Start by marking “Doggirl” as Want to Read:
Doggirl

Doggirl

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  34 reviews
I BELIEVE IN SIGNS.
And this one said: "Dog trainer needed immediately. Must provide own dog."
I snatched the paper off the announcement board before anyone else could see it.
BECAUSE IT'S ABOUT TIME.

Meet Riley Case: An expert with dogs, lousy with people. She's been keeping a low profile at her high school--well, except for that incident with the birds--but when the chan
Published May 2nd 2011 by Ryer Publishing (first published April 28th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Doggirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doggirl

Ashley - Book Labyrinth
3.5 stars, bordering on 4

If you like dogs at all (even a tiny bit) stop what you're doing and buy this eBook. Seriously, if you have a soft spot for animals you are going to want to read this book. Robin Brande has written a story that will pull on your heartstrings. This is a sweet story about a girl named Riley who slowly overcomes her social anxieties, letting go of past hurts as she learns to fit in and trust people, instead of just relying on her dogs.

Riley's understanding of, and love for,
Tara Chevrestt
I don't think I've ever read a YA novel in which I could relate to the heroine so well. Having grown up being bullied, similar to what this young girl faces, the parallels surprised me. Like myself, the girl turns to dogs.

"I don't get a lot of things people do. Which is why I prefer living as part of a dog pack rather than a human one. Every time I think I might have figured people out, it turns out to be a disaster."

Riley is fourteen and knows enough to keep to herself. But wanting to put "dog
Elizabeth
I actually need to start this review with three apologies. 1. To my family at large, because I was mostly incommunicado today while I devoured this entire book from start to finish. Thank you for not disturbing. 2. To my aunt, who didn't get to use my Kindle to read her newspaper today, because I was busy using it to devour this entire book from start to finish. Thank you for not whining, and next year bring your own Kindle. 3. To author/goddess Robin Brande, who gave me this ebook for free a lo ...more
Patty
I've been a fan of Robin Brande ever since reading Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature. She writes about interesting, interested teenage girls who follow their passion and, in so doing, build friendships and relationships with people who like and respect them for who they really are.

Doggirl is a high school student whose eye is set to the future: she wants to become a dog trainer for the movies, and she's practicing her skills right now with her adorable pets. Part of the reason that she'
Pauline Tilbe
My friends know that I was drawn to this book because of the dog on the cover. The blurb drew me in so I grabbed this book. It's awesome. Love all the dogs, love this character, Riley and I can't say enough about the message that resonates in this story. I would highly recommend this to adults and young adults.
Hana
Okay, so freshmen year, my best friend Kimberly was raving about this awesome ebook that she read, right? It sounded perfect for me! Introverted girl + theatre + dogs? Awesome!!
She was spot on. I really did like this book. It was one of the first ebooks that I've read, and it seemed to be like such a quick read compared to other books. Now, I've heard about people that don't read that use kindles and don't realize that they have blazed through 400 pages, and I think that the same happened to me
Jen
Jul 30, 2014 Jen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction, ya
I needed something easy to read. Something kind of brainless, and this seemed at first to fit the bill precisely. However, the book is a little more complicated than it appeared. It didn't stop me from liking it, though. If I could give half-stars, I'd have given it 3.5, but I rounded up.

Riley (Doggirl) gets involved with the drama club in her high school. There are a lot of undeveloped characters surrounding this plot, and that's really ok. They don't need to be completely developed, but it got
Becky
I've been wanting to reread Robin Brande's Doggirl for years now. I first read it in June 2011 and it was LOVE.

Riley Case is the heroine of this coming-of-age middle grade novel. Riley and her parents have recently moved to the area. The "official" reason for the move is for her mom to take a teaching job at a college. The unofficial reason for the move, well, Riley was being bullied by some of her classmates, and her life had become misery.

Riley knows exactly what she wants out of life. She w
Cindy Hudson
Riley Case, aka Doggirl, has always been better at communicating with dogs than people, and she sees no reason to change that. All she wants to do is get through high school and go to college so she can become a professional animal trainer.

