Start by marking “There's a Bat in Bunk Five” as Want to Read:
There's a Bat in Bunk Five

There's a Bat in Bunk Five (Marcy Lewis #2)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,347 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Now you can find Paula Danziger's funny and compassionate testaments to the ups and downs of growing up, "The Cat Ate My Gymsuit" and "There's A Bat In Bunk Five," available in a brand new format sure to elicit lots of laughs (and maybe even a few tears) from teens everywhere. "Danziger skillfully balances her insight into the daily trauma of the young adult years with lib ...more
Paperback
Published April 13th 1998 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about There's a Bat in Bunk Five, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There's a Bat in Bunk Five

Liz Thompson
Feb 02, 2008 Liz Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The new covers for adolescent books are so ridiculous. When I read the Danziger books, they looked like they had been painted by someone who held a brush in one hand and a joint in the other.
Mayra Nobel
Aug 31, 2007 Mayra Nobel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
I have been looking for this book ever since I read in it the 7th grade. I couldn't remember the name of it for the longest time and TODAY I thought what the heck I will google it once again (I just had a feeling I should) and not 5min into my search I found it!! This is a great story to read! I remember I could not stop smiling for most of the book. It just so damn sweet!
AE
Marcy is slimmed down and back for another round of love, life and laughter. hahah. what a cheesy review.
Nazmin
Jun 05, 2011 Nazmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In this book I think the author wants us to know that Marcy is a girl who doesn't really fit in with most people because of how she looks. Also Marcy and her father don't have a good connection.But when she goes to this special writing camp to be a counselor, her life just turns so much better. I think the author also wants us to fell happy for Marcy because she finally found someone who respects how she looks, after all those years of thinking that no one will ever like her. If I put myself in ...more
Massiel
This is a book that talks about a girl named Marcy that is 14 years old. She goes to camp and the drama begins! Girls from all over go to camp and all get along except Ginger a girl that always have been a trouoble maker makes. But when Marcy finds a guy named Ted they fall in love and start going out everything gets better!! But when camp is starting to finish their relationship might finsh also.
Chris
Jan 25, 2008 Chris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yanovels
When I moved into my classroom, there were all manner of paperbacks left on the bookcase in the back of the room- this was one of them. I never would have read Theres a Bat In Bunk Five when I was of the age that this book is aimed at, but reading it now, I really appreciate Dazinger's characterization and
Madeleine
I have found it a real enjoyment and I hope to read more of Paula Danziger books. I strongly suggest this book to anyone!
HeavyReader
Jun 23, 2007 HeavyReader rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: slightly gawky teenage girls
Shelves: young-adult
This sequal to The Cat Ate My Gymsuit was one of my favorite books as a teenager. I remember there was enough romance in it to keep it interesting, but not enough sex to be scandalizing.
Karen
Jun 07, 2007 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fuel for the summer camp mania fire.
Meg Thomas
Jan 24, 2017 Meg Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-paper-books
Pure nostalgia read. Bought a copy at the used book store and read it for old times sake. Enjoyed it as a revisit but don't know how much it would resonate with kids today. Does make me want to go back and read a bunch of her other stuff like the Divorce Express.
Jen
Nov 01, 2015 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The other Marcy Lewis book, The Cat Ate My Gymsuit, was one of my favorite favorite books when I was a kid. I didn't even know this one existed until about last month--and to be honest, I'm kind of glad about that. This is a book I needed to come to as an adult, not because the themes were overly adult-y but because I wouldn't have been able to relate to Marcy and her life.
In this book, Marcy has slimmed down (which I still haven't, but whatever, that's fine) and been invited to help as a couns
Jaime W
Jan 05, 2012 Jaime W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jaime Waldron

Due 1/13/12

D block

There’s a bat in bunk five by Paula Danziger is a summer romance. Marcy a high spirted creative writer. A c.i.t.(counselor in training) at a camp run by Ms. Finney and old teacher. Creative arts camp music,drama,and writing. There are many other c.i.t. there and counselors to including the boys she is now crushing on. They leave to go on romantic dates with each other during there breaks and after everyone of there campers have go to bed. There is a thrill when you
Marie F
Sep 08, 2015 Marie F rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlets
Tolerable, but meandering sequel to Cat Ate My Gymsuit. The character isn't one of my favorites but she does 'grow up' a bit more, which makes her slightly less grating but no more interesting. Sadly, the writing is still pretty sporadic, and the themes are heavy handed but not especially moralizing. My middle school boys appreciated this one more than CAMG, largely because of less emphasis on her self perception but they also appreciated the camp setting and increased activity. (I really think ...more
Jenny
Jan 10, 2014 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was as good and sassy as I remember from my pre-teens, but in both this and Remember Me to Harold Square a lot of stuff happens without spending much time with it; the story races through things without you really experiencing the development of feelings etc. Both books are short reads but I don't know if that's an excuse for it...
Nowadays I think I would want to feel more personality. But I did love this when I was young. I think because I needed to read books where STUFF happened to teen
Bronwen
Mar 16, 2010 Bronwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my favorite book in fourth or fifth grade. I read it at least six times. I came across this new edition recently and read it for nostalgia. It was just as good as it was back then. And I was surprised at how much of it I remembered, word for word, after 20-some years. Danziger does a great job of developing thoughtful characters in short books.

