Start by marking “Where the Heart Leads” as Want to Read:
Where the Heart Leads

Where the Heart Leads

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  1,006 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
With the loss of his mother, the final threads that bind Jonathon Brandt to home are gone forever, and he leaves Boston, hoping to never return. The year is 1894, and Jonathon is eager to head west to California to find a new life, a new profession, and an escape from the disastrous relationship with his father.

Jonathon's journey westward allows him the opportunity to sto
Unknown Binding, 246 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Covenant Communications

To ask other readers questions about Where the Heart Leads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Heart Leads

Kaitlyn
May 24, 2008 Kaitlyn rated it it was amazing
"With the loss of his mother, the final threads that bind Jonathon Brandt to home are gone forever, and he leaves Boston, hoping to never return. The year is 1894, and Jonathan is eager to head west to California to find a new life, new profession, and an escape from the disastrous relationship with his father.
"Jonathan's journey westward allows him to stop and visit his beloved Aunt Ellie, who lives in small, Central Utah town. He falls in love with the scenery the same day he falls in love w
Shelly
Oct 23, 2010 Shelly rated it it was ok
When I find myself rolling my eyes as I read, it's just not a good sign. I tend to avoid "Mormon" literature because it's just a bit too cheesy for me, but thought I'd give Anita Stansfield a try. I was not impressed. This book seemed more like a cute little story than a novel, the ending was predictable, there wasn't much depth, and I didn't feel much attachment to any of the characters. There are a few hardships for these people, but none of them came through as a real climax or struggle, sinc ...more
Ashley
Feb 12, 2015 Ashley rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Ashley by: Steph
Shelves: 2010-reads
It is written by an LDS author & talks quite a bit about the religion. I really didn't mind, it "fit" the book- if you know what I mean. The plot offered enough twists and turns to keep me interested, but it is the characters that provide the real entertainment. Stansfield employs a host of colorful minor players, including Maddie's cantankerous father, a thoughtful hick named Ernest Mortensen (reminded me so much of my own Daddy) and two lovable matchmaking friends.
I really enjoyed this boo
Shauna
Apr 11, 2009 Shauna added it
I love everything I have read by Anita Stansfield. This one was set in the 1800's. Jon's mother dies and on the day of her death he packs up and leaves home trying to get away from a father that he believes does not love him and will never be proud of him. He meets Maddie and it is love at first sight. Her father however is not pleased with her relationship. This book shares their struggles and strains between family relationships.
Leiah
Aug 09, 2008 Leiah rated it really liked it
Once I tried to read an Anita Stansfield book and I didn't get much farther than the first chapter - it was a total soap opera and actually made me feel uncomfortable. However, a friend dropped this book off to me and because I was currently out of books I read it. I actually really enjoyed it. It was very cute, uplifiting, and simply enjoyable. Not soap opera in any way. It took place in the early 1900's.
Terisa
May 25, 2010 Terisa rated it really liked it
This was a good escape as all Anita Stansfield books are. It is nice to sit and read about someone else and get away from reality for a while. But when reading you have to remember that not people can solve there problems so quickly and with the same unwavering faith. I think it is the little bit of doubt that makes us stronger in the end.
Hailey
Jul 01, 2011 Hailey rated it it was amazing
the perfect book with the best ending! A book of trial and error in a newlyweds lives that is the perfect trail for this couple. the setting is the perfect place, and the timing is just perfect. Anita Stansfield is a wonderful author.
Michelle Llewellyn
Sep 28, 2010 Michelle Llewellyn rated it did not like it
If this is your first Anita Stansfield book, please, put this book down NOW and go read First Love and Forever before you do anything else.
Somewhere between "Towers of Brierley" and "A Star in Winter" her writing took a turn for the worst. Go read her earlier works. Much better!
Ann
Jan 30, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while you just need to read a good love story. In my opinion Anita Stansfield writes some of the best. This book is a really quick and easy read. It just leaves you with a warm fuzzy and makes you wanna go hug your hunny.
Wendy
Oct 16, 2007 Wendy rated it liked it
I really liked the setting for this book. The time period was great. Again I felt the description of emations was a little over the top. The resolution at the end of the book a felt a little to easy. Over all it was a fun easy read.
