Start by marking “Back to the Batcave” as Want to Read:
Back to the Batcave

Back to the Batcave

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The star of television's legendary show Batman gives a behind-the-scenes tour of what really went on in Gotham City, offering many revealing anecdotes, candid photographs, and a complete episode guide.
Published September 1st 1994 by Berkley Trade (first published June 6th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Batcave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Batcave

Andy
Apr 09, 2008 Andy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: batman fans
Shelves: hollywoodbabylon
Adam West autographed my copy. How much did he charge? I don't remember, ha! ha!
Let's face it, he's an awful actor but was perfect in playing a two-dimensional comic book character. I like everything about this book, even the end where Burt Ward and he are reduced to wearing their costumes to supermarket openings in the early 1970's. Adam West will always be Batman, fuck Michael Keaton, George Clooney and all those other fakes!
Michael
May 05, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-bio
I was born in 1967 and became an avid Batman fan as a result of encountering reruns of the television show, back when I was too young to know it was a comedy. That led me to the comic books, in which I discovered the artwork of Neal Adams and the grim, gritty Batman of the early seventies (which, at least in part, eventually led to a career in illustrative design). So the pop art sixties Batman and "The Batman" in his darker incarnation always co-existed for me. Regardless, in my mind Adam West ...more
Dustin Gaughran
Jul 10, 2014 Dustin Gaughran rated it liked it
I read Burt Ward's tell-all style book first, unaware that Adam West also a BatBook out there predating Ward's. ("Why the sudden interest", you may not be asking yourself? A Batman marathon over the Fourth of July weekend. I still love that show). So, where Ward's book was a cheesy sort of scandal sheet style that went on at great length about Batman and Robin's sexual conquests, Adam West's book was more of a civilized remembrance of the Batman era. As the introduction states, it is not a full ...more
Ed Nemo
Jul 06, 2012 Ed Nemo rated it really liked it
Shelves: biograghy
I like Adam West. It is that simple. He is an actor that has been one of my favorite characters of all time. Reading this book you get the feel of what it is like to be the most desired TV star in the world for an all too brief amount of time. Girls in the trailer, getting thrown out of Hollywood orgies with the Riddler, (this part was thankfully written as an aside and tastefully).

I find the comparisons between William Shatner and Adam West to be frighteningly accurate. Both were extremely fam
Travis McClain
Jan 27, 2011 Travis McClain rated it really liked it
In his introduction, Adam West makes clear that Back to the Batcave is "about the show, the phenomenon, the legacy, the stars and the spectacular highs and difficult lows" that accompanied being Batman from 1966 until 1968. This isn't a full-on autobiography; West only explores other facets of his life as they pertain to providing a larger context for the meaning of the series in his life.

Fans have decried for years that the TV show was "camp," a point that West refutes throughout this book. He
David Halford
Nov 01, 2013 David Halford rated it really liked it
This is a great book for any bat-fan. I grew up on this show and it gave me a lifelong obsession with the worlds greatest detective, and I have Adam West to thank for it. The book is an easy read, and while it's really a biography about Adam West, 95% of it is about his time as the caped crusader. There are a lot of fun 'did you know'-moments and some surprises for the fans, and most of the book is very lighthearted.

The final few chapters however are a bit heavier as Adam tells his side of the
Andrew Ives
Aug 03, 2011 Andrew Ives rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable read, with insightful, occasionally poignant chapters on life after Batman and the cancellation of the show. Possibly exaggerated in places for comedic purposes and possibly a bit one-sided at times, it was nonetheless a measured and reasonably humble behind-the-scenes account of the 'glory days' of the late 1960s. I personally liked Adam West's take on how a late 1980s Batman film could've been, rather than the Tim Burton version we all know. It would've been nice to see such a ...more
Mike Jensen
Jan 28, 2015 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
A mixed bad, this book. First the positive: West and Roven were wise to make the vast majority of the book about the experience of being Batman in the TV series that began in 1966, for Adam West has not had a very interesting life apart from that, which he confesses without realizing he is confessing it. The first 50 pages about his life before Batman seem much longer as you read them. The rest is a very personal view of making the series that goes into more detail than I expected. Most of this ...more
Jim Berkin
Jul 23, 2012 Jim Berkin rated it really liked it
Batman remains one of my all time favorite TV shows - I even did part of my undergrad thesis on it. West's memoir is a fun read, especially when he discusses working with the other cast members and especially the guest stars. He has great stories about who was wonderful to work with (like Vincent Price, to no surprise) to who was horrible (Otto Preminger, also to no surprise). With no official DVD release of the show, this is the closest you'll get to a commentary track!
Matt Anderson
Apr 22, 2014 Matt Anderson rated it really liked it
As a child, I was a huge fan of the 1966 Batman television series. I watched it in reruns when I was in elementary school, and the nostalgia factor has made it a favorite of mine to this day. In this book, the TV show's star, Adam West (the man that played Bruce Wayne/Batman) gives us his bat-centric autobiography. I say "bat-centric" because the book doesn't describe a lot of West's life outside of his involvement with the Batman series.

