Start by marking “Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story” as Want to Read:
Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story

Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story (Lawson the Fixer)

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  289 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story (Includes a sneak peek of The Kensei!)

Meet Lawson. A cynical, wise-cracking vampire charged with protecting the Balance between vampires and humans, he is part cop, part spy, and part commando--a James Bond with fangs. Lawson mixes shrewd cunning with unmatched lethality to get his job done. He tries his best to dismantle conspiracie
Published February 15th 2011 by St. Martin's Griffin

To ask other readers questions about Dead Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Drop

Steve
This was my first experience with the Lawson Vampire series, and it was pretty good. This story was tightly written and the characters were well developed, even in such a short format. I'll definitely be looking into the rest of the series now!
Tiffany
Only book of the series I read. Honestly, yes, it was because it was a free option on my eBook. I enjoyed the short story... I was a bit confused at first, but I quickly came to terms. This is not your typical vampire book. That is the best part. There is no inherent sex appeal, no dramatics (well, there are, but not the kind generally associated with the cinematic vampire). It was an interesting find. If you like books like I Am Legend, things that give a new take on an old myth, you should loo ...more
Michelle
Nothing really happens in this short story except for the fact that I get a brief introduction to some characters on some sort of mission that doesn't really go as planed. But as it's a prequel to the begining of a series that's understandable.

It's my understanding that the Kensie story is the 5th book in Lawson the Fixer series so it will be interesting to see how the characters will change along the way.
Fred
Not bad. Not something that I would typically read so it fits right into my ongoing effort to broaden my horizons. It was intriguing enough that I went ahead and bought the first book in the series so lets hope that I'm not let down. I'll give the writers credit for spinning a somewhat dark and gritty new twist on Vampires.
Cathy  Keaton
Why have I taken so long to get into the Lawson Vampire books? This short story is completely dope!

First of all, the writing is superb—exactly what a story like this needs to be written like. This is pure urban fantasy, the kind starring an adult male protagonist, and that requires a certain writing that makes you feel like you're truly inside the head of a guy who marches to the beat of his own drummer. An outlier. But, a really cool guy that is so different from everyone else that you just wa
Melissa Hayden
As a favor for an old pal, and his controller, Lawson takes the Dead Drop when the previous agent is stuck with personal events. Going to retrieve the information on the dead drop, Lawson remembers his first with his mentor, Zero. The Silent One teaches Lawson a life long lesson in that first dead drop that carries through his life. One lesson learned, dead drops are never as simple and easy as they should be. And another, is to always be on the look out.

I wanted to read this to get a taste for
Melissa
Dead Drop is a pretty good book. It starts of with a Fixer doing a favor for someone. This favor is a dead drop which is supposed to be easy as dead drop are said to be. I thought the book had great descriptions and explained certain jobs that these vampires have very well. Lawson's first job with his mentor, Zero, was to get information on a vampire high up in the NVA that was leading a genocide campaign against people in southern Vietnam. After making it to his drop point, Lawson picks the loc ...more
Kristin King
A short story to introduce you to the author's vampire world, but it a true story giving you the background of how the character Lawson first met a future enemy. The story text is only 40% of the digital download, while the rest is the sample of the first full book. I did not read the sample since I have too many series going on already.
MsBDiamondDiva1
Lawson is a "Fixer", someone that helps keep the vampire race concealed from the humans. This short story is well worth vampire fans time, the story gives the hero the background going fourth and has a mixer of Japanese culture that makes you want more. If you don’t like action, then this story is not for you; because Lawson is a kick ass kind of man in all the right ways. I also appreciate the concept of how the vampires evolved, they came into being from a past belief of humans who drank the b ...more
Laurie
I grabbed a bunch of short stories and novellas on Amazon one afternoon in search of authors I had yet to read. Dead Drop was part of that binge and the one most worth reading. I liked the almost film noir feel of the story. It's gritty but not Sam Spade kind of gritty. (Yeah, I've got a thing for Dash Hammett.) I liked Lawson immediately, so I grabbed the four Fixer novels I could find and started reading...

Lawson's a real man, not one of those frou frou, whiny types. He kicks ass and takes nam
Kelly
Okay. While this is a very short story, I really liked the writing style and the way the story was laid out. Oh, and I think the cover's pretty cool also.

For the record, I've never read any of the Lawson Vampire books and this was a very intriguing start for me. I liked the pacing, the characters, the flashbacks to Lawson's first job. I was interested on pretty much every level. I think it was a great introduction into this world and the fact that it's currently free through Amazon just makes it
Patricia
This short story, about 20 pages or so, is both a prequel to the first novel in the Lawson Vampire series, and a teaser for the fifth novel in the series, “The Kensei.”

While the anecdotal item provided by the short story is a complete event in itself, with no overt cliffhanger, it is simply that – an anecdote, an aside, and an interesting piece of information. And it introduces a new villain into the series.

