Our Triune God: Living in the Love of the Three-in-One

Our Triune God: Living in the Love of the Three-in-One

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  14 reviews

Provides a pastor’s perspective for a fuller understanding of the saving, mysterious, practical, and glorious Trinity.

How are we to relate to a three-personed God? The idea of the Trinity may initially seem too abstract to understand, but the truth is that a deeper knowledge of God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has daily importance. Convinced that many Christians “have s

Published April 7th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published April 1st 2011)

Jimmy
I was using this book as part of a discipleship with a brother at our church in which we were going over the doctrine of the Trinity and implications of the Trinity for the Christian life and worship. The size of this work is great for a small theological devotional, coming in at 114 page of content. This book is written by Philip Ryken and Michael Lefebvre, with Ryken being the better known author who is currently the senior minister at the historic Tenth Presbyterian Church and also president...more
Kent
Apr 15, 2013 Kent rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who know little of the Trinity; new believers
Recommended to Kent by: Justin Taylor's blog
This is a good introduction to the Trinity. The authors discuss the concept of the Trinity, the various roles of the persons of the Trinity, and our responses to each of the persons.

What I appreciate about the book is that it highlights the relevance of the doctrine of the Trinity. Too many believers see the Trinity as a biblical teaching, but one that doesn't make much difference in their everyday lives. Bogus thinking.

Nonetheless, I was looking for more depth. The book is great for those who...more
Adam Shields
Short review: This book is ok, but not great. It is primarily focused on the wrong things in my mind. Most discussion about the trinity is focused on humans and human salvation and the limits of what humans can know about the trinity. It doesn't touch at all on the social aspects of the trinity or explore how those social aspect should impact our ecclesiology or other human relationships. There are several good quotes and a couple of good ideas, but on the whole it seems to be a miss.

My longer r...more
Budi Kurniawan
Clear, concise, easy to understand explanation on one of the hardest doctrine in Christianity, the doctrine of Trinity. This book provides straight-to-the-point concept, and it does shed light for me on my understanding of the Trinity. The concept it not illogical, it's just an analogical problem, because there is none like it in our worldly experience. This book also covers practical aspects on how do we relate exactly with Trinity in our daily Christian life.
Andrew Mcneill
This is a short, concise and helpful overview of the Trinity. It is not a complex book but it is undeniably helpful in its simplicity yet simultaneous profundity. It gives the reader a fresh appreciation for the greatness of the Trinity and the cooperation of Father, Son and Holy Spirit in planning, purchasing and applying salvation. Very readable and insightful.
Brad
Readable, encouraging and devotional, while also answering some common objections to the Trinity (cf. Chapter 2). Refreshing in its approach, the chapters focus on portions of Scripture that unpack the Trinity's relevance for life (Chapter 1 - Ephesians 1:3-14; Chapter 3 - John 13-17; Chapter 4 - Luke's Gospel).
Joshua Nuckols
Short book with solid theology, though the writing wasn't exactly stunning. The Trinity is a mystery, but this in no way makes it illogical. The reason for it's mysterious nature is the lack of trinitarian analogy in our created world.
Nehe
A quick read; much of it was elementary. A bit repetitive throughout. Glad I didn't buy it. Not worth paying 15 bucks for such a <120 page book.

Maybe get multiple copies for your unitarian neighbors (Jews, Muslims or JW's) or polytheists (Mormons)
Bruno
Brilliant book. Ryken is solidly theological but not dryly theological. He points us the wonder and glory of the triune God's commitment to us in salvation and the invitation we have to joyful intimacy with God in his joyful trinitarian fellowship.
Godly
Excellent book about the significance of understanding and loving the Triune God. The book goes through many texts to reveal the nature of the Trinity and its joint operation in the salvation of Sinners. Recommended.
Mark Loughridge
Pretty good introduction to the Trinity. Chapter 2 on the Mysterious Trinity was the stand out one for me. Would have been the go-to introduction book if Mike Reeves hadnt written 'The Good God'!
Michael
Excellent introduction to the subject and a remarkable vision of the Trinitarian life. I can't believe it was only a 114 pages.
Kyle Lammott
Excellent book! Ryken presents the doctrine of the trinity in a very doxological nature.
Anna
A good introduction to the Trinity for a lay reader ... practical and devotional.
Robie Day
Good, concise, and practical introduction to the doctrine of the Trinity.
Chris Allen
Good introduction to the doctrine of the trinity.
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jeff Locke
Jeff Locke marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Shari Coren
Shari Coren marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Michael Whitworth
Michael Whitworth marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
207069
Philip Graham Ryken is Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, where he has preached since 1995. He is Bible Teacher for the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, speaking nationally on the radio program Every Last Word. Dr. Ryken was educated at Wheaton College (IL), Westminster Theological Seminary (PA) and the University of Oxford (UK), from which he received his doctorate...more
More about Philip Graham Ryken...
Art for God's Sake: A Call to Recover the Arts Loving the Way Jesus Loves City on a Hill: Reclaiming the Biblical Pattern for the Church Galatians (Reformed Expository Commentary) King Solomon: The Temptations of Money, Sex, and Power