So when the notice shows up about the school’s theater department needing a dog trainer with a trained dog, Riley thinks it’s the perfect way to get some experience under her belt without risking too much of herself. Before long she feels like one of the thea
Sheila Beaumont
High school freshman Riley Case is a girl who relates to animals much more easily than she does to people. She has a special affinity for animals and spends as much of her time training her three dogs to do new tricks as she can. But with people she just can't seem to fit in. She's afraid of rejection, especially after a torturously bad experience at her previous school, and prefers to blend into the background and keep her distance. Things slowly start changing when Riley accepts an opportunity ...more
Karen's Books Beside My Bed
Robin Brande is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors! I am going through her collection and feel that she is a very talented writer that can deal with heavy issues with surprising ease. In her book Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature she dealt with being a Christian and believing in evolution and now in Doggirl she handles a character who does not know how to fit in but it is so much more than that. Her books strive to entertain (and succeed) but there is an underlying smartness and ...more
Kaylabee
I really loved this book! Sure, this was mainly due to the supporting cast and the dogs, seeing as I didn't really connect with the main character. I'm sorry, but there comes a time when insecurities just sound whiny to me. I felt like she needed to get over herself, man-up, and make friends.
But I did feel like the supporting cast was very well developed. They were all CHARACTERS, you know? Like, real people. The dogs sounded adorable and it really made me want a puppy.
This was a very intere
Miranda
Doggirl is a well-written coming of age story. Riley Case is a freshman in a new town at a new high school. That's enough to make anyone a bit self-concious. But Riley is coming from a bad situation at her old school. Riley was the odd-girl out because of her love and understanding for animals and her parent's hand-made values in a buy-more-stuff world. Riley has always stood a bit back from the crowd, trying not to get involved, and her one attempt last year resulted in major bullying from the ...more
Rose Ann
I really loved this story.
I was alot like Riley in some ways...socially awkward, shy, defenses up, afraid of saying the "wrong" thing.
I loved watching the gradual changes in Riley.....and I really enjoyed the dogs! I never really had pets growing up, and my husband is not a big fan of dogs....so I had fun with this book. (I still REALLY want a dog, even more-so now that I've read Doggirl).
I admired her closeness with her parents too, and the sacrifices they made for their daughter.

I think one pa
Pauline Tilbe
Mar 13, 2012 Pauline Tilbe marked it as to-read
We've heard so much about young people who are teased and harrassed (I don't like the term bullied)but this story gives you the opportunity to see this from the side of the teen and the fa
Kat
Cute read. Cute story. I'd be happy to see a sequel or for this to turn into a miniseries, a trilogy at least. I think there is a lot more that could be developed, both on Riley's character and how she learns to get out of her shell, as a dog lover (have 4) it is an amazing read how a high schooler divides her time with the dogs. The small romance part wasn't so much a mystery as it was flaming obvious right from the beginning, and with the way it ended I'd be surprised if there isn't some sort ...more
Theo
Robin

Way cook book. I thought when I started reading this book that it would be a fantasy. The whole birds and dogs in the beginning of the book had me thinking where is she going with this story? If you love dogs you will love this book. If you enjoy a good story about finding yourself this is a book for you. Robin good story. Keep up the good work.
Gerald
I read Doggirl because I've read other books by Robin Brande, and loved them all. My love of dogs was just a bonus, but a huge bonus. Without the slightest doubt, I know that if you love dogs, too, you're going to adore this book.

