Heather Snow's debut Sweet Enemy was alot of fun from start to finsih. While it did go into some territory that's been done before, it never really stopped it from being good.

With the two main characters Geoffrey Wentworth, Earl of Stratford whose just enter the Earl role and using his power as a peer to help those who served in the military once along side him and Miss Liliana Claremont a chemist whose trying to pr
Jill
Feb 08, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it

Liliana Claremont is a twenty-four year-old spinster and scientist. Her parents both dead, Liliana stumbles upon evidence that her father's death after an attack by robbers, may not have been random afterall, but a planned murder. She is intent on finding the murderers and seeing them pay. With clues in-hand in the form of coded letters from the late Earl Of Stratford, she agrees to attend a house party with her Aunt and cousin at Somerton Park, ancestral home of Geoffrey Wentworth, (present) Ea
Stella
Feb 24, 2012 Stella rated it it was amazing
The short and quite incoherent sum of my first impressions:

Wow wow wow. I lack the words as I'm still under the story's spell to tell you eloquently what an amazing novel this is. The writing is exquisite, the characters well fleshed out, three-dimensional and interesting, the love story is fresh and beautiful.

A stellar debut for Heather Snow, I'm already counting back the days until I can read her next novel!

And my detailed review:

I still remember every small detail about that time I read Swee
Lady Wesley
Jun 02, 2013 Lady Wesley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bluestocking
I love house party Regencies, and the majority of this book takes place during a house party organized by the hero's mother in an effort to force him to take a bride. That, however, is where the cliche ends. This amazing first-time author proceeds to take several Regency tropes, twist them around, and produce an entertaining romantic suspense story.

Highly recommended.

2 June 2013
Un-oh, boys and girls. I still love this book, but my inner Inigo Montoya noticed the following howlers:
*And when he’d
Kimberly Rocha~ Book Obsessed Chicks

Liliana Claremont is a rather unusual lady for her day and age. Unmarried at twenty four, with no intention of marrying, she lives alone in her own home following the death of her father and she continues his work as a chemist. Liliana believes her father was murdered and she means to find who did it.When she discovers letters from a anonymous person with a noble seal on the envelope, the Wentworth seal, Liliana must figure out how to investigate.

Geoffrey Wentworth, the Earl of Stratford shares
SOS Aloha
Feb 21, 2012 SOS Aloha rated it it was amazing
It pays to know the enemy - not least because at some time you may have the opportunity to turn him into a friend.- Margaret Thatcher

Regency romance is my favorite genre but it is also the most crowded. As readers scream for diverse characters in exotic locales, debut author Heather Snow embraces the “bread and butter” – a house party. SWEET EMENY delivers a house party like no other with its obvious marriage mart, informal political alignments, and even a medieval revival! But it is the things
Mary Gramlich
Feb 06, 2012 Mary Gramlich rated it it was amazing
SWEET ENEMY by Heather Snow
02/12 - Penguin Group - Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

What does one do when the objective they set in life is changed?

Liliana Claremont has a clear and concise way of handling problems and living her life. After her father’s death she choose to live frugally allowing her to pursue his interests in chemistry without a husband. Geoffrey Wentworth, the Earl of Stratford is of the same mindset and the last thing he wants is to be married.

Geoffrey’s mother and Liliana’s a
Cécile
Jun 19, 2014 Cécile rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Depuis que j'ai enfin appris à abandonner un livre, je ne me pose plus trop de questions…
Et voilà un nouveau A&P que j'ai donc arrêté.
Ca avait pourtant bien commencé, histoire originale, héroïne intello, etc… et puis à 50% c'est devenu lent, lent, lent, lent.
Trop lent. Il ne se passe rien pendant tellement longtemps qu'aussi prometteurs les héros soient-ils, je n'ai pas pu me forcer à continuer.

Il parait que les derniers chapitres sont vraiment sympas, reprennent en intensité, mais si j'av
SidneyKay
Mar 09, 2012 SidneyKay rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance-regency
Yumru
Sep 29, 2013 Yumru rated it liked it
Sevdim yazarın tarzını değişik bir konu işlemiş,çok ahım şahım bir hikaye değil belki ama hani okutuyor kendini dediklerimizden.En azından sıkıntıya sokan bir hikaye değildi.Yazarı kesinlikle takip edeceğim,bir çok yeni yazara göre gayet iyiydi.
işin özü tadımlık,eksileriyle,artılarıyla okundu bitti...
Lover of Romance
Geoffrey, the Earl of Stratford, is a military man, and ever since the war ended, has been looking for a way to get a bill passed, that would allow those brave soldiers to find jobs and have a safe place to live other than the streets. When he learns that his mother has planned a country house party, under his name, to find him a bride…he is furious. He refuses to marry yet, there is so much he needs to do and the last thing he needs is a woman he could never love or trust. Liliana Claremont, de ...more
Head in the clouds
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this HR - except it is so very typically HR. It ticks all the boxes but for me was not special and did not stand out.

