Start by marking “Myths And Legends (Red Hot Reads)” as Want to Read:
Myths And Legends (Red Hot Reads)

Myths And Legends (Red Hot Reads)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  395 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Good: A copy that has been read, but remains in clean condition. All pages are intact, and the cover is intact (including dust cover, if applicable). The spine may show signs of wear. Pages can include limited notes and highlighting, and the copy can include "From the library of" labels.Some of our books may have slightly worn corners, and minor creases to the covers. Plea ...more
Paperback
Published June 21st 2004 by Kingfisher Books Ltd (first published September 27th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Myths And Legends, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myths And Legends

Kaitlyn
My parents got me this book when I was a kid for my birthday & I basically thought it was the coolest thing ever... for a while. But throughout the end of elementary on up through high school, I don't know that I touched it again. But then, a couple of semesters ago, we discussed Narcissus in a class and were assigned to go look up the story. I was going to just google it, but randomly thought of this book and went to it instead. I rediscovered why I loved this book when I was little.

The sto
Megan
Anthony Horowitz is best known for the Alex Rider series, which has been popular in our library with upper elementary and middle school readers, especially boys. In "Myths and Legends," he offers up several short stories, including classics such as "Pandora's Box." Most of the myths were Greek. All the stories were interesting, simple, and easily understandable. I would highly recommend this, especially because of the increased interest in mythology due to the Percy Jackson craze. It's a nice in ...more
Simon
Ancient myths and legends, mostly Greek, are retold with wit and humanity. These interesting interpretations of ancient tales contain some laugh out loud moments. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.
Daisy
Aug 10, 2014 Daisy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in myths and legends
Okay, before I start my review I just want to clear one thing up. On the back of the book (at least of the edition I've got) it says: THE GREATEST MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF ANCIENT TIMES RETOLD BY TODAY'S MOST EXCITING STORYTELLER. If you're looking for an exciting story book, don't listen to this. I didn't find it exciting, the closest thing to exciting was a tiny part in the story of The Hounds of Actaeon, where he's being chased by the hounds (sorry for the spoiler). Yeah, so, this book: not excit ...more
Alazzar
I only got through the first three stories on this book before I had to give it up. I love a lot of the ideas behind mythology, but I feel that far too often the writing is too dull to hold my attention; it's often written like a textbook or the Bible. As much as I like the legends and premises behind the stories, I just have a hard time actually sitting down and reading through them.

I thought this book would be my cure. I'd heard that Horowitz had retold these myths with wit and whatnot, but I'
Drake clay
Tragedies and triumphs are memorable themes in this collection of thirty-five myths and legends from the ancient world. Including the greatest stories in Greek mythology. Some of the most famous characters and mythical monsters are in this collection.

There were some heroic characters set on missions to do what was right to save there town. These were people such as Osiris, Perseus, Hercules, Odysseus, and King Arthur. These fine people were the protectors of all that was human, meaning the myt
Claire Liu
I am really fond of myths and legends since they are a mixture of fantasy and a somewhat view of the truth. When I saw the book ‘Myths and Legends’ I was immediately captivated, and after realising the author was Anthony Horowitz, an author I’ve admired when several years back, I knew I had to read this book.

Myths and Legends is a book of short stories. It is packed with myths from all round the world, mostly greek myths. One of the stories I really enjoyed was The Seven Pomegranate Seeds. I al
Rebecca
I enjoy Horowitz writing style and have enjoyed both his Alex Rider novels and the Power of Five set. This was a collection of short stories based on myths and legends from various cultures mainly Greek. It was okay but for me got a bit tedious after awhile but I tend to tea for fun rather than education.
Ayesha
So this book was okay there were some stories in this book that i enjoyed more than others and i liked learning about all the different myths and ledgends and stories.
Samantha Lazar
CIP:Tragedies and triumphs are memorable themes in this collection of thirty-five myths and legends from the ancient world. Including the lesser-known tales of Polynesia and the Americas alongside the greatest stories in Greek mythology, young readers will explore the folklore of past civilizations.

