Little Myth Marker

Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures #6)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  4,457 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Skeeve's dealt himself a fine mess of trouble this time. First he bluffs his way into a high-stakes game of dragon poker, and, by some miracle wins. Then, still flush with luck, Skeeve heads straight for the king of dragon poker, the Sen-Sen Ante Kid. And with a pot of half a million, there'd better not be any myth-deals.

But even if Skeeve can hold his own in a high-stakes...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published July 1st 1987 by Ace Books (first published 1985)

J
Little Myth Marker is one of the better of the Myth books. More Aahz and Skeeve and a good little storyline. Lots of mystery and intrigue. The “marker” idea is hilarious! Skeeve’s a daddy! Sort of. The chapter quotes continue to be excellent. Asprin does a fine job showing how Skeeve’s growing up and becoming a man. Still could use more illustrations from Foglio but there you go. This is easily one of the best series ever.
Andi
I've read enough of the series to understand how the twists and turns will work by the end, which, of course, only makes me smug and obnoxious when I'm finally proved right.
Rob
This was one of the myth books I remembered having liked the most when I read it in 7th grade. i really liked the dragon poker match and then loaning out all of the money. Good book and then at the end they formed the company M.Y.T.H inc.
Walt
The sixth book in the myth series. This storyline was very clever. I had no idea who the villian(s) were until the very end.
Spigana
Mītu sērija uzņem apgriezienus un šī noteikti ir viena no labākajām sērijas grāmatām, te īsti nav pat kam piekasīties.
Skīva slava turpina augt un nu viņam beidzot nākas arī nopietni sastapties ar šīs slavas sekām. Pie kam, Skīvs beidzot sāk atgādināt saprātīgu būtni, kas noteikti uzlabo visu šo pasākumu, arī stāsts pie viena kļūst dziļāks. Un beidzot varoņu emocionālās atklāsmes vairs neizklausās bezcerīgi banālas, bet gan veiksmīgi iederas sižetā.
Un nevar noliegt, ka šinī grāmatā ir aprakstīta...more
Fatbaldguy60
Not bad, some decent new characters.
Ensiform
The sixth Myth Adventures book. Skeeve lucks into a big win in a Dragon Poker game at the Bazaar, leading to three unwanted consequences. The first is Skeeve reluctantly taking charge of titular Markie, a little girl left as an actual "marker" in the game by a losing player; the second is a challenge to a face-off by the greatest player in the dimensions, the Sen-Sen Ante Kid, a challenge which Skeeve’s reputation cannot refuse; and the third is the news that a coterie of merchants have hired th...more
John Kirk
The best compliment I can give this book is that it's a mystery story which holds up to re-readings. Once you know "whodunnit", a second reading will reveal clues that you might have missed the first time around, so the writer plays fair by giving you enough information to work it out for yourself. At the same time, there are valid reasons for the characters (and reader) to miss those clues. Also, there are enough other things going on that the story doesn't rely on the mystery.

There are some ne...more
Kez
While I enjoyed this book more than the previous one, I still found the characterization of Skeeve irritating. I can appreciate the direction that Asprin is taking him in only because I know how things are going to lead, but when I first read this book his actions annoyed me no end. The explanations of Dragon Poker made me laugh however and I really want to find some rules and give the game a play myself. I mean two dozen conditional modifiers in a match??

The dynamics that Markie stirs up with h...more
Jessica
First time ever - Skeeve figures something out that none of his friends know. He figures out who it was that set him up.

This was a bit of a step back for me. It was a little more easy to figure out and to foresee what was going to happen, which was a little disappointing.

