Fighting the Current

Fighting the Current

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  47 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Theresa "Tee" Stanford figures her life is smooth sailing, but everything changes when a drunk driver hits her father, leaving him mentally disabled. With her last year of high school looming, Tee can no longer rely on her old dreams for the future.
Published September 1st 2004 by Lobster Press (first published January 9th 2004)

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by hoopsielv for TeensReadToo.com

Tee's senior year of high school should be filled with happy memories of friends, family, and college dreams. It's anything but that. A local drunk hit her father and he's in rehabilitation with the ability of a five-year-old. Since she doesn't have much of a relationship with her mother, Tee is living with an aunt who is a popular author.

It's time for Tee to put her life back together. She is a good student and wants to get an early acceptance to a pre...more
Bniceygresham
This is about a girl whose father gets hit by a drunk driver and leaves him in an almost vegetative state. When her father finally comes out of the coma, he has the mind and the memory of a child. Throughout the book he gains his memory back but its not enough because the girl is facing many more problems than that. She thought senior year was supposed to be easy with a canoing trip but that was before she met Ethan, Ellie, and Dr. Spellman. She has to realize things on her own although nothing...more
Purpleduck
This was a suprisingly good YA contemporary. I got this book a few years ago as a gift and it had been sitting on my shelf ever since. I had no idea what this book was about going in because I had never heard of it and I don't like reading the blurb on the back. This is one of the better YA contemporaries I've read. There's also the added bonus that it Canadian so it was nice reading about a setting I'm more familiar with.
Brittany
This book was a great read. I found myself not really wanting to put it down. Although the book was good I thought the ending could have been a little better. It was almost like the end of the book was rushed, just to get it done. Overall the book was a great read though.
Bernice
About a girl whose father gets hit and it leaves him in a vegetative state. He recovers but has the memory of a child. He slowly gains his memory back but the girl must learn that she has to be independent of everyone if she wants to potential to hold on to her dreams.
Haley Wieting
I really loved how Heather made you think about what would you have done if that happened to you. I also liked how everything was tied together and you could understand everything that was going on in the book.
Nichole Horton
I was touched by this story. It was powerful and I couldn't put it down. I would leap at the opprutunity to read the book again (And Again).
De'ondre Prentiss
I read this book for a class project in my Drivers Ed Class. One of the best books I've read
Celine
I loved this book. I can't wait to read it again.
Melanie Brooker
Melanie Brooker marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Mary Mustachio
Mary Mustachio marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Sarah Keating
Sarah Keating marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kelly Souva
Kelly Souva marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Paola
Paola marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Jaqueline
Jaqueline marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2013
Mickeybutnotthemouse
Mickeybutnotthemouse marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Heather Waldorf was born in Ottawa and raised in small-town Eastern Ontario. She now lives in Toronto with Moose, a twelve-year-old golden retriever. Heather is addicted to green tea, jigsaw puzzles, mystery novels and the TV show Bones. Also a lover of the great outdoors, she's never written a novel that doesn't, at some point, put the main character in a canoe.

Heather received her fine arts degr...more
More about Heather Waldorf...
Grist Tripping Leftovers