Start by marking “The Complete Asian Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Complete Asian Cookbook

The Complete Asian Cookbook

More than 800 recipes from 16 countries are clearly presented in step-by-step instructions.
Published (first published September 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Asian Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Asian Cookbook

notgettingenough
These observations pertain only to the Hardie Grant recent revised hard cover edition of this book. (The paperback edition does not suffer from this, it had a different publisher.)

It sucks. It fucking sucks.

I already have a sore head from looking at it today. Why? Because they have used a weird font to introduce the recipes; it looks cute and Asiany, which is no doubt that the 'book stylist' (Lord save us from stylists) thought would look good, but the only important thing to a font is that it
Suz
Jan 07, 2017 Suz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. It's a great reference.
notgettingenough
Jun 06, 2010 notgettingenough rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Down Australia way this has been the definitive general text since long before I started cooking.

Like anything that does so much not all of it is going to work. I was disappointed to find the laksa recipe nowhere near as good as my favourite restautant versions. It's true, it was one of my early sorties into cooking, but still....

Her Sri Lankan section is wonderful - not surprising since she is herself Sri Lankan, though since she moved to Australia in 1959, we may be forgiven for thinking of h
Cara
Dec 15, 2012 Cara rated it really liked it
800 recipes from 18 countries... this is a comprehensive cookery book covering food from everywhere east of Pakistan.

It loses a star for having the measurements for dry ingredients in Australian cups and not providing alternatives in grammes/ounces. Like I can be arsed to find a cup that is 250ml. Shame the publishers didn't think to provide the weights and measures for an international readership e.g. 2 cups/250g flour, when selling the book overseas.