Le sign. Sometimes it feels like I have read all the great HRs - and am left wading in the mediocore; which is why I often find myself re-reading my favourites.

Nevertheless - this is a sweet love story with an okay mystery. Geoffrey was actually a very nice hero - not a rake, not a jerk, haunted by bad experiences but not really tortured -
Maria
Feb 24, 2012 Maria rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance, mystery romance
This rating is really a 3.5, and I debated for some time if it should be a little higher because the story was definitely interesting. Regency romance has become increasingly homogeneous in recent years, and it has become difficult to find stories that feel original. This is what attracted me to this novel: The mystery at the heart of the novel is based in true events and is solved in a way that makes sense for 1817.

Liliana Claremont has just discovered that her father's murder a decade prior w
Ashley Chen
May 15, 2012 Ashley Chen rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOVEEDDD this book! Before I started the book, I fell for the premise of the book. I am a fan of science and when Heather contacted me, I was super excited! I have no idea why it took so long for me to review!

Yeah, have you ever read a book that everything was perfect? I love how adventurous Liliana was and she was not the stupid girl who week adventure. You know what I am talking about, she is not the girl that you shout at the page "NO! Why would you do that! That is just so stupid!". Lil
Tammy
Mar 16, 2012 Tammy rated it it was amazing
This debut from Heather Snow was exceptionally written and I just fell in love with the characters from the beginning. Both had lost the fathers at young ages and had closed off their hearts after their losses. They both have the same view on marriage and both vowing to never open their hearts to love.

Liliana and Geoffrey are both wonderful characters.

Liliana is a wonderfully smart and talented lady scientist, a chemist to be exact. She is intelligent and always wondering about experiments and
Hannah Fielding
Jan 29, 2013 Hannah Fielding rated it it was amazing
This book is the debut novel from Heather Snow and I am very impressed. This novel has all of the usual things we associate with, and love about, historical romance – society rules, nobility and titles, balls, dresses, romance and fluttering hearts. But what makes it stand out is the crossover element, adding a touch of mystery and danger that keeps the plot moving forward quickly and making the book a real page-turner.

Added to that is the fabulous heroine, Liliana, who is not the usual lady of
Kendra
Feb 15, 2012 Kendra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
For full review including excerpt and dialogue highlight, please visit Reader's Edyn:

Review:
As you all may have noticed, I have been on a historical romance kick lately. I love HR! Started with HR, will always go back to HR. It is my favorite of all genres. But what I have noticed most about the recent HR reads I have been rabidly reading through is that I have very much enjoyed them all. I mean, seriously. When reading multiple books, you would expect to find something that
Lisa Lin
May 21, 2012 Lisa Lin rated it really liked it
Julie Barrett
Feb 25, 2012 Julie Barrett rated it it was amazing

Sweet Enemy by Heather Snow
Liliana had found some old letters behind the book shelves when she
returned from asking others to help with the robbery at her home. The
letters didn't make sense to her but it reminded her of her father's dying
words: be trade (betrayed). Given the only clue was the wax seal on the
bundle of letters that'd be a good place to start her search for the answer
to who murdered her father. It was just by chance she and her aunt and cousin
got an invite to go to the place where t
Jenni Ebba
Feb 17, 2012 Jenni Ebba rated it really liked it
I won this novel through Goodreads First Reads! Thank you to the people at Penguin.
Of course I love me some historical romance and Sweet Enemy is an awesome one to add to anyone's book collection. This novel had all the greats; great character development, great plot, and great setting! Heather Snow's writing is truly compelling and makes you feel what the characters feel.
The story is about a girl, Liliana, who is older than the average age to get married (24). Her late father was a respecte
Ilze
Jul 26, 2012 Ilze rated it it was amazing
Shelves: heather-snow
Excellent debut novel. Loved both of the main characters, especially the heroine, and the plot was highly original and well-executed. Even the final crisis (there's always one in these books) was believable and fit with the story. I don't usually appreciate mysteries and suspense in the romance books I read, but this one worked well and kept my attention completely.

I also really liked the depiction of the heroine as intelligent, strong-minded and dedicated to her "life's work", as she put it. T
herdys
Nov 16, 2015 herdys rated it liked it
Nice firt half, then the revenge plot took precedence and it went meh for me. That's why I'm not a fan of revenge HRs.

