Start by marking “Babies on the Go” as Want to Read:
Babies on the Go

Babies on the Go

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  23 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Linda Ashman (Can You Make a Piggy Giggle?) and Jane Dyer (I Love You like Crazy Cakes) team up for a sweet exploration of how babies get around. Ashman's clever rhymes explain how tykes of many species travel ("Rolling by in baby strollers / Holding tight to Mother's shoulders / Grabbing on to clumps of hair / Riding bareback through the air")
Published April 1st 2003 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Babies on the Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Babies on the Go

Sarah Sammis
Now that Sean and Harriet have a baby cousin they have gotten a little obsessed with babies. I checked out Babies on the Go by Linda Ashman to read to my daughter. It's a picture book about different kinds of animal babies and how the get around.

Each pair of pages shows a different baby animal and a parent. Some babies are learning to walk. Some are riding on the parent's back. Some are carried in the mouth. Some float on the parent's belly and so forth.

The cute illustrations of baby animals hel
Karawan
Goes through a wide variety of animals and how their mothers transport them from place to place.

I loved this and Gavin actually sat still in my lap and paid attention to the whole thing, which is rare in these early walking days....
I wasn't sure he'd like drawings of animals as much as his books with more colorful photographs, but they did hold his attention. The fact that the text is rhyming also makes it fun to read out loud. The last page has thumbnail drawings of all the animals who appear i
Asho
This is a fun way to introduce different types of animals. I was surprised by how much I learned from this book, actually. Did you know that beavers ride on their mother's tails, or that swans carry their babies on their backs, or that alligators carry their babies in their mouths? It was a good lesson for mom, and my son enjoyed looking at the pictures as I made goofy animal noises (which were not actually written in the book, I should add. :-))
Danielle Butler
In this story, children learn different ways animals carry their young ones that are not yet mobile.

This book teaches children different ways some animals move around comparing them to the way humans move around. I believe this would be a good book to read when talking about transportation because it gives a different look on the topic than the usual ways. The wording is simple and the text seems easy to understand for young children.
Jess Brown
Goes through a slew of animal babies and their parents, showing the different ways they travel and play together. A helpful "Meet the Babies" guide in the back which tells you what each animal is more specifically (for grown-ups who might not even know themselves!). I know some toddlers who would adore this book--and be able to identify EVERY animal.
Mehjabeen
This is filled with good rhyme, good pictures, a good simple explanation of the fact that all babies have their own unique ways of moving here and there and everywhere. Simple, straightforward and good. A keeper for any collection for age 0 - 6(ish). The latter may find it too "baby-ish" but likely some 6 year olds would find it fine.
Dawn
I will read this book to my daughter over and over. I really like all the animals in this book (it even has a key to some of the more unusual animals in the back) and how it explains how human babies are carried differently than other other babies. Combines learning and storytime in a great way.
Jill
Very well done. The illustrations are pretty, and the book is all about different ways that babies are carried around by their parents. It was interesting and I think adults and children alike will enjoy flipping through the pages. I didn't realize how some animals carry their babies around.
Michelle
This book depicts the different ways a mother brings her children with her. It was fun to read because it has adorable pictures and the sentences rhyme. It also teaches children about different animals. I loved it and if I ever have children, I would get this book for them.
Senna Compton
We loved this one -- all the more so as Senna likes us to "wear" her in a cuddle wrap or a sling. It was wonderful to introduce her to the many different ways that animals carry their young, on their bellies, in their mouths, and on their backs. A parental hit.
Ruth
I love the various pictures of animals with their offsprings. I feel it is a great and subtle way to demonstrate the world to kids. With each animal a parent can point out which country the animal originated from.
Meredith Miner
This book would be great to use with young students as they are very curious about baby animals. It is very similar to, Mommy, Carry Me Please!, so I am excited to use these as paired texts.
Guadalupe Ramirez
This book is a short easy read. I would read this book to Pre-K or Kindergarten students when doing a lesson on animals or if one of the students' parents are expecting a baby.
Gail
My 19 month old daughter wasn't really into this. I however like the diversity of animals and the educational aspect.
Tara
Cute book, realistic drawings of a variety of animals. Nice guide at the back identifying all the animals.
Amber Baker
Jun 26, 2008 Amber Baker rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers, small children
This was a really cute book. Good pictures, simpler sentences. Madie read it on her own.
Sarah Ziskend
Very simplistic (k-2) but good for:
1. Compare contrast
2. Read alouds
3. Animals
Kate
Kate loves the rhyme of the text and looking at all of the different animals
Jen H.
I love this book. Great for babies and toddlers. Also in a board book.
Carol
Available and successful in board book format as well.
Kari
One of my absolute favorite toddler books.
JFK Library
T. Stanley used for science animal studies 4/11.
Heather
This makes a lovely sing along.
Mikah
Mikah marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Kaycie
Kaycie added it
Apr 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Linda Ashman's children's books have been named to the "best of the year" lists of the New York Times, Parenting Magazine, Child Magazine, New York Public Library, the Bank Street College of Education, the IRA/CBC and more. She is also the author of The Nuts and Bolts Guide to Writing Picture Books .

Linda lives in Chapel Hill, North Carolina with her husband, Jack Hicks, their son Jackson, and
More about Linda Ashman...
Rain! Starry Safari No Dogs Allowed! Samantha on a Roll Creaky Old House: A Topsy-Turvy Tale of a Real Fixer-Upper