Back to the Batcave

Back to the Batcave

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  17 reviews
The star of television's legendary show Batman gives a behind-the-scenes tour of what really went on in Gotham City, offering many revealing anecdotes, candid photographs, and a complete episode guide.
Published September 1st 1994 by Berkley Trade

To ask other readers questions about Back to the Batcave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back to the Batcave

Andy
Apr 09, 2008 Andy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: batman fans
Shelves: hollywoodbabylon
Adam West autographed my copy. How much did he charge? I don't remember, ha! ha!
Let's face it, he's an awful actor but was perfect in playing a two-dimensional comic book character. I like everything about this book, even the end where Burt Ward and he are reduced to wearing their costumes to supermarket openings in the early 1970's. Adam West will always be Batman, fuck Michael Keaton, George Clooney and all those other fakes!
Michael
I was born in 1967 and became an avid Batman fan as a result of encountering reruns of the television show, back when I was too young to know it was a comedy. That led me to the comic books, in which I discovered the artwork of Neal Adams and the grim, gritty Batman of the early seventies (which, at least in part, eventually led to a career in illustrative design). So the pop art sixties Batman and "The Batman" in his darker incarnation always co-existed for me. Regardless, in my mind Adam West...more
Dustin Gaughran
I read Burt Ward's tell-all style book first, unaware that Adam West also a BatBook out there predating Ward's. ("Why the sudden interest", you may not be asking yourself? A Batman marathon over the Fourth of July weekend. I still love that show). So, where Ward's book was a cheesy sort of scandal sheet style that went on at great length about Batman and Robin's sexual conquests, Adam West's book was more of a civilized remembrance of the Batman era. As the introduction states, it is not a full...more
Ed Nemo
I like Adam West. It is that simple. He is an actor that has been one of my favorite characters of all time. Reading this book you get the feel of what it is like to be the most desired TV star in the world for an all too brief amount of time. Girls in the trailer, getting thrown out of Hollywood orgies with the Riddler, (this part was thankfully written as an aside and tastefully).

I find the comparisons between William Shatner and Adam West to be frighteningly accurate. Both were extremely fam...more
Travis Mcclain
In his introduction, Adam West makes clear that Back to the Batcave is "about the show, the phenomenon, the legacy, the stars and the spectacular highs and difficult lows" that accompanied being Batman from 1966 until 1968. This isn't a full-on autobiography; West only explores other facets of his life as they pertain to providing a larger context for the meaning of the series in his life.

Fans have decried for years that the TV show was "camp," a point that West refutes throughout this book. He...more
David Halford
This is a great book for any bat-fan. I grew up on this show and it gave me a lifelong obsession with the worlds greatest detective, and I have Adam West to thank for it. The book is an easy read, and while it's really a biography about Adam West, 95% of it is about his time as the caped crusader. There are a lot of fun 'did you know'-moments and some surprises for the fans, and most of the book is very lighthearted.

The final few chapters however are a bit heavier as Adam tells his side of the...more
Andrew Ives
A very enjoyable read, with insightful, occasionally poignant chapters on life after Batman and the cancellation of the show. Possibly exaggerated in places for comedic purposes and possibly a bit one-sided at times, it was nonetheless a measured and reasonably humble behind-the-scenes account of the 'glory days' of the late 1960s. I personally liked Adam West's take on how a late 1980s Batman film could've been, rather than the Tim Burton version we all know. It would've been nice to see such a...more
Jim Berkin
Batman remains one of my all time favorite TV shows - I even did part of my undergrad thesis on it. West's memoir is a fun read, especially when he discusses working with the other cast members and especially the guest stars. He has great stories about who was wonderful to work with (like Vincent Price, to no surprise) to who was horrible (Otto Preminger, also to no surprise). With no official DVD release of the show, this is the closest you'll get to a commentary track!
Dominick
I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this was something of a letdown. Actually, I'm a bit sad that I didn't like it better, as West comes across as honest and fairly decent, acknowledging (tastefully) his pecadilloes and being generous (usually) in his comments about others. But the book just doesn't have that much to offer. Even within its narrow scope--West is up-front from the beginning that this isn't a full-blown auitobiography but specifically a book about the Bat-phenomenon--it just come...more
Matt Anderson
As a child, I was a huge fan of the 1966 Batman television series. I watched it in reruns when I was in elementary school, and the nostalgia factor has made it a favorite of mine to this day. In this book, the TV show's star, Adam West (the man that played Bruce Wayne/Batman) gives us his bat-centric autobiography. I say "bat-centric" because the book doesn't describe a lot of West's life outside of his involvement with the Batman series.

It was fun to read behind-the-scenes anecdotes about the s...more
Kim
Excellent insider guide to the T.V Batman. West writes with humor and insight. He humbly presents just the facts regarding the show and some tivia along the way. Like the fact that Burt Ward was actualy a black-belt in Tae Kwan-Do. Other cool facts await all fans of the Bat! Do the batoosie!
S.R. Dixon
A pleasantly average autobiography, full of very general recollections and (unfortunately) few specific stories or great insights. Still, it didn't hurt anything.
Bruce
Enjoying the hell out of this. A well written memoir. I've always wanted to meed Mr. West to thank him for his work, not just as Batman, and now even more so.
Mark
Truly wonderful insight and humor from THE title lead actor of such and iconic TV program. It was a pleasure to read.
Karl
If you are a fan of Adam West and the Batman TV show of the 60s', then you must read this book.
Ben Flay
brilliant warm charming see the movie to
Rob
Worth reading if you're a Bat-fan.
Juniper
Juniper marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Cheyenne Leonard
Cheyenne Leonard marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Laura added it
Aug 01, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jessica
Jessica is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2014
Anthony
Anthony marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Orion Zangara
Orion Zangara marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
James Turner
James Turner marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Does Batman have to be grim to be liked? 1 1 Apr 28, 2012 01:49AM
9781852865290 The Mis-Adventures of Adam West - Volume 1, #1 Short Drink from a Certain Fountain: The Passersby Catwoman: The Life and Times of a Feline Fatale Batman: In the Sixties