And I was a little frustrated by Skeeve's insistence to do things on his own, knowing that his friends only wanted to teach him, and to help save him from himself. His naivete started to get a bit old, and I fully expected him...more
Tommy /|\
Asprin continues with his pun-filled world of Deevils, Perverts...err...Pervects, and other assorted characters of an odd nature. However, this time he adds two interesting new characters. One is a young child whom Skeeve wins in a card game. As the player who lost didn;t have the money to pay, he leaves Skeeve with a marker - hence the title of the book. The other is Bunny, Skeeve's appointed moll from the Fairy GodFather. Both characters set forth to wreack havoc on Skeeve and his gang of frie...more
Dehibberdwrites
Robert Asprin writes brilliant humor in his MYTH series. He creates an odd assortment of characters that are fun to read about. I would read the books to my family and we laughed our way through all the books. If you like humor, magic, mobsters, demons, dragons, and other such characters, read Robert's MYTH books. If you don't like those kinds of characters, read the books and you will come away with some crazy new friends.
yellowbird
This is where Robert Asprin started to lose me. Any book with a M.Y.T.H. Inc. in the title was so overloaded with characters that it was almost unreadable. I loved the original books, because they were fun and simple fantasy stories with a main character who was out of his depth, but determined to make the best of it. And I still miss the light-hearted fantasy that Asprin used to write.
Chappy
just when I think these books cant keep entertaining me, making me think and make me laugh all at the same time, another brilliant instalment in the series. at first you think skeeve and the others have no idea what's going on, it all works itself out in the end. Once again I highly recommend this book to any fan of reading. clever characters, a brilliant story and lots of laughs for all ages.
Tom Loock
Re-read in December 2013. Little Myth Marker is still funny, but it's a bit thin story-wise if you take out the rules and description of the (dragon) poker game. Bunny is a very nice addition to the motley crew. On to the next one.
H-d Kg
It was a good read. Interesting ideas throughout the book with twists and conflicts, everything that should be in a book, but for my level of reading there just wasn't enough impact. It's definitely designed as a transition book for young readers.
If you are a lover of Terry Pratchett you'll like this one. Similar story line however can never match Terry's writing style.

Sweet little story. Will definately pick up some more as an easy read
Leli
a little predictable, but enjoyable all the same
Mandie
I read these books when I was a kid. I don't remember a lot about them, but I do remember loving the crap out of them. I would love to read through them all again someday!
Holly
Good, but predictable. Then again, I don't read these books for the twists and turns. I read them for the humor and wit, and this book did not disappoint in that regard.
Bryan457
Skeeve gets involved in a game of high stakes dragon poker.

I like Markie; Skeeve is annoying, as is Maasha and the idiot mobsters.
Seems like this one was kind of preachy.
J.M.
Read in high school. A really great series; Aspirin's humorous fantasy is phenomenal. I'd love to get another copy and reread them all.
Travis
Still fun, but the cast and the story threads are starting to pile up and Asprin seemed too busy juggling them to just tell a fun story.
Scott Cook
Now I know why I stopped reading this series to my kids. Not so age-appropriate for them just yet but still entertaining.
Richard Kelly
Still a little light on the story in my opinion, but the fun factor was notched up in this one with the poker.
Shannon Appelcline
I find the little girl of the title simplu annoying. Fortunately the book is saved by humor and great characterization.
Sanya Weathers
Aaaaaand this was the point where even as an eleven year old, I started getting annoyed with the series.
Tom Rowe
A shark jumper in the series? Maybe since I don't remember what happened in any of the books after this.
Lori
I absolutely love the Myth Adventures saga! It's funny and witty and a great read. :)
Jaq Greenspon
There really is a nice progression to these books and they're just fun to read!
  • An Excess of Enchantments (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #2)
  • Castle for Rent (Castle Perilous, #2)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)
  • The Warlock Unlocked (Warlock Series, #3)
  • Chicks in Chainmail (Chicks in Chainmail, #1)
  • Ripping Time (Time Scout, #3)
  • The Wizardry Cursed (Wiz, #3)
  • The Blood of Ten Chiefs (The Blood of Ten Chiefs, #1)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Phule's Company (Phule's Company, #1)

“They never let you live it down. One little mistake!"- Nero” 3 likes