Start by marking “The Complete Asian Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Complete Asian Cookbook

The Complete Asian Cookbook

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  20 reviews
More than 800 recipes from 16 countries are clearly presented in step-by-step instructions.
Published (first published September 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Asian Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Asian Cookbook

notgettingenough
These observations pertain only to the Hardie Grant recent revised hard cover edition of this book. (The paperback edition does not suffer from this, it had a different publisher.)

It sucks. It fucking sucks.

I already have a sore head from looking at it today. Why? Because they have used a weird font to introduce the recipes; it looks cute and Asiany, which is no doubt that the 'book stylist' (Lord save us from stylists) thought would look good, but the only important thing to a font is that it
Cara
800 recipes from 18 countries... this is a comprehensive cookery book covering food from everywhere east of Pakistan.

It loses a star for having the measurements for dry ingredients in Australian cups and not providing alternatives in grammes/ounces. Like I can be arsed to find a cup that is 250ml. Shame the publishers didn't think to provide the weights and measures for an international readership e.g. 2 cups/250g flour, when selling the book overseas.

Each chapter begins with a foodie introduc
notgettingenough
Down Australia way this has been the definitive general text since long before I started cooking.

Like anything that does so much not all of it is going to work. I was disappointed to find the laksa recipe nowhere near as good as my favourite restautant versions. It's true, it was one of my early sorties into cooking, but still....

Her Sri Lankan section is wonderful - not surprising since she is herself Sri Lankan, though since she moved to Australia in 1959, we may be forgiven for thinking of h
An
A classic that preserves Great Recipes from a particular time period and before without dumbing them down. Indispensable as a cook's reference, the book also features great food writing; it would be a mistake not to read the vivid descriptions of meals and people in each section's introduction.
Fredrick Danysh
A sampling of recipes from various Asian countries. The concepts and purpose of food in Asian societies is discussed and well a the butchering of chickens and fish. Thirteen different countries are represented. There are numerous color photographs.
Jeffrey
Excellent. I happened to pick this up off a remainder table in Toronto years ago, and it's a great cookbook. It has over 800 recipes from countries from India and Pakistan to Japan. I've mainly used the Indian recipes (incidentally, I usually use about half or even one-third of the salt she recommends; for whatever reason, I think her recipes, especially Indian ones, use way too much salt), and they're phenomenal. But the book is almost like an encyclopedia of Asian cooking. Highly recommended, ...more
Riley Edwards
An Australian classic which is quite dated now, as a lot of the ingredients are substitute compromises from the bad old days when you couldn't get the real thing in the major cities of Australia. (which I guess would still be handy if you live somewhere further afield where the ingredients are tough to get.) However, it was originally well ahead of its time, and I grew up eating great food cooked by people following the recipes in this book. A sentimental favourite which I still use from time to ...more
Julian
Nov 18, 2007 Julian rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
I got a copy after reading my parents' copy a lot of times and gaining a respect for it. Something makes this feel less accessible than some - perhaps just the weight and number of pages, or the number of countries covered, but every time I've started cooking a different cuisine it contains, I've come back to this book and found the chapter to be a surprisingly good set of recipes. If you had only the space or patience to buy one book and wanted to play with exotic cuisines of the world, this wo ...more
Jeff Gehrig
Mar 22, 2011 Jeff Gehrig rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves cooking
I've used this book for over thirty years. I've never had a failure. Over the last 25 years the ingredients have become easier and easier to get, almost to the point where even the ordinary supermarkets carry them all. I'm also surrounded by Asian and Indian supermarkets and grocery stores which makes it even easier. My favourite and most spectacular success, is the Raan, I've probably cooked it 30 - 40 times and the aroma is sensational.No wonder we regard Charmaine as a "National Treasure".
Trudy
This is the definitive Asian cookbook with over 800 authentic recipes from 16 countries. Each country is divided into a separate section and includes a description of the cuisine, cooking methods and food customs plus a list of common ingredients. The recipes are easy to follow and I haven't come across a recipe yet that's less than delicious. Also, each recipe has its native name along with the English version underneath, and there's a handy ingredient glossary at the back.
Jdbaron
A terrific introduction to all things Asian. This was my first Asian cookbook, given to me as a gift 8 years ago, and it ignited a passion unlike any other for Asian cooking. The tips on stocking your pantry for each cuisine are invaluable, and the recipes are a terrific introduction to the many and varied flavors of the region. A must read for the newly inspired or the established but branching out cook.
Dyah
"The Complete Asian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon, buku besar hardcover setebal 512 halaman yang beratnya paling enggak 2 kilo sendiri. Isinya lengkap dengan resep masakan-masakan khas Asia : India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Burma, Thailand, Kamboja, Laos, Vietnam, Phillipines, China, Korea, Jepang.
Tina Mumm
one of the best cookbooks i have ever owned. only minor hitch is sometimes finding the ingredients that the recipes call for - many times i have to do additional research on the ingredients/cooking/presentation methods (which is really no big deal). i plan on owning/using this cookbook for many, many years.
Bruce Williams
Came back from my first overseas trip in 1988, determined to learn more about food. After six months in Europe, I bought, at the suggestion of a friend, the Complete Asian Cookbook. It changed my life.
Lindsay
Chapters broken down by region/country. Insane amount of information (this books is over 400 pages). Given to me by Kiran's mum (who is on her 3rd copy), so you know its got to be good.
Beebee
Sep 04, 2012 Beebee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who loves Asian cooking
Recommended to Beebee by: found in Asian Grocery store
Shelves: use-all-the-time
My all time favorite cookbook. Very comprehensive and with great authentic recipes. Easy to follow and make.
Gene Golden
Everything I needed to know regarding Asian and Pacific Rim cuisines. Very informative, a classic!
limber tender
We have lived out of this cookbook for years!
Rhiannon

Love some of the dishes in this book.
Catrien Deys
Inspiring and a joy forever
Taryn Fryer
Taryn Fryer is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Anuradha Niroshani
Anuradha Niroshani marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2015
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Milan
Milan marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Tarynnicole
Tarynnicole is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2015
  • Chez Panisse Menu Cookbook
  • The Spice and Herb Bible
  • Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
  • Fish: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Malaysia, and Singapore
  • Twelve Months of Monastery Soups: International Favorites
  • French Provincial Cooking
  • Vegetables: The Most Authoritative Guide to Buying, Preparing, and Cooking with More than 300 Recipes
  • The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking
  • Whole Grains Every Day, Every Way
  • 5 Spices, 50 Dishes: Simple Indian Recipes Using Five Common Spices
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
Complete Vegetarian Cookbook Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food Healthy Asian Food The Hot And Spicy Book The Complete Asian Cookbook: Indonesia, Malaysia & Singapore