It was fun to read behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the s
Kim
Jul 12, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography-memoir
Excellent insider guide to the T.V Batman. West writes with humor and insight. He humbly presents just the facts regarding the show and some tivia along the way. Like the fact that Burt Ward was actualy a black-belt in Tae Kwan-Do. Other cool facts await all fans of the Bat! Do the batoosie!
S.R. Dixon
Mar 28, 2012 S.R. Dixon rated it liked it
A pleasantly average autobiography, full of very general recollections and (unfortunately) few specific stories or great insights. Still, it didn't hurt anything.
Bruce
Apr 05, 2013 Bruce rated it really liked it
Enjoying the hell out of this. A well written memoir. I've always wanted to meed Mr. West to thank him for his work, not just as Batman, and now even more so.
Drew
Feb 09, 2016 Drew rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2016
Holy blast to the past, Batman! If you haven't guessed by about half of the books I've read this year so far, I am a huge Batman fan; some of my fondest memories were as a kid watching the old reruns of the Batman TV show from the 1960s with my grandparents when I would stay with them on the weekends. This book brought me back to those times, especially with the sporadic pictures of West as the famed Caped Crusader. (In fact, it may have been this hint of nostalgia that made me rate the book so ...more
Mark
May 19, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
Truly wonderful insight and humor from THE title lead actor of such and iconic TV program. It was a pleasure to read.
Karl
Apr 07, 2011 Karl rated it it was amazing
If you are a fan of Adam West and the Batman TV show of the 60s', then you must read this book.
Ben Flay
Aug 21, 2011 Ben Flay rated it it was amazing
brilliant warm charming see the movie to
Rob
Oct 24, 2012 Rob rated it liked it
Worth reading if you're a Bat-fan.
Dominick
Dec 12, 2014 Dominick rated it liked it
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this was something of a letdown. Actually, I'm a bit sad that I didn't like it better, as West comes across as honest and fairly decent, acknowledging (tastefully) his pecadilloes and being generous (usually) in his comments about others. But the book just doesn't have that much to offer. Even within its narrow scope--West is up-front from the beginning that this isn't a full-blown auitobiography but specifically a book about the Bat-phenomenon--it just come ...more
Phil Williams
Jan 25, 2015 Phil Williams rated it it was amazing
The 1960's were an unusual time for television with popular family shows like The Addams Family, The Munsters and Bewitched. Then in 1966 Batman premiered on ABC to phenomenal ratings.

In Back to the Batcave, Adam West details the everyday workings of the show, the cast and it's many, many guest stars. Fans of the show get a beautiful behind-the-scenes look at what it was like to work on the set and how it affected not only the actors, but also it's sometimes fanatical fans.

A Bat-tastic fun read
Chuck White
Jan 26, 2016 Chuck White rated it really liked it
Shelves: biographies
I've been a Batman fan all my life, and a fan of the 60s series since the early 70s, when the show was on nightly in syndication. I've met Adam West on three occasions and he has always been kind, funny and gracious with his time. This attitude is reflected in this engaging trip down memory lane, as Adam recounts his childhood, his early years in Hollywood, the era of Batmania and finally, his career since. Since this book was published in 1994, my only wish is that Adam does an updated version, ...more
Duncan Wilson
Jan 04, 2013 Duncan Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a great read for all batfans. you may already be aware of some of the stories in this book (such at the on set antics of otto preminger)but is still a great read. it does deal with the events leading up to and after the batman series and adam is brave enough to voice his opinions on certains matters. interestingly as he was a contemporary of roger moore's he also conducts himself well with greta decorum and no real kiss and tell stuff. things maybe alluded to but never specified. all in all I th ...more
Denise Galloni
May 30, 2016 Denise Galloni rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable stories from the caped crusader himself.
F
May 15, 2015 F rated it really liked it
Surprising revelations- but interesting.
Nettie Britts
Nettie Britts marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Austin
Austin marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Ken P
Ken P added it
Aug 14, 2016
Craig
Craig rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2016
Ali
Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
Does Batman have to be grim to be liked? 1 1 Apr 28, 2012 10:49AM
  • Bill the Boy Wonder: The Secret Co-Creator of Batman
  • Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights
  • I'm a Believer: My Life of Monkees, Music, and Madness
  • A Boy Named Shel: The Life and Times of Shel Silverstein
  • Gotham City 14 Miles: 14 Essays on Why the 1960s Batman TV Series Matters
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Archives, Vol. 1
  • The Bunny Years: The Surprising Inside Story of the Playboy Clubs: The Women Who Worked as Bunnies and Where They Are Now
  • The Boy Who Loved Batman