Each chapter begins with a foodie introduc
Jeffrey
Excellent. I happened to pick this up off a remainder table in Toronto years ago, and it's a great cookbook. It has over 800 recipes from countries from India and Pakistan to Japan. I've mainly used the Indian recipes (incidentally, I usually use about half or even one-third of the salt she recommends; for whatever reason, I think her recipes, especially Indian ones, use way too much salt), and they're phenomenal. But the book is almost like an encyclopedia of Asian cooking. Highly recommended, ...more
Julian
Nov 18, 2007 Julian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
I got a copy after reading my parents' copy a lot of times and gaining a respect for it. Something makes this feel less accessible than some - perhaps just the weight and number of pages, or the number of countries covered, but every time I've started cooking a different cuisine it contains, I've come back to this book and found the chapter to be a surprisingly good set of recipes. If you had only the space or patience to buy one book and wanted to play with exotic cuisines of the world, this wo ...more
Riley Edwards
Jan 30, 2013 Riley Edwards rated it it was amazing
An Australian classic which is quite dated now, as a lot of the ingredients are substitute compromises from the bad old days when you couldn't get the real thing in the major cities of Australia. (which I guess would still be handy if you live somewhere further afield where the ingredients are tough to get.) However, it was originally well ahead of its time, and I grew up eating great food cooked by people following the recipes in this book. A sentimental favourite which I still use from time to ...more
Jeff Gehrig
Mar 22, 2011 Jeff Gehrig rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves cooking
I've used this book for over thirty years. I've never had a failure. Over the last 25 years the ingredients have become easier and easier to get, almost to the point where even the ordinary supermarkets carry them all. I'm also surrounded by Asian and Indian supermarkets and grocery stores which makes it even easier. My favourite and most spectacular success, is the Raan, I've probably cooked it 30 - 40 times and the aroma is sensational.No wonder we regard Charmaine as a "National Treasure".
Trudy
Mar 08, 2010 Trudy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asian-cookbooks
This is the definitive Asian cookbook with over 800 authentic recipes from 16 countries. Each country is divided into a separate section and includes a description of the cuisine, cooking methods and food customs plus a list of common ingredients. The recipes are easy to follow and I haven't come across a recipe yet that's less than delicious. Also, each recipe has its native name along with the English version underneath, and there's a handy ingredient glossary at the back.
Jdbaron
Sep 29, 2008 Jdbaron rated it it was amazing
A terrific introduction to all things Asian. This was my first Asian cookbook, given to me as a gift 8 years ago, and it ignited a passion unlike any other for Asian cooking. The tips on stocking your pantry for each cuisine are invaluable, and the recipes are a terrific introduction to the many and varied flavors of the region. A must read for the newly inspired or the established but branching out cook.
Julian Cribb
Aug 16, 2015 Julian Cribb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, Charmaine, where would my curry dinners have been without you? You have guided me for more than 30 years in my culinary fumblings, with deftness, grace, flavour, spice, imagination and mouth-watering deliciousness. This is a new, enlarged edition of her classic work and in my humble estimate is quite simply the best all-round Asian cookbook available. Covers each Asian country with many traditional and some more modern or non traditional recipes.
Ed
Jul 28, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing
This is the best cookbook I own or have ever owned. It is essential if you like Asian food. Most pan-asian cookbooks suck, but this has proper, authentic recipes from all across Asia, from Pakistan to Laos to Indonesia to Korea. It requires a fairly extensive spice collection, and a few specialty ingredients, but nothing that is too difficult to find if you have an Asian grocer near you.
Tina Mumm
Aug 12, 2009 Tina Mumm rated it it was amazing
one of the best cookbooks i have ever owned. only minor hitch is sometimes finding the ingredients that the recipes call for - many times i have to do additional research on the ingredients/cooking/presentation methods (which is really no big deal). i plan on owning/using this cookbook for many, many years.
Dyah
Jul 27, 2007 Dyah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiksi, recipes
"The Complete Asian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon, buku besar hardcover setebal 512 halaman yang beratnya paling enggak 2 kilo sendiri. Isinya lengkap dengan resep masakan-masakan khas Asia : India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Burma, Thailand, Kamboja, Laos, Vietnam, Phillipines, China, Korea, Jepang.
Fredrick Danysh
Oct 13, 2014 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
A sampling of recipes from various Asian countries. The concepts and purpose of food in Asian societies is discussed and well a the butchering of chickens and fish. Thirteen different countries are represented. There are numerous color photographs.
Ariel Miranda
Aug 30, 2016 Ariel Miranda rated it it was amazing
A warm and informative companion, with me since 1976. Some reviews panned it. Harshly, I think. I guess even recipe books can be obtained, used, for different objectives, aims. This book was my first cookbook. Tastes have changed, and so have cookbooks. But some last forever.
An
Feb 10, 2014 An rated it it was amazing
A classic that preserves Great Recipes from a particular time period and before without dumbing them down. Indispensable as a cook's reference, the book also features great food writing; it would be a mistake not to read the vivid descriptions of meals and people in each section's introduction.
Bruce Williams
Jan 17, 2013 Bruce Williams rated it it was amazing
Came back from my first overseas trip in 1988, determined to learn more about food. After six months in Europe, I bought, at the suggestion of a friend, the Complete Asian Cookbook. It changed my life.
Lindsay
May 30, 2007 Lindsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Chapters broken down by region/country. Insane amount of information (this books is over 400 pages). Given to me by Kiran's mum (who is on her 3rd copy), so you know its got to be good.
Beebee
Sep 04, 2012 Beebee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone who loves Asian cooking
Recommended to Beebee by: found in Asian Grocery store
Shelves: use-all-the-time
My all time favorite cookbook. Very comprehensive and with great authentic recipes. Easy to follow and make.
Zeb
Zeb rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2009
anjeee
anjeee rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Christine
Christine rated it it was amazing
Oct 20, 2007
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Jeeshis Lizardballz
Jeeshis Lizardballz rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Derek
Derek rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Courtney Hughes
Courtney Hughes rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Otterkat
Otterkat rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2011
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2012