I think books for older children and young adults from the 70s and early 80s are so much better than ones written today. Possibly because I spen
Nancy Brady
A tween chapter book about a young teen who gets to experience camp. Marcy is a CIT (counselor in training) for a favorite teacher. She deals with new friends, a first boyfriend, and bats, learning how not to be so scared of what life throws at her. She will grow up some and learn not that everything is good or bad and she doesn't have to be perfect. But dealing with Ginger might be the biggest lesson she learns.
Tara
Nov 30, 2009 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book by Danziger, with good character development. One thing that does bother me, though, is that she tends to take a similar view of intimacy that I've seen in other young teen books - the characters aren't too intimate because they "don't think they're ready yet," as opposed to having any religious values or realizing that virginity is a virtue. It's always refreshing to find books with a more definite moral stand, especially in today's world.
Kris - My Novelesque Life
4 STARS

"Marcy Lewis is thrilled when Ms. Finney asks her to be a junior counselor at a creative arts camp. Finally, she's on her own for the first time, away from family and school. It's her big chance to reinvent herself in a place where no one knows how insecure she used to be. This could be the perfect summer, but will nosy, noisy campers ruin it all?" (From Amazon)

A great fun read for preteens.
Karetchko
I read this book over and over in my youth, along with several other Paula Danziger books that were published around the same time. This one seemed to have the biggest influence on me, because around five or six years after reading it, I decided to apply for jobs as a sleepaway camp counselor (a job I loved and did for four summers).
Tiye. G
This is a coming of age story, main character Marcy turns from immaturity, to maturity. The feeling of growing up is when your parents let you go to summer camp alone. this is also independence, because its showing how she can get work as a junior counselor. Paula Danzinger shows how perfect this book is for teens or pre-teens
Kricket
this is one i loved in junior high and recently found at a used book sale for 10 cents. even though it's ludicrously dated at this point, i still love danziger's honest way of writing. this is the sequel to "the cat ate my gym suit" and features marcy working as a CIT at an artistic summer camp and falling in love for the first time.
Benjamin Elliott
The Cat Ate My Gym Suit, to which this is the sequel, had major themes about gender roles, educational practices, etc. There's a Bat in Bunk Five was more just a coming of age story for the main character. It's probably more relatable for its primary audience, but it doesn't hold as much interest for those of us who aren't young girls as the first book does.
Brian Hodges
Recommended to me by my 8-year-old daughter, which made me awfully surprised when they started swearing and talking about sex. But hey, it's a pretty innocent and sweet quasi-coming-of-age-at-summer-camp story.
Linda
Sep 28, 2015 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I read this as a kid and loved it. For book club we chose a book from our childhood and read it again. Boring as an adult, but interesting to think about what made me love it as a kid. I loved this author.
Jul Aristoza
Dec 14, 2012 Jul Aristoza rated it really liked it
I read this book back when I was 12, and it is the perfect book for that awkward tween stage. The book tackles on the topics of first 'real' love, the 'noveltical' lure of sex and the misconception of self-image most girls are troubled with today.
Sara
Jan 02, 2013 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Re-read of an old childhood standby. I think I liked it way back because the main character's life was so utterly different from my own. Doesn't really hold up over time, though. The writing style is too sparse in some places and overly detailed in others.
Brenda
Feb 20, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
marcy lewis and her family are back. She is a little older and ready to challenge herself in new adventures. She discovers working, dating, love and nurturing all the while growing up a little more and coming into her own as a person.

Danziger is an author every child should read
Amanda jimenez
Jan 19, 2010 Amanda jimenez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bat in bunk 5 is about a girl who goes to camp and whatches these little kids.While at camp lots of drama begins! While there she starts likeing someone.She started likeing this boy named Ted and eventually falls in love with him.I recomend this book to anyone.
Lily
May 09, 2013 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's a bat in bunk five is a story about Marcy Lewis. She goes to a camp with one of her past teacher, Ms. Finney, who tells Marcy to call her Barbara. The are at a literary camp and something happens to a bully at the camp.
Courtney Graham
OMG!! I read this book in the 5th grade and I can say this was the most rememberable book ever. I'm 17 years old and would still re-read this book.
  • Hail, Hail Camp Timberwood
  • Love Is One of the Choices
  • Dinky Hocker Shoots Smack!
  • The Luckiest Girl (First Love, #2)
  • The Late Great Me
  • The Watcher in the Woods
  • The Graduation of Jake Moon
  • My Darling, My Hamburger
  • Journey
  • Say Goodbye (Sweet Valley High, #23)
Born in Washington, D.C. and raised in New York, Paula Danziger knew since the second grade that she wanted to be a writer. Throughout her career, she wrote a collection of children's stories, including The Cat Ate my Gymsuit, The Divorce Express and, more recently, the Amber Brown series.
Danziger loved to travel and meet young kids all over the world. She was embraced by her audience for her abil
More about Paula Danziger...

Marcy Lewis (2 books)
  • The Cat Ate My Gymsuit

“It's not easy being so frightened of everything. And when I think of how much I've improved in the last year, I wonder when I'll ever get finished with making changes and be really grown up.” 21 likes