Start by marking “Fractured Fairy Tales” as Want to Read:
Fractured Fairy Tales

Fractured Fairy Tales

Long before there were "Politically Correct Bedtime Stories", Americans were getting their giggles from "Fractured Fairy Tales", a regular feature on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" in the 1960s. Now, for the first time, these delightfully warped parables are available in read-aloud book form, illustrated with classic art from the show.
Published November 3rd 1997 by Bantam (first published January 28th 1997)

Chris
Oct 30, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing
Remember the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon? Between "episodes" you would see a 2 min. fairy tale. Those fairy tales have been written down, and are totally entertaining.

Rocky and Bullwinkle aren't on TV anymore, but at least my children can enjoy the fractured fairy tales that I enjoyed!
Katie Daniels
Oct 15, 2016 Katie Daniels rated it really liked it
Oh my word...the bad puns abound.
Mary
Oct 08, 2016 Mary added it
Very entertaining.
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Aug 17, 2014 Cindy Dyson Eitelman rated it liked it
Shelves: 2000-12
Yes, it's the same ones as those on the Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. I was a devoted follower for many years of my youth--that and Yogi Bear are truly the best Saturday morning cartoons ever made although Phineas and Ferb would probably be third if (a) it had been around back then and (b) it was a Saturday morning cartoon. Saturday mornings were special, special in a kids-only kind of way that the young whippersnappers of today will never comprehend. If you weren't there when the cartoons were ...more
Kirsten Simkiss
Aug 01, 2016 Kirsten Simkiss rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A solid 4 stars out of 5.

I really enjoyed it! It's not a hard read and nothing is taken seriously at all. About half of the stories end in glorious puns, which is wonderful for me. I love puns. The worse they are and the harder I've walked into them, the better! My only complaint is that they had multiple versions of the same stories in the collection but didn't differentiate authors, if the authors were different. They also were a bit more ridiculous than I loved. Fractured indeed. I had a goo
Orion
Sep 29, 2013 Orion rated it liked it
As part of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show, Jay War produced 91 cartoons between 1953 and 1964 in a series called Fractured Fairy Tales, humorous retellings of classic fairy tales narrated by Edward Everett Horton and written by the staff writers for the show. This book, written by A. J. Jacobs in 1997, takes 25 of those cartoons and adapts them as short fairy tales. Some references are updated for a new audience but he is fairly faithful to the scripts and does well at turning them into stories. ...more
Amber the Human
Jan 15, 2013 Amber the Human rated it really liked it
My dad gave me this for Christmas and I'm glad he did - it was the right book to read on the planes coming back from Minneapolis to Los Angeles: short, not serious, entertaining and therefore distracting. I just finished them up, and they work just as well in the book as they did on the TV show, which I loved. I remember when this book came out, I was at the Barnes and Noble at the Grove and I wrote this book and several others down as ones I would like someday. Where that list is now, no idea, ...more
Marsha
Apr 23, 2012 Marsha rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, children, fantasy
Here are some old favorites and odd fables as told through the warped vision of Jay Ward. For those of you who remember the animated Rocky and Bullwinkle (a flying squirrel in an aviator helmet and his dippy moose friend, respectively), these fairy tales were wonderfully wacky interludes between their comic adventures fighting Boris and Natasha as they schemed for Fearless Leader. Diverting stuff and not necessarily for the kiddies.
AK
May 28, 2014 AK rated it liked it
Like most other people who stumbled across this book, I, too, was really excited because it reminded me of The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show. I only have a vague memory of the show these days, but I know the Fractured Fairy Tales segment was my favorite part. It was nice to be reminded of that.
David Ward
Nov 23, 2014 David Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, film, fiction
Fractured Fairy Tales by A.J. Jacobs (Bantam Books 1997) (Fiction). This is a collection of twenty-five of the “Fractured Fairy Tales” which were shown on the television series “Rocky and Bullwinkle.” My rating: 7/10. finished 2004.
Wils Cain
Dec 17, 2011 Wils Cain rated it really liked it
I seemed to have missed the animated version of these on the Rocky and Bullwinkle show. These made me laugh out loud. Great short stories of taking the fairy tales we all know and turning them on their heads.
Samantha Penrose
Jul 08, 2009 Samantha Penrose rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: NO ONE ---Not even an enemy!
Shelves: folklore, older-kids
If I could have I would have given this book less than one star...It was awful! I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Please DO NOT read this book.
I painfully pushed through this so that I could honestly review it and it was the worst hour of my life.
Linda
Jan 05, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I loved these as a child watching Bullwinkle & Rocky. A friend gave me the book for Christmas a few years past and I thoroughly enjoyed reading them again. I think that this set me up for my future fascination with writers who re-work fairy tales.
Debbi
May 14, 2012 Debbi rated it really liked it
Not quite as fun as watching the cartoons, but almost. I'm so glad Jacobs decided to record them for posterity.
Velma
Jan 08, 2015 Velma marked it as tbr-own-yet-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: your inner child
Recommended to Velma by: Rocky & Bullwinkle
Thank you to my cousin Julie for the gift of fairy tales!
Terrence
A fun visit back to the retelling of fairy tales from Saturday Morning cartoons. I enjoyed the drawings of sound effects such as BANG! or POOF! that were included in the text.
Zena Gavin
Nov 09, 2012 Zena Gavin rated it liked it
The stories are short and funny! Good for a small read but not what you would look for unless you want simple and easy to follow short stories.
JoAnn
Nov 11, 2008 JoAnn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
How funny is it that this is the same author that wrote The Year of Living Biblically! I had no idea.
David
Dec 23, 2007 David rated it it was amazing
Rember the fairy episodes from Rocky and Bullwinkle...... do ya??

Fun book, good beach read......
Plot2themoon
Feb 06, 2014 Plot2themoon rated it liked it
Fun little book. I would love for the author to be a baby sitter. I can just picture him with little kids giggling over these stories.
Shea Layton
Shea Layton rated it liked it
Jun 19, 2012
Bonnie Fazio
Bonnie Fazio rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2014
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Daryl
Daryl rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2010
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Freckles
Freckles rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Jim Krapenc
Jim Krapenc rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Kathy Govreau
Kathy Govreau rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2015
Aziz
Aziz rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2013
  • The Complete Fairy Tales
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • Jim Henson's Storyteller
  • Fairy tales: traditional stories retold for gay men
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • Wonder Tales: Six French Stories of Enchantment
  • Sister Emily's Lightship and Other Stories
  • Something Big Has Been Here
  • The Enchanted Wood
  • Twice Upon a Time
  • The Fairy Tale Trap (Ivy Thorn, #1)
  • The Darwin Awards III: Survival of the Fittest (Darwin Awards, #3)
  • All my best friends
  • Sugar Cane: A Caribbean Rapunzel
  • Silver Birch, Blood Moon
  • Giambattista Basile's the Tale of Tales, or Entertainment for Little Ones
  • The Tale of the Dead Princess and the Seven Knights
  • The Fairy-Tale Princess: Seven Classic Stories from the Enchanted Forest
A.J. Jacobs is a New York Times bestselling author, Esquire editor and human guinea pig.

Among Jacobs’ life experiments:
--The Know-It-All. The bestselling memoir of the year he spent reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica in a quest to become the smartest person in the world.
--The Year of Living Biblically. The bestseller about his life as the ultimate biblical man. He followed every rule of th
More about A.J. Jacobs...

“Which just goes to prove. Not everybody can be Herman Cappachino. Whatever that means.” 1 likes