That said, the story is informative and the writing is good. However, prequel action or
Mary
I'm new to the Larson vampire and this was a good introduction. there was enough derail to spark my interest and learn more. I may try the series.
Robin Toll
My first book in the Lawson books. I loved the writing style, and I'm looking forwards to reading the series.
Marsha
Apr 28, 2011 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults
It is always fun when you stumble on a new series and an author you've had no exposure to. "Dead Drop" is an exciting short story about a vampire, spy, hit man named Lawson. As I began to read, I could see the story in my mind as a vivid surreal movie. I felt intrigue, danger and mystery. The villain is a women, known as the Silencer and she is a worthy adversary. I loved this short story and have made a vow to download the first book in the series,"The Fixer."
Keri Salyers
Lawson is certainly giving Cal and Nico a run for their money for Favorite Male Lead in an Urb-Fan, imo. I wish I had found this series earlier! Also, I LOVE the idea of "bonus stories" and wish more authors would do this- great way of getting new readers.

Looking forward to learning more about Lawson and 'seeing' him in action! If you like Urban fantasy and are looking for a solid male main character, try this series. I certainly am!
Robin Edman
If I write too much, the review will end up to be longer than the story. The story should have been longer; it sort of truncates at the end, like one of those cheap horror shorts, where you know that the evil thing did not completely die and the protagonists are doomed after all. But we know that Lawson is not doomed, as he is about to star in a novel called The Kensai. So I didn't like the ending at all.
Kristy
This was an okay story; I thought it was amusing that the vampire was repulsed by his need for blood and called it "juice" instead. There was a preview of the novel in the back of this book, and that was interesting as well. Not gonna put it high up on my list of things to read or anything, but it was better than I expected.
Jackie
Long while ago had downloaded this one free and came across it when looking for something quick, now of course my curiosity is snagged so hopefully one day will get a chance to read a full novel in the series as am intrigued and enamored of Lawson's sense of humor and the author's easy to follow style of writing.
KyBunnies
Nov 25, 2011 KyBunnies rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like vampire stories
Recommended to KyBunnies by: amazon.com
This is a prequel to a series of books. This was an interesting read. I am not really into vampire stories but this was a good interesting read. There was action that was interesting along with a plot that will continue in to a series of book. This was a free book in the Kindle store.
Yodamom
Includes a sneak peek of THE KENSEI!- liked it, it reminded me of a samurai Harry Dresdan type mystery. We have a vampire that works to keep the balance between vampires and humans. great characters and definitely urban fantasy. I will read more from this author. I am ordering the Kensei.
Alice Brown
This book was a great way to introduce people to the series. It was long enough to form an opinion unlike most samples. I'm interested in following the series after this. I like the main character, and the plot. It is a great urban fantasy.
Yvensong
3.5 stars This seems to be a good introduction into what may possibly be a really good series. There was some character building of the main character and enough background story to be intriguing, yet far too short to give a real taste.
Lorian Jones
when i read this book im like wtf is this bt as i start continue reading i thought this is pretty cool i didnt want 2 stop nt until i kno wat happen nxt bt that wat happen when the authors get curious
Lisamarie
It was really short, just when you were really getting into it, it was done. It gave you a peek into Lawson's world, however, I didn't read any of his other books so I'm kind of lost on terminology.
Liz
Accidentally read this out of order (I haven't ready any other Merz's other works), but it was really entertaining. I'm going to have to find more by him!
Jarrett Rush
This was a great introduction to the Lawson character for someone who's a little late to the game. The pace is quick and the dialogue fantastic.
John
A free short story about vampires who hunt rogue vampires. 3 Stars because it did its job, I'll read Merz's other books if I get the chance.
Heather
Did not realize this was a vampire short story. Got it becuase it was a free book for my ereader. Don't have a desire to read this searies.
Alexandra
Too short, but I liked it. Snappy dialogue, with a kicking ending that made me run out and buy the first book in this series. Good hook.
  • Fallen from Grace (Dark Mirror, #0.5)
  • Blindsight (Mirus, #1.3)
  • A Chunk of Hell
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Hidden by Blood (Sweetblood, #1.5)
  • Valle (Heku #2)
  • Saying Goodbye to the Sun
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • Haunted Destiny (Midnight Dragonfly, #1.5)
  • Fresh Blood
  • Cameron's Law (Adelheid, #1)
  • Grave Illusions (Jess Vandermire, #1)
  • Haunting the Night (Past Midnight, #2.5)
  • Spalding's Scary Shorts
  • Revelations (Jane Perry #3)
  • Into the Abyss
  • The Demon Queen And The Locksmith
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
As a writer, Jon has published over two dozen novels with major publishers like Kensington's Pinnacle Books, St. Martin's Press, and many more. He is also the author of eleven installments in the internationally bestselling adventure series Rogue Angel (2006-present) with Harlequin's Gold Eagle line. His short fiction story "Prisoner 392" (appeared alongside Stephen King in FROM THE BORDERLANDS, 2 ...more
More about Jon F. Merz...

Lawson the Fixer (7 books)
  • The Fixer (Lawson the Fixer #1)
  • The Invoker (Lawson the Fixer #2)
  • The Destructor (Lawson the Fixer #3)
  • The Syndicate (Lawson the Fixer, #4)
  • The Kensei (Lawson the Fixer, #5)
  • The Ripper (Lawson the Fixer, #6)
  • The Crucible (Lawson the Fixer, #7)
The Fixer (Lawson the Fixer #1) The Kensei (Lawson the Fixer, #5) The Invoker (Lawson the Fixer #2) The Destructor (Lawson the Fixer #3) The Syndicate (Lawson the Fixer, #4)