Start by marking “A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)” as Want to Read:
A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)

A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak #13)

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  1,919 ratings  ·  79 reviews
Everyone knew Len Dreyer, a handyman for hire in the Park near Niniltna, Alaska, but no one knew anything else about him. Even Kate Shugak hired him to thin the trees on her 160-acre homestead and was planning to ask him to help build a small second cabin on her property for Johnny Morgan, a teenaged boy in her care. But she, the Park's unofficial p.i., seems to have known ...more
Published September 9th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Grave Denied, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Grave Denied

Barbara ★
Kate Shugak is finally, finally over the loss of Jack Morgan (well sort of) when his son Johnny appears on her doorstep. Jack's dying request was for Kate to take care of Johnny so Kate is determined to do right by Johnny even if it means fighting is PITA mother, Jane for custody. I love how Kate knows her facts and uses them to the best advantage. The scene between Jane, Kate and Johnny was priceless.

Of course there is never just one thing going on in the park and one of them is always a murder
Deb
A Grave Denied is another terrific installment in the Kate Shugak series. Kate's "ward" Johnnie Morgan and his classmates discover the frozen body of a long-time Park resident in a glacial cave. Jim Chopin asks Kate to help with the investigation, much to the jealous dismay of Dandy Mike, who's hoping to become Jim's assistant trooper. As in all the other books, a few more murders/attempted murders occur before Kate gets it all sorted out. What made this book standout for me was the inclusion of ...more
Permies.world
I haven't really liked this series since the author killed off Jack. Everything is so much more sexual. It feels like a romance series with a mystery instead of a genuine mystery. It's just sad. The first half of the series was great. Unfortunately, the author fell prey to the trap of trying to stay mainstream, instead of what brought readers to her series in the first place. I'm done. The last two, were on the edge for me. I read this one and the next one and I'm just done. Disappointed. I real ...more
Joy
Dec 25, 2009 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any mystery lovers
Recommended to Joy by: reading the series
A body found in a glacier cave turns out to be the Park's competent but low-profile handyman. He was murdered roughly 6 months ago, so alibis are pretty near impossible. So little is known about him that motive is difficult to find, too. A solution would have been impossible except that the killer feels it necessary to kill more people to protect the secret.

If you haven't read the Kate Shugak series, you have a treat in store. Here Kate is recovering from the death of a lover, with the help of h
Liz
The Kate Shugak series massively appealed to me. She is a moral, if not slightly damaged (aren't we all?!) Native Alaskan woman who solves mysteries around Alaska and has a wolf-dog roommate. I started reading them in Unalaska and continued in Dillingham and still think that anybody who wants to visit Alaska but can't afford the air-fare could get a pretty good tour, not to mention enjoying some well-crafted mystery, by reading these books.
Linda
Another true to form Kate Shugak mystery, including near death for Kate, perhaps new romance, lots of local color, great character development, as well as picturesque word paintings of the setting. I read later books in the series before this one and wondered about what had happened in the past. This book filled in a big gap in the chronology of Kate Shugak's life. This was a fun and engaging read, although not always fun for Kate.
Donna
Jul 04, 2007 Donna rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
Shelves: mystery-suspense
For those of us Outside, Dana Stabenow's novels are a window to the rough Alaskan frontier, with its extreme climate, raw culture, and edgy balance of power between animals and humans. She's deft with details, and her plots aren't bad, either.

Perhaps the two central characters of her series, Alaskan native Kate Shugak and state trooper Jim Chopin, are just a tad overblown. Kate's intractable independence and Jim's all-too-frequent outbursts of emotion are sometimes a little hard to swallow--for
Mary
Len Dreyer, a Park handyman, is discovered by middle schoolers on a field trip, frozen solid, in the path of a receding glacier, with a hole from a shotgun blast in his chest. No one had even noticed that he was missing for months. Alaska State Trooper Jim Chopin asks Kate to help him dig into Dreyer's background. She takes the case, mindful of the need for gainful employment as she fights for custody of Johnny, the teenage boy in her care and the son of her dead lover, Jack. She tries to trace ...more
Janet
Yes, in the genre of mysteries, the writing style and the outcome of the plots can be predictable. Stabenow's outcomes are usually not predictable. In this the thirteenth book in the Kate Shugak series, Stabenow evolves as a writer! Having read the previous twelve titles I was anxious to see how the character of teenager Johnny Morgan, now in Kate's care was woven into the story. Interspersed between several of the chapters, the reader finds a diary entry by Johnny from his teenage perspective w ...more
Janice
Kate Shugak, worrying where she's going to get the money for an upcoming custody battle, takes a murder investigation from trooper Jim Chopin. The body was found in a receding glacier by her ward, Johnny, and some of his classmates. During the investigation kate's cabin is burned down, luckily neither she nor Johnny were there. As Kate gets closer to the murderer, she and mutt are attacked and almost buried alive.
Kate's cabin gets rebuilt by the community, Jim swears off Kate, Kate pulls out th
Toni
I really liked it even if there is an inconsistency between it and a previous book in the serious. Earlier in the series Jack has Johnny look at a dead body but when he finds the body in this book Johnny claims to have never seen one before.