I did like our otp. At least for the first half while they were falling in love and not being self sacrificing idiots. Its also always interesing when HR show us women pursuing things like science or medicine, that were a men's thing back then. Its so normal for us now, but back then it was unheard of. Thats another reason why the book is getting 3 and not 2 stars. I do admit it
Anna
Mar 18, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes Romance
Heather Snow's "Sweet Enemy" is a lovely romance that will make you smile. The hero and the heroine are very likable and make a nice couple. All of the typical romance cliches are present: intense attraction, murder, mystery, deceit, lack of trust, redemption, and true love overcoming adversity. However, the story moved quickly and the cliches of the romantic novel were pushed to the wayside because the characters were so entertaining and endearing. I recommend it, and I will be purchasing her s ...more
Gerrie
In many ways this was a four star novel, and a very impressive debut. Lilliana the heroine, and Geoffrey the hero, are not the usual Regency characters. He's no rake. He's an ex-officer who, upon becoming an earl, goes into Parliament to passionately champion the cause of former soldiers. Lilliana is both a serious scientist (chemist) and a healer, and is frustrated because she's totally rejected and ignored by the scientific community because she's a woman. Neither have any interest whatsoever ...more
Betty
Feb 16, 2012 Betty rated it it was amazing
Geoffrey, the Earl of Straford is a war hero who takes his responsibilities very seriously. Miss Liliana Claremont, a young woman focused on a career rather than marriage comes into Geoffrey's life. She believes that Geoffrey's father murdered her father. There is witty dialogue, mystery, suspense, and a lot of sexual tension between Liliana and Geoffrey that keeps the story moving pretty quickly. I found this an excellent read and look forward to reading more from Heather Snow.
Linda Kage
May 30, 2012 Linda Kage rated it it was amazing
Great historical romance with plenty of romance, intrigue and chemistry...all kinds of chemistry!!! I love it when a hero or heroine is ready to sacrifice everything they've worked for in the story all for the name of love. So sweet. Great characters, great one-liners, great mystery to solve.

And I was ready to read Aveline's story from his first line. Thank goodness he's the hero of book two in the series.
Donna
Feb 09, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
I just happened upon this book at Walmart and was intrigued by the back blurb, so I bought it. I absolutely loved this!! I loved both Liliana and Geoffrey and thought their romance was great. I thought their actions and reactions were very credible. Sometimes romance novels tend to be overwrought with the characters reacting in extremes and I didn't find that in this book. I thought the ending was great!!
Maria
Jan 15, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written debut and a fantastic story! Gorgeous writing, intriguing hero and heroine with hidden facets and depths, a layered plot with lots of emotion and feeling, and a wonderful portrait of a Regency country house party.

The crisp and intelligent dialogue between Liliana and Geoffrey is some of the best I’ve read and it crackles with heat and spark. She is intelligent, witty, and smart, a chemist and a healer like her late parents. Liliana seeks the truth behind her father’
Sevimli Hırsız
Jul 03, 2013 Sevimli Hırsız rated it really liked it

Güzel bir kitaptı. Kızın kimyager olması farklı bir hava katmış. Ama başında damdan düşer gibi âşık olmalarını sevmedim. Onun dışında yazarı takip edeceğimi söyleyebilirim. Farklı bir konusu olmasa da farklı bir tadı vardı. :D
Aly is so frigging bored
DNF 20%
I just don't care what happens.
  • An Affair with Mr. Kennedy (The Gentlemen of Scotland Yard, #1)
  • Not Wicked Enough (Reforming the Scoundrels, #1)
  • The Runaway Countess (Nottinghamshire, #1)
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • A Lady's Revenge (Nexus, #1)
  • How to Dance with a Duke (Ugly Ducklings, #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • More Than a Stranger (Sealed With a Kiss, #1)
  • Secrets of a Wedding Night (Secret Brides, #1)
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • The Duchess Diaries (Boscastle #12; The Bridal Pleasures, #3)
  • Almost a Scandal (The Reckless Brides, #1)
  • The Rogue Pirate's Bride (The Sons of the Revolution, #3)
  • A Gentleman Undone (Blackshear Family, #2)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • Mad About the Earl (Ministry of Marriage, #2)
  • Secrets of an Accidental Duchess (Donovan Sisters, #2)
Heather Snow is an award winning historical romance author with a degree in Chemistry who found she much preferred creating chemistry on the page, rather than in the lab. She lives in the Midwest with her husband, two rambunctious boys and one very put upon cat. She loves to hear from readers, and can be reached at Heather@HeatherSnowBooks.com.
More about Heather Snow...

Veiled Seduction (3 books)
  • Sweet Deception (Veiled Seduction, #2)
  • Sweet Madness (Veiled Seduction, #3)

“She turned her head to him then. Her face was as cool as the sea off Cornwall, yet her eyes blazed purple fire. "No, thank you, my Lord", she said bitingly. "I find I no longer care for your library, or anything in it.” 6 likes
“Damned woman.
Ever since she’d dropped into his
arms last night, he’d been tied in knots. On one hand, desire gripped him. On the other, the need to turn her over his knee until she admitted it was the same for her rode him.
On the third hand, if he had a third hand, lay the question of who she
was. Why had he never seen her out in
society? But more important, why was he
so conflicted over this rude, irritating
girl?
Hell, that was like five hands. He’d
have to be Kali to decipher his response
to Liliana Claremont.

Geoffrey Wentworth, Earl of Stratford”
4 likes