Start by marking “The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)” as Want to Read:
The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)

The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Avast and belay, me hearties - it's lunacy on the high seas! It's the Time Warp Trio to the rescue! Only now they are rescuing their own adventure-loving hides. Blame Fred, or blame the mysterious magic of "The Book" - but whichever way you slice it, Blackbeard's got our accidental time travelers cornered, and he's about to slice them!
Published May 1st 1993 by Puffin (first published May 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Not-So-Jolly Roger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Not-So-Jolly Roger

Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansNeurology by April Chloe TerrazasThe Knight at Dawn by Mary Pope OsborneFiona Thorn and the Carapacem Spell by Jen BartonDinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne
Books my kids are reading!
10th out of 25 books — 14 voters
Big Nate by Lincoln PeirceBig Nate Strikes Again by Lincoln PeirceDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav PilkeyI Funny by James Patterson
Favorite Books for Boys
30th out of 74 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Jakey
The guy on the front is named Blackbeard. He's scary. He has a smoking beard. This book was fun.
Mason Giles
After a wish for buried treasure, Joe’ Uncles Magic book called simply “The Book” Sends Joe and His best friends, Fred and Sam back in time to the age of pirates! The only way for the boys to get back to their time is to find The Book. But who Do they meet as they arrival in the Caribbean? None other than the Pirate King himself… Blackbeard! After a misunderstanding Blackbeard thinks the boys can conger money out of thin air and they get “recruited” to his pirate crew. That’s where they find out ...more
Dolly
Vile pirates, danger everywhere, murder, mayhem, and buried treasure. This series has been compared to the Magic Tree House series due to the time travel and adventure. But this is more PG, less G-rated and in my opinion, a little more fun. Don't get me wrong, we love the Magic Tree House series, but the team of Scieszka and Lane have created books that are magical, witty, and definitely mischievious and full of excitement. Plus, they are typically shorter, so we can read one together in an hour ...more
Christina
Once again, the boys are transported back in time where they meat Blackbeard and are taken hostage on the ship Queen Anne's Revenge. Worried they will have to walk the plank, the boys try to figure out where the magical book is so they can get back home safely.

As with the first, the book is a quick and entertaining read. It is fun to visit historical figures and Scieszka does not beat around the bush with details; he tells it like it is. So expect people to die. Expect people to walk the plank a
Michele
This series is a great read for 6-10 year old boys. Suspenseful yet silly adventures of all sorts to grab their attention and challenging vocabulary make them smarter - there's even a little history thrown in. :) I've been reading them aloud with my 1st grader and he laughs out loud at the cheekiness of them.
Louis
I listened to this title on book on CD. The book on CD had the first two titles in the Time Warp Trio series. This is the 2nd book in that series.

Most of my comments from my review of "Knights of the Kitchen Table" stand here. I did appreciate the afterword about the real life Edward Teach.

I also enjoyed how the boys had to deal with their movie perceptions of pirates versus the reality of what it was probably like. The use of sea chanteys was a good touch.

The plot was well-woven and included
CH13_Lisa Matthews

The not so Jolly Roger is a story about three friends Fred, Sam and Joe. Joe receives a book for his birthday from his uncle who is a magician. This book is a magical book that transports the three friends on a wild and crazy adventure with Black Beard the pirate when Fred wishes for buried treasure.

