Start by marking “Doom” as Want to Read:
Doom

Doom

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Far in the future...an urgent distress signal is received from a classified Union Aerospace Corporation research facility based on Olduvai, Mars -- and is suddenly silenced. Assigned to either contain or quarantine the mysterious threat, a crack strike team comprised of the most hard-bitten marines around believes that this will be another routine seek-and-destroy mission. ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by Pocket Star (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doom

Ana Mardoll
Doom / 9781416524106

If there's anything I enjoy as a guilty pleasure more than B-list video-game-inspired movies, it's *novelizations* of B-list video-game-inspired movies. "Doom" by John Shirley does the best it can with the screenplay for the fairly lukewarm movie, but the flaws haven't been shined away entirely.

So what is done well here? The character of John "Reaper" Grimm carries the plot here as bravely as he did in the movie: his personal demons stemming from his childhood and the death o
Danielle
I love this movie and I love this book. It gave me everything I expected and more. I adored the character information in this book which is really why I read these. However I gave it a 3.5 because it is incredibly cheesy, there are some repetitive descriptions and lines and a few weird edits that where very noticeable and made me stop reading to double check what was going on. Other than that I loved this book it was so much fun.
Visas
Feb 03, 2015 Visas rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
This has to be the worst book I ever read. Shirley manages to copy + paste the entire screenplay of the movie without adding ANYthing to it. No background. No character shaping. No thoughts or feelings. Like, not even accidentally.

Yes, I watched the movie. I know it's basic at best. But this 'novelization' is the worst.
Anthony Fontanetta
Despite the fact the movie met with a mixed reception, I think the book is a reasonably good read as a stand alone work of fiction. It may not win many awards, but at the end of the day it's fun.
Ashley
It seemed true to the movie, which a novelization should be, but the writing wasn't fantastic. It was a decent read for when I wanted something easy to relax with.
Lyndsay-ann Stewart
I am both a fan of the games and the movie, so I wanted to read the book. Was good and followed the movie quite well, but like most movie novelizations gave much more depth to the story. Had the pov of several different characters, giving them more of a history. I really enjoyed learning about the backgrounds of some of them, as well as their thoughts and feelings, as the movie can only show so much.
Zoey Nealon
I can honestly say that I felt like I had the movie reel running through my head as I was reading this. So much more detail about the plot line and the characters that was missing from the film. I feel completely satisfied with my reading experience with this book. 4 out of 5 stars!
Simeonberesford
Hmm I bought this because I thought I recognised the author as the writer of some enjoyable light weight space opera in the seventies. But nope I must have been mistaken this is as badly written as you could imagine a computer game novelisation to be.
Josh Vasquez
Okay for a movie adaptation. Maybe better than the movie, but I'm a huge Doom fan, so I may be biased.
Novelizedea
Novelizedea marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Oddleif
Oddleif marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Michael Williams
Michael Williams marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Taryn George
Taryn George marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
John
John is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2015
Marion Kuehne
Marion Kuehne marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Amy
Amy added it
Mar 05, 2015
Justin Trotter
Justin Trotter marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
61958
John Shirley is the author of more than a dozen books, including Demons; Crawlers; City Come A-Walkin’; Really, Really, Really, Really, Weird Stories; and the classic cyberpunk trilogy A Song Called Youth: Eclipse, Eclipse Penumbra, and Eclipse Corona. He is the recipient of the Horror Writers Association’s Bram Stoker Award and won the International Horror Guild Award for his collection Black But ...more
More about John Shirley...
BioShock: Rapture Constantine: The Hellblazer Collection Constantine Eclipse (A Song Called Youth, #1) City Come a-Walkin'