Doggirl is certainly a winner among dog books, but it's much, much more than that. It's also a touching story of a young girl growing up and coming to terms with feeling like an unappreciated stranger among her contemporaries. I'm sure there are thousands of teenagers o
Amy Vaterlaus
I enjoyed this book very much! I think it could be because I am a huge lover of animals, especially dogs, that I thought it brought much joy reading Brande does a great job with Riley and really builds her characters around her well. I find it hard at times to see other writers make their "awkward" character be also liked by the reader and I think she kept her true to what she represented with not changing her drastically in the end.
Carly
May 27, 2011 Carly added it
Shelves: 2011, tbf-author
Another great novel by Robin Brande. I was so excited to hear that this was coming out and thanks so much, Robin, for providing me with a copy! I loved "Doggirl" as much as I loved "Evolution, Me, and Other Freaks of Nature" and "Fat Cat." Robin's ability to create characters that are real, and likable, and relatable is what makes her books as wonderful as they are. I completely connected with Riley and her insecurities, and her dogs, Fig, Jack, and Heidi, were just as lovable as the human chara ...more
Michelle
Told from the point of view of Riley, a freshman who is good with animals but not with people. After being tormented by friends in middle school, Riley decided that the only friends she needed were her parents and her 3 dogs. She keeps a low, lonely profile in high school until she volunteers her amazing trained dogs for a drama production. Will she be able to let people get to know her, or is the risk too great? Likable characters, witty and intelligent dialogue, a little romance, and lovable d ...more
Anna A
Mar 02, 2012 Anna A rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes animals.
Recommended to Anna by: Free from Amazon
It's been a while since I've read Young Adult books that weren't something in the sci-fi realm. This was REALLY good, took me back to my childhood when I used to read books about animals, always wanting some of my own! This book was really down to earth, came with mostly grounded advice, and just had a really good premise/moral story/ending. Very satisfying. I wish there was a continuation book, but I'm ok even though there isn't.
Karin
I ALMOST NEVER give 5 stars.... That's how much I loved this story. All of the characters were awesome and very well done. I was mooning over Nate by half way through. I had tears during several parts. I really felt for Rieley, she was an amazing character. If you even remotely like dogs - READ THIS! They are the show stealers!!!
Christian
This is a cute MG novel. There are no extraordinary frills, but it's an enjoyable read. And it has dogs.

I think what I like is the subtle message that things get better. Sometimes they don't get better until you move or grow up or meet new people, but there are people out there who appreciate your quirks.
Kelly
a Young Adult work of fiction, this book was right up my alley. All about a girl that relates to animals better than people, and about some of the issues she's had in school because of it. I loved this book SO much! I highly recommend it to my crazy dog friends!
Jocelyn
I am LOVING this. Robin sent me an eGalley (yep, I called her Robin - first name basis, we're Tight.) and I can't stop reading! SO SO Good.

Update: It continued to be GREAT right up to the last page. Definitely one I will be recommending to my teens.
Diane
Read this book for our mother daughter book club. While it was our "fluffy" pick for the beginning of summer it did touch on many of the issues facing young teens. Did provide some discussion about bullying and acceptance - but very predictable.
Megan D. Neal
My 12 year old loves this book and really relates to the main character, since her interests, pursuits, and personality are exactly that of the character.
Joanne
Since I am a dog lover I truly loved this book. Riley and Nates relationship endured me throughout. I would definately recommend this book.
Janelle
Just CUTE! If you love dogs and have ever felt like you were unsure of yourself, this book is for you!
  • OyMG
  • Drawing Out the Dragons: A Meditation on Art, Destiny, and the Power of Choice (Meditations)
  • No Shelter (Holly Lin, #1)
  • Zero
  • Inconvenient Love
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Crystal & Bone (October Girls, #1)
  • Chameleon (Ripple, #2)
  • It’s a Dog’s Life
  • A Dog Named Slugger
  • Alchemy
  • Rottweiler Rescue (Diane Brennan Mystery #1)
  • Set in Stone
  • Princess (American Princess, #1)
  • I'm Listening With a Broken Ear
  • Woof (Bowser and Birdie #1)
  • The Synthesis (Powerless, #1)
  • Smart Dog
Award-winning author Robin Brande is a former trial attorney, entrepreneur, black belt in martial arts, Girl Scout leader, community college instructor, yoga instructor, outdoor adventurer, and certified wilderness medic. Her novels have been named Best Fiction for Young Adults by the American Library Association. She was selected as the Judy Goddard/Libraries Ltd. Arizona Young Adult Author of th ...more
More about Robin Brande...
Fat Cat Evolution, Me & Other Freaks of Nature Into the Parallel (Parallelogram, #1) Love Proof Replay