Fred, Sam and Joe were brave, adventurous and smart which helped them outsmart Blackbeard the pirate and find the book they so desperate need to get back home. The boys learned that teamwork helps t
Joan
Enough to get a young boy hooked on reading! Isn't that the whole idea?
Marquez
The title is Time Warp Trio: Not So Jolly Rodger by Jon Scieszka. There are 57 pages in this book.
The story is about a young boy named Joe who gets a book from his uncle on his birthday. Joe soon realizes the book holds magic powers allowing him to go back in time. Him and his friends end up in trouble when they go to pirate times. They run into a pirate who needs help so he brings them aboard his ship. The pirate trust he can get richer by the magic they hold. I feel okay with the ending but no
Cheri
I'm just not impressed by Time Warp Trio. The potty and fart jokes aren't funny, and are way overused (this from someone who likes Captain Underpants). The relationships between the boys are not ones that I find friendly, and that I would want kids to think was respectful. The story ideas are interesting, but the execution is rather boring--it's more like a weak plot line fleshed out with dry facts about the history we're "studying" in the book. Just not my cup of tea.
Mrs Bond
This is my first Time Warp Trio book. First impression: this is Magic Tree House without the girls. But I'm a girl, and I like this much more than Magic Tree House. Surprised there was so much murder and mayhem in a chapter book, but then again, it was all very pirate related. The boys meet Captain Blackbeard who they find to be as ruthless as history and movies have portrayed him.
Katie Kirkland
My group of third graders are loving this series. We read this as a book club selection and they were literally rolling while we discussed the book. While the boys in the group have completely fallen for this series and are now checking them out of the library, the girls said they just enjoyed it. They weren't sure if they would choose to read any more in the series.
Jennifer Kennedy
I chose to read the next book in the Time Warp Trio series, The Not-So Jolly Roger by Jon Scieczka. Once again the three friends, Sam, Joe, and Fred, accidentally trigger their magic book to send them back to the time of the notorious pirate Blackbeard. The three boys must use their wits and quick thinking to outsmart the dangerous band of pirates and get back home.
Kristine Pratt
Fun book with some good facts about Blackbeard. I like the history note at the end. I still don't like the style of having the book start in the midst of the action and then using chapter 2 as a flashback. I'd rather we just told the story in order as it's very confusing when you start reading.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Natalie
Mar 13, 2011 Natalie added it
Shelves: library, kid-books
I was looking for books to read out loud. Right around when Blackbeard killed two of his crew I decided this wasn't the one for us :-) so I didn't finish it. I'm sure when Tom's maybe 6 to 8 he'll love these. Not sure if they're up Sam's alley or not.
Moe
This was my first book of the Time Warp Trio. I think it was really good because I like pirates and it had a lot to do with the Jolly Roger and Edward Teach (Blackbeard). It was fiction because the time warp trio goes back in time.
Julie Suzanne
Cheesy, easy read. I think this would be a great first chapter book--My 9-year-old was a bit old for it. We used it as a read aloud and it only took two bedtimes. Wish he would've agreed to read it in 1st or 2nd grade.
Melchor.707
I thought that the way that they experienced the past was very different instead of them just reading a history book because they got to find out real more accurate information than other source.
Malcolm says, "It was cool because I know Blackbeard was really a pirate and in a time he set his beard on fire and his hair really was smoky, and I liked the time traveling part too."
Carmen.707
i liked it and Jon Scieszka is really funny and one of my favorit authers and so good i hily recomend it to a not so stron reader or just to read it for fun. : )
Mitchell Dondlinger
This was kinda funny and easy to read. I recommend for anybody who wants a fun easy read on a hot summer day. The story was okay. The characters were kind-of likable.
Sandy
Listened to on audio along with book 1 (The Knights of the Kitchen Table). See my review for that book for more details. Does not disappoint.
Roger Fisher
A fantastic "first chapter book" read. Students will love the action and adventure of the time traveling trio's brush with Blackbeard the pirate.
Rebecca
This series is a good book for young readers who are ready to transition into chapter books. Boys will especially like the action and adventure.
Sammy
I thought this book would be perfect for any young boys looking to read about an adventure! Definitely an easy and enjoyable read!
Randy
I read this book at the Thrift shop and left it there. I was a good book. A little young for me but I enjoyed it.
Darlene
Fun, fun, fun! The Time Warp Trio joins Blackbeard's crew. The quirky illustrations complement the amusing story.
Tyanne
Nov 27, 2007 Tyanne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 3-5
historical fiction book about blackbeird giving historical facts butkeeping it interesting with little illistrations
Andrea Wilkinson
I enjoy reading these formulaic, but fun books written by Jon Scieszka and illustrated by Lane Smith.
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Philippa Fisher and the Fairy's Promise (Philippa Fisher, #3)
  • Stink: Solar System Superhero (Stink, #5)
  • Attack of the Tagger (Shredderman, #2)
  • Strega Nona Meets Her Match
  • Mudville
  • The Mask of Maliban (The Secrets of Droon, #13)
  • Out of Darkness: The Story of Louis Braille
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #2)
  • The Barking Treasure Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #19)
  • Farewell, My Lunchbag
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Firefighter Ted
  • Encyclopedia Brown Carries On (Encyclopedia Brown, #14)
  • Mini Mysteries: 20 Tricky Tales to Untangle (American Girl Library)
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...
The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs The Stinky Cheese Man: And Other Fairly Stupid Tales Math Curse The Frog Prince, Continued Knucklehead: Tall Tales and Almost True Stories of Growing up Scieszka