The case that Kate ends up investigating this time is the death of the park handyman. Johnny, her late lover's kid, finds the body during a field trip. Jim the state trooper covering the park is stretched thin so he asks Kate to ask around. Kate soon finds ou
Mindy
We get to delve into Johnny's mind a bit as part of the book is his journal. Johnny is now living with Kate as his guardian. Johnny has a girl friend. On a school field trip to see Grants Glasier, they find a body. Kate investigates and finds the man's cabin has been burned. She knows she is close to the truth when someone burns down her cabin. Kate Shugak is on the war path. When Kate is clobbered on the head with a shovel and she and Mutt almost buried alive, Jim arrives just in time to pull h ...more
Monty
Another terrific Kate Shukgak mystery. Along with the murders to solve, much happens on the personal front for Kate and some people close to her. Next for me is #14 in the series.
Ellen Thielen
The saga continues! Murder/ action/ love story/ friendships/family this one has it all!
Eliana
Kate Shugak! The quintessential female heroine! Great mystery plots on the res in Alaska.
Sheryl Jones
I was very satisfied with the developing relationship between the two "main" characters.
LJ
A GRAVE DENIED – VG
Dana Stabenow – 13th in series
On an eighth-grade field trip to Grant Glacier in Alaska, students discover a corpse in an ice cave beneath the glacier. With too many cases, State Trooper Jim Chopin hires Aleut PI Kate Shugak to investigate. After discovering that the victim had a secret life, Kate becomes the killer's next target.

In this book, we also see Kate from the perspective of Johnny Morgan, the son of Kate’s late lover. This is an excellent series. It’s well written wi
Robin
Really good. I love this series so much. Such a great cast of characters.

Rebecca
For my first attempt in adult crime novels, this wasn't a bad start. Stabenow's descriptions of Alaska and the types of people who choose to live in the Alaskan wilderness was my favorite part. Also: Kate Shugak is kind of badass.

Despite this, I found this novel to be fairly underwhelming. The "mystery" seemed to happen to Kate--the reader was largely left out of the investigation and fact-finding and instead I was presented with information Kate already had. In a nutshell, I was expecting somet
Red
I truly love these Kate Shugak mysteries. Stabenow draws the present day Alaska bush with a finely detailed brush, and she inhabits it with a wide array of characters from the likeable to the distinctly not. That being said, in this book I found the action to be a little on the slow side. You could make the act of "making a timeline of the victim's last movements" into a drinking game.it happened so often by many people. Book 13 in the series was mostly relationship building, and not so much of ...more
Richard Mayuk
Outside

I gave five stars because, Dana's way of telling the story of Kate and Alaskan adventures put me right in the story along with Kate and the other characters. Kate and the characters feel real to me. I would recommend Dana's books who are looking for real feeling characters in a beautiful area.
Anita Giani
My first Dana Stabenow book and I'm hooked. I'll ready more partly because I like her main character Kate and partly because I enjoy reading about Alaska and its people. such a different culture.
Julia
Clearly it's not fair for me to binge on these books in a two week period (I'm averaging about one a day), it gives me an odd reaction to the villains. I'm so happy to return to the Park, each villain and murder seems over the top. But they're not, I've just read too many, too close together. Years and months pass for Kate and co., but I keep gulping these stories down one after another... and I still love them. Except the villains.
T
This might be my favorite out of all the ones I've read, as usual, out-of-order.

This is the one where Kate & Johnny's home is burned down, and she helps to solve the murder of a man whose body was left in a glacier that was coming forward, rather than receding. Also, this is the one where Johnny gets his freedom from his mother and can live with Kate without fear of being forced to return to his mom or grandparents.

Maria C.
The beginning of the book is really good; it really made me want to read the rest of the book. The rest of the book though, made the small town in Alaska look like Peyton Place--or one of those steamy sorrid novels where everyone is sleeping or has slept with someone, or about to sleep with someone. That said, it was a good book; just a little too much of a Peyton Place-like.
Lisa
A Grave Denied is a pivotal entry in the Kate Shugak series. The mystery was interesting, twisty and suspenseful. I also enjoyed the sections that are written from Johnny's point of view. Kate's escape from certain death felt a little unbelievable but I'm willing to go along in the service of the story. Overall a great entry in the series.
Vikkie Thorman
Katisms...

Canada geese were settling in for the summer on the Kanuyaq River delta, along with flights of every duck ever identified by the Audubon Society and a few Kate suspected were not. She hoped so, at any rate. There was far too little mystery left in the world as it was, and deep in her bones she knew that nature was not done with them

Brooke Fawcett
I really love the entire Kate Shugak series by Dana Stabenow. As a misplaced 3rd generation Alaskan, I love to escape back into this world. Even though many readers won't understand some of the references I don't think it would detract from the story for them. Her writing is smooth and moves you through the novel quickly. Love this author. :)
Pat
Dana really redeemed herself after the previous Shugak novel...this one is superb...funny, thoughtful, and incredibly sensitive. It boasts all of our favorite characters. Jim Chopin is fleshed out more and he is experiencing a 'come to Jesus' meeting with his emotions. It's a struggle for him, but so much fun for the reader to watch.
The Danamaniacs: A Grave Denied *SPOILERS* 1 6 May 08, 2013 08:38PM
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • High Country (Anna Pigeon, #12)
  • Good Blood (Gideon Oliver, #11)
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • Purgatory Ridge (Cork O'Connor, #3)
  • Getting Old Is Tres Dangereux (Gladdy Gold, #6)
  • The Spirit Woman (Wind River Reservation, #6)
  • My Sweet Untraceable You (Lauren Laurano, #3)
Dana Stabenow was born in Anchorage and raised on 75-foot fish tender in the Gulf of Alaska. She knew there was a warmer, drier job out there somewhere.
More about Dana Stabenow...
A Cold Day For Murder (Kate Shugak, #1) Dead In The Water (Kate Shugak, #3) Blood Will Tell (Kate Shugak, #6) A Fatal Thaw (Kate Shugak, #2) Breakup (Kate Shugak, #7)