This book is about Greek myths and legends. I have always found the Greek culture very interesting, and I remember studying it when I was a student. It has been a while, so this book served as a revie
Julian
I read this story in there about a monkey that was born from an egg and he got powers from a wizard and he tried to take over heaven or something!
Katrina Winchell
Geared towards juvenile readers, it has a plethora of myths told in easy to read and understand little vignettes.
Lorenzo Mendoza
Oct 01, 2008 Lorenzo Mendoza rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody that is interest in mythology.
Recommended to Lorenzo Mendoza by: I picked it myself.
This book is about all the Greek myths and legends and even Egyptian and roman legends are thrown into this book. This book contains all the legendary Greek hero stories and god stories. The story theme is a number of different kinds. Some of the stories relate to a lot of things going on the world today. This book has relations to middlesex because they have to do with mythology. I really enjoyed this book with the variety of different stories thrown in ranging from egyptian to greek. So if you ...more
Amy Lynn
THIS WAS MY FAVOURITE BOOK WHEN I WAS A KID!
James Lowrey
Read this in my final year of primary school as it was pretty much the only book on the school bookshelf i hadn't read at the time. As a retelling of well-known myths and legends, it does skimp on a lot of the detail to make it more accessible to the younger reader but it is still a superb retelling of these stories that is certainly one of the prevailing reasons for my interest in Greek mythology today.
Marissa Morrison
Lively retellings of old stories from around the world (but mostly from ancient Greece). Horowitz doesn't flesh out the stories a great deal, but he does add witty lines, such as:

- "Thor and Loki stood sheepishly while the goddess of love glared at them with remarkably little love in her eyes."

- "Hypaepae didn't have a village green. It had a village moldy brown."
Caroline
There are so many references in literature to characters in mythology, so I thought this would be a good refresher. It was fun to notice that the three-headed dog in Harry Potter #1 bears a strong resemblance to the three-headed dog that guards the underworld. Also noticed that Shakespeare might have got the idea for Romeo and Juliet from Pyramus and Thisbe.
Aimée
Reading this since I have to teach it this year. I don't mind. Mythology rules. But you know.

Liked: It has myths from several different cultures.

Meh: It has millions of Greek myths to choose from, and THOSE are the ones they picked?!!!

Disliked: It was almost TOO juvenile. I can't believe I have to do this with high school freshmen.
Kristina  UK
Some of these myths were easier to read than others. Others were like trudging through a quagmire, which is sad because they're quite short but they didn't seem to be written in a style that would appeal to a YA reader. Others were much lighter, flowed better and I zapped through, these tended to be the ones that had been rewritten more.
Libby Ames
The writing isn't great, but Horowitz does a good job of making the classic myths approachable. He includes enough humor to capture the intended audience. Although less intellectual and informative, Myths and Legends is a more approachable book for exposure to traditional mythology than Edith Hamilton's Mythology.
Dayna Smith
This is a brilliant collection of myths and legends from a variety of cultures. Included are myths and legends from the Greeks, Norse, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and more. Horowitz writes in a clear and entertaining style. A great read-aloud book.
Ron
Tales from all over the world, some you thought you knew told in a new way, modernised in a way that seems contemporary but yet traditional in a strange way, others new to you in both senses. Many of the tales were as unusual as the sentence above!
Jana
It's the book that I never move from my bedroom. My boyfriend bought it to read us stories before we fall asleep. We really enjoy that, and because this is more simplified version, I often have vivid and great dreams.

Excellent and educational.
♆Beth♆♫Ƈαυѕє нσηєу уσυя ѕσυƖ cσυƖɗ ηєνєя gяσω σƖɗ, ιт'ѕ єνєяgяєєη♫ C
To start with, I didn't enjoy this book much. But then I did!! My favourite story by far was Narcissus. I was thinking about not finishing this, but I'm glad I did, as my second favourite story was in the second half!
Iris
I am ascinated by legends. I loved the stories Horowitz wrote in this book.
They're easy to read and to understand.
I think it's lovely how the Gods and Godesses were portraited!
I loved how they were old stories, but were written in a contemporary way. I alss liked how there was a mix of different cultures, not just the conventional ones :)
Michaela Gibson
This is a very good book of stories. Each story was very entertaining and I would suggest it to anyone looking for an easy read!
Babette
if you're interested in myths and legends, you should read it: a very good writer and a subject you like combined in one!
Reetta Saine
Enough action and a bit of parody really refreshed old myths. I (secretly) love Horowitz and everything he writes :)!
Chris Morton
Great to experience all these classic myths in such an easy to read format.
  • Greyling: A Picture Story from the Islands of Shetland
  • Magical Beasts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • Favorite Greek Myths
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • De Griezelbus 3
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • De kracht van Ajajatsoe
  • Abeltje en De A van Abeltje
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)
  • How Angel Peterson Got His Name
  • Dragons: A Natural History
  • Tales of the Greek Heroes: Retold From the Ancient Authors
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...
Stormbreaker (Alex Rider, #1) Scorpia (Alex Rider, #5) Point Blank (Alex Rider, #2) Eagle Strike (Alex Rider, #4) Skeleton Key (Alex Rider, #3)