Start by marking “The Secret Lives of Saints: Child Brides and Lost Boys in a Polygamous Mormon Sect” as Want to Read:

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  19 reviews
The Secret Lives of Saints paints a troubling portrait of an extreme religious sect. These zealous believers impose severe and often violent restrictions on women, deprive children of education and opt instead to school them in the tenets of their faith, defy the law and move freely and secretly over international borders. They punish dissent with violence and even death. ...more
Published April 3rd 2009 by Random House Canada (first published March 25th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Lives of Saints, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Lives of Saints

May
A fascinating and disturbing look at how a polygamous sect was allowed to establish a strong foothold in British Columbia and how powerless we seem to be in trying to combat it. What I learned the most from this book is how much of a blind eye that governments will turn when it comes to dealing with a local group claiming religious freedom and protection under our Charter of Rights of Freedom and yet, can perpetuate horrific abuse against women and children alike. As the author points out, why c ...more
Lucy
Having heard about Mormons and not knowing anything about them or their practices other than their being polygamous, I thought this was book was highly informative. However, I don't think polygamy is as "terrible" as it is made out to be in this book. So called leaders who have abused and perverted their positions are the major problems, not polygamy.

What disappointed me most was the Canadian governments failure to act, to help these women and children. My highest respect goes to Wally Oppal wh
Dee brown
This doesn't touch too much on Warren Jeffs, but more on their cult in Canada. It gives a brief history of Mormonism, and how polygamy was revitalized. It tells how older men where "married" to child brides, and of the lost boys who were booted out of the FDLS.
If you're interested in learning more about Sister Wives , then pick this book up!!
Susan Bazzett-griffith
This book took me forever to finish, partly due to life in general, and partly due to the fact that it was So. Dry. The book reads like an academic paper, and in parts, a legal transcript. The information and interviews were extensively well-researched, and if someone was looking for a primer that covers all of North American polygamist history, this book would be great. For someone who is looking for a riveting and interesting read about polygamous culture, this is one to pass on, as there are ...more
Miriam Martin
Love love love anything to do with Mormonism and the FLDS, but as usual with this sort of "expose", I found the writing a bit dry and journalistic. Worth reading though, and I learned that a consultant we have worked with in the AIDS Service Field was an advisor to the ministry of children and family development (perhaps previously called "child welfare"?) and one of the key original players in trying to get Blackmore charged for exploiting and abusing women and children ... Dyan Dunsmoor-Farley ...more
Mary
Bramham is a journalist, working for the Vancouver Star. This book developed out of her investigative articles about the FLDS community called Bountiful, located in British Columbia. As Utah, Arizona and Texas continue to pursue the issue of exploitative treatment of women and girls within the FLDS belief system, Bountiful and its residents will be in U.S. newspapers more frequently. Young women have been moved back and forth from Canada to Texas over the recent past. Bramham obviously has bias ...more
Charlotte
I was very disappointed in this book. I've read alot about the FLDS and was hoping to learn more about the Canadian branch but found this book very convoluted, repetitive, and outdated. I need to investigate what has happened since its writing, although I fear not much has changed. I really didn't learn anything new and felt frustrated trying to keep the various people and groups straight. There are definitely better books out there, if you're interested in learning about this cult.
Neeuqdrazil
This was interesting, although I found some of her arguments disingenuous. It was also confusing at a number of points, mostly because there are only 4 or 5 last names in the entire book, and the first names get shared around a lot, too.
Liz
The author somehow manages to make this topic, which I usually find fascinating, totally boring and slow moving. Her writing feels disjointed, jumping all over the place and chapters end abruptly. A shame, I was hoping for better.
Jessica Pratezina
Sensationalized. Relies too heavily on apostate narratives rather than triangulating sources. Makes the mistake of focussing on polygamy as the source of the oppression in FLDS communities rather than extreme patriarchy.
Jessica
fasctinating really, however not the most well-written book out there. excellent to follow carolyn jessop's biography, more history and detail to what her life must have been like.
Janalee
It only took me 2 days to read this book. I really appreciated the background on the community and it's relation to both the FLDS and the LDS church.
Dorinda
Being from Creston, I am very familiar with the FLDS. This book gave the history or the FLDS in Canada. It was a very heavy read but was well worth it.
Joyce Findlay
horrifying..in the middle and I need a light mental break..so reading Home from the Vinyl Cafe..then back to it..
Daria
Jul 16, 2009 Daria rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Curious Minds
Things that make you go 'hmmmm' and make you cock your eyebrows. This is a fascinating, and harrowing, read.
Greysie
An eye opener. Wonderfully written. Fascinating and a powerful story.
Julia
This one is about polygamous groups in Canada. They are everywhere.
Kathryn Frank
Makes me glad I'm not a Mormon!
Elisa Struve
Elisa Struve marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015
Hyaliine
Hyaliine marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Maya Grace
Maya Grace marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2015
Kat Evans
Kat Evans marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Sonya v.e.
Sonya v.e. marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Bernadette Carrillo
Bernadette Carrillo marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Angela Zippin
Angela Zippin marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
  • God's Brothel: The Extortion of Sex for Salvation
  • Daughters of Zion: A Family's Conversion to Polygamy
  • When Men Become Gods: Mormon Polygamist Warren Jeffs, His Cult of Fear, and the Women Who Fought Back
  • Cult Insanity: A Memoir of Polygamy, Prophets, and Blood Atonement
  • Secrets and Wives: The Hidden World of Mormon Polygamy
  • Church of Lies
  • Prophet of Death: The Mormon Blood-Atonement Killings
  • Heaven's Harlots: My Fifteen Years as a Sacred Prostitute in the Children of God Cult
  • His Favorite Wife: Trapped in Polygamy
  • Daughter of the Saints: Growing Up in Polygamy
  • Prophet's Prey: My Seven-Year Investigation into Warren Jeffs and the Fundamentalist Church of Latter-Day Saints
  • Triumph
  • Answer Them Nothing: Bringing Down the Polygamous Empire of Warren Jeffs
  • Secret Ceremonies: A Mormon Woman's Intimate Diary of Marriage and Beyond
  • Lost Boy
  • Keep Sweet: Children of Polygamy
  • Wife No. 19
  • Seductive Poison: A Jonestown Survivor's Story of Life and Death in the People's Temple