Teri
Nov 03, 2008 Teri rated it really liked it
This is a very short, quick read, I read it and the sequel in less than a day. It was a fun period romance that was clean and easy to read. Not a great amount of depth to the story, but a lot of faith in Jesus Christ throughout. Good for a quick, clean, faith promoting read.
Juliekjewell
Feb 27, 2009 Juliekjewell rated it liked it
I enjoyed the trip back in time to 1894, the simple life and gentle feelings portrayed. However, the hero was prone to shedding tears and the heroine cried all the time as well. Somehow it didn't seem natural that a 19th century man would be so in touch with his feelings.
Christina
This lacks the intensity of most of the other Anita Stansfield novels, and I like the Barrington Saga better (also set in the early days of the LDS church), but this is a touching story. I just didn't get into it as much as I usually do - I didn't relate to the characters as well.
Vanessa
Jan 20, 2014 Vanessa rated it really liked it
A historical romance with a very modern twist! Enjoyed the fire of the heroine and the sharp mind of the hero.. he surely knew when to give in!
Kylee
Apr 15, 2009 Kylee rated it really liked it
So CUTE! I loved it! The beginning was kind of slow, but once you get into the story it's really good! So romantic...
Maggie
Mar 31, 2009 Maggie added it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: anita-stansfield
Filled with intrigue and romance,Where the Heart Leads is a compelling story of heartbreaking loss, inspiring discovery, and a love that overcomes all obstacles.
Kimberlee
Jun 25, 2009 Kimberlee rated it really liked it
Cheesy, sappy, love story. Sometimes I like that kind of quick brainless read. If you want a quick sticky sweet love story, her books are good for that.
Susan
Feb 02, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Jonathon and Maddie Jo have some major obstacles to overcome. Their miracles, however, are worth all the hard work it takes to get them.
Alyson
Feb 13, 2016 Alyson rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2014 Jessica rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, lds-fiction
I really enjoyed this book. Whereas I can often predict where Anita's stories are headed, I wasn't able with this one. It was a fun read - and contained some profound words of wisdom throughout.
Alison
Jun 03, 2010 Alison rated it liked it
Reading this for our book club...it was good, not great, not extraordinary, and not very memorable, I'm afraid. The plot was good and I'm thankful for a clean, wholesome book.
Julie
Jun 11, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it
Shelves: lds-fiction
A really easy read, but I must say I really enjoyed it. It's a pretty typical Anita Stansfield, but sometimes that's the kind of reading I'm in the mood for. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
May 10, 2010 Jessica rated it really liked it
I was really hesitant to read this author...a lds romance? But, it was surprisingly not as clique and silly as I expected..a rather interesting story. I think I will try her again and just see.
Aug 15, 2008 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: just-for-fun
I really enjoyed this book. I liked the depth of character and the way they had to learn to see more than their own perspective. Good stuff.
Alexis
Jun 14, 2010 Alexis rated it really liked it
I am reading this for the book club in my ward. My mom liked it, and if any of you have read it, please let me know how you liked it!
Chelsea Raadgep
Feb 02, 2010 Chelsea Raadgep rated it it was amazing
Oh, I loved this one. It made a great impact on me and taught me that if you want something, or someone in your life, you have to fight for them and never give up. I really loved this story.
Mashell
Jun 10, 2010 Mashell rated it liked it
Shelves: religious, romance
I read this for a ward book club. Some parts were 3 stars, some parts were 4 stars. Althought EXTREMELY predictable, 'endearing' is the best word I can think of to describe my overall feeling.
RaeLatte
RaeLatte rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2008
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2010
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Where The Heart Leads 1 4 Oct 21, 2015 06:46PM
Good Book! 1 7 Mar 16, 2009 04:18PM
  • When Tomorrow Comes
  • By Morning Light
  • Without a Flaw
Anita Stansfield, the LDS market's #1 best-selling romance novelist, is an imaginative and prolific writer whose romantic stories have captivated her readers.
"With sales approaching a half million, Anita Stansfield has clearly found a niche in this market," said Nicole Martin, Publicist for Covenant Communications. "Her popularity stems from her ability to empathize with and write about the issues
More about Anita Stansfield...

“It's not what happens to us that molds us. It's what we do with what